Quantcast
Kurzweil K2000/K2500 differences in tone.. - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Kurzweil K2000/K2500 differences in tone..
Old 7th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

I love the K2500. I have the keyboard version and a rack version.

Deleted e86dc22
Are the live input cards rare ? this threads making me realise i need to use mine more
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted e86dc22 ➡️
Are the live input cards rare ? this threads making me realise i need to use mine more
live mode comes just from having sampling I believe
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gminorcoles ➡️
live mode comes just from having sampling I believe
yup. And the right OS. Live mode wasn't in the early OS's.
Lives for gear

Here's a sampling option expansion card for the K2000:

https://reverb.com/item/32077331-kur...g-option-smp-k
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psionic11 ➡️
Here's a sampling option expansion card for the K2000:

https://reverb.com/item/32077331-kur...g-option-smp-k
It’s worth pointing out that the K2000 doesn’t have live mode in any form. That requires a K2500 or later with sampling option.
Old 26th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowsOfLife ➡️
MIDI SYSEX for samples (or MIDI SDS, technically) would be very slow, but it is doable. It's just a matter of how patient you are(n't).

The floppy drive can hold some samples, depending upon their size -- and what else is on the floppy, of course. If you've maxed out the sample RAM in the K2xxx, one floppy won't hold enough. You can split things over floppies, but you'll probably get tired of swapping floppies fairly quickly. And if one fails (and eventually, almost all floppy disks fail), you're out of luck in retrieving your sample -- and the probably the patch you based it upon.

Steve
It's not to bad a task to load ur own custom samples via floppy, SCSI or Sysex on a Kurzweil K2k. Sure it's takes a little time but if you're able to you can do it beforehand for gig or a session or what have you then it certainly is doable that's what rehearsal is for right. 2mb of RAM maxxed out or not should be plenty enough for any kind of musical situation if you're crafty u can coax & squeeze alot of sound bytes out of that amount of RAM. If you're worried about faulty disks just make lots of backups they're must likely not all gonna fail (staying positive helps to) SCSI or Sysex is a great way to store patches,programs or sequences might be kinda slow for this day age but if you're short on setup time just give yourself the leeway to become more efficient at it so as to complete it in a manageable frame of parameters. Anything good that's worth doing is going take a little time even with flash memory and ultra-fast computers of the present day. I mean they did it with emulators and analog mods the size of refrigerators in the past of a bygone era with out any ROM blocks and very little rationed RAM. Having an adequate amount of preparation time is still a necessity not an option and shouldn't be a limitation for anyone with anykind of instrument even these days where time seems to be so precious. The probability of living in the past maybe more than just slight here but quoting the people at Kurzweil 'It's the Sound' that matters not the ease, portability or swiftness to produce it folks.
Old 25th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
We have a 2500r / K2600 and a K2VXs all MIDI together --- --- we only use the samples direct out of the 8 individual outputs ( never used the effects or the sampling features ) They have been the heart of our studio >> Have since the 90's..Perfect tone for our productions

Last edited by cjogo; 25th November 2020 at 06:25 AM..
Old 3rd April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I love my k2500 a lot. I have used it for more than 20 years all ready. Lately i'm also looking at the Forte-7. How does the Forte-7 relate soundwise to the k2x?
Is the VAST engine as powerful and does it have the same thick lovely kurzweil sound?
Old 10th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizeh12 ➡️
I love my k2500 a lot. I have used it for more than 20 years all ready. Lately i'm also looking at the Forte-7. How does the Forte-7 relate soundwise to the k2x?
Is the VAST engine as powerful and does it have the same thick lovely kurzweil sound?
IMHO no. The Forte has maybe a slightly better keybed. That's probably what makes it shine comparatively with it's siblings (Artis would be next inline as far as that goes with it's action & feel being a shade better than K's,PC's or SP's. Regardless this aspect on all the Kurz's IYAME are stellar & highly configureable to suit the user with many tweakable options thanx dude.

'All Hail Kurzweil!''Long Live V.A.S.T. !' Thanx for your genius Ray K.
Old 11th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizeh12 ➡️
The Forte allows way more complex algorithms in the 'Horizontal' direction: i.e. you can chain a lot of DSP processes within V.A.S.T., even create your own routings.

What the K2500 and K2600 have that Forte doesn't have (the K2700 doesn't either) are all the hundreds of thousands of algorithm combinations made possible through Live Mode and specific routing/patching abilities which can be used together with it, especially with the sampling option installed, including feedback architectures, parallel and series processing combos, etc...

Most people haven't even heard of these at all. Some pseudo-guru around here goes around saying there's no feedback in V.A.S.T....

You have more than a lifetime of exploration to do with those special modes on your K2500.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by YashN ➡️
The Forte allows way more complex algorithms in the 'Horizontal' direction: i.e. you can chain a lot of DSP processes within V.A.S.T., even create your own routings.

What the K2500 and K2600 have that Forte doesn't have (the K2700 doesn't either) are all the hundreds of thousands of algorithm combinations made possible through Live Mode and specific routing/patching abilities which can be used together with it, especially with the sampling option installed, including feedback architectures, parallel and series processing combos, etc...

Most people haven't even heard of these at all. Some pseudo-guru around here goes around saying there's no feedback in V.A.S.T....

You have more than a lifetime of exploration to do with those special modes on your K2500.
Live Mode aside, does the Forte / K2700 have the same, more, or less algorithms, processing combos, etc. Also, What about the SOUND?

I keep hearing people speak of the K2500 / K2600 as having a more full sound than the PC3 or Forte. When I had a K2600 years ago I remember it had a truly amazing sound - the most full, warm and hi-fi (yes, hi-fi) sound of anything I had at the time. BUT, fast forward years later when I briefly used a PC3K7 and I thought it sounded a little flat overall. Granted, this could have been as I became accustomed to newer Keyboards, better Software, lossless audio, vs the MP3s and crappy DACs that were ubiquitous during the K2600 era.

Any thoughts on this? What opinions do folks have on the sound of the K2500/K2600 vs their PC3K vs a Forte (or K2700)?

If there's already a sound 'versus' thread, please point me to it as an initial search didn't show one.
📝 Reply