Quantcast
Behringer VP 330 Vocoder clone - Page 89 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer VP 330 Vocoder clone
Old 21st September 2021 | Show parent
  #2641
Deleted ff365b1
Guest
Is it normal for the vocoder to be a good bit quieter than the strings or choir? Even with the vocoder maxed on the mixer, the strings and choir are much louder even at half way.

Also, for the vocoder to distort fairly easily? It seems like it has really low headroom, I have either turn the input level way down and get a thinner sound or have really strong control of my singing volume.. Turning off the ensemble helps but not entirely.

I have to turn the vc340 volume to 100% and have the loud switch on, and crank the volume on my mixer fully to make the vocoder usable with all my other synths and drum machines.

i have an early unit, i preordered before it was even listed. I've kinda made due for the last couple years but I'm starting to realize maybe this isn't by design? Or is it?
Old 21st September 2021 | Show parent
  #2642
Lives for gear
 
Rob Ocelot's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGoreRhythm ➡️
Is it normal for the vocoder to be a good bit quieter than the strings or choir? Even with the vocoder maxed on the mixer, the strings and choir are much louder even at half way.

Also, for the vocoder to distort fairly easily? It seems like it has really low headroom, I have either turn the input level way down and get a thinner sound or have really strong control of my singing volume.. Turning off the ensemble helps but not entirely.

I have to turn the vc340 volume to 100% and have the loud switch on, and crank the volume on my mixer fully to make the vocoder usable with all my other synths and drum machines.

i have an early unit, i preordered before it was even listed. I've kinda made due for the last couple years but I'm starting to realize maybe this isn't by design? Or is it?
I found the kind of mic used had an impact on the vocoder gain levels. I don't think this was as much of a problem back in the late '70s with the Roland original as the gamut of mics are more limited. Today though, there's mics of all types and impedances (and sizes).

It still puzzles me why Behringer just didn't throw in a cheapo 'gimme' mic to get people started.
Old 21st September 2021 | Show parent
  #2643
vlz
Lives for gear
 
vlz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot ➡️
I found the kind of mic used had an impact on the vocoder gain levels. I don't think this was as much of a problem back in the late '70s with the Roland original as the gamut of mics are more limited. Today though, there's mics of all types and impedances (and sizes).

It still puzzles me why Behringer just didn't throw in a cheapo 'gimme' mic to get people started.
I guess a cheapo mic won't cut it. I'm using a condenser (AKG C1000), which is not expensive but not cheap either. I get a good signal out of the vocoder with it, no problem.

Someone here(?) mentioned using a compressor, but I did not think I need you in my use.
Old 21st September 2021 | Show parent
  #2644
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGoreRhythm ➡️
Is it normal for the vocoder to be a good bit quieter than the strings or choir? Even with the vocoder maxed on the mixer, the strings and choir are much louder even at half way.

Also, for the vocoder to distort fairly easily? It seems like it has really low headroom, I have either turn the input level way down and get a thinner sound or have really strong control of my singing volume.. Turning off the ensemble helps but not entirely.

I have to turn the vc340 volume to 100% and have the loud switch on, and crank the volume on my mixer fully to make the vocoder usable with all my other synths and drum machines.

i have an early unit, i preordered before it was even listed. I've kinda made due for the last couple years but I'm starting to realize maybe this isn't by design? Or is it?
Without using a mixer I can record a clean and clear vocoder at around -20dbfs, I think is a good start for studio work. On the other hand if I use the mixer or a vca module on my modular I could record the vocoder at a much higher level, I could also make it louder by switching the input level on my converter, but i am ok with -20dbfs and later boost itb.
Old 22nd September 2021
  #2645
Lives for gear
 
Back when I bought my original VP-330, the guy who owned the studio (and who had 4 or 5 of those units) told me the best mic for it was by far a cheap talk-back mic
Old 22nd September 2021 | Show parent
  #2646
vlz
Lives for gear
 
vlz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinw ➡️
Back when I bought my original VP-330, the guy who owned the studio (and who had 4 or 5 of those units) told me the best mic for it was by far a cheap talk-back mic
Well I ought to try that. I didn't think it would fare well with a dynamic mic, but what do I know.
Old 22nd September 2021 | Show parent
  #2647
Lives for gear
 
The Elf's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz ➡️
Well I ought to try that. I didn't think it would fare well with a dynamic mic, but what do I know.
Cheaper dynamics have always given me subjectively better results with vocoders. My favourite currently is a Shure WH20 headset mic that solves the problem of keeping a consistent angle and distance to the mic too.
Old 22nd September 2021 | Show parent
  #2648
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz ➡️
Well I ought to try that. I didn't think it would fare well with a dynamic mic, but what do I know.
I get great results with an SM58.
(copy and paste into any mic thread)
Old 22nd September 2021 | Show parent
  #2649
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinDog ➡️
I get great results with an SM58.
(copy and paste into any mic thread)
Me too, SM58 sounds good, but I actually record the voice in the daw first and compress/eq until the vocoder sounds as i want it to sound.
Dynamic and eq of the voice can make a big difference in the overall vocoder sound.
Old 22nd September 2021 | Show parent
  #2650
Deleted ff365b1
Guest
Thanks for all the advice. ive tried an md421 and shure sm57 with and without windscreen and neither has given me good results. either clips way too easily or not enough treble
Old 23rd September 2021 | Show parent
  #2651
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
Why not just make it behringer all the way through? Look up the behringer ta 312s gooseneck mic.. seems the obvious choice no?
Old 23rd September 2021 | Show parent
  #2652
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowfood ➡️
Why not just make it behringer all the way through? Look up the behringer ta 312s gooseneck mic.. seems the obvious choice no?
I find the problem with gooseneck mics on vocoders is they’re never long enough and they pick up vibration from playing the keys or even touching the case.
Old 24th September 2021
  #2653
vlz
Lives for gear
 
vlz's Avatar
FWIW, I picked up an SM58 in the studio to try with the vocoder. While it worked, I got better subjectively results with the C1000. In any case the signal out of the vocoder was comparable in level with the strings and voice with either mic.
Old 3rd October 2021 | Show parent
  #2654
Gear Addict
 
Rtroost's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz ➡️
FWIW, I picked up an SM58 in the studio to try with the vocoder. While it worked, I got better subjectively results with the C1000. In any case the signal out of the vocoder was comparable in level with the strings and voice with either mic.
I use a 57 with the windscreen on mine. The tight pickup pattern is helpful in rejecting extraneous stage noises
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 273 views: 45301
Avatar for justmull
justmull 1st June 2021
replies: 5 views: 3154
Avatar for Reptil
Reptil 27th October 2016
replies: 7559 views: 493991
Avatar for SkyWriter
SkyWriter 22nd October 2021
replies: 0 views: 812
Avatar for Deleted 60622ed18ae7bb7
Deleted 60622ed18ae7bb7 30th July 2019
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump