The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer Mini model D? A good idea?
Old 14th March 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Not sure how Trans rights came into the mix. We are talking about instrument builders Moog and Behringer not Hobby Lobby. Lets keep the Drumpf effect off this topic please.

If Moog didn't want their design reproduced I'm sure they wouldn't have let the circuits go open source. Studio Electronics took advantage of the Model D filter and was well received here. Engineering advances by building on ideas, can you imagine how slow things would move if you had to start from scratch each time?

Music thrives when instruments are more accessible. Collectors and rich musicians will still desire the boutique Moog's. Moog will continue to innovate for both low and high markets as they have been. LOVE my budget Moog gear! I know I'll drop $4k on a sexy synth if someday I can, till then my Minitaur and perhaps Behringer will due.
Old 14th March 2017
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Now that's poor service! I'd send that sh*t back to where it came from. How can someone charge so much and give so little to the customer??

I bought a Moog piece but when it arrived it had a broken knob, I sent pics to the dealer in England who was useless so I contacted the Moog office, they sent everything plus extras the same week.
Old 14th March 2017 | Show parent
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerreyckenGerd ➡️
400€ is a lot of money for something made SMT components. The mainboard of this computer I am using right now contains much more components and costs only 40€....It remains throw away electronics made by pick and placing robots.

3900€ For a superb instrument that can be maintained and passed on for generations is normal to my presonal view.
I am a working class man and learned the value of certain things by building my own synths.
so you are comparing computer mainboards with synths? Even if Behringer is going to produce a VERY HIGH number of Minimoogs it will be a VERY LOW number compared to motherboard xy of any manufacturer. You know what happens? It's getting more expensive.

And why should a synth made with smd components be worse than one with tht? you know, Jomox is using SMD since the mid/late 90ies, the airbase is already SMD and you know what, in general people are more than convinved when it's about the sound of Jomox products. further there are people who have enaugh skill to repair SMD devices, SMD is already pretty common in every area of electronics and professionals are getting used to it more and more. It's even already common in the DIY scene to use certain SMD components..

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted b472e31 ➡️
Page 50 is only for yedi... i don’t have access to

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt pinchin ➡️
I have a weird bug on this thread. I can't access page 50 so I can't read it. I can read page 51 but if I try to read page 50 it just loads page 49 instead and keeps reloading in an endless loop and is very difficult to get out of it.
Very strange. Gonna try a different thread and see if the same page 50 bug exists there too
< I can't reproduce the bug - anyone else can't access page 50? >
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil ➡️
< I can't reproduce the bug - anyone else can't access page 50? >
Jedi mind trick.

Page 50 is fine from my control centre.
Old 14th March 2017

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 60622ed ➡️
Hey Rep "rant & fallout"? dunno what it is but I like it
Deleted b472e31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro ➡️
Jedi mind trick.

Page 50 is fine from my control centre.
i don’t have enough Midi-chlorian in me, for this
Old 14th March 2017
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Old 14th March 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
People keep saying Behringer should be more focused on innovative products. At the same time they accept that Moog didnt move one bit since 30 years.

Why is that?
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec ➡️
People keep saying Behringer should be more focused on innovative products. At the same time they accept that Moog didnt move one bit since 30 years.

Why is that?
and people are supposedly tired of clones yet there isn't one single MINI Moog D clone available on the market..
Old 14th March 2017

🎧 5 years
Uli, have you thought yet about a Prophet 5 clone?
Old 14th March 2017
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Behringer ➡️

Depending on the feedback we will then decide if we move further and build a first prototype.

Uli
Go ahead!!! feedback? LOL...ultra-giga-mega-positive!!
great times for analog renaissance!!
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
a replica with surface mount technology ?

Some people seem to think a replica with smt will sound bad. I don't know about you guys but this thing (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xiV7lzYuM8I) which is a replica done with smt sounds pretty good ! I guess it's ok because they use the expensive smt, as the price will be expensive ...
If I have to take the generic medication for money reasons, I guess I can buy an inexpensive replica if the sound is good. But then again I'm a hobyist musician, i.e I don't make money from music. And I dont think I'm alone in that market.
Deleted b598644
Quote:

Why is that?
Because Moog, apparently, is holy
Old 14th March 2017
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Nothing wrong with SMT, ever listen to Verbos modules, they are all class in the sound dept and all SMT.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatB ➡️
Some people seem to think a replica with smt will sound bad. I don't know about you guys but this thing (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xiV7lzYuM8I) which is a replica done with smt sounds pretty good ! I guess it's ok because they use the expensive smt, as the price will be expensive ...
If I have to take the generic medication for money reasons, I guess I can buy an inexpensive replica if the sound is good. But then again I'm a hobyist musician, i.e I don't make money from music. And I dont think I'm alone in that market.
Or this one

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Why is that?
Its not like they did a clone of Deepmind 12 if you dont understand the difference. I dont a problem with Behringer doing things not currently in production.

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Why is that?
People saying that are ignoring the fact that the bulk of Moogs products from the past 15 years are new designs, like the Voyager, the Phatty series, the Moog guitar,the MP 201,some of the MoogerFoogers, minifoogers and the apps like animoog.

Last edited by Acid Mitch; 14th March 2017 at 02:13 PM..

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz ➡️
and people are supposedly tired of clones yet there isn't one single MINI Moog D clone available on the market..
It's not so much that there is a specific Model D clone, but there has been a long history of other manufacturers trying to give us the Moog sound so there's already a lot of options that will get you in the ball park, if you don't want an actual Moog.
We could be here all day naming all the synths that have Moog style filters (hardware and software) or presets aimed at sounding like a Moog.
Old 14th March 2017

🎧 10 years
@ uli :

Great idea! However putting it out in the eurorack format without a whole bunch of modulation patch points is just plain daft!

