The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland Boutique SE-02 Analog Synthesizer
Old 5th May 2022
Gear Addict

Hello guys how do you make the SE 02 start/shut the hell up when I click START/STOP in Ableton ?

I'm all synced 100% with MIDI IN and OUT cables via my Motu M4 + the audio cable. I erased all the factory patches and uploaded the 100 Organic Patches bank on it.

But the only problem is the SE 02 won't start/stop playing the patches I'm playing as soon as I press STOP in Live.

How the hell do you guys do that - sync (start/stop) with Ableton session when doing so from Ableton transport commands?

I tried adding https://maxforlive.com/library/devic.../shutthe****up in the External Instrument rack (which I highly recommend, for faulty VSTs like Massive X playing long notes when not played) but it didn't do the trick.

What settings do you choose in Ableton and SE 02 for that?

In doubt I selected everything - Track / Sync / Remote - for both the M4 and the SE-02 - is it necessary, what's your setup?

On the SE-02, I turn off, press COMP + PLAY and press 5 > send CC, then Select 'USB+MIDI' - or just 'MIDI', which one is it? And is there anything else to set there?

And ideally, the tempo of the SE-02 needs to match with that of the Ableton session of course, just like a VST - can we achieve that?

Cheers.
Old 5th May 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spnc ➡️
Hello guys
If the SE-02 is synched, then the sequencer will always start playing. I have no idea about anything Ableton, however.

Overwrite the first sequence so it's empty.
Old 5th May 2022 | Show parent

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spnc ➡️
Hello guys
Older Ableton, I barely remember the details but it worked fine like two weeks ago, MIDI din connection.

Something like powering up the SE-02 while pushing Exit maybe, then sync to midi if that's your connection, I don't remember the button for the sync mode but it is easy to find out, 8 or 9 maybe.

Edit: remembered another detail, after selecting the sync mode (in this initial menu) you have to save the settings and get out, it's quite important, I think it's done by pushing the data entry.
The LCD will shows something, some kind of blinkering and quits to normal mode.
If everything went well at this point the SE sequencer won't start by itself but only with Ableton.

In Ableton I wouldn't check Remote.

Edit: checked, sync mode button 7
Old 10th May 2022
Here for the gear

Volume pot

Hello Everyone!

I bought one of these tiny beasts more than a year ago, and I really love the sound.
Now I thought that since the SE-02 is also an audio interface it would be great to take my laptop, the synth and headphones, and make some music away from my main setup. I found that the volume pot on the back has over 1 dB channel imbalance at lower levels, which is quite disappointing, since I would like to use it with some really sensitive headphones, right in that range.

I would be grateful to have some of you measure the difference between the stereo channels on an audio interface and share the results with me!

Help is much appreciated!
Old 10th May 2022 | Show parent
mds
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
That’s actually super common with a stereo pot turned down super low. Even happens on many monitor controllers.
Old 12th May 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds ➡️
That’s actually super common with a stereo pot turned down super low. Even happens on many monitor controllers.
I know that it is normal for stereo pots to have some imbalance between the two channels. I would like to see what is normal for the SE-02. For example I replaced the volume slider on my old alpha Juno, and since they did not make the original Panasonic pots, anymore, I had to use some unbranded Chinese one. I measured it, and the maximum difference was 0.3 dB. I know that bigger sliders can be more consistent than smaller rotaries, but this seems to be a big difference. So I would like to see some examples from SE-02 owners to decide if i should repair it.
Old 6th August 2022
Here for the gear

Is the Roland SE-02 works well in a DAW workflow? Always wanted one but I need to know before it works well with Ableton especially recording Audio AND MIDI.
Old 6th August 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawtoothWavee ➡️
Is the Roland SE-02 works well in a DAW workflow? Always wanted one but I need to know before it works well with Ableton especially recording Audio AND MIDI.
99% of all features have been mapped to MIDI from release.

The only annoying thing about the SE-02 is that if it’s synched to MIDI, then any time you hit play in the DAW the sequencer on the SE-02 will start to play. I usually just have a blank sequence there as the default. Maybe Ableton has some features that would prevent that (I can’t stand Ableton and have 3 other DAWs I can use).

Also, theres no global setting for locking transposing the sequencer to the keys - it’s per preset.

No synth is perfect! But the SE-02 loves being a companion to a DAW (and to my Digitone). It’s too bad the ExtBox is so expensive:unavailable now for people - I was lucky and grabbed one shortly after they were released for a price I thought was already a bit much. But the unit really completes the synth, though it’s pure analog so anything you do on it is NOT saved with presets and the controls have no MIDI mapping.
Old 6th August 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 ➡️
99% of all features have been mapped to MIDI from release.

The only annoying thing about the SE-02 is that if it’s synched to MIDI, then any time you hit play in the DAW the sequencer on the SE-02 will start to play. I usually just have a blank sequence there as the default. Maybe Ableton has some features that would prevent that (I can’t stand Ableton and have 3 other DAWs I can use).

Also, theres no global setting for locking transposing the sequencer to the keys - it’s per preset.

No synth is perfect! But the SE-02 loves being a companion to a DAW (and to my Digitone). It’s too bad the ExtBox is so expensive:unavailable now for people - I was lucky and grabbed one shortly after they were released for a price I thought was already a bit much. But the unit really completes the synth, though it’s pure analog so anything you do on it is NOT saved with presets and the controls have no MIDI mapping.
Thank you so much for your input, say no more, I am buying it !
Old 7th August 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawtoothWavee ➡️
Thank you so much for your input, say no more, I am buying it !
You'll want this: http://sunshine-jones.com/roland-bou...issing-manual/

Also search YT for a series of decent (not amazing) but pretty comprehensive SE-02 videos by Constantine Music.

Consider buying additional presets from Studio Electronics (ABC & Minis) and others, such as Ultimate Patches (they have a 3 pack). The librarian program from SE is extra. Someone on the board got the vst version of it working with Ableton - I was never able to get it to work with any of my DAWs. The standalone version works just fine for me.
Old 7th August 2022 | Show parent
Quote:
You'll want this: http://sunshine-jones.com/roland-bou...issing-manual/

Also search YT for a series of decent (not amazing) but pretty comprehensive SE-02 videos by Constantine Music.

Consider buying additional presets from Studio Electronics (ABC & Minis) and others, such as Ultimate Patches (they have a 3 pack). The librarian program from SE is extra. Someone on the board got the vst version of it working with Ableton - I was never able to get it to work with any of my DAWs. The standalone version works just fine for me.
I got the VST version of SE Editor to work with Ableton, however the VST version doesn't unfortunately have all the features of the standalone version.
For instance on the plugin version, you can't resize the UI, you can't use the preset blending feature and worse, you can't load preset directly on the SE-02 when used with the plugin (you must use the plugin to load preset, which is not always very handy!)
I really wish the plugin would evolve towards a real total integration with DAWs like the ones for the Minitaur or Digitone for example
Old 8th August 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

This is the video that's tipping me toward buying an SE-02. Sounds just lovely all the way through.

How easy is it to recreate the lead sound at the start? I love the almost prog rock tones to it, is that all 3 oscillators together? How would I recreate this.
Old 8th August 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentionauts ➡️
How easy is it to recreate the lead sound at the start? I love the almost prog rock tones to it, is that all 3 oscillators together? How would I recreate this.
If you look at the video in high definition on a large screen, you can probably see the knob positions (I'm on smartphone). Anyway, it sounds like a fairly standard 2-3 oscillators moogish lead sound.
Beware that it's drenched in reverb and not one, but two delays (the pedal and the internal one), so the "bare" SE-02 sound may disappoint you, without all those effects.
Old 23rd August 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I've had an SE-02 for about a week now.
I'm loving the X-mod, feedback, and thick sound.

That sequencer is actually pretty fun too.

But mine goes way out of tune when warmed up.
About a WHOLE TONE off!

Is this a common problem?
If not, I got a bogus unit I need to return.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1001001 ➡️
I've had an SE-02 for about a week now.
I'm loving the X-mod, feedback, and thick sound.

That sequencer is actually pretty fun too.

But mine goes way out of tune when warmed up.
About a whole tone off. Is this a common problem?

If not, I got a bogus unit I need to return.
So when you run the tuning on it it doesn’t stick? Also, check the Osc1 Tune knob.
Lives for gear

Quote:
So when you run the tuning on it it doesn’t stick? Also, check the Osc1 Tune knob.
Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated.

Yeah, I've been adjusting the Osc1 Tune knob.
But it can't compensate for a whole tone off.

Didn't realize there was a tuning option.
Scanning the manual now...
Old 23rd August 2022
Lives for gear

Whew, that's a relief.
Easy tuning process solved it quick.

Now to update it to latest firmware.

Thx again.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Whew, that's a relief.
Easy tuning process solved it quick.

Now to update it to latest firmware.

Thx again.
Great! I should say that it's not known for being perfectly in tune as you move pretty far up/down the octaves, even after running the tuning routine. It's an impressive little synth, but it's not without it's annoyances/flaws.

Definitely use the latest firmware, but read how it changes a few things so you're not surprised (like the Osc 2 Fine knob when set to Lo).
Old 23rd August 2022
Lives for gear

It still drifts quite a bit, about a 1/4 tone flat after a half hour.
Re-calibrating is quick, but not looking good for poly chaining.

And something is causing it to fall a whole tone.
Switching patches re-centers the tuning. Odd.

But it's deliciously thick.
I'm pairing it atm with an OP6 on a lush swooshing pad.
Great combo for bass soloing away the time.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
It still drifts quite a bit, about a 1/4 tone flat after a half hour.
Re-calibrating is quick, but not looking good for poly chaining.

And something is causing it to fall a whole tone.
Switching patches re-centers the tuning. Odd.

