The UB-Xa Synthesizer
Old 15th February 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralQuality ➑️
The UB-Xa Synthesizer-ub-xa_p0cqm_top.jpg

Perfect!
I have seen OB-Xa's in the wild, at friend's studios, for sale, always in need of repair at some point or another. Even if I spent the going rate on an original at around $5-8K, it would still require maintenance and repair over time as most vintage synths do these days. I'm totally in if a keyboard version happens as I have always wanted an OB-Xa. I would be happy with four or five octaves, no problem.
Old 15th February 2018
Lives for gear

As someone so aptly put it; if its got keys they need to be good and the other options, mod wheel , back panel jacks etc and the ability to control external synths with ccs etc need to be available, if not, then its not going infront if him.
And i think thats important, with space issues , playability and amount of use, even inspiration which afterall is what is so cherished with creating music.

Nailing the sound is never 100% because its somewhat subjective, but actual mechanics are much less so..

With that said i prefer a desktop
Old 15th February 2018
Gear Addict

5 octave please. AND MAN does that look nice. THANK YOU!!!

And yes - PADDLE Bender and Mod!!! That's one of the things i loved about the original OBs!
Old 15th February 2018
Gear Nut

Do you guys plan on having an audio input?
Old 15th February 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Flippin 'ell. I need to get saving.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Behringer ➑️
Do you prefer a keyboard over a desktop version and if yes would you vote for a 4 or 5 octave version.
For a keyboard version I would very much prefer a 5 octave version.

In general I'm all for keyboards over modules, but it looks like you're considering cloning the pitch/mod paddles as well and I'm not sure how well I would get along with those. Actually the same thing would apply if it would get wheels as found on the Deepmind and I sense there is zero chance of this getting a Roland-like pitch/mod stick which I strongly prefer.

I'm leaning very slightly towards wanting a keyboard, but only by an extremely small margin because of the paddles (or wheels). On the VC-340 I don't care too much about what's there because I don't see myself playing fast leads and solos on a stringsynth/vocoder but on this...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popbott ➑️
I have seen OB-Xa's in the wild, at friend's studios, for sale, always in need of repair at some point or another. Even if I spent the going rate on an original at around $5-8K, it would still require maintenance and repair over time as most vintage synths do these days. I'm totally in if a keyboard version happens as I have always wanted an OB-Xa. I would be happy with four or five octaves, no problem.
If it's going to be 4 octaves I'd just as well have none. (I'd very much like a Prophet 6 but I'm only interested in the desktop version for exactly that reason.) Must be full size keys too. And with a decent action with some degree of mass in them. Spring force alone is never enough to feel right, you need some mass to accelerate against to feel the force with your fingers. And that's true even if it's not a velocity sensitive keyboard (speaking of which, if we're going to have extras, I think would be the one to start with -- and even if the synth didn't respond to it, kind of a waste to have a keyboard that doesn't send velocity via MIDI).
Old 15th February 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
In theory: 5 octave keyboard. In practice (since I'm all out of space): Module. Can we please have both?!

And they look AWESOME!!!
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindseye9 ➑️
Desktop would be my preference...
5 octave (not less) full size keys would my second choice.
Definitely concur desktop 1st then 5 octave 2nd. My particular situation I have an OB6 that I sold 1 kidney to purchase, but if someone twisted my arm I could deal with a 5 octave UBXA. Looks awesome!
Old 15th February 2018
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
for me desktop would be much better cos of the space. also some fx. as i understand till know you want bring back things AND for abnormal price. maybe you should consider D/neutron format as well as keyboard. and if keyboard than 5. and as always i love what you doing for us. neutron, D and this fella will be mine for sure
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Allow me to provide you with a quick update.

Aside from the earlier desktop version, many of you requested for a keyboard version of the UB-Xa synth and hence we thought we'd share some designs with you. We have asked our engineers to render a 5-octave keyboard version and use this opportunity to show you some of the insights how such a product is developed.

It all starts with the industrial design as well as definition and placement of all functional controls. Once this is completed, the next step is to transfer the "dxf" file which contain the component coordinates plus the artwork for the silk screen printing to the mechanical engineers.
Their job is now to translate the artwork into a fully functional design. In general this works quite smoothly but there are instances where mechanical conflicts arise and artwork changes are required. This collaboration between industrial designers as well as mechanical and system engineers gets more complicated whenever electrical or mechanical constraints come into play.

Over many decades our engineering teams have created a massive component library of close to 100,000 components which have been designed in a photo- and dimension-realistic manner.
This means that any product that is designed based on components from the library will automatically look and feel real, which helps us not only to shorten the design and review process but also skip all photography. As a result any changes can be done almost in real-time and there is no need for traditional photography anymore which is a huge time and cost saver. All our product images on our websites are renderings.

