The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer VP 330 Vocoder clone
Old 13th February 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by donato ➡️
...I think the main reason for it being smaller is people want smaller these days. Everything has gotten smaller...
Aside from a few lovely exceptions like the River and the Quantum.
Behringer VP 330 Vocoder clone-river-prophet.jpg
Behringer VP 330 Vocoder clone-river-case.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer VP 330 Vocoder clone-river-prophet.jpg   Behringer VP 330 Vocoder clone-river-case.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The DeepMind 6 has 37 keys, just like the Behr VP330. I'm sure it's the exact same keyboard.

I think the main reason for it being smaller is people want smaller these days. Everything has gotten smaller. I agree a module would be preferable.
Whoops! I was thinking the Deepminds were 5 and 4. If they could make this VP340 in 4 octaves for the same sort of price as a Deepmind 12, it would be head to head with the new Waldorf one.
Old 13th February 2018
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
If the size is the concern, I think I'd actually prefer 4 octaves of mini keys than 3 full-sized on this.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamstan ➡️
If the size is the concern, I think I'd actually prefer 4 octaves of mini keys than 3 full-sized on this.
Noooooooo
Old 13th February 2018
Here for the gear

This is theee single opportunity to get a nice clone of a great gear. It probably won't come again. I would offer a 3 and a 4 octave version, and also a desktop/rack version. So all stringer and vocoder fans would be very satisfied. I wish the VC340 so much success in every version.

But please, NO slim keys!!! This trend is sick!!!
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Behringer is known for listening to customers and its 4 octaves full size keys we want.

Yes, the vocoder only needs 3, but many will use it for a stringer. 4 it has to be!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec ➡️
Behringer is known for listening to customers and its 4 octaves full size keys we want.

Yes, the vocoder only needs 3, but many will use it for a stringer. 4 it has to be!
Speak for yourself. I'd much prefer 3 because of size constraints.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Speak for yourself. I'd much prefer 3 because of size constraints.
Suppose you could choose between a module, 3 octave, or 4 octave: which one would you get?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYZ ➡️
Suppose you could choose between a module, 3 octave, or 4 octave: which one would you get?
The order you just listed.

1. Module 2. Three octave 3. Four octave
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The more keys it has, the less likely I am to buy one. I'd much prefer zero keys.
Old 14th February 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Unless they are making a Solina or something as well!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock ➡️
Unless they are making a Solina or something as well!
What do you mean? If Behringer makes a Solina, people would stop using the VP as stringer
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
What do you mean? If Behringer makes a Solina, people would stop using the VP as stringer
Well if they made a 4 octave Solina as well, they could have the VP340 as a 3 octave vocoder focused one. Would it make sense for Behringer to make two 4 octave stringer things? Uli has said he's keen on the Solina.
Old 14th February 2018
Deleted 153c85c
I like to discuss the status of the VC340 with you and appreciate your feedback.

As we have often explained to you, our pricing model is defined by a straightforward "bottom up" calculation, which means we multiply our manufacturing cost by a factor of approximately 3 in order to arrive at the US MAP (Minimum Advertised Price).
This will allow us to pay for our development and manufacturing cost but also enable distributors and retailers to distribute the product to you and equally pay for their staff.

In terms of the Vocoder VC340 we are struggling a bit. This is a pretty exotic synthesizer and many people told us that we're totally crazy to invest so much time and effort to bring it back to life.
People who are familiar with technology understand that this is a very complex analog product as it contains over 3,000 components of specified with very low tolerances.

While we have not decided to actually manufacture the product, I personally like to bring it back as it's such a beautiful instrument. In fact it's a synthesizer I feel very sentimental about as it was one of those synths I always wanted but could not afford when I was a kid!

Now here's where we are:

1.) If our order book covers at least 1,000 units, it would allow us to sell the VC340 for US$ MAP 999.99.
2.) If we can collect orders for more than 5,000 units, we could actually lower the price to US$ 799,99.
3.) If we cannot gather at least orders for 1,000 units, we unfortunately would have to abandon the project as we would loose too much money. In this case I have at least my own prototype:-).

Please share with us your level of interest. Thanks for your help - I truly hope we can make this happen:-)

Uli

Last edited by Deleted 153c85c; 14th February 2018 at 08:04 AM..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Behringer ➡️
I like to discuss the status of the VC340 with you and appreciate your feedback.

As we have often explained to you, our pricing model is defined by a straightforward "bottom up" calculation, which means we multiply our manufacturing cost by a factor 3 in order to arrive at the US MAP (Minimum Advertised Price). This will allow us to pay for our development and manufacturing cost but also enable distributors and retailers to distribute the product to you and equally pay for their staff.

In terms of the Vocoder VC340 we are struggling a bit. This is a pretty exotic synthesizer and many people told us that we're a bit crazy to invest so much time and effort to bring it back to life. While we have not decided to actually manufacture the product, I personally like to bring it back to the market as it's such a beautiful instrument. In fact it's a synthesizer I feel quite sentimental about as it was one of those synths I always wanted and could not afford as a kid.

Now here's where we are:

1.) If our order book covers at least 1,000 units, it would allow us to sell the VC340 for a MAP of US$ 999.99.
2.) If we can collect orders for more than 5,000 units, we could actually lower the price to you to US$ 799,99.
3.) If we cannot gather at least orders for 1,000 units, we unfortunately would have to abandon the project as we would loose too much money. In this case I have at least my own prototype:-).

