Quantcast
Tracklib - The Liberation of Sampling? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tracklib - The Liberation of Sampling?
Old 4th May 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Tracklib - The Liberation of Sampling?

I found this at another forum and thought it would be interesting to see it discussed here.

Its basically a collection of classic songs where you can sample from and clear the samples you are taking within this platform, without lawyers and expensive costs.

It could be teh return of creative sampling if done right.

I think its an interesting solution to bridge the gap between copyright holders and creative sample manglers.

Old 4th May 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i guess it will depend on the actual library. clearing certain samples can be expensive or even impossible. It also depends on where you hang out musically. I am sure a lot of the underground house/techno scene doesn't clear samples and never did. It's also mostly obscure stuff mangled up. Moral stance aside, If someone releases a record that sells 94 copies, having used some other track or it, I think most big labels wouldn't waste time on it because the lawyers would cost more than they could actually get out of it. But for bootleg remixes to become legal/official, this would be a great choice. Again, not much info on the website yet so let's wait and see just how big the catalogue is and what styles it covers. Not only tracks get sampled heavily but also tv shows, interviews etc. I have sampled some youtube stuff and have contacted the guys directly about it and never got a reply. Ultimately, if you're making money off of somebody else's work, pay up. If you're just making some tracks without any real financial return of some serious image boost from it, wouldn't bother too much with it.
Old 4th May 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
In my opinion, sampling is only going to be "liberated" when copyright laws are adjusted to be a more reasonable balance between protecting intellectual property and supporting fair use. I acknowledge it's not an easy problem to solve.
Old 5th May 2017 | Show parent
DAH
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopthesignal ➡️
In my opinion, sampling is only going to be "liberated" when copyright laws are adjusted to be a more reasonable balance between protecting intellectual property and supporting fair use. I acknowledge it's not an easy problem to solve.
I think the interaction between the copyright holder and the sample users can be automated now given the technologies available now.
Old 6th May 2017
Here for the gear

Hello! I'm Head of Product at Tracklib so if you have any questions about the service and how it works - just let me know. If you want to get in earlier on the beta feel also free to send me an email at [email protected].
Old 6th May 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OskarTracklib ➡️
Hello! I'm Head of Product at Tracklib so if you have any questions about the service and how it works - just let me know. If you want to get in earlier on the beta feel also free to send me an email at [email protected].
hey oskar. i think a lot of people would like to know what kind of tracks are likely to be found on the platform. did you guys get any deals with some major record labels to have access to their catalogues or are you going through smaller labels. also, what kind of styles will there be? will it be a big platform with most of the disco records or lots of jazz? as your site is low on specific information, there's not much to discuss about except the idea of sampling/licenses.
Old 6th May 2017 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian N ➡️
hey oskar. i think a lot of people would like to know what kind of tracks are likely to be found on the platform. did you guys get any deals with some major record labels to have access to their catalogues or are you going through smaller labels. also, what kind of styles will there be? will it be a big platform with most of the disco records or lots of jazz? as your site is low on specific information, there's not much to discuss about except the idea of sampling/licenses.
We're in negotiations with a lot of labels right now, including the majors, but since that's where we are I can't tell you any details about that. The good thing about us being a sampling service however, is that the obscure stuff is just as interesting - perhaps even more - than the hits.

That does absolutely not mean it's only obscure stuff on there at all. We have everything from "Impeach the President", Ray Charles, Ike Turner and tons more. Also, we're trying to hunt down the original multitracks - the stuff that is hidden in vaults somewhere - we want to sell the separate tracks too!
Old 13th April 2018
Here for the gear

...and we're live! I just thought I'd let everyone here know that we've launched now, and is public for everyone.

Check out our video that explains how it works here:
YouTube
Old 15th July 2018
Gear Nut

I just used several tracklib tracks it's got a good selection plus it's cool to know that I can skip samples that cost more than $50 to clear. I'm already going through hell trying to clear a couple of songs that I made previous to this website so this is a breather
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…