Quantcast
The UB-Xa Synthesizer - Page 383 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The UB-Xa Synthesizer
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
  #11461
Lives for gear
 
Vectorman's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
The local music store experience isn't something I've even had for probably close to three decades, back in the days when I lived downstate for a while right after high school and we would drop into music stores to oooh and aaaah over an SY-77 or a JD800, for example. Where I live now up north, I'd likely have to travel four or five hours to find a store with a half-decent selection of electronic instruments. The last few times I dropped into stores only THREE hours away around Lansing (GC or otherwise), their synth/keyboard selection wasn't terribly exciting. Don't recall seeing much of anything analog. Mostly workstations like Montages and MODX's. Those living in and adjacent to big urban centers have a different experience, of course, but for a large portion of the states, it may as well be the dark side of the moon in terms of finding most of these instruments we talk about in a store.
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
  #11462
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by curry36 ➡️
I know that nobody can give me a real answer on that, but based on past experiences, how long could it still take untill the sale starts? Like a few months or even up to a year?

Really can't wait any longer to either buy an OB-6 or an UB-Xa.. hoped that I could have tested and compared both of them, as many ppl make the assumption that the Ub-Xa is gonna be sicker, but time's running out for me :(
There is no past experience for this, this is unique on many levels.
Firstly the UB-Xa was already late to market and had suffered several setbacks and back to the drawing board full redesigns, even before the first human died from the Covid 19 virus.
Secondly, this is Behringer's first true VCO analogue poly synth.
It's their first vintage clone poly with supposedly full analogue signal path.
They made their own heavily DSP supported, slightly Juno influenced DCO poly before, this is different, this is an analogue clone of a legendary poly synth.
Everyone knows the Oberheim has a flat out amazing sound; that's part of the huge challenge facing them for getting this thing right.
In my honest opinion, the Deepmind series simply DO NOT have this amazing, hugely-lusted-after sonic excellence; they are merely good for the money, a competent rival to the Minilogue series, so this is totally new territory for Behringer.

Nobody outside the Behringer inner circle of trust really knows when it is coming, if ever:

1. Is it really held up by a chip shortage or are they lying to cover up that yet another problem emerged during beta testing?
2. Assuming they aren't lying, when will they be able to get the necessary chips, that they can't currently get, to start producing?
1 month, 2, 6, a year, more?
3. Assuming they are able to build some, when will they be able to ship those? What year? How many, enough for everyone, or just a few units?

People can't even seem to agree on the basic specs:
Does it have poly AT, or channel AT or no AT?
Is it 8 voice, or 16?
Does it have just the one filter cloned from the original, or a range of filters, Inc. CEM and SEM, I.E: those from the OB-X and OB-Xa?

People just don't know AND Behringer are giving out no further updates.
About 4 months ago, the beta test team did YouTube sound demos with no specs, release dates, or other info being released, just sound and video.

Then there were mumblings about it can't even be shipped after 4 whole years due to "chip shortages"

For months now, nothing....

Maybe you should start to think more seriously if you can stretch to an OB6, that's where I'm at currently.
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
  #11463
Gear Maniac
Yeah, it’s gonna be at least the end of 2022 going on to 2023 before the UB-Xa ships... and that’s just for Europe.
Old 1 day ago
  #11464
vlz
Lives for gear
 
vlz's Avatar
back when I was maybe ten, I was obsessed with electric guitars. Then I found there was a shop with them on display behind a glass window. I used to go there to admire them, but then one of the staff, this old man who was the granddad of the family who ran it, started yelling at me and telling me to get lost.

Makes you wonder really why pick on a starry-eyed kid who might in the future be a customer. I hated that old man.
Old 1 day ago
  #11465
Lives for gear
 
SkyWriter's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I did the books for a small music store once. I never bought brick and mortar retail again. The markup was insane.

Yeah, they're not really doing anyone other than themselves a favor.
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
  #11466
Lives for gear
 
Vectorman's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Forgive me a moment of silliness, but I was just picturing you having telekinetic powers like Carrie and that old curmudgeon's store disappearing into a hole in the ground.
Old 1 day ago
  #11467
Gear Head
 
I have a feeling that within the next few weeks B will give an update, whether it is good or bad news we will see.
As I see it, the silence is a good sign based on how they have used to communicate about things.
Old 20 hours ago | Show parent
  #11468
Lives for gear
 
Coorec's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by curry36 ➡️
I know that nobody can give me a real answer on that, but based on past experiences, how long could it still take untill the sale starts? Like a few months or even up to a year?