Today I am asking for your feedback in relation to the current design. Do you prefer a keyboard over a desktop version and if yes would you vote for a 4 or 5 octave version. Please remember that the actual features have not yet been decided as we're still gathering valuable input.

Thanks for your feedback.

Uli

5 octave full size keyboard, yes please!!!
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
It looks really wonderful. Also that the Oberheim Levers are on it, great idea! I would be happy with either 4 or 5 octaves.

And if 4 octaves: for the "one octave bass grip"-lovers you could implement a button to do that with one finger :-)

Also considering the price: How much more would a keyboard cost against a 4 or 5 octave model?

Maybe you can do it similar to the Deepmind: 4 octave 8 voice and 5 octave 16 voice, but please with the ability to swap in another 8 voices in the small model as well.

And as with the deepmind a keyboard and a module would be great.

Thanks for involving us, this is fun.
Old 15th February 2018
Deleted User
Definetly desktop for me. That thing would be hard to fit in my play room.
Here for the gear
As said before, getting the sound right must be the first priority, but otherwise I'd prefer a desktop, since my studio is already filled to the brim.

Exciting stuff, Ulli!
Old 15th February 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Beautiful - love the levers - 5 octaves please

Edit - just trying to work out what the extra jacks on the back are for ...
And thanks for midi though (hint Korg)
Old 15th February 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
No screen? No patch names? I think it is possible to take this cloning thing a little _too_ far...
Old 15th February 2018
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
in order of pref:

4 octaves
5 octaves
desktop
Old 15th February 2018
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Gimme five, please
Here for the gear

4 Octaves Version for sure !!!

Please ! some of use are till good keys players out there ;-)

I guaranty you, the Keys version will sell good !!!

Last edited by Slubar; 15th February 2018 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: miss spelling
Old 15th February 2018
Gear Maniac

I'd definitely prefer five octaves. A module would also be fine but with a keyboard the synth becomes a self-contained instrument.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Desktop please.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Desktop
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I love you, Uli!
Old 15th February 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Desktop for me. If I would have to make room for a keyboard it would also have to serve as a master controller with velocity, aftertouch, ability to output arp notes, etc, and definitely 5 octaves.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Aside from the earlier desktop version, many of you requested for a keyboard version of the UB-Xa synth and hence we thought we'd share some designs with you. We have asked our engineers to render a 5-octave keyboard version and use this opportunity to show you some of the insights how such a product is developed.

It all starts with the industrial design as well as definition and placement of all functional controls. Once this is completed, the next step is to transfer the "dxf" file which contain the component coordinates plus the artwork for the silk screen printing to the mechanical engineers.
Their job is now to translate the artwork into a fully functional design. In general this works quite smoothly but there are instances where mechanical conflicts arise and artwork changes are required. This collaboration between industrial designers as well as mechanical and system engineers gets more complicated whenever electrical or mechanical constraints come into play.

Over many decades our engineering teams have created a massive component library of close to 100,000 components which have been designed in a photo- and dimension-realistic manner.
This means that any product that is designed based on components from the library will automatically look and feel real, which helps us not only to shorten the design and review process but also skip all photography. As a result any changes can be done almost in real-time and there is no need for traditional photography anymore which is a huge time and cost saver. All our product images on our websites are renderings.

Today I am asking for your feedback in relation to the current design. Do you prefer a keyboard over a desktop version and if yes would you vote for a 4 or 5 octave version. Please remember that the actual features have not yet been decided as we're still gathering valuable input.

Uli
Desktop module first please!

Keyboard looks nice as well, but many of us electronic musicians in big cities have very little space!

please if you can go for 12 voices + extra modulation (velocity/extra lfo/poly AT etc)
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Uli
Thank you Uli! What you have done with the Model D is amazing! I love this 5 octave version and I hope that you stick with it. The only thing I would like to see added is a real time delay effect knob so that I don't have to drag around an effects processor. This looks amazing and I will make sure that I am at the top of the list to get one. Your engineers are so lucky to be working for you, I wish I could do the same, synthesizers and music are my passion.
Old 15th February 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
MIDI in, out and thru yes. IEC power lead yes. I also like those transparent renderings so how about a clear perspex case. Joking
Old 15th February 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It does look lovely. 5 octaves would be my choice. Someday i may be able to get one of these
Old 15th February 2018
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I'd prefer a rack or desktop unit.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
5 octaves of real keys and internal PSU. Uli - you just made it onto my Christmas card list.

Assuming you nail the sound (and the Model D suggests your guys are getting good at this...), then I've already bought this - I just need to part with the money.

If it can't be 5 octaves, then I'd rather it be a module, but to put 4 octaves on this would almost constitute a crime.

Last edited by The Elf; 15th February 2018 at 06:45 PM..
πŸ“ Reply