Quantcast
Korg Prologue - Page 146 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korg Prologue
Old 19th August 2018 | Show parent
Deleted 2c2ba78
Mine has never had any issues at all (other than that software bug with the auto-shutdown, which is fixed by just turning it off).

It is seriously freaking cold in our studio - it has never made any difference and it the Prologue is always well in tune.
Old 19th August 2018 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimknopf ➡️
Why would anyone want to keep a faulty unit???
Apparently it's a popular choice here to keep this synth even with the faults rather than return it...it seems that Korg must follow the sales numbers, so if the sales numbers are very stable than they'll see no big issues that need to be adressed...but if market dictates that a fix is required, than Korg can pressure their present A-Team to fix it...(IMHO).
Old 20th August 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by puta_locura ➡️
Apparently it's a popular choice here to keep this synth even with the faults rather than return it...it seems that Korg must follow the sales numbers, so if the sales numbers are very stable than they'll see no big issues that need to be adressed...but if market dictates that a fix is required, than Korg can pressure their present A-Team to fix it...(IMHO).
I don't believe this. I know of at least five GS friends that have returned theirs because of the tuning issue. Some have repurchased and have gotten lucky with no new tuning issues but I would say it is rather a rare choice for those with this atonal problem keeping the synth.
Old 20th August 2018
Gear Addict

I also meanwhile know of several buyers, who have returned units with the e/f/f# tuning issue. Perhaps someone just playing around with the synth might decide to keep it anyway. But it's hard to imagine, that anyone doing serious recording or playing live with a Prologue, would even consider keeping such a faulty unit.

I can also confirm what was said above: Even if the temperature specs may look a bit suspicious, I didn't have serious tuning issues generally, across the whole synth. For most notes all was fine after warming up and manual retuning, even after hours of use in summer temperatures.

It's just those weird, recurring mistuned e, f and f# notes, which drive you crazy in the long run.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I just ordered a Prologue 16 and I'm looking to try it out during a small festival on the upcoming weekend. It will hopefully replace my Moog Sub 37 (which requires a pedal board) for stage duties and will sit on top of a Nord Stage 3 88. Really looking forward to having some fun with it (and I did make sure to order from a retailer with a 30-day return policy).

I played the Prologue 8 in the store for a while a few days ago and it was pretty awesome (no tuning issues). It's funny how hard it is to find a poly that has a good sound, build in effects and a display with patch names I hope I have found it in Prologue (nope, Rev2 didn't convince me).

Do you guys have any recommendations for a gig bag? I'm looking at the Mono 61. Anything else worth considering (note: I'm not looking for a flight case)? The PL-Sequenz from Korg does not seem to be available yet.

Thanks!
B
Deleted cec0d5b
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastolf ➡️
I just ordered a Prologue 16 [..] It will hopefully replace my Moog Sub 37.
That's quite an odd replacement, if you don't mind me saying.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just ordered a Prologue 16 ... will sit on top of a Nord Stage 3 88. ...
That really sounds like a good pairing.
Old 20th August 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yep, it's not strange at all if it does what you're after I reckon. Not wanting to be unnecessarily repetitive, I'll just mention something I said earlier; as someone who was keen to snap up one of these as soon as they came out, the very first time I played an 8 note version (about 6 months ago or so) the tuning in the bottom end sounded so random immediately that I mentioned it to the (otherwise pretty knowledgable) guys in the shop, but it seemed to have passed them by. Maybe it's because my old gear has already bugged me in this department for many years. I suppose it's just what you want and how you play.
Old 21st August 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It's funny how hard it is to find a poly that has a good sound, build in effects and a display with patch names I hope I have found it in Prologue (nope, Rev2 didn't convince me).

Thanks!
B
I would tend to agree with you, did you own a Rev2 and then return it? I have a Rev2 and am not real thrilled with it. I'm an older guy who made my living in the 80's playing clubs/restaraunts/hotels, and I used both a Roland Jupiter 8 and Oberheim OBXa on stage (along with a DX7), and I'm having a hard time getting into any of the modern analog polysynths. Between my Rev2, Deepmind 12, and Korg Minilogue .. the one that floats my boat the most is actually the Minilogue believe it or not. So its been with great interest I've been eyeing the Prologue and lurking this forum every couple days. Lets us know how it goes with yours regarding the tuning .. thats really the only thing thats kept me away from it.
Here for the gear

New to the forum and just wanted to say that I've had my Prologue 16 almost 2 months and havn't noticed any issues with it yet.

Korg is doing a AMA on Reddit at /r/synthesizers/ on August 28th 7pm EST

Reddit Synthesizers
Should be a great opportunity to ask about issues people are having.