Please share with us your level of interest. Thanks for your help - I truly hope we can make this happen:-)

Uli
Very excited about this one. It might become my first Behringer purchase, especially if it hits a MAP of $799.99. 5,000 units sure seems like a lot though. Didn't the MiniMoog Voyager sell something around 14,000 units over the course of its entire 15 year product cycle?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SovietSpaceChild ➡️
Very excited about this one. It might become my first Behringer purchase, especially if it hits a MAP of $799.99. 5,000 units sure seems like a lot though. Didn't the MiniMoog Voyager sell something around 14,000 units over the course of its entire 15 year product cycle?
Yes, but weren't they something like $3500? That would limit the market for them quite a bit.

Anything under a grand would surely open it up for a lot more potential buyers.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
1.) If our order book covers at least 1,000 units, it would allow us to sell the VC340 for US$ MAP 999.99.
2.) If we can collect orders for more than 5,000 units, we could actually lower the price to US$ 799,99.

Uli
For comparison, the full size MS20 reissues were limited to 1000 and they all sold in a year or so. If you announce this as "limited to XXXX", they will shift!
Old 14th February 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I suspect 1000 units is certainly doable, worldwide, but I'm not in that group. $999 is too much, for me, given my aversion to more keyboards and primary interest in the vocoder part. However, I hope it's a go just the same. I'm clearly a minority here, and many people in this thread are clearly huge fans of the string synth aspects.

I'd pay upwards of $799 for a module (and maybe for the whole keyboard, but it causes troubles for me, space wise, at any price), even upwards of $399 just for the vocoder as a separate module, but that's it, for me.

Good luck guys, I hope it sees the light of day in any form.
Old 14th February 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Any update on the promised string and choir demo with little to no effects? Might help substantially for selling the machine.
Old 14th February 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Count me in at $1,000

I’ve assumed it would be a higher end unit to do it right. And I’d prefer it be done right.
Old 14th February 2018
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Uli
Where to place my order.

This is the first synth, that got my attraction since a year or so. There are so many new nice sounding synths out there, but actually none of them really stands out. I'm still looking for a analog 909 clone, but when it comes to synths, I simply feel no GAS at the moment.

But this one is a different beast. Wouldn't even care if its over 1000$.

I really like vintage sounds, but I'm not a vintage synth guy, as these old machines need a lot of love and soldering.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Uli
Sold!

If you can add an octave of keyboard you can charge me another $200.

Just tell me where to send my money!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamstan ➡️
No, no a thousand times NO!!! No minikeys. Wipe minikeys off the face of the planet!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

As we have often explained to you, our pricing model is defined by a straightforward "bottom up" calculation, which means we multiply our manufacturing cost by a factor of approximately 3 in order to arrive at the US MAP (Minimum Advertised Price).
This will allow us to pay for our development and manufacturing cost but also enable distributors and retailers to distribute the product to you and equally pay for their staff.

In terms of the Vocoder VC340 we are struggling a bit. This is a pretty exotic synthesizer and many people told us that we're totally crazy to invest so much time and effort to bring it back to life.
People who are familiar with technology understand that this is a very complex analog product as it contains over 3,000 components of specified with very low tolerances.

While we have not decided to actually manufacture the product, I personally like to bring it back as it's such a beautiful instrument. In fact it's a synthesizer I feel very sentimental about as it was one of those synths I always wanted but could not afford when I was a kid!

Now here's where we are:

Uli
I'll buy 1,000 of them

(At $999 or 999€ I can't say it would be an instant buy for me, especially with the 3 octave keyboard. I'd still very likely buy one, but I'd have to plan for it a bit. $799 would be getting there..)
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Uli
Hmm, I'm not so sure at $999 but $799 makes it almost irresistible.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elf ➡️
No, no a thousand times NO!!! No minikeys. Wipe minikeys off the face of the planet!
4 (or 5) octaves full size would be best of course. However, on string synth, range is for me more important than keysize. 3 octaves, as somebody has mentioned, are OK for vocoder, but not enough for stringer. In that case I'd prefer module.

Up until recently I was strictly against minikeys too. However, I got Mininova (mainly for its vocoder ) and found its mini keyboard surprisingly playable.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinakroon ➡️
Yes, but weren't they something like $3500? That would limit the market for them quite a bit.

Anything under a grand would surely open it up for a lot more potential buyers.
Very true but I'm not so sure there are 5000 people looking for a stringer, I could be very wrong of course and I'm glad I don't make those decisions.

It's a pretty niche product compared to the DM12 for example which holds massive appeal across the synth market.

@ Uli Behringer yes you are certainly mad if you do it but that's why we love your concepts of the idea and the fact you are looking to push it through (much like the UBXA), it's such a breath of fresh air to see a manufacturer willing or attempting to provide the community with such instruments that many desire but cannot access without a very serious investment, how many of us out there willing to buy is your job, good luck, fingers crossed you get enough interest.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Any update on the promised string and choir demo with little to no effects? Might help substantially for selling the machine.
You know that @ Firechild will provide it when done, he said he would and he has the only unit out there.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro ➡️
You know that @ Firechild will provide it when done, he said he would and he has the only unit out there.
Yes, I will upload tomorrow. No effects at all, no multitracking. Comparing with the VP-330 as well.
Old 14th February 2018
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Not for me thanks. Love my D and looking forward to UB-Xa and Neutron and others though. I'm glad you are resurrecting the more niche products like this but personally I have no interest in string/choir/vocoders.
📝 Reply