Also paraphony like on the Sub 37 would be great!

I´d easily pay 100usd more if it had a bunch of patch points!

And for the love of the synth gods, please bolt patch points and pots and switches to the front panel. And use normal toggle switches to make the synth last 3 years at least!
Old 14th March 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I want to like this idea, but I've got to wonder if talking one of the most iconic synths of all time is really the best move for their second synth. During the 2000's analog revival, Korg's second analog was some variation on the Monotron, charitably described by one forum member as "a cheap piece of toast with sparks flying about."

I was excited about the DM12 until more demos started coming out, and the strange muffled tone became more apparent. It was there when I played it in person, even when I stripped out unison detune, opened the filter, tried different patches. Sometimes it's about the science and circuits, sometimes it's about the mojo. They may have the schematics, but we'll have to see if they can capture the magic.
Old 14th March 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I think we need some perspective here:

In the 'good old days' many the great and classic synths were way too affordable for ordinary mortals, they were for professional musicians/studios/collectors and even now, due to age and rarity they are still pretty expensive...YES I know we can all save up and buy an ARP 2600 for $6-7,000, BUT it will need maintaining and although its 'affordable' in a way its a lot of wedge for something that will be getting older and parts difficult to get etc, like an old car. So we are seeing with technological advances and globalisation the ability to make 'clones' of these amazing machines at a much lower price, and bringing them within the grasp of the great unwashed. It doesn't really affect anything. For people with large budgets, they can still buy the 'real' thing and enjoy owning that, for the rest ,some potentially amazing gear is now affordable. People are getting their panties in a knot about nothing really, it happens in EVER SINGLE OTHER INDUSTRY... and as pointed out guitarists don;t grumble about clones of their favourite guitars, they just buy another weird pedal and get playing.... we should be doing the same ....

I celebrate the idea that maybe one...one day i could actually own something that is almost an ARP 2600..... wow who would have thunk it!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogsy ➡️
I want to like this idea, but I've got to wonder if talking one of the most iconic synths of all time is really the best move for their second synth. During the 2000's analog revival, Korg's second analog was some variation on the Monotron, charitably described by one forum member as "a cheap piece of toast with sparks flying about."

I was excited about the DM12 until more demos started coming out, and the strange muffled tone became more apparent. It was there when I played it in person, even when I stripped out unison detune, opened the filter, tried different patches. Sometimes it's about the science and circuits, sometimes it's about the mojo. They may have the schematics, but we'll have to see if they can capture the magic.
muffled!!! Not mine, mine has treble that cuts through anything in fact I often have to try and curb the high frequencies, then again I do have hyperacusis and can hear into pretty high frequency range
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hearteh ➡️
Its not like they did a clone of Deepmind 12 if you dont understand the difference. I dont a problem with Behringer doing things not currently in production.
Its not like Behringer is doing a clone of their Model D either. He is doing a desktop/eurorack version with additional features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch ➡️
People saying that are ignoring the fact that the bulk of Moogs products from the past 15 years are new designs, like the Voyager, the Phatty series, the Moog guitar,the MP 201,some of the MoogerFoogers, minifoogers and the apps like animoog.
Yah sorry, it was a tongue in cheek remark. I am a fan of Animoog, Wish it would be available in hardware with touchplates like a Buchla. Still all hardware synths of Moog are mono with ladder filter. Its their thing i know, but still some more diversity would be good.
Old 14th March 2017
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Uli, since this circuit is public domain, I hope you will consider doing a PCB with nice labeling and solder pads or pinheaders on key patch points for DIY enthusiasts to wire in extra CV i/o!
I think this simple gesture would turn heads in DIY community, and ultimately benefit Behringer's public profile.
Old 15th March 2017

🎧 10 years
Behringer cannot buy publicity like this, thanks GearSlutz!
Old 15th March 2017 | Show parent
Quote:
Its not like Behringer is doing a clone of their Model D either. He is doing a desktop/eurorack version with additional features.

Yah sorry, it was a tongue in cheek remark. I am a fan of Animoog, Wish it would be available in hardware with touchplates like a Buchla. Still all hardware synths of Moog are mono with ladder filter. Its their thing i know, but still some more diversity would be good.
Animoog is insane. Half the time I can't be bothered to turn on my gear when I can go somewhere outdoors and get lost in that app for hours.

Behringer please make a programmable touch plate that is water/weather resistant.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch ➡️
It's not so much that there is a specific Model D clone, but there has been a long history of other manufacturers trying to give us the Moog sound so there's already a lot of options that will get you in the ball park, if you don't want an actual Moog.
Lotsa people say that but if you can find me an alternative that has the Moog sound with at least 2 VCOs for $500 I'll buy it and vote for Behringer to not do it. I would prefer to buy a Moog, I'd even possibly take a Sub37 before a model D (personal reasons) but even the Sub37 is too expensive for me. It doesn't even have to be a Moog replica. A Studio Electronic, MacBeth, DotCom, or similar replica for $500 and Im happy !

I would love and appreciate the workmanship, believe me, but it's the sound first ... Oh and I dont want a VST, dont want to have to log around my PC, and want the 1 button per function (ideally).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330128 ➡️
Animoog is insane. Half the time I can't be bothered to turn on my gear when I can go somewhere outdoors and get lost in that app for hours.

Behringer please make a programmable touch plate that is water/weather resistant.
Animoog and iMS-20 are bar none my favorite music apps of all time. They ruined me for anything else.

On topic - I'd prefer they give new ideas, rather than take the work of others.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatB ➡️
A Studio Electronic, MacBeth, DotCom, or similar replica for $500 and Im happy !
Studio Electronics SE-1 - Πλήκτρα & Synths

Almost..
Closed