Really can't wait any longer to either buy an OB-6 or an UB-Xa.. hoped that I could have tested and compared both of them, as many ppl make the assumption that the Ub-Xa is gonna be sicker, but time's running out for me :(
OB-6 is not like OB-XA sound wise. Very different oscillators, filters and amps.

I got a Rev2 to fill the void til UB-Xa gets out. And i have to say i am not disappointed.
Old 19 hours ago | Show parent
  #11469
Lives for gear
 
digital 1010's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz ➡️
back when I was maybe ten, I was obsessed with electric guitars. Then I found there was a shop with them on display behind a glass window. I used to go there to admire them, but then one of the staff, this old man who was the granddad of the family who ran it, started yelling at me and telling me to get lost.

Makes you wonder really why pick on a starry-eyed kid who might in the future be a customer. I hated that old man.
I did the same at about age 9-10 eying up the guitars.at a local shop window The guys said come in and showed me Am and Em and I’ve never stopped playing decades later.
Old 19 hours ago | Show parent
  #11470
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWriter ➡️
I did the books for a small music store once. I never bought brick and mortar retail again. The markup was insane.

Yeah, they're not really doing anyone other than themselves a favor.
"The markup" might be insane in your view... but the profitability isn't.

For a brick and mortar store (whether musical instruments or pots and pans) to stay afloat, they need to double their wholesale on any given item. That's how you pay (ever-increasing) rents, labor, taxes, utilities, insurance, etc..

In a business reliant on big ticket items like a music shop, it's even worse - if you have a keyboard or guitar out for a demo and someone damages it, you're just out that money.

If you want to save money buying online, whatever, but it's not like the brick and mortar are ripping anyone off.
Old 17 hours ago | Show parent
  #11471
Lives for gear
 
SkyWriter's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooderson ➡️
"The markup" might be insane in your view... but the profitability isn't.

For a brick and mortar store (whether musical instruments or pots and pans) to stay afloat, they need to double their wholesale on any given item. That's how you pay (ever-increasing) rents, labor, taxes, utilities, insurance, etc..

In a business reliant on big ticket items like a music shop, it's even worse - if you have a keyboard or guitar out for a demo and someone damages it, you're just out that money.

If you want to save money buying online, whatever, but it's not like the brick and mortar are ripping anyone off.
Yeah, I get it. You can buy there then.
Old 17 hours ago | Show parent
  #11472
Gear Maniac
 
Really didn’t wanted to start a discussion about online vs offline retail here. Some people get the point others not. If everyone would get stuff like this the world would be a different place.. whatever. Uli doesn’t have a good reputation here in Germany. Even though I like his approach, I get why…
Old 17 hours ago | Show parent
  #11473
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWriter ➡️
Yeah, I get it. You can buy there then.
I do buy local and brick and mortar whenever possible, but if you 'get it' you wouldn't say dumb things like "the markup is insane." The markup is the bare minimum for a functioning concern.

The thing about racing to the bottom is that it's not really good in the long run - no local stores, no local sales taxes and property taxes (and fewer decent jobs); no place to run and grab a cable or strings when you need them in an emergency; "but I can get the cable next day from Amazon" works if you ignore the externalized costs of low wages and the human immiseration required for free next day delivery of a $20 SD card.
Old 17 hours ago | Show parent
  #11474
Lives for gear
 
SkyWriter's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooderson ➡️
I do buy local and brick and mortar whenever possible, but if you 'get it' you wouldn't say dumb things like "the markup is insane." The markup is the bare minimum for a functioning concern.

The thing about racing to the bottom is that it's not really good in the long run - no local stores, no local sales taxes and property taxes (and fewer decent jobs); no place to run and grab a cable or strings when you need them in an emergency; "but I can get the cable next day from Amazon" works if you ignore the externalized costs of low wages and the human immiseration required for free next day delivery of a $20 SD card.
It's a jungle out there.
Old 16 hours ago | Show parent
  #11475
Gear Guru
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPetz ➡️
Really didn’t wanted to start a discussion about online vs offline retail here. Some people get the point others not. If everyone would get stuff like this the world would be a different place.. whatever. Uli doesn’t have a good reputation here in Germany. Even though I like his approach, I get why…
everyone gets the point but we don't need to wave a flag of virtue

here is the thing, if its food on my table because i shop for good deals or food on someone elses because i paid more, i choose my table every time - yes a bit extreme as an example but that is the point - maybe it is you who doesn't get it

you speak for Germany now?
Old 15 hours ago | Show parent
  #11476
Lives for gear
 
jags's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec ➡️
I got a Rev2 to fill the void til UB-Xa gets out. And i have to say i am not disappointed.
Same here!!
Old 15 hours ago | Show parent
  #11477
Gear Maniac
 