Was hoping that Korg would have released some custom oscillators by now but I did notice a few out there from third partys. The first one has been mentioned earlier in this thread but it seems they now have 3 custom oscillators and a free ModFX listed
Prologue Custom Oscillators
The other one has a cool mini wavetable kind of oscillator and even has a demo up for download.
Edouard | Make the waves dance.

Would like to know if there's any others out there or if anyone has used these.
Deleted 2c2ba78
Made a bunch of new sounds tonight - one came out especially crazy.

This is a single patch, single layer on the Prologue 16 - live playing with mod wheel (fading in and out LFO INT) and cross mod depth.

Not exactly something I'd use in a mix but quite a striking sound IMO.
Old 21st August 2018
Deleted cec0d5b
Alas, no Prologue for me today due to the curious incident of the missing shipment in the night-time. The shop missed their UPS collection last night. Hey ho. Apparently it SHOULD be here tomorrow.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino ➡️
Made a bunch of new sounds tonight - one came out especially crazy.

This is a single patch, single layer on the Prologue 16 - live playing with mod wheel (fading in and out LFO INT) and cross mod depth.

Not exactly something I'd use in a mix but quite a striking sound IMO.
Grand intro for some sci fi movie
Here for the gear

My Korg Prologue 16 is working fine too (Netherlands).
Only one lock up so far, maybe because I was pressing too many buttons at once

Result can be found here:

TR8, Deepmind 12 for the bass arpeggiator thing in the beginning. The rest is Prologue.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avataris ➡️
  • My Korg Prologue 16 is working fine too.
  • Only one lock up so far.
A contradiction, if you ask me. An instrument of this kind should never "lock up". Prophet-5 never locked-up. Oberheim OBX, OBXa, etc. ... never locked-up. It's not like the Prologue is some kind of complicated modulation monster. In that respect, my Prophet-08 never locked up. The REV2 had an issue with the FX section going wonky in the release version of the firmware ... fixed almost immediately.

Get it together Korg ... this is a great sounding instrument, but your QC is lacking.
Deleted cec0d5b
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZT Scheer ➡️
Prophet-5 never locked-up. Oberheim OBX, OBXa, etc. ... never locked-up.
I could be wrong but I think the Prologue lock-ups are due to the auto power off function. If you disable that then it doesn’t lock up. That should obviously not happen anyway, but there’s a painless solution in the meantime.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted cec0d5b ➡️
I could be wrong but I think the Prologue lock-ups are due to the auto power off function. If you disable that then it doesn’t lock up. That should obviously not happen anyway, but there’s a painless solution in the meantime.
Could be, it was interesting to see that the unit would not power off with the power switch. I had to unplug it from the mains to get it up and running again.

Is there anyone who opened the unit? I am looking for some interior pics.
Deleted cec0d5b
Quote:
Could be, it was interesting to see that the unit would not power off with the power switch. I had to unplug it from the mains to get it up and running again.
In Global settings, turn off the auto power off feature and you should be fine. The power “switch” isn’t actually a switch in the conventional sense due to Japanese power regulations, from what I’ve read.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
A contradiction, if you ask me. An instrument of this kind should never "lock up". Prophet-5 never locked-up. Oberheim OBX, OBXa, etc. ... never locked-up. It's not like the Prologue is some kind of complicated modulation monster. In that respect, my Prophet-08 never locked up. The REV2 had an issue with the FX section going wonky in the release version of the firmware ... fixed almost immediately.

Get it together Korg ... this is a great sounding instrument, but your QC is lacking.
Never had a synth lock up either in 40 years, but have had other issues like an OBXa that wouldn't power on one day, turned out to be a power supply, and cost me $300.00 to fix in 80's dollars (the synth was less than 2 years old). Stuff happens. Hopefully its the auto power off like someone else mentioned .. don't like that feature at all on my modern Korgs.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:

I've had issues with vintage and modern synths. My first Sub 37 had a keybed that was crooked. My 2nd Sub37's display screen went blank. My vintage Model D needs some love every few years. My Rev 2 locked up when calibrating twice and the encoder knobs aren't exactly perfect. None of these issues stopped me from working with the synth in question. Just like the Prologue's issues haven't stopped me. Just a little perspective that I think is sorely lacking here.

The only thing Korg needs to be better at is communication with the users. The build quality of the Prologue is stunning compared to the others mentioned above.

Anyway,

This is what Korg are saying (officially) as of today about the tuning issue...

Quote:
We have seen some reports of a slight detuning on an isolated range of keys, which Korg Inc.'s engineers are now investigating.

