The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland Boutique SE-02 Analog Synthesizer
Old 18th July 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 ➡️
There is no overdrive built into the SE-02, only feedback. I think the feedback is too much - 1/3 the total amount spread over the current knob range would've been plenty.
Yeah…that would be ideal. The feedback is kinda hard to use and very quickly goes off the deep end.
Old 18th July 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild ➡️
IMO the SE-02 doesn’t sound Moog-like at all, and I think it’s inaccurate to call Studio Electronics experts in copying Moogs. What they were originally known for is taking apart actual Minimoogs, putting the parts into a rack mount case, and adding MIDI. I don’t think they’ve ever built a synth of their own design that actually sounds like a Moog. The SE-01 and SE-02 are clearly inspired by the architecture of the Minimoog, but the actual sound (especially the filter, but also the shape of the envelopes) is pretty different.

It’s a bit unfortunate that the similar architecture of the SE-02 invites comparison with the Minimoog, because it’s really its own thing and you’ll get a lot more out of it if you don’t expect it to be a Minimoog. I’d say neither one is a substitute for the other. In any case, I certainly wouldn’t describe it as digital. Other than the delay, the entire signal path is analog.
Even if the SE-02 isn't a minimoog, the "MSR's ABCs & Minis" presets sound pretty convincing to me.

I've bought both those and the Ultimate Patches 1-3 collection, and browsing through all of them tells me the SE-02 has quite a lot of sonic range.
Old 18th August 2021 | Show parent
Hi,

I wanted to share with you the first time I've used distortion on the SE-02!

I quite liked how it sounded for this track. It is playing the main guitar-like riff (seconded from time to time by the Minitaur which is taking care of the bass).

Let me know what you think of it and how you use your SE-02

All the best,
GilJ.
Old 19th August 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilJ ➡️
Hi,

I quite liked how it sounded for this track. It is playing the main guitar-like riff (seconded from time to time by the Minitaur which is taking care of the bass).

All the best,
GilJ.
loved what you did there. sounds great!
Old 19th August 2021 | Show parent
Quote:
Hi,

All the best,
GilJ.
Very nice.

Nice mood (emotional connection), Interesting changes, and an overall sound that not overly common and cliche.

Great!
Old 20th August 2021 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thevegasnerve ➡️
loved what you did there. sounds great!
Thanks for the nice comment Thevegasnerve, glad you enjoyed it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averagebear6 ➡️
Very nice.

Nice mood (emotional connection), Interesting changes, and an overall sound that not overly common and cliche.

Great!
Thanks for the helpful, accurate and evocative feedback Averagebear6! Really appreciated 🤗

No one else caring to share some of their tracks featuring the SE-02 here ? 😊
Gear Nut

That was quite snazzy. Been sharing it with my friends. Channel subscribed

Quote:
Hi,

All the best,
GilJ.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hi,

All the best,
GilJ.
Love it, i have the Se02 and a system8, and i used to have a minitaur and the bigsky, I could never achieve this level of greatness myself witht he same equipment.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hi,

All the best,
GilJ.
That was superb. I was expecting not to like it, mainly because you said distorted guitar-ish, which usually makes me run a mile. But absolutely suited to this catchy piece, composed tastefully, cleverly, masterfully.
Old 21st August 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The SE-02 is providing the growly mid-bass loop on this chilled track

Old 22nd August 2021 | Show parent
Hey, thanks a lot guys for your feedback and support, really appreciate it!
@ Skwege , @ login , @ earwolf
Old 22nd August 2021 | Show parent
Quote:
The SE-02 is providing the growly mid-bass loop on this chilled track

Nice track and authentic use of the SE-02 (mid range + reverb: cool!)
Old 28th September 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by amenbrother ➡️
Hello, I have problem with my master volume-pot on my se02. The last 5-10% the volume drops and the sound crackle a bit. Do you think it is a software thing or is hardware. Thinking of a reset, and see if it helps. I controlled the volume via midi, do think this could have affected the volume function.

