Quantcast
Behringer VP 330 Vocoder clone - Page 58 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer VP 330 Vocoder clone
Old 2nd May 2019
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Yeah, but, unlike Solinas, Logans are pretty cheap - or rather not ridiculously ovepriced (in the $150-400 range, as far as I've seen), so they don't scream for resissue that hard
Old 2nd May 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch ➡️
forget the eminent solina, logan is much better...but you have to personally experience anyway ..

Sorry couldn’t disagree more. The Logan is much more lo-fi but not in a good way. Though it has independent articulation which is a win over the Solina the overall sound quality is poor and they are particularly hissy too. I owned two of them and have no regrets selling them on. They don’t come close to the beautiful sonics of the Solina. Ps I have the Mk2 Solina.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga ➡️
Sorry couldn’t disagree more. The Logan is much more lo-fi but not in a good way. Though it has independent articulation which is a win over the Solina the overall sound quality is poor and they are particularly hissy too. I owned two of them and have no regrets. They don’t come close to the beautiful sonics of the Solina.
I have the logan mkII and find it better, is probably a matter of taste ...
for me the sound is more alive, which is probably lofi for you
which is also a point for me, the logan has much more adjustment options

technically the two are very similar, the same chorus .. a master oscillator, same bdd, s in the triple chorus ...
I have not written without reason that he should hear it in real
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch ➡️
I have the logan mkII and find it better, is probably a matter of taste ...
for me the sound is more alive, which is probably lofi for you
which is also a point for me, the logan has much more adjustment options
Personal preference for sure. I also owned the string melody 2. But the Logan is really rolled off in the highs and sits more in the high mids so it sounds smaller and more nasally. Hence my description as lo fi. The main problem was the hiss/poor signal to noise ratio which I found unbearable. Having said that perhaps I should have had a tech look at mine but at the time I didn’t know a good one. The Solina just delivers every time for me. Nothing can do that single held high not real strings vibe like a Solina. Ask Roy Ayers!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Personal preference for sure. I also owned the string melody 2. But the Logan is really rolled off in the highs and sits more in the high mids so it sounds smaller and more nasally. Hence my description as lo fi. The main problem was the hiss/poor signal to noise ratio which I found unbearable. Having said that perhaps I should have had a tech look at mine but at the time I didn’t know a good one. The Solina just delivers every time for me. Nothing can do that single held high not real strings vibe like a Solina. Ask Roy Ayers!
roy plays vibraphone with distortion
just what you describe can be adjusted very well with the tone controls, I do not feel that way with mine. in the eminent the sound is more or less fixed ..
one thing must not be ignored, 40 years old synths .. it is quite possible that there are significant sound differences from synth to synth.
in comparison to the Eminent 310 Unique are both cheap versions even if it is claimed that the solina based also the 310 ..

but one thing I can say from my own experience. the roland strings can not get to both

Old 2nd May 2019
vlz
Lives for gear

Here's a selection of stringers laid out for Uli to pick (I am sure some of you have seen this, but hey...)

Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz ➡️
Here's a selection of stringers laid out for Uli to pick (I am sure some of you have seen this, but hey...)

yes the pertinent video is known, he should please build one where you can mix the individual models together .. ultrastring 2001
Start with all of these.

Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Behringer ➡️
One day it’ll be done as I always wanted to build one for myself.

But there is a pretty long list ahead of this beauty.

There is no timeline right now.

Uli
But there's been quite a saturation of mono synths and similars

And there hasn't been a proper string machine for almost 40 years. Today we only have mediocre VST, and there're PLENTY of mono and poly analog synths around
Old 2nd May 2019
Gear Addict

I don't know why I keep on checking on this - I've no GAS for either a stringer or a vocoder - but stock levels at Gear4Music are now below 10 - and the price has gone up by £10. Props/blame to GeoSynth for his YT video - he's fished me in...sort of.
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
And there hasn't been a proper string machine for almost 40 years. Today we only have mediocre VST, and there're PLENTY of mono and poly analog synths around
Except for the VC340, there is no subsitute for a real stinger. As I don't need the choirs and vocoder, I wait for the Behringer Solina in 2021.
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Did a little video for fun showing my first thoughts. I'm not planning on giving Sonic State or Geosynths a run for their money any time soon I'd hasten to add. Its just filmed on an iphone sellotaped to my modular. Though I did at least mix in the direct signal. Also apologise for constant closeup of my grubby shorts, I'd just been gardening.

