The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Novation Circuit Mono Station
Old 5th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox ➡️
Don't know if we can still expect firmware updates for this but I wanted to compile my wish list somewhere, that way maybe I'll stop thinking about it.
  1. Micro-steps (to move off the grid or make trills/ratchets)
  2. Unquantised recording
  3. Step-time recording (SH-101 style)
  4. Probability/mutation like on the new Launchpad Pro
  5. Arpeggiator
  6. Roll/looper effect
  7. Disconnect Osc 2 from track 2 so that you can dedicate it to MIDI sequencing without it interfering with osc 2.
  8. Some way to randomize the Gate/Glide/Velocity patterns to change up patterns in a different way than what Mutate does.
  9. Assign different modulation shapes to every step of the Mod sequencer.
  10. AFX mode/overlays
  11. Fast LFO mode to go higher up the audio range

I think that's it. No clue if they're feasible. I love the thing as is but with Novation's frequent update habits I can't help but think about what could be. This little beast has not seen much love on that front, which is disappointing.
Hi,

I got myself a CMS a couple of months ago and did quite dig into it. I would have loved to see those feature requests implemented ! If I have to choose, it would surely have been the Micro Steps, Arpegiattor, Disconnect Osc 2 from track 2

I would like to share with you a couple of 2-minute videos I made with my CMS. I would really be happy to know what you think about them, and to hear your tracks/jams too!

Feat. CMS + Mininova:

Feat. only CMS:

Thanks!

All the best,
GilJ.
Old 6th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilJ ➡️
Hi,

I got myself a CMS a couple of months ago and did quite dig into it. I would have loved to see those feature requests implemented ! If I have to choose, it would surely have been the Micro Steps, Arpegiattor, Disconnect Osc 2 from track 2

I would like to share with you a couple of 2-minute videos I made with my CMS. I would really be happy to know what you think about them, and to hear your tracks/jams too!

Feat. CMS + Mininova:

Feat. only CMS:

Thanks!

All the best,
GilJ.
Nice use of the Mono Station there. Good work on both of the videos. Just one tiny point and this is merely my opinion. I would have softened the pad sound of the CMS only video. There are lots of spiky noises in there already so a softer pad would have worked well. Good work though. Unfortunately all my examples of the CMS are surrounded by a number of other synths. I do love it though, and often use it to program sequences for my other synths in addition to using its own sounds. Welcome to the CMS club!
Old 7th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Thanks a lot for taking the time to listen and for your comment Sapro!

I do agree that the pad sounded a little too bright (nay harsh) in this context with the sequences + drive etc. !

Just posted the 2nd part of the Dark Blue 2-minute video: 2 analog instruments joined the party, for the drums (Vermona Perfourmer Mk2) and the bass (Moog Minitaur) in case some of you might be interested

Cheers,
GilJ.
Old 8th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks a lot for taking the time to listen and for your comment Sapro!

I do agree that the pad sounded a little too bright (nay harsh) in this context with the sequences + drive etc. !

Just posted the 2nd part of the Dark Blue 2-minute video: 2 analog instruments joined the party, for the drums (Vermona Perfourmer Mk2) and the bass (Moog Minitaur) in case some of you might be interested

Cheers,
GilJ.
Excellent stuff really good. That Mini Nova is sounding sweet. Would love to own a Perfourmer. One of my dream synths
Old 30th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

last weekend Mono Staion still was on Novation website, but not anymore.
so, finally we know for sure it's discontinued.
Old 14th December 2020
Lives for gear

Circuit Mono Station isn't being sold anymore? Didn't it sell and that's why they discontinued it or is there something new and similar coming out in the near future?
Old 14th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

I doubt it's getting replaced. Compared to the Bass Station 2 that got a mostly cosmetic update and was selling out again, I don't think the Mono Station ever caught on as much. It's a shame, it's a cool synth and a cool concept. But other than the Arturia Minibrute 2S there aren't many out there like it. I think people who want a sequencer like this tend to want an all-out groovebox with drums.
Old 15th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraku ➡️
Circuit Mono Station isn't being sold anymore? Didn't it sell and that's why they discontinued it or is there something new and similar coming out in the near future?
It can still be found in quite a lot of stores in Europe (there were some bargains for Black Friday too)
Old 16th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I have been using my Mono Station as an analogue drum machine. With the resonant filter and abundant overdrive and distortion options it is perfect in that role. Seriously considering getting another one.
Gear Nut
Would love to see a 6-8 voices Circuit Poly Station (that would really be cool as a full analog drum machine too )
Gear Head

Quote:
Would love to see a 6-8 voices Circuit Poly Station (that would really be cool as a full analog drum machine too )
That would be cool, but I can only imagine the pricing on it if it has all those separate analog voices, almost like an Elektron Analog Rytm crossed with an Analog Four.

