The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studio Electronics Boomstars - mk2!
Old 9th December 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by invidi00s ➡️
Hi Just received my Boomstar 8106 and I'm LOVING it! Quick question, I'm of course very cautious (paranoid) about the turning on/off of the thing as per the instructions. Do I have to unplug it the right right way every time I want to turn it off, or can I switch it off from the wall socket and only use the unplug instructions when physically needing to move it? Cheers
socket is fine. When I had mine, I switched it on and off using a power strip.
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wald ➡️
socket is fine. When I had mine, I switched it on and off using a power strip.
Thanks, yeah I feel that seems like it should be safe. cheers
Here for the gear
https://soundcloud.com/invid/palacial-loop

For those interested, I made an arp loop on my 8106 with a little bit of reverb for atmos and to sit better in the mix. was mostly playing around so it swells a bit but man this thing sings like an angel when you want it to. There's a beat in there for context as well. Cheers
Old 20th September 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Long overdue to post on this subject. About 8 months ago I got a matrixbrute on sale with the intent of creating a patch bank to sell.
By coincidence I had to make a trip up to voltage and company, who reps and distributes for many brands such as modal, analog solutions, and studio electronics.
When I was there I asked Mike if he still had an SE3X for me to try out. Sadly, he said they'd already shipped off to sweetwater for an order.
But he recommended I give the boomstar a try. I hadn't followed much about them. I apparently had it confused with the tonestar, having no idea it came in so many variants, and now prettier as a mK2. So I took home the 8106 for the weekend...
Within 5 minutes of hooking it up at my home studio, I had a huge grin on my face, and was genuinely blown away. By nights end I'd decided to let go of the matrixbrute and instead get a boomstar. Ive only ever owned one mono synth at any given time, and it'd been a while since owning one at all.
So I found a good deal on one from reverb and have had an 8106 boomstar of my own ever since.
This badass little box is the best monosynth I've ever heard. I took it to knobcon and had it hooked up to the modal argon8 to show off some of the new effects. Alot of heads turned. Turns out a lot of other people haven't heard em either. Every reaction was wide-eyed and smiles.

This thing truly is something special. It resides just to the left of my main keyboard on my desk, just like on the videos I'm posting below.

Would love to see a six voice monster version with a little more midi control lol.

https://youtu.be/86q0oG_1QOE

https://youtu.be/JETD40P5Cag
Old 20th September 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyLoops ➡️
Long overdue to post on this subject. About 8 months ago I got a matrixbrute on sale with the intent of creating a patch bank to sell.
By coincidence I had to make a trip up to voltage and company, who reps and distributes for many brands such as modal, analog solutions, and studio electronics.
When I was there I asked Mike if he still had an SE3X for me to try out. Sadly, he said they'd already shipped off to sweetwater for an order.
But he recommended I give the boomstar a try. I hadn't followed much about them. I apparently had it confused with the tonestar, having no idea it came in so many variants, and now prettier as a mK2. So I took home the 8106 for the weekend...
Within 5 minutes of hooking it up at my home studio, I had a huge grin on my face, and was genuinely blown away. By nights end I'd decided to let go of the matrixbrute and instead get a boomstar. Ive only ever owned one mono synth at any given time, and it'd been a while since owning one at all.
So I found a good deal on one from reverb and have had an 8106 boomstar of my own ever since.
This badass little box is the best monosynth I've ever heard. I took it to knobcon and had it hooked up to the modal argon8 to show off some of the new effects. Alot of heads turned. Turns out a lot of other people haven't heard em either. Every reaction was wide-eyed and smiles.

This thing truly is something special. It resides just to the left of my main keyboard on my desk, just like on the videos I'm posting below.

Would love to see a six voice monster version with a little more midi control lol.

https://youtu.be/86q0oG_1QOE

https://youtu.be/JETD40P5Cag
Congrats on the purchase! Loves the 8106.
Old 21st September 2022 | Show parent
SRT
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyLoops ➡️

This thing truly is something special.
Yep. I have an 8106 mk2, 5089 mk1 and 3003 mk1. Over time I was fortunate to score all three for just over $2K.

Comparatively, the 8106 has a smooth, polished, modern sound. The 3003 is surprisingly versatile, anywhere from round to biting while the 5089 is gnarly Moog. There is nothing about these synths sound that is subpar, the oscillators are thick and alive, the LPF's exquisite, sync sounds great, and proper gain staging with or without overdrive yields a variety of tones. Despite the small form factor SE packed in a fair amount of modulation options and the envelopes/vca rock.

Boomstars may have been somewhat forgotten in the sea of cheap analogs and reissues, but their sound is second to none and they are worth every penny.
📝 Reply