The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland Boutique SE-02 Analog Synthesizer
Old 9th November 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1001001 ➡️
Oh snap, you're right!
I set the envelopes relatively medium slow.
Everything else as you suggested.
Minimized emphasis/rez.
Put contour to best emulate a 2 pole response.

The key was Xmod.. it gave it that OB chorus-like growl.
Hot damn.
The synth still surprises me when I push the limits and start exploring what it can do - and I've had it for 4 years now (it's not my primary, though). I expect it still has more to reveal. It's just that the core, stereotypical sound you'd go to it for sounds so good that it's easy to get "trapped" in that realm - but then we miss out on the rest!
Old 13th November 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Another testament to OB-style sounds: patch 74

In a pinch, it's a halfway decent Tom Sawyer rezz...
Gets even closer when you tweak it right.

And considering the 7/8 synth solo is also a Moog...
Seems like you might could use 2 SE02s, eh?
Old 24th November 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head

Oh boi oh boi, i finally found time to rig it up via midi to the electribe and really dive into it for a day and boi oh boi is it Nice, thick girthy overpowering bass thats really oozes through and rich creamy leads.
Today Was good. An amazing Package for the price. Its punches well above it weight. Cant wait to Get my whole setup running again
Old 24th November 2022
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I'm rockin the 02 until I can spring for a 22 mini
Old 24th November 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I watched a Trigon6 video and the mono sounds in 4 pole mode sound vaguely like the SE-02 to my ears. A day or two later I tried to emulate the sound in the video from memory (not very well) when I had a few min to spend on it.

Anyway, here's a pulsating drone sound from the SE-02 with zero effects added.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/isbfh0klkn...Drone.mp3?dl=0
Old 24th November 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 ➡️
I watched a Trigon6 video and the mono sounds in 4 pole mode sound vaguely like the SE-02 to my ears. A day or two later I tried to emulate the sound in the video from memory (not very well) when I had a few min to spend on it.

Anyway, here's a pulsating drone sound from the SE-02 with zero effects added.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/isbfh0klkn...Drone.mp3?dl=0
Nice drone example. I thought the exact same thing when I Listened to the Trigon demos, hey it reminds me of my SE-02! You’re example is in the ballpark IMHO.
You can always buy 5 more SE-02s and save some money over the Trigon
Old 13th December 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GALVATRON ➡️
Oh boi oh boi, i finally found time to rig it up via midi to the electribe and really dive into it for a day and boi oh boi is it Nice, thick girthy overpowering bass thats really oozes through and rich creamy leads.
Today Was good. An amazing Package for the price. Its punches well above it weight. Cant wait to Get my whole setup running again
When you hook it via MIDI to the Electribe, what does this do for you? How is it different from a keyboard controller?
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 ➡️
Nice drone example. I thought the exact same thing when I Listened to the Trigon demos, hey it reminds me of my SE-02! You’re example is in the ballpark IMHO.
You can always buy 5 more SE-02s and save some money over the Trigon
Wonderfully weird. I love the groove too. Nicely degraded. What is the weird repetitive riff in the right channel? Was that just a sample you had laying around? Or is that from the SE 02 also?
Gear Addict

It's a really cool synth. Like a backpack sized Minimoog with presets. So if there's a classic record out there you're trying to emulate, there may be a soundpack/preset out there you can add or create it yourself and save it. Sound very good too, of course. I wish these two companies would collaborate on a poly!
Old 18th December 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluke ➡️
When you hook it via MIDI to the Electribe, what does this do for you? How is it different from a keyboard controller?
The e2 uses it as an ‘internal voice’ , you have a global cut off filter, (several different ones available actually) a mfx, (master effect) and ifx (track effect), osc edit (does some overdrive/ ring modulation type warbly crunch) a global resonance and adsr (Though the e2 adsr is just two dials, but it gets the job done) and if i remember correctly you can also use the mod matrix.

And you can sequence it from there and use the scale mode etc. a decent little expander for the price. Very glad i got the se 02 over the boog for these midi parameter options
Gear Head

Obvs you also have to run the audio in through the e2
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The SE-02 is a fantastic companion to any groovebox. I have a Digitone and they get along great.
Old 18th December 2022
Lives for gear

So far, SE-02 is making a fun mini poly.
I'm currently at 3, and working out glitches before I go to 6.

For example, Mtrig is fun when playing legato.
Can't get that with PolyChain.
Still trying to get 3rd party MIDI round robin happening.
Might not get legato, but voice assignment should be more consistent.

Loving SE-02 PWM, filter FM, and feedback.
Just gotta try to get that thickness in a poly.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1001001 ➡️
So far, SE-02 is making a fun mini poly.
I'm currently at 3, and working out glitches before I go to 6.