But it's deliciously thick.
I'm pairing it atm with an OP6 on a lush swooshing pad.
Great combo for bass soloing away the time.
If you're able, it sounds like it might be worth trying another unit and then returning the worst performing one.
Old 23rd August 2022
Lives for gear
One obvious thing to check is that there isn't something sending faulty pitch bend data to the unit over MIDI, especially if switching patches resets the tuning. It could be accidental automation in a DAW/sequencer, or a poorly calibrated/faulty pitch wheel on another keyboard or synth that's sending out MIDI.
Old 24th August 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Good idea on testing another unit for comparison.
I do plan on getting at least 2 for polychaining.

As far as the controller goes, it's a Novation Remote 25sl.
Wouldn't hurt to try other controllers.

One thing though, I'm really loving those square waves.
Never really was a fan, but somehow these are juicier?
Don't recall such a beefy square on my other synths.
Old 14th October 2022
Gear Head

Looking back at some of the Comments on the ext box, its seems running the se 02 into the external input of the electribe 2 gets you halfway there. You Get to use one the different filter modes on the e2, (moog, 303, prophet, ms 20 etc emulations) and additional cut off (set to either hpf, bpf or lpf) as well as an ifx (overdrive, distortion, bitcrush etc (( i think theres like 26 of them) ) plus a mfx paired with the xy pad. And it can be sent through the mod matrix with x amount of destinations at adjustable rates.

Sure its not as fancy but it seems like a poor mans alternative, with a wider scope for sound mangling. Anyone tried this?

And secondly, has Anyone Else had issues with getting the driver to work on mac Os? I am running catalina and cant Get the darn thing to be recognized at all. Think i will have to call apple and Get instructions to reset all my midi/audio settings.

Such a downer, had it for a month and havet gotten around to using it yet *cryface emoji* albeit i havent had the time to really spend unlimited time troubleshooting. Guess i underestimated how much less time two kids would allow me for stuff like this
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Messing with my new Uno Drum, I found a superb "kitchen table jam" combo with the SE-02. Had been a while since I fired up my 02, still rockin like a champ

I'm going to be tracking my 02 for one record project soon, any frontend suggestions? Any nice combos you have found? Was thinking of trying at least my API 512 & 1073 clones.. anyone have a fave pedal etc?
Lives for gear

I been been jammin a lot with my SE02.
Loving the feedback, O2 to filter, sync.
Finally figured out what is that Env knob in Osc2's row!
Pitch envelope, so you can get brassy attacks.

Thing is just full of surprises. And full of sound. Thumpy.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I been been jammin a lot with my SE02.
Loving the feedback, O2 to filter, sync.
Finally figured out what is that Env knob in Osc2's row!
Pitch envelope, so you can get brassy attacks.

Thing is just full of surprises. And full of sound. Thumpy.
You can get Oberheim-style mono pads from it.
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can get Oberheim-style mono pads from it.
That's an interesting concept.
Though I'm trying to hear how...

IIRC, the OSCs have a different body to them.
If OSCs were hardwoods, then Moog is cherry while OB is oak.

Even with filter FM or feedback, not hearing how to get OB like filters.
Ladder is nowhere near CEMs or SEMs, right?

The envelopes are different too.
Although the curves might be closer than everything else here.

Care to share?
Unless you just playing me...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
That's an interesting concept.
Though I'm trying to hear how...

IIRC, the OSCs have a different body to them.
If OSCs were hardwoods, then Moog is cherry while OB is oak.

Even with filter FM or feedback, not hearing how to get OB like filters.
Ladder is nowhere near CEMs or SEMs, right?

The envelopes are different too.
Although the curves might be closer than everything else here.

Care to share?
Unless you just playing me...
Reset everything
Try Osc 1 and 2 as Saw or Pulse (same Range), Osc 3 as square.
Sync ON
Turn the ENV1 control 1/8 to 1/4 to the right or so and hear it "detune" and become a very-much-not-a-Model-D (to my ears).
Use Osc 3 as a square sub 1 octave below
Then bring in some Xmod to taste
Shape your envelopes and filter
Helps a little if you have an ExtBox to add Overdrive setting of 3 or 4

Not saying it would be mistaken for an Oberheim, but Oberheim was one of the (lesser) inspirations for the synth. I have an OB-6, and some of the sounds from the SE-02 made me go "huh, that's a little like...."
Lives for gear

Quote:
Reset everything
Sync ON
Turn the ENV1 control 1/8 to 1/4 to the right or so and hear it "detune" and become a very-much-not-a-Model-D (to my ears).

Not saying it would be mistaken for an Oberheim, but Oberheim was one of the (lesser) inspirations for the synth. I have an OB-6, and some of the sounds from the SE-02 made me go "huh, that's a little like...."
Oh snap, you're right!
I set the envelopes relatively medium slow.
Everything else as you suggested.
Minimized emphasis/rez.
Put contour to best emulate a 2 pole response.

The key was Xmod.. it gave it that OB chorus-like growl.
Hot damn.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Reset everything
Sync ON

thx for the tip squire
📝 Reply