Robert Smedberg's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Pricefixing is another way to ensure income otherwise…
There are a number of competitive top selling brands that have adopted this method.
Set a high price and prevent shops to lower them..

Last edited by Robert Smedberg; 3 hours ago at 09:18 AM..
Old 3 hours ago | Show parent
  #11478
Lives for gear
 
Coorec's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
You got some misconceptions about yourself and what you want, mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPetz ➡️
Really didn’t wanted to start a discussion about online vs offline retail here.
You wanted to. Thats why you did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPetz ➡️
Some people get the point others not.
If people disagree, its not because they dont get it, but because they have an own opinion, based on own experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPetz ➡️
Uli doesn’t have a good reputation here in Germany.
Of my personal acquaintances who do music, 100% own at least one piece of Behringer gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPetz ➡️
Even though I like his approach, I get why…
You dont like Ulis approach, hence you are critizising it in every of your posts here. Or may be you just dont get it...

Have you considered why our local retailers (which i support where i can, driving hours to buy "locally") are not bitching about the pricey brands? Yea, due to their part of the profits on them.
When Thomann and other retailers tried to force Behringer to increases the prices to better fit with other brands price schemes, they went to war with eachother. I for one am happy Uli won and prices are still low.
Old 3 hours ago | Show parent
  #11479
Lives for gear
 
Coorec's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Smedberg ➡️
Pricefixing is another way to ensure income otherwise…
There are a number of competitive top selling brands that have adopted this method.
Set a high price and prevent shops to lower them..
Yea its called "low price guarantee". Customers like the term, despite being the losing end of this bargain.
Old 3 hours ago | Show parent
  #11480
Lives for gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro ➡️
everyone gets the point but we don't need to wave a flag of virtue

here is the thing, if its food on my table because i shop for good deals or food on someone elses because i paid more, i choose my table every time - yes a bit extreme as an example but that is the point - maybe it is you who doesn't get it

you speak for Germany now?
I prefer looking at the bigger picture and longer term consequences.

Food is a good example.
Our individual choices impact our cities economics, and beyond that our whole societies (and not only in the long term as the last 2 years showed).
I prefer paying more to have local and higher quality fruits and vegetables and decently paid local farmers rather than buying much cheaper imported stuff that did thousands of kilometers in trucks coming from places where the guys are paid nothing…

It’s a personal choice sure.
But multiplied by hundreds of thousands it carves our cities and societies.
Old 2 hours ago | Show parent
  #11481
Gear Maniac
 
Robert Smedberg's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinw ➡️
I prefer looking at the bigger picture and longer term consequences.

Food is a good example.
Our individual choices impact our cities economics, and beyond that our whole societies (and not only in the long term as the last 2 years showed).
I prefer paying more to have local and higher quality fruits and vegetables and decently paid local farmers rather than buying much cheaper imported stuff that did thousands of kilometers in trucks coming from places where the guys are paid nothing…

It’s a personal choice sure.
But multiplied by hundreds of thousands it carves our cities and societies.
Well, that is two completely different products.
The synth online or in local shop is the same product.
Old 1 hour ago | Show parent
  #11482
Lives for gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Smedberg ➡️
Well, that is two completely different products.
The synth online or in local shop is the same product.
Sure, but somehow it’s the same type of underlying choices.
Buying local carrots or imported carrots, you’re still deciding whether or not to support your local actors.

But I guess those far fetched discussions would not happen if there was more to discuss on the UB-Xa

Cheers!
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 73 views: 18471
Avatar for string6theory
string6theory 27th September 2018
replies: 96 views: 10143
Avatar for Vectorman
Vectorman 11th July 2021
replies: 294 views: 24808
Avatar for Stormchild
Stormchild 14th July 2021
replies: 9672 views: 805538
Avatar for robotecho
robotecho 9 hours ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump