The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland Boutique SE-02 Analog Synthesizer
Old 5th May 2022
Gear Maniac

Hello guys how do you make the SE 02 start/shut the hell up when I click START/STOP in Ableton ?

I'm all synced 100% with MIDI IN and OUT cables via my Motu M4 + the audio cable. I erased all the factory patches and uploaded the 100 Organic Patches bank on it.

But the only problem is the SE 02 won't start/stop playing the patches I'm playing as soon as I press STOP in Live.

How the hell do you guys do that - sync (start/stop) with Ableton session when doing so from Ableton transport commands?

I tried adding https://maxforlive.com/library/devic.../shutthe****up in the External Instrument rack (which I highly recommend, for faulty VSTs like Massive X playing long notes when not played) but it didn't do the trick.

What settings do you choose in Ableton and SE 02 for that?

In doubt I selected everything - Track / Sync / Remote - for both the M4 and the SE-02 - is it necessary, what's your setup?

On the SE-02, I turn off, press COMP + PLAY and press 5 > send CC, then Select 'USB+MIDI' - or just 'MIDI', which one is it? And is there anything else to set there?

And ideally, the tempo of the SE-02 needs to match with that of the Ableton session of course, just like a VST - can we achieve that?

Cheers.
Old 5th May 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spnc ➡️
Hello guys
If the SE-02 is synched, then the sequencer will always start playing. I have no idea about anything Ableton, however.

Overwrite the first sequence so it's empty.
Old 5th May 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spnc ➡️
Hello guys
Older Ableton, I barely remember the details but it worked fine like two weeks ago, MIDI din connection.

Something like powering up the SE-02 while pushing Exit maybe, then sync to midi if that's your connection, I don't remember the button for the sync mode but it is easy to find out, 8 or 9 maybe.

Edit: remembered another detail, after selecting the sync mode (in this initial menu) you have to save the settings and get out, it's quite important, I think it's done by pushing the data entry.
The LCD will shows something, some kind of blinkering and quits to normal mode.
If everything went well at this point the SE sequencer won't start by itself but only with Ableton.

In Ableton I wouldn't check Remote.

Edit: checked, sync mode button 7
Old 10th May 2022
Here for the gear

Volume pot

Hello Everyone!

I bought one of these tiny beasts more than a year ago, and I really love the sound.
Now I thought that since the SE-02 is also an audio interface it would be great to take my laptop, the synth and headphones, and make some music away from my main setup. I found that the volume pot on the back has over 1 dB channel imbalance at lower levels, which is quite disappointing, since I would like to use it with some really sensitive headphones, right in that range.

I would be grateful to have some of you measure the difference between the stereo channels on an audio interface and share the results with me!

Help is much appreciated!
Old 10th May 2022 | Show parent
mds
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
That’s actually super common with a stereo pot turned down super low. Even happens on many monitor controllers.
Old 12th May 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds ➡️
That’s actually super common with a stereo pot turned down super low. Even happens on many monitor controllers.
I know that it is normal for stereo pots to have some imbalance between the two channels. I would like to see what is normal for the SE-02. For example I replaced the volume slider on my old alpha Juno, and since they did not make the original Panasonic pots, anymore, I had to use some unbranded Chinese one. I measured it, and the maximum difference was 0.3 dB. I know that bigger sliders can be more consistent than smaller rotaries, but this seems to be a big difference. So I would like to see some examples from SE-02 owners to decide if i should repair it.
📝 Reply