Korg stands behind our products, and if there is any sort of issue, we will work to make it right.

Thank you and best regards,
I'm still using the Prologue each and every day and haven't had any issues for a while now. You would think I was the exception here. But I think not.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
i played a PROLOGUE in a shop today, and while i do not understand the price
compared to MINI/MONOLOGUE prices, i was really surprised, how much you can do with it.

a PROLOGUE, a MINILOGUE, a NEUTRON and a ALPHA BASE and you got a fantastic techno setup.
Deleted 2c2ba78
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonStrom ➡️
i played a PROLOGUE in a shop today, and while i do not understand the price
compared to MINI/MONOLOGUE prices, i was really surprised, how much you can do with it.
The Minilogue is about $520 street - let's say you can get a crazy good deal and get a new one for $420 (which is unlikely). It is a great 4 voice 2-OSC analog poly with minikeys and decent, if definitely budget, construction.

Even if you pay full price for a Prologue 16 and drop $1999 on one (which, really, you should not) you will get a 16 voice hybrid 3-OSC synth with an incredible new filter, comprehensive digital features including a very novel expandable OSC/FX path, an amazing sounding low-freq compressor, a dual-layer architecture, the most impeccable build quality you'll find and one of the best feeling 61 key synth keybeds you can buy today (even if, or perhaps in part because, it lacks aftertouch), you even get proper mod and bend wheels!

Price makes perfect sense to me.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
agreed, it is a great synth. at this price, 2 or 3 limitations are a bid stupid (sequencer, modulations etc) but like i said, a really good synth.
deep and lots of surprises in there...
Old 22nd August 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Not if you wish to return it for being faulty, no....
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotundness ➡️
[...]

This is what Korg are saying (officially) as of today about the tuning issue...
We have seen some reports of a slight detuning on an isolated range of keys, which Korg Inc.'s engineers are now investigating.

Korg stands behind our products, and if there is any sort of issue, we will work to make it right.

Thank you and best regards,
I'm still using the Prologue each and every day and haven't had any issues for a while now. You would think I was the exception here. But I think not.
Where did they say that? I'm guessing it's an email but to be sure.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
[...]

It's not a full view but Korg have this image on their website:

If you scroll down this Japanese interview you'll find more pictures of the voice board.

What are you trying to see?
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
New Demo

By the way. Aside of the tuning issue, the sound of the prologue is gorgeous. Here some of my own greater patches:
YouTube
Old 22nd August 2018
Deleted cec0d5b
Alas, my replacement Prologue 16 has the same tuning issues. There’s something else I’ve discovered too... namely the VCO waves are out of tune with EACH OTHER(!). I have no idea how as they’re usually derived from the same source.

What I mean is... if you repeatedly press an E until you get an out of tune VCO (against the multi-engine) and then change the VCO wave to Tri or Square, it’s no longer out of tune. However, change if back to Saw and it’s out by 16c or so again.

That’s really weird, don’t you think? I don’t know if the VCOs in the Prologue are triangle or square as their root waveform, but something screwy is going on with the sawtooth generation somewhere down the line - this makes me think it can’t be software because if it were, the triangle and square should be out of tune by the same amount.

Thoughts?

By the way, if you’re interested, I posted a video demonstrating this on Twitter (so that I could tag Korg in the post):

Korg Prologue Tuning Issues (video)
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by markodarko ➡️
Alas, my replacement Prologue 16 has the same tuning issues. There’s something else I’ve discovered too... namely the VCO waves are out of tune with EACH OTHER(!). I have no idea how as they’re usually derived from the same source.

What I mean is... if you repeatedly press an E until you get an out of tune VCO (against the multi-engine) and then change the VCO wave to Tri or Square, it’s no longer out of tune. However, change if back to Saw and it’s out by 16c or so again.

That’s really weird, don’t you think? I don’t know if the VCOs in the Prologue are triangle or square as their root waveform, but something screwy is going on with the sawtooth generation somewhere down the line - this makes me think it can’t be software because if it were, the triangle and square should be out of tune by the same amount.

Thoughts?

By the way, if you’re interested, I posted a video demonstrating this on Twitter (so that I could tag Korg in the post):

Have you played with the sawtooth shape? If I remember correctly it starts out at the wrong octave (compared to the other waves) and then gets back in line when you play with its shape, maybe this impact what you've just found too.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by markodarko ➡️

Thoughts?

Seems as if the tuning routine uses different comparator points for each waveshape; it would also explain the strange pulse-wave tuning issues relative to the others.

Maybe it's time for them to rehire Dave Smith as a consultant ;P
📝 Reply