Cheers
Per
Hi! Did you manage to fix your problem? I seem to have the same exact problem, at the last 10-15% of master volume pot the volume drops and the sound crackles.
Old 26th November 2021
Here for the gear
Hi everyone,

So, EXT BOX has been discontinued. Any suggestion to a fellow SE-02 owner in terms of alternative products?
Don't suggest buying it second-hand. There isn't any.
Old 26th November 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobgoblin ➡️
Hi everyone,

So, EXT BOX has been discontinued. Any suggestion to a fellow SE-02 owner in terms of alternative products?
Don't suggest buying it second-hand. There isn't any.
Oh no! That’s unfortunate. It really completes the synth. Hopefully someone else can chime in with ideas. I suspect there’s some modular stuff that could help. Maybe something from Erica Synths as well?
Old 28th November 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveItAll ➡️
Tiny knobs omg no no no no no no no no no

Do you think this would respond well to a good controller? MIDI CCs for filter and amp parameters?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluke ➡️
Do you think this would respond well to a good controller? MIDI CCs for filter and amp parameters?
99% of every function is mapped to CCs from the day it was released. It's an exceptionally powerful analog monosynth for the money.

Also, the knobs are totally OK to use except if you have huge fingers or are trying to do it live in the dark/bad lighting.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Also, the knobs are totally OK to use except if you have huge fingers or are trying to do it live in the dark/bad lighting.
That's a distinction that I think is too often ignored. The controls-access needs for effective pre-performance programming, in a properly ergonomic and well-lit environment without time pressure, are different from the controls-access needs for live tweaking during (or as part of) an actual performance. And if you only need access to a handful of controls for the latter, mapping them to some other controls you may have available from your controlling board is a sensible compromise solution that can help you make the most of these really compact and often lower-priced units.
Lives for gear
My issue is really only with the knobs that act like toggle switches, like Waveform, Footage etc. It's very hard to get enough torque to turn the knobs because they are so small and slippery.
It's also hard to see where the knobs are pointing, but this can be improved by tilting up the synth.
Old 29th November 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvancedFollower ➡️
My issue is really only with the knobs that act like toggle switches, like Waveform, Footage etc. It's very hard to get enough torque to turn the knobs because they are so small and slippery.
It's also hard to see where the knobs are pointing, but this can be improved by tilting up the synth.
Good points.

Some possible solutions for replacing all or at least the most "problematic" knobs...

https://www.gearnews.com/replace-kno...outique-se-02/

and

https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizer...bs_on_an_se02/

also the ChromaCaps from DJtechtools and Coolorcaps and some others -- though I don't know which (if any) are small enough in diameter that you could use them and still see the panel markings (e.g. the waveforms).

Last edited by anotherscott; 30th November 2021 at 03:32 PM..
Old 30th November 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yep, those are the only ones that wobble too, and they feel quite cheap and insecure (even though Studio Electronics assures us they're not). The rest of the knobs are actually extremely solid, so the wobbly ones really stand out. And yeah, it feels like they're fighting me; I find them unpleasant to use.

Quote:
I have to lean from side to side to get the right viewing angle on them. The twinkle of the reflective centers doesn't help.
I bought a few chroma keys to use on mine and they were way too big. Ended up putting them on a Behringer TD-3 where they make the knob-twiddling rather nice and comfortable on the fingers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild ➡️
Yep, those are the only ones that wobble too, and they feel quite cheap and insecure (even though Studio Electronics assures us they're not). The rest of the knobs are actually extremely solid, so the wobbly ones really stand out. And yeah, it feels like they're fighting me; I find them unpleasant to use.

I have to lean from side to side to get the right viewing angle on them. The twinkle of the reflective centers doesn't help.
I would really hesitate to put taller knobs on. They will only generate more lateral force on the encoder.
Old 1st December 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac808 ➡️
I would really hesitate to put taller knobs on. They will only generate more lateral force on the encoder.
Yeah…I have no intention of swapping out any of the knobs.
Old 6th December 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
99% of every function is mapped to CCs from the day it was released. It's an exceptionally powerful analog monosynth for the money.

Thank you. I love the sound of this thing from the demo. I've got my heart set on a Sub 37, but might want to get this first.
Old 6th December 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I have a Take5 as my master keyboard these days, I wonder if I can use it's knobs to send CC to my SE-02.. Will probably need a bunch of CC remapping?
Old 7th December 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c ➡️
I have a Take5 as my master keyboard these days, I wonder if I can use it's knobs to send CC to my SE-02.. Will probably need a bunch of CC remapping?
SE-02 CC mapping attached
Attached Files
Old 22nd February 2022 | Show parent

🎧 5 years
SE-02 vs Momo for saving patches within DAW

I imagine this has probably been discussed at some point in this thread, but I could not find it, despite digging through over 70 pages. Sorry if this is a repeat.