For example, Mtrig is fun when playing legato.
Can't get that with PolyChain.
Still trying to get 3rd party MIDI round robin happening.
Might not get legato, but voice assignment should be more consistent.

Loving SE-02 PWM, filter FM, and feedback.
Just gotta try to get that thickness in a poly.
A Trigon6 would be a lot simpler! Once the desktop module is out it’ll be strongly tempting.
Lives for gear

Quote:
A Trigon6 would be a lot simpler! Once the desktop module is out it’ll be strongly tempting.
True, but missing 6 x (the audio input per SE-02).
Need that part to convert the Kronos into a 6 voice hybrid analog.
Plus the Franken SE-02 can still function as 6 monos.
Or any combination in-between.

Speaking of which, I need to get off this forum and get busy.
Need to spend these days off building the poly, not typing about it.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Edited my previous post, figured out the extra stages.

Turns out the SE02 has ADSR for filter.
And ADS for the amp.

Haven't figured out which CCs toggle Release to match Decay.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

The Frankensynth is coming along nicely.
Thought I'd share some PWM discoveries.

The CCs for PWM rate and depth are 116 and 117.

You can PWM the square, the wide pulse, and/or the skinny.
And you can mix and match. For example:

Osc1 square PWM
Osc2 wide pulse PWM
Osc3 skinny pulse PWM

That's more variety than many synth PWM options.
The catch is there is only one hidden triangle LFO for PWM.
So its rate and depth govern all oscillators the same way.

Of course you cannot PWM the saw/ramp, sharktooth, or triangle.

I haven't found a use for audio rate PWM yet. Sounds like garbage.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

I want to buy an analog affordable mono synth to complete my songwriting instrument collection. I haven't done enough deep research about both units, but I'm trying to slowly make up my mind... so I'm just asking in case someone has a view on this. Should I get the Roland SE-02 or the Dreadbox Typhon? I understand I'm on the Roland SE-02 thread. And they're not exactly the same beast. I'm more of a songwriter than a pure electronic sound synthesis guy. But I do love sound synthesis nonetheless. My ultimate goal is to integrate the mono synth in song mixes however. Both units sound great to me so far. Having a hard time deciding. I have mostly Roland gear... TR-6S, JP-08, J-6, Verselab. A mono synth is my next target. Should I branch out and try the Dreadbox Typhon or stick with Roland and get the SE-02?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerestrenen ➡️
I want to buy an analog affordable mono synth to complete my songwriting instrument collection. I haven't done enough deep research about both units, but I'm trying to slowly make up my mind... so I'm just asking in case someone has a view on this. Should I get the Roland SE-02 or the Dreadbox Typhon? I understand I'm on the Roland SE-02 thread. And they're not exactly the same beast. I'm more of a songwriter than a pure electronic sound synthesis guy. But I do love sound synthesis nonetheless. My ultimate goal is to integrate the mono synth in song mixes however. Both units sound great to me so far. Having a hard time deciding. I have mostly Roland gear... TR-6S, JP-08, J-6, Verselab. A mono synth is my next target. Should I branch out and try the Dreadbox Typhon or stick with Roland and get the SE-02?
The Typhon is a more complete all-in-one synth with some great on-board effects and a line input.

The SE-02 has 3 oscillators and is based on the Model D (but isn't a clone as it's more capable) and has a sequencer (that can do song sequencing) with limited parameter locking. As far as raw analog tone, the SE-02 takes the win.

Tough choice. There was no Typhon when I bought my SE-02. If the mono synth was going to be your first and/or only synth, I'd say Typhon. But if you're looking for analog power and depth, the SE-02 (and add an ExtBox if you can, later).
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The Typhon is a more complete all-in-one synth with some great on-board effects and a line input.

The SE-02 has 3 oscillators and is based on the Model D (but isn't a clone as it's more capable) and has a sequencer (that can do song sequencing) with limited parameter locking. As far as raw analog tone, the SE-02 takes the win.

Tough choice. There was no Typhon when I bought my SE-02. If the mono synth was going to be your first and/or only synth, I'd say Typhon. But if you're looking for analog power and depth, the SE-02 (and add an ExtBox if you can, later).
Thanks you so much!! It helps a lot. I do have other synths, poly VAs basically, and a decent multi effect processor, so I am still leaning more towards the SE-02... for raw analog tone as you say as well as familiar and almost retro workflow.

Hard choice!!! In a way, they both have their strength. If you had a TR-6S, a JP-08, a J-6 (Compact Aira Juno 60), a V1-Verselab and a Tascam Model 12 as your set-up, would you pick a Typhon or an SE-02?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks you so much!! It helps a lot. I do have other synths, poly VAs basically, and a decent multi effect processor, so I am still leaning more towards the SE-02... for raw analog tone as you say as well as familiar and almost retro workflow.

