The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Novation Peak vs Prophet Rev 2..
Old 13th March 2018
Novation Peak vs Prophet Rev 2..

Trying to decide between these two fantastic Poly-Synths right now to diversify my setup. The Novation Peak can do some things the Prophet can't, but it sounds like the prophet can produce warmer thicker sounds than the peak (although I haven't heard a patch where a peak attempts to imitate the prophet sound). If I got the peak, it'd be my primary Poly, while if I got the Rev2 I'd go used and get the 16 voice desktop version.

I'm most interested in hearing from people who have owned/used either of these, but even if not what your impressions are would be helpful. What their thoughts on the synth are. I have currently no way to get my hands on either to demo them, so I'm flying blind here. Decisions Decisions!
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
To me Peak has a lot more character, better (and more flexible) filter, and better effects. DAT REVERB THO.
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Seems like Peak vs. Prophet 12 would be a more fair fight, no? Comparing a hybrid to an analog isn’t quite fair.

But, if pressed, I’d say REV2 because I happen to really love the sound of the Curtis based DSI synths. Don’t get me wrong, I like the sound of the Peak. I just don’t love it. That filter is awesome on the BS2 (I know they tweaked it for Peak) but it can’t seem to help what sound like bland oscillators. When I heard them go though the wavetables I was a bit surprised at how boring they were and how few. (The food is terrible! And such small portions! ) So weird coming from the company that makes the Ultranova. Not a hybrid, but the Blofeld sounds so much more interesting to me and you can get one for less than half the price of the Peak.
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Maniac
Watching. I'm going through a similar quandary - Peak Vs. Prophet 12 Desktop Vs. Prophet Rev 2 Desktop
Old 14th March 2018 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker ➡️
Watching. I'm going through a similar quandary - Peak Vs. Prophet 12 Desktop Vs. Prophet Rev 2 Desktop
Yes, I believe I would consider the Prophet 12 too probably in this... a little more expensive than I'd like for a digital synth with cheap SHARC DSPs though, but still really good.
Old 15th March 2018
Gear Maniac
Bond, I know exactly what you mean. I REALLY want the Rev 2, but it is just a little big for the space I have. I have a whole dilemma going on here.
Old 16th March 2018 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker ➡️
Bond, I know exactly what you mean. I REALLY want the Rev 2, but it is just a little big for the space I have. I have a whole dilemma going on here.

I see, that is a dilemma!! You know what I did is take a side table and just stack synths on it, and I use a Roland V-drums sub and speakers or put on headphones to reference when facing that direction . Does the job! Looks tidy.

And when I say synths I really just mean my matrixbrute,the thing is fn huge.

If I was really in your situation and didn't want to expand to a side table though, I'd... prooooobably go peak? Though you could use an analog... OB-6 is smaller than Rev 2 I think? Also we have the same monitors. Best accuracy for the dollar hands down.
Old 16th March 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond117 ➡️
Trying to decide between these two fantastic Poly-Synths right now to diversify my setup. The Novation Peak can do some things the Prophet can't, but it sounds like the prophet can produce warmer thicker sounds than the peak (although I haven't heard a patch where a peak attempts to imitate the prophet sound). If I got the peak, it'd be my primary Poly, while if I got the Rev2 I'd go used and get the 16 voice desktop version.

I'm most interested in hearing from people who have owned/used either of these, but even if not what your impressions are would be helpful. What their thoughts on the synth are. I have currently no way to get my hands on either to demo them, so I'm flying blind here. Decisions Decisions!
Bottom line.....in my experience Novation is completely trustworthy, they have actually gone to bat for me, not once but TWICE

I've seen videos where Dave Smith calls his customers "wing-nuts" for wanting a competed OS

There's always the 30 return, so for me, I would (And did) grab the peak and put it through its paces. If it doesn't work for you return it. (I kept it, love it, but can't say whether it's right for YOU, only you can decide that.)

I have no problem encouraging people to go with Novation and give them first crack at your business, in a world where customer service is a dinosaur, Novation are still willing to EARN your dollars

Give the Peak a shot, you'll be glad you did.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
Seems like Peak vs. Prophet 12 would be a more fair fight, no? Comparing a hybrid to an analog isn’t quite fair.