Last edited by Touchmaster; 2nd May 2019 at 01:38 PM..
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbleraptor ➡️
I don't know why I keep on checking on this - I've no GAS for either a stringer or a vocoder - but stock levels at Gear4Music are now below 10 - and the price has gone up by £10. Props/blame to GeoSynth for his YT video - he's fished me in...sort of.
they found another 10 somewhere - it's 19 now.
i think it's pretty cheeky of them to raise the price like that - they're only supposed to be 499 Euros (and will be again once others get stock in)
i wonder what the carbon footprint is on shipping them from china to the uk, and now back around the world?
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I also prefer the Logan over the Solina (I find the Solina sound very weak and screaming in a bad way).
Of course it's all a matter of taste but there are a number of string synths I'd love to see cloned before the Solina, just to name a few:

-Korg Trident
-Logan String Melody 2
-Korg Delta
-Korg Lambda ES50
-Yamaha SK20
-Roland RS505

This is a very interesting comparison of some of the best? stringers (including a Waldorf Streichfett). I love the Trident!!! (The RS505 did a good job here as well).

https://youtu.be/smEMTPd2VgY
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason moyer ➡️
Start with all of these.

Hahaha I posted the same video only 1 minute ago, didn't realize about your post.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponkine ➡️
But there's been quite a saturation of mono synths and similars

Agree. If Behringer doesn't do the Solina any time soon, I hope someone else does (I would've thought Korg, but I think Black Corporation would be a good candidate).
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
It was quite a heated debate when we had to decide on the specs, but our research had revealed that the current version is the best compromise. We however respect that some of you may have different preferences.

I hope that the amazing sound of the Vocoder is what ultimately matters. To this day, it's one of my all-time favorites - but then I am biased;-)

Uli
I'm sure that is all true (I'm all for basing decisions on research) but for me, personally, the 3 octaves are a bit of a deal-breaker. To be honest I recently bought a new house (currently being built) so I'm looking at a lot of expected and unexpected future expenses so I'm a bit careful buying stuff right now but had it had 4 octaves I would probably have pulled the trigger regardless.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
All wrong? We cannot make enough and our order book is way beyond what we had predicted.
Uli
But you don't know what would have actually happened had it had 4 octaves, do you?

Anyway, I do feel that 3 octaves makes absolutely no sense for a poly synth or stringer. A stringer is begging to be played with both hands. With 3 octaves it's main use (without an external MIDI keyboard) is as a vocoder. For use primarily as a vocoder you might as well have made it 2 octaves.

If you do make a Solina clone (Mk1 please!) at some point I do hope you will give it at least 4 octaves.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
One day it’ll be done as I always wanted to build one for myself.

But there is a pretty long list ahead of this beauty.

There is no timeline right now.

Uli
Awesome!

Hope it will be the Mk1 that you clone. Wouldn't mind if it has a built-in phaser (blasphemy for some I'm sure) for that instant JMJ vibe .
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by donato ➡️
Agree. If Behringer doesn't do the Solina any time soon, I hope someone else does (I would've thought Korg, but I think Black Corporation would be a good candidate).
+1 if Korg came out with cheap Solina and 2600 desktop modules to fill out their Arp line it would be a slam dunk.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYZ ➡️
Awesome!