Hard choice!!! In a way, they both have their strength. If you had a TR-6S, a JP-08, a J-6 (Compact Aira Juno 60), a V1-Verselab and a Tascam Model 12 as your set-up, would you pick a Typhon or an SE-02?
If the Typhon had a stereo line in it'd be pretty easy since you could use it as an effects box as well as mono.

As it is, the SE-02 is very capable, as long as you don't feel you need the effects on the Typhon. I have everything wired into a DAW, so I can slap on any effects I want, or use my pedal fx chain.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
If the Typhon had a stereo line in it'd be pretty easy since you could use it as an effects box as well as mono.

As it is, the SE-02 is very capable, as long as you don't feel you need the effects on the Typhon. I have everything wired into a DAW, so I can slap on any effects I want, or use my pedal fx chain.
After a few hours spent watching videos online... I'm starting to lean towards the Typhon, precisely because its effects (and perhaps even its workflow) seem to make it more modern and future oriented. It feels like the Typhon would bring more to my plate than the SE-02... maybe. I already have a plethora of effects on the Verselab, so the question is, are the Typhon effects significantly better than the 93 effects you can find on the Roland Verselab/MC-707/101 line? Is Sinevibes really that good? Everyone is raving about them. I was thinking about getting a Big Sky or a Dark Sky. Maybe the Typhon could stand-in for one of those? It does gave the cool "Cloud" reverb/delay now.

Is the Typhon "mono line-in" really an issue since the line-outs are stereo anyway? Or could it be good enough to make it an effect processor as long as your incoming signal is the same on each side? I have a Tascam M12 that can "sum" stereo into mono easily.

Basically still agonizing and unable to choose between the SE-02 and the Typhon. In a way, there are not enough people making "actual music" on YouTube with those units. Lots of "I just got the..." and "here are the sounds I make with..." There are a few people who do make great music with them, but on the other hand, they seem much more skilled than I am, so it's hard to form an opinion while either watchin "sound makers" or "virtuosos"

And to bring it back to the SE-02, which I still like very much... doesn't it have a "line-in" as well? Can you plug a signal in and have some of the SE-02 "process" said signal (filters? LFO? Delay?) I thought you might be able to, but maybe it's just a "daisychain" line-in?

Sorry for all the questions. Thank you for your input.
Lives for gear

The SE02 mono input goes thru VCF and delay.
So it does LFO to filter, but not LFO to oscillator (or audio).

You'll want to trigger the filter first to hear the audio.
In the past, I've done that with a guitar pick.
You insert it between the keys to hold the note open.
Did this with the Micron, Minitaur, Evolver, iirc.

Fortunately the SE02 has addressed that nicely.
MIDI Key Trigger can be enabled in System Settings.

Or it has CV inputs too, if that's your thing.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
After a few hours spent watching videos online... I'm starting to lean towards the Typhon, precisely because its effects (and perhaps even its workflow) seem to make it more modern and future oriented. It feels like the Typhon would bring more to my plate than the SE-02... maybe. I already have a plethora of effects on the Verselab, so the question is, are the Typhon effects significantly better than the 93 effects you can find on the Roland Verselab/MC-707/101 line? Is Sinevibes really that good? Everyone is raving about them. I was thiking about getting a Big Sky or a Dark Sky. Maybe the Typhon could stand-in for one of those? It does gave the cool "Cloud" reverb/delay now.

Is the Typhon "mono line-in" really an issue since the line-outs are stereo anyway? Or could it be good enough to make it an effect processor as long as your incoming signal is the same on each side? I have a Tascam M12 that can "sum" stereo into mono easily.

Basically still agonizing and unable to choose between the SE-02 and the Typhon. In a way, there are not enough people making "actual music" on YouTube with those units. Lots of "I just got the..." and "here are the sounds I make with..." There are a few people who do make great music with them, but on the other hand, they seem much more skilled than I am, so it's hard to form an opinion while either watchin "sound makers" or "virtuosos"

And to bring it back to the SE-02, which I still like very much... doesn't it have a "line-in" as well? Can you plug a signal in and have some of the SE-02 "process" said signal (filters? LFO? Delay?) I though you might be able to, but maybe it's just a "daisychain" line-in?

Go with what sounds best to you - especially without effects (since you can add effects to anything). Any synth can be used to make “modern” music.

I believe this song is 100% SE-02
Gear Head

Quote:
After a few hours spent watching videos online... I'm starting to lean towards the Typhon, precisely because its effects (and perhaps even its workflow) seem to make it more modern and future oriented. It feels like the Typhon would bring more to my plate than the SE-02... maybe. I already have a plethora of effects on the Verselab, so the question is, are the Typhon effects significantly better than the 93 effects you can find on the Roland Verselab/MC-707/101 line? Is Sinevibes really that good? Everyone is raving about them. I was thiking about getting a Big Sky or a Dark Sky. Maybe the Typhon could stand-in for one of those? It does gave the cool "Cloud" reverb/delay now.

And to bring it back to the SE-02, which I still like very much... doesn't it have a "line-in" as well? Can you plug a signal in and have some of the SE-02 "process" said signal (filters? LFO? Delay?) I though you might be able to, but maybe it's just a "daisychain" line-in?

Agree, so many god awful unmusical demos with the step sequencer clanging some horrid sounds
Gear Nut

Quote:
Should I branch out and try the Dreadbox Typhon or stick with Roland and get the SE-02?
Have both and they are both excellent.

Besides what's already been said, I'll add these considerations:

Both are capable of a wide range of (awesome) possible sounds, but the Typhon would be the most flexible on paper due the the more extensive modulation capabilities.

The SE-02 has a noise generator. Typhon does not.

The SE-02 has CV/Gate I/O. Typhon does not.

Typhon has a HP filter (which can also be a mod destination). The SE-02 does not (unless you get the Ext Box).

The SE-02 has a knobbier interface. But the SE-02 knobs are small, so if you've got big hands, that could be an issue. I'm guessing it isn't since you state you have the JP-08. The Typhon obviously has slightly more menu diving, but that's to be expected when packing that much functionality into a small footprint. And the Typhon interface is well-thought out and still performance-friendly IMO.

I've never used the sequencer in either, but AFAICT the one in the SE-02 is more advanced.

One thing I unexpectedly love about both units is the audio-over-USB capabilities which basically makes them usable as mono audio interfaces (and mono-to-stereo in the case of the Typhon FX) and makes tracking dead easy. On the go, I am constantly using my Typhon hooked up directly to my laptop for adding OTB analogue spice to ITB work. As hassle-free as it gets and doesn't take up much space in your backpack/whatever.
Here for the gear

Quote:
And to bring it back to the SE-02, which I still like very much... doesn't it have a "line-in" as well? Can you plug a signal in and have some of the SE-02 "process" said signal (filters? LFO? Delay?) I thought you might be able to, but maybe it's just a "daisychain" line-in?
The signal goes through the filter and delay. EDIT: I see this has been answered already.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Go with what sounds best to you - especially without effects (since you can add effects to anything). Any synth can be used to make “modern” music.

I believe this song is 100% SE-02
I really enjoyed the “guitar solo” part. I’ve also gotten really nice guitarish stuff out of mine. With the help of a Zoom 9150 I even managed a credible chugga-chug metal rhythm guitar sound from it.
After many years I haven’t gotten tired of this synth or exhausted it’s options. And thanks to being able to save presets it gets much more use than my other monos that haven’t this facility.
It’s really a truly good value and a fun little instrument.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
SE-02 is much more hands on. Typhon seems quite menudivey, although ultimately more flexible due to it's mod matrix.

If you don't yet have an analog mono, SE-02 has 3 oscillators and noise and is more capable of reproducing many of the classic monosynth sounds. Great learning piece. Typhon is more modern as you say, but also "too modern" in that you can't maybe make all the classic sounds with it?

I have a SE-02 and it's an awesome bit of kit for it's size. Great for bass duties. The delay on it is kind of naff though, doesn't get use around here

Don't agonize over the choice too much, they are both great synths

You can find SE-02's on the second hand market quite easily. Typhon is less easy to find, which is probably why I don't yet own one
Gear Maniac

Thanks again for all the brilliant feedback, everyone. I know I said it a few times already, but this is really going to help me figuring out which unit is best for my needs. And it's also great to hear you guys talk and sharing your views about these two awesome yet affordable units.

It's pretty clear by now that they both have their strengths and to some degree weaknesses. I agree with most of you: I can't really go wrong either way. It's a very interesting dilemma to have in a way, because this is almost an existential question on the musical and learning level.

After falling in love with the Typhon for a couple days, I am now leaning again towards the SE-02 as it might just be the "school" I need to finally learn sound synthesis by the book. I've been winging it for so many years, sometimes with great success, sometimes just flying blind into walls, and the SE-02 feels just like the beast I need to tame step by step.

Giving myself a couple weeks to think it over and explore the 93 digital effects I have available in my Roland Verselab. While they might be no match to the Sinevibes effects, I believe diving deeper into their many parameters could open some decent alternatives to the Typhon effects when it comes to taking the SE-02 into deep space

I certainly care more about reverb, delay and echo than I care about distortion and overdrive. At least when it comes to synths anyways. Even with a guitar, I've always preferred the natural distortion coming straight from a vintage tube preamp than any type of digital mangling coming from an effects pedal.

Great reading you all. Will definitely let you know when I pull the plug and finally solve that riddle
📝 Reply