But, if pressed, I’d say REV2 because I happen to really love the sound of the Curtis based DSI synths. Don’t get me wrong, I like the sound of the Peak. I just don’t love it. That filter is awesome on the BS2 (I know they tweaked it for Peak) but it can’t seem to help what sound like bland oscillators. When I heard them go though the wavetables I was a bit surprised at how boring they were and how few. (The food is terrible! And such small portions! ) So weird coming from the company that makes the Ultranova. Not a hybrid, but the Blofeld sounds so much more interesting to me and you can get one for less than half the price of the Peak.
I feel like there should be a new term for synths like the REV2 calling them "Analog" isn't really true, they aren't analog the way a poly 6 or MOOG is analog,

The REV 2 is every bit as digital as the Peak, the main difference being Novation isn't trying to fool you,

There is no real "analog warmth" to be found in a REV 2 you aren't getting an analog synth in the classic sense.
Old 16th March 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
FYI, we had a 400 euro price-drop on Peak over here in the Netherlands (at Bax shop to be precise) over the last few days.
Old 16th March 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
You might also include the Modal 002R on your list; I just couldn't get into the sound of the Peak myself (though I've always quite liked the all-VA KS-* and K-Station range).

And I keep trying to give the Peak the benefit of the doubt, but every time I try it, the filter just puts me off.

Contrast that with the Prophet-12, which has a great filter section and somewhat different digital oscillators that seem to bed well...not a fan of the DSI DCO synths sound myself (Oberheim Matrix 6 / 1000 is more my speed, though far less featured), but they are very capable and complete synths, with the REV2 being the pinnacle of that approach.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by olafmol ➡️
FYI, we had a 400 euro price-drop on Peak over here in the Netherlands (at Bax shop to be precise) over the last few days.
Yep Bax UK is showing quite a big discount (priced less than £1k), but out of stock at the moment. Juno also has a bit of a discount.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikysimon ➡️
Yep Bax UK is showing quite a big discount (priced less than £1k), but out of stock at the moment. Juno also has a bit of a discount.
Damn.. now how would I order something like that to ship to the states....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond117 ➡️
Damn.. now how would I order something like that to ship to the states....
don't forget we actually pay 20% VAT on our stuff, so probably your US prices are much lower anyway, even after such a decrease.
Old 16th March 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I've made commercial patches for both and the reality is that they are both really good Synths. It's not a case of which is "better" really, just what speaks to you in terms of the Sound, features, playability...and lot's of other descriptive words. I can tell you what I prefer and it's purely for the overall Sound Quality and capability and that's The PEAK. If I had to retire to a Desert Island, I would take my OB6 and the PEAK. As mentioned before, it has a character, the Filter is great and colourful and of course the Reverb...Then again, it's not my only Synth, which is important.

The REV 2 though, has everything you need in a Synth, high voice count, the ability to Stack and Split patches, more diverse FX and more Modulation possibilities that can tie your head in a knot if you're not careful. They have improved (to my Ears) the dynamic range of the Synth, the lows are warmer and the highs sweeter...that said, it is still a Prophet 08.

When it comes to these 2 Synths, plus many more of recent years, you can't really go wrong with any of them...As long as you realise, there isn't that one Synth that can satisfy all of your needs, then you can't really go wrong with either.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by magikroom ➡️
...As long as you realise, there isn't that one Synth that can satisfy all of your needs, then you can't really go wrong with either.
^This. We’re in an era where everything (almost) is good, some things are great. Is Hagen Daz better than Ben & Jerry’s? To some people, yeah but really they’re just different takes on a basic thing. I’m still amazed at what I get out of my Micromonsta. I think it was $279 and to me it sounds every bit as good as the Peak, it’s just different and not as full featured. In the OP’s case, just pick one and start saving for the next. They’re really so different that having both wouldn’t be an issue.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
It's showing at £1249 @ Bax, conveniently that's the exact same as the rest of our shops at the top of google

