Quantcast
The UB-Xa Synthesizer - Page 351 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The UB-Xa Synthesizer
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
When is this coming out
Today I tried the OB-6 and as with the Prophet 6, it was just not at the same level as Prophet10 soundwise. Different league. Can't wait to test the Behringer OB - hope it does the job!
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel99 ➡️
Devil Fish will never happen. I know that for a fact.
Quoted you so we can come back to this

You don't do fact checking for Facebook by chance?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The OGs are undervalued in todays crazy climbing market for some reason IMHO (all things being relative). I can't see why so many classic polys are going for similar or so much more than these personally (especially in the UK where they are more rare than in the US). The vintage market is a fickle place but these sound great ... seriously unique and have massive provenance. My favourite synth next to the JP8 which is stratospheric in comparison.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro ➡️
Quoted you so we can come back to this

You don't do fact checking for Facebook by chance?
Yeah fair enough.

I’m not on Facebook tho…
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel99 ➡️

I’m not on Facebook tho…
best choice, you'll not be aware of how awful they are then , just playing Nigel
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I’d rather a Jupiter 6.
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DStep ATL ➡️
I’d rather a Jupiter 6.
I think you're about ten thousand replies too late, lol
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebmcr ➡️
I think you're about ten thousand replies too late, lol
Lol too true.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I’d rather a Jupiter 6.
What, you mean to say that the Roland Cloud and Boutiques do not satisfy your every synth-related desire?

Shirley some mistake..

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzweil ➡️
What, you mean to say that the Roland Cloud and Boutiques do not satisfy your every synth-related desire?

Shirley some mistake..

I’d take a model of the Jupiter 6, but there is no cloud or boutique for that one. At the beginning of covid I passed on a serviced and modded/upgraded Jupiter 6 in outstanding condition for a little over 3k because I was afraid of the problems vintage can entail. I should have just bought it to sell considering the current prices.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I’d take a model of the Jupiter 6, but there is no cloud or boutique for that one. At the beginning of covid I passed on a serviced and modded/upgraded Jupiter 6 in outstanding condition for a little over 3k because I was afraid of the problems vintage can entail. I should have just bought it to sell considering the current prices.
Vintage problems are greatly exaggerated IMO and the old Roland stuff in particular is well built and pretty reliable.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I have a room full of vintage stuff and it's pretty maintenance free with an exception here and there. It's not the nightmare some people make it out to be.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by curry36 ➡️
When is this coming out
Today I tried the OB-6 and as with the Prophet 6, it was just not at the same level as Prophet10 soundwise. Different league. Can't wait to test the Behringer OB - hope it does the job!
I have an OB6 sitting above my P5 and you're right. It's just so thick sounding and has an enormous amount of presence, I was really surprised by the P5. Still love my OB6 but it gets shellacked by the wooden beast in sheer presence.
Old 1 week ago
vlz
Lives for gear

The UB-Xa Synthesizer-f7acbeb0-ff2f-4d0c-90c5-f07eb9075245.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
The UB-Xa Synthesizer-f7acbeb0-ff2f-4d0c-90c5-f07eb9075245.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
^ That's more like it!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Looking more 80s with those chunky coloured buttons.
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell r. ➡️
Looking more 80s with those chunky coloured buttons.
because it was produced in the 80s.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Is it not the new Behringer render ? Not much of an Oberheim expert here I'm afraid.

Last edited by wendell r.; 1 week ago at 09:20 AM..
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell r. ➡️
Is it not the new Behringer render ? Not much of an Oberheim expert here I'm afraid.
That's the banana "clone", produced in the 80s. A rare 6 voice polysynth, which apparently does not sound much like an OBXa.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz ➡️
Banana 6-voice polyphonic synthesizer
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by _space ➡️
Vintage problems are greatly exaggerated IMO and the old Roland stuff in particular is well built and pretty reliable.
106 voice chips enter the chat
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaks Dude ➡️
I have a room full of vintage stuff and it's pretty maintenance free with an exception here and there. It's not the nightmare some people make it out to be.
It's not, but if something does go wrong is a LOT of time and investment. Modern equipment is nowhere near as tetchy - someone had issues with their Prophet 5 Rev 4 early on and they just got sent a new voice board. If it was a vintage unit with the same minor issue, the entire synthesizer would have to go back and have someone prod it with a voltmetre and soldering tool.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 ➡️
106 voice chips enter the chat
That’s an exception. The 106 was a nightmare for over a decade for this reason until clone chips started to appear.

Nowadays I can disassemble a 106, replace the 6 chips, calibrate and put it back together in under an hour.
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by infindebula ➡️
That’s an exception. The 106 was a nightmare for over a decade for this reason until clone chips started to appear.

Nowadays I can disassemble a 106, replace the 6 chips, calibrate and put it back together in under an hour.
I've owned a few SCIs that you could feel disintegrating under your fingers.
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by infindebula ➡️

If you replace all the voice chips with clones, isn't the entire synth then technically a 106 clone? I mean the voice chips are what make the actual sounds...
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAPPP ➡️
I've owned a few SCIs that you could feel disintegrating under your fingers.
The Pro One in particular is built down to such a shocking price it's a miracle so many survived. Likewise the original Odyssey in all three guises were very cheaply put together (Behringer's Odyssey is actually a step up in build quality by a considerable margin).
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvancedFollower ➡️
If you replace all the voice chips with clones, isn't the entire synth then technically a 106 clone? I mean the voice chips are what make the actual sounds...
Not really, the voice chips are only the VCF and VCA...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvancedFollower ➡️
Mine has 4 refurbed chips and 2 Renaissance chips and they sound identical. That thing was a paint to get back into working order. Spent about $1,200 between THREE techs - including Synth Spa - until someone got it right (FYI that was SD Machines out of South Florida). This misbehaving synth was $125 back in 2016, so I think the investment was a good one, just wish I hadn't had to fish it around until someone fixed it correctly.
Gear Head
Quote:
The Pro One in particular is built down to such a shocking price it's a miracle so many survived. Likewise the original Odyssey in all three guises were very cheaply put together (Behringer's Odyssey is actually a step up in build quality by a considerable margin).
Yep. I had a rough Prophet 5 that felt like it had sand in the pots and key mechanism before it died too.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Agreed - never felt that I could trust an ARP to travel reliably; the Bodyssey is (minus the slider caps) pretty damn solid.
📝 Reply