I'm a bad GearSlut, because even though that sounds awesome, I don't have much GAS to speak of at the moment.

My current core setup is a Digitakt, a Digitone, a MicroMonsta 2, and a Circuit Mono Station. I find with all the sound possibilities in these varied devices, I don't really miss "real" analog poly capabilities at the moment. The sampling/mangling/8 track sequencing of the Digitakt, the 8 multitimbral FM voices of the Digitone, the MM2 with its 12 voices of bitimbral (virtual) analog/FM/WT, and the real analog from the CMS when I just HAVE to have it, all these add up to MASSIVE sound variety.
Old 17th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSpaceP ➡️
That would be cool, but I can only imagine the pricing on it if it has all those separate analog voices, almost like an Elektron Analog Rytm crossed with an Analog Four.

I'm a bad GearSlut, because even though that sounds awesome, I don't have much GAS to speak of at the moment.

My current core setup is a Digitakt, a Digitone, a MicroMonsta 2, and a Circuit Mono Station. I find with all the sound possibilities in these varied devices, I don't really miss "real" analog poly capabilities at the moment. The sampling/mangling/8 track sequencing of the Digitakt, the 8 multitimbral FM voices of the Digitone, the MM2 with its 12 voices of bitimbral (virtual) analog/FM/WT, and the real analog from the CMS when I just HAVE to have it, all these add up to MASSIVE sound variety.
I'm putting together a similar core setup. Currently sitting with Digitone, Circuit, Circuit MonoStation, MS20m. Looking to add a Digitakt and Polyend next.

Still have other things off to the side to bring in as needed (Tanzbar, Minilogue, Monotribes, Minibrute, etc). But this is my current core setup.

I think you are pretty well covered.
Old 31st January 2021 | Show parent
NatLife Sounds

🎧 5 years
hi guys!

The new bank for Mono Station is out

Here is the demo

Old 14th April 2021
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Wondering if anyone gets voltage bleed from their CV output. Mine adds about 30ct to pitch when I patch it.

Also wondering if it's expected behavior that the mod sequencer doesn't trigger the mono's envelope. The manual isn't totally clear and can't seem to get a solid response from Novation, although they've offered to replace it for some $.
Old 14th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Also wondering if it's expected behavior that the mod sequencer doesn't trigger the mono's envelope.
No it doesn't. Don't think it should, it's for internal/external modulation, and the notes it can hold are for sequencing external gear.
Old 14th April 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exe2479 ➡️
No it doesn't. Don't think it should, it's for internal/external modulation, and the notes it can hold are for sequencing external gear.
Thanks for the reply. That’s what I assumed but wanted to be sure.

The voltage bleed seems unusual but I can live with it.
Old 22nd May 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotunes ➡️
Clever idea! I'll be getting one for sure!
Well, 4 years after my post above, I've finally got one. Everything I thought it would be. Crazy. Quick. Hypnotic. Funky. All of the above and more. Patch flip is freaking demonic. I was used to it on Circuit, but this is a new level of creating and evolving grooves. Endless potential here. I'm psyched.
Old 22nd May 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A question not addressed in the manual:

Shift + Sessions brings up a page with 3 lighted pads: One for osc1, one for osc2 and a third for the mod seq track. On this page, can I make any settings?

Manual says all secondary functions (i.e., shifted + button/knob) are silkscreened onto the face plate. I guess that since there isn't a secondary function printed under the Sessions button, Shift + Sessions doesn't do anything.

Any ideas?
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotunes ➡️
A question not addressed in the manual:

Shift + Sessions brings up a page with 3 lighted pads: One for osc1, one for osc2 and a third for the mod seq track. On this page, can I make any settings?

Manual says all secondary functions (i.e., shifted + button/knob) are silkscreened onto the face plate. I guess that since there isn't a secondary function printed under the Sessions button, Shift + Sessions doesn't do anything.

Any ideas?
It selects the track that outputs to cv/gate. There are some shift functions added with updates that are not printed. For example Shift+Pitch button for lfo keysync on, Shift+Pwm for legato off, env retrigger
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exe2479 ➡️
It selects the track that outputs to cv/gate. There are some shift functions added with updates that are not printed. For example Shift+Pitch button for lfo keysync on, Shift+Pwm for legato off, env retrigger
Ah, thanks. I skipped the CV section in the 1.2 update doc because my stuff is Hertz/volt, not volt/octave. Shift + Sessions is a wicked idea and makes me wish I already had something that could take advantage of it.
📝 Reply