Shops live to compete eh
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro ➡️
It's showing at £1249 @ Bax, conveniently that's the exact same as the rest of our shops at the top of google

Shops live to compete eh
Heh, it was definitely 970 or threabouts this am. Maybe an error, and it's out of stock anyway...
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Heh, it was definitely 970 or threabouts this am. Maybe an error, and it's out of stock anyway...
I wasn't slanting at you mate the shops make me laugh is all

Edit: the reason I checked and fed back is because when it was mentioned above the a few hundred euro off I thought now was the chance for a bargain but no dice, I'm not in a rush to spend more than I want and right now I'm not sure the peak is worth best part of 1300.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’m still amazed at what I get out of my Micromonsta. I think it was $279 and to me it sounds every bit as good as the Peak, it’s just different and not as full featured.
The Peak is aliasing free and the Micromonsta is not...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictus ➡️
If it sounds good, it is good.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro ➡️
right now I'm not sure the peak is worth best part of 1300.
Yeah, me neither. But if the price drops a bit I'll probably get one.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I've got aliasing free synths all over the place. An interesting character is a lot more important to me, and so far I don't find Peak's character particularly interesting. There is only a single demo that really made me pay attention to it, but even that was just the best one I had heard from it. They're going to have to update its wavetables to be a lot more interesting before I'll take another listen.
Old 16th March 2018
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
I'm totally not looking at Peak as a wavetable-first synth. There are other synths that do it better. And that is fine. Neat bonus, cool. Use wavetables with FM? Yay! No matter how dull the wavetable, that's a load of fun right there.
Old 16th March 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I wish the Novation Peak was 16 voices, offered two 8 voice parts, that can be layered/split like the REV2. each part with independent effects. That would have been an instant buy for me. I'm still considering adding the Peak, but not rushing, just in case something else catches my fancy by Summer.

Maybe Novation will consider making a Peak 2 in the future (16 voices, 2 Parts).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I’m still amazed at what I get out of my Micromonsta.
So how is it as an MPE synth -- have you played it with the Rise yet?

To be slightly more on topic, as a LinnStrumentalist I'm not buying any synths, hard or soft, that don't support MPE. I find the Peak pretty appealing in a lot of ways, but until/unless Novation adds MPE support, it's not for me.

(Playing "alternative controllers" is a great antidote to GAS!)
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've got aliasing free synths all over the place. An interesting character is a lot more important to me, and so far I don't find Peak's character particularly interesting. There is only a single demo that really made me pay attention to it, but even that was just the best one I had heard from it. They're going to have to update its wavetables to be a lot more interesting before I'll take another listen.
Our opinion diverges, but I got your point.
For the updates I hope they implement MPE support.
Old 17th March 2018 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Our opinion diverges, but I got your point.
For the updates I hope they implement MPE support.
I’d like that too, but I’m also waiting for Bitwig to pass MPE to external instruments.
Old 17th March 2018 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimwolf ➡️
So how is it as an MPE synth -- have you played it with the Rise yet?

To be slightly more on topic, as a LinnStrumentalist I'm not buying any synths, hard or soft, that don't support MPE. I find the Peak pretty appealing in a lot of ways, but until/unless Novation adds MPE support, it's not for me.

(Playing "alternative controllers" is a great antidote to GAS!)
I’ve not used it that way yet. Stupidly, Bitwig doesn’t pass MPE and I’m too lazy to disconnect the Rise and run it directly into the Micromonsta. Equator, Strobe 2, RePro (I’ve got such a badass distortion pad going on that it’ll make you weep) Falcon and other software that I’m not in dire need, but it would be nice if the people at Bitwig fixed this. There’s a good demo of it that Audiothingies did. Check it out on YouTube.
Old 17th March 2018
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
I’m actually harder on Peak than I personally believe. Maybe it’s because I’m disappointed at the type and variety of wavetables, but I have to admit that the second sound in this demo is one of the greatest synth sounds ever.

And although somewhat basic, it would be nice to have at least one hardware FM synth. It does cover ground that nothing I have really does... maybe I’m just not sure that covering that ground is worth $1300.
📝 Reply