Hope it will be the Mk1 that you clone. Wouldn't mind if it has a built-in phaser (blasphemy for some I'm sure) for that instant JMJ vibe .
Not just 'a phaser'. A 1976 EHX Small Stone clone, of course.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Personal preference for sure. I also owned the string melody 2. But the Logan is really rolled off in the highs and sits more in the high mids so it sounds smaller and more nasally. Hence my description as lo fi. The main problem was the hiss/poor signal to noise ratio which I found unbearable.
This chimes completely with my experience. I got mine free from the local tip and it was in rough cosmetic condition (I think probably a hard life spent in working men's clubs accompanying some guy in a blue velvet tux). Saying that it all worked. I tried to love it but the hiss and s/n ratio were terrible. Inside someone had hacked in some kind of DI box to the output but I'm not sure if it worked or made any difference.

Anyway it's languishing in the garage now minus a keyboard bus bar which I cannibalised to keep my Minimoog going. 'Tis a far far better thing it did, than it had ever done...
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastropiero ➡️
Yes, absolutely, that's the one I'd want. The name eluded me for a moment so I just omitted it and instead referenced JMJ

Behringer already has a clone of 'a' Small Stone phaser (Behringer VP1 'Vintage Phaser', not sure if it's exactly the 1976 version but I think it is). I even got one for use with my StreichFett but haven't had the time to try it yet.

I'm not sure how the usual routing is but I think it would be nice to have a stereo Small Stone clone after the Solina's chorus.
DGL
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYZ ➡️
Awesome!

Eh, I want full on Eminent 310U thanks (with built in smallstone of course), now that would be more interesting to recreate.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy.hudd ➡️
they found another 10 somewhere - it's 19 now.
i think it's pretty cheeky of them to raise the price like that - they're only supposed to be 499 Euros (and will be again once others get stock in)
i wonder what the carbon footprint is on shipping them from china to the uk, and now back around the world?
The price rise is a bit cheeky, but it wouldn't put me off. I'll probably wait for a while anyway - hopefully this clone is so successful B will go beyond the initial run.
As far as the carbon footprint goes - Mega ships full of clothes, phones and kitchen items from China far outnumber a few containers of keyboards for synth nuts I would think.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastropiero ➡️
In the '80's, combining a Solina stringer with a Small Stone phaser was the way to go.

That's our take on it - please ignore the date and price as we haven't decided if and when we will build this recreation.

I would appreciate some feedback from you.

Uli
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
In the '80's, combining a Solina stringer with a Small Stone phaser was the way to go.

That's our take on it - please ignore the date and price as we haven't decided if and when we will build this recreation.

Uli
You're torturing us with that date!!! I can't ignore what I've already seen!!! Will happily pay $1,000 for a Solina remake.

+1 For the module, not the keyboard, but I'd buy it either way.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Uli, you're going to bankrupt me - it hurts, but it's a good hurt!

I've still got my collection of Small Stones here, that I did use with a Solina (more often Sielorchestra), but the MXR Phase 100 was always the better option, IMHO - I have mine modded to take the speed waaaaay down.

I invariably used a pair of phasers, set to different speeds and panned L/R.

The module format makes sense (especially after the grief we've given you over the chopped-off VC340 keyboard ), but PLEASE, internal PSU, mate! The last thing I need is yet another line-lump/wall-wart with a cotton-thin cable. I've just bought an X-Touch and was pleasantly surprised to see that IEC connector - thanks!

Last edited by The Elf; 2nd May 2019 at 04:39 PM..
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGL ➡️
Eh, I want full on Eminent 310U thanks (with built in smallstone of course), now that would be more interesting to recreate.
You want all the non-stringsynth stuff of the Eminent 310 Unique? Wouldn't be interested in that but afaik the Solina Mk1 has the exact same circuitry as the stringsynth section of the 310 Unique. I don't care much about all the organ stuff of the 310.
Quote:
Looks awesome. Will buy it when the keyboard version comes out.

You guys sure like to sell Keysteps, I'll give you that. Personally I'd rather give the extra $150 in keys/cables to you and get a complete instrument.
📝 Reply