I bought the official SE-02 editor, and I've got it working in Logic Pro as a Midi FX plugin (it sounds like implementation is more straightforward on Logic than on Ableton, given previous discussion). But I'm having a hell of a time handling patch management. I'm hoping someone can offer some advice.

Is it simply impossible to save patches from within the DAW? Ideally, I'd like to just be able to save the state of the plugin using Logic's internal preset saving (I.e. just hitting Setting --> save as), but it doesn't seem to be working. When I load up a patch saved in this way, the knobs on the plugin window do indeed change to reflect the saved patch, but nothing on the synth actually changes (the sound stays the same) until I individually touch each knob. It's as if upon recall, no CC is sent to the synth.

Alternatively, I thought I could at least just save the plugin state to the user bank on the synth and then make a notation so I can manually recall, but it seems like there's not actually any functionality in the plugin to save to the user bank? Is that only possible using the standalone?

Without any recall-ability, it makes the plugin pretty useless -- I'd need to commit to a sound and print to audio every time I work on a session, otherwise all of the settings will be lost? Is it really possible that the plugin version of official editor lacks any patch saving functionality whatsoever? This all seems especially surprising given that the Momo editor advertises the ability to save patches from the DAW. I reached out to Studio Electronics support asking these questions last night, I will update when I hear back.

Since I just shelled out $25 for the official editor (I may try to get a refund if this basic functionality is unavailable), before I go ahead and buy Momo's editor, is there anyone here who has tried both editors and can describe what the Momo editor may lack over the official editor? Does the patch saving work as advertised? Is the DAW implementation the same (I'm hoping the Momo editor also works as a Midi FX plugin in Logic, since I need to be able to use the External Instrument Plugin simultaneously)? Are there missing features in Momo? Is it just as responsive? Any known differences would be appreciated since documentation on both editors is very sparse.

Thanks in advance!

PS. EXT boxes are not discontinued, they're just not making them very often. There's a small stock available now direct from SE.
Old 22nd February 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodyb ➡️
I imagine this has probably been discussed at some point in this thread, but I could not find it, despite digging through over 70 pages. Sorry if this is a repeat.

I bought the official SE-02 editor, and I've got it working in Logic Pro as a Midi FX plugin (it sounds like implementation is more straightforward on Logic than on Ableton, given previous discussion). But I'm having a hell of a time handling patch management. I'm hoping someone can offer some advice.

Is it simply impossible to save patches from within the DAW? Ideally, I'd like to just be able to save the state of the plugin using Logic's internal preset saving (I.e. just hitting Setting --> save as), but it doesn't seem to be working. When I load up a patch saved in this way, the knobs on the plugin window do indeed change to reflect the saved patch, but nothing on the synth actually changes (the sound stays the same) until I individually touch each knob. It's as if upon recall, no CC is sent to the synth.

Alternatively, I thought I could at least just save the plugin state to the user bank on the synth and then make a notation so I can manually recall, but it seems like there's not actually any functionality in the plugin to save to the user bank? Is that only possible using the standalone?

Without any recall-ability, it makes the plugin pretty useless -- I'd need to commit to a sound and print to audio every time I work on a session, otherwise all of the settings will be lost? Is it really possible that the plugin version of official editor lacks any patch saving functionality whatsoever? This all seems especially surprising given that the Momo editor advertises the ability to save patches from the DAW. I reached out to Studio Electronics support asking these questions last night, I will update when I hear back.

Since I just shelled out $25 for the official editor (I may try to get a refund if this basic functionality is unavailable), before I go ahead and buy Momo's editor, is there anyone here who has tried both editors and can describe what the Momo editor may lack over the official editor? Does the patch saving work as advertised? Is the DAW implementation the same (I'm hoping the Momo editor also works as a Midi FX plugin in Logic, since I need to be able to use the External Instrument Plugin simultaneously)? Are there missing features in Momo? Is it just as responsive? Any known differences would be appreciated since documentation on both editors is very sparse.

Thanks in advance!

PS. EXT boxes are not discontinued, they're just not making them very often. There's a small stock available now direct from SE.
Alas, I never got the plugin I paid for working in my DAWs. The standalone works great.

The ExtBox is now priced at $180 which.... you really need to love your SE-02 to get at that price - it definitely adds SOME value to the SE-02. But, then, everything is going up in price. Mine was purchased at $120 or so, I think it was, the month they came out.
📝 Reply