The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer Mini model D? A good idea?
Old 3rd March 2017 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone ➡️
How do you know I don't?

And in all honesty, you're OK with their past?

I guess we have different standards...
you're singling out one company, I want to know why that's all..?

the Mackie mixers and pedals etc had no effect on the industry as Syn303 said, so why are you singling one company out when multiple others do it weekly..?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabar ➡️
don't pretend big B is unique in this endeavor in our modern capitalistic globalism. we're talking silly synths for (fat) (white) (men), not stuff that really matters to the world on the whole.
I guess I'm a hopeless romantic and optimist...

< removed by moderator >

Last edited by Reptil; 6th March 2017 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: edit
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabar ➡️
don't pretend big B is unique in this endeavor in our modern capitalistic globalism. we're talking silly synths for (fat) (white) (men), not stuff that really matters to the world on the whole.
shhhh don't tell him that, he'll come down from his pedestal..
Old 3rd March 2017
Deleted 7f2cf6c
I believe in order to have presets it WILL negatively affect the sound. I don't think you can have all analog everything you might need digital envelopes or something. Maybe someone that knows will answer, but there has gotta be a reason why most all analog mono's don't have presets.
Old 3rd March 2017
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
I'm not interested in presets on an analog synth personally, the whole idea is to get making your own as fast as possible, look at the Mother 32..
Old 3rd March 2017
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years

I hear the mailing list for this is quite large..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 13e7993 ➡️
That sounds disgusting.
This.

Do something innovative instead. New and improved ways of interacting with existing synths, unique instruments and products that even the snobbiest of snobs would buy because nobody else has it.

A Behringer Model D is the ultimate in poor taste. It might as well come with a Von Dutch trucker hat and reek of West Coast Coolers.
Old 3rd March 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
No. Just no. I hope they do something new and something of their own and not some sort of clone or clone on steroids or whatever. I hope they do something original.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
That sounds disgusting.
I agree. But he (Uli Behringer) said this:

'Frankly, I never understood why someone would charge you US$ 4,000 for a MiniMoog, when the components just cost around US$ 200.'

That's quite a bold thing to say. It would be a big F-U to the great folks at Moog to bring out a 50 - 100 dollar Behringer Model D.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
That sounds disgusting.
Yes that sounds disgusting, tacky, and in bad taste. They would create enemies. There are things they could do to improve upon the DM-12.
Old 3rd March 2017
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
So the model is not to be copied but everything else is fine..?? you guys are funny..

I would buy one in a heartbeat and get making tunes with it, there are better things to get angry about, once mixed into a song what do people care what instrument was used, unless you are only here to parade your 'real' instruments in studio shots then who cares..
Old 3rd March 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Really if anyone knows how to copy it would be Behringer. They should be able to make the Best clone of the Model D and for just over $250 .The big man himself said only $200 parts plus his labour .

Last edited by Mcnulty; 3rd March 2017 at 04:04 AM.. Reason: spelin
Old 3rd March 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I doubt they would do that. They might start with a classic synth as a starting point but then do their own spin on it with added features, like how the Juno 106 idea morphed into Deepmind
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallery7 ➡️
I doubt they would do that. They might start with a classic synth as a starting point but then do their own spin on it with added features, like how the Juno 106 idea morphed into Deepmind
I wouldn't preclude them from doing anything. Nothing is out of the realm of being taken advantage of, or to exploit, or to purposely rile. If anything, if the head honcho's signature proudly states 'Chief Disruptor', you realize anything is fair game to them.

If I had to put my Negrodamus hat on, I'd venture to guess they'd take on the Eurorack modular format. Plenty of fish in the pond to sway, endless source of designs to ripoff...

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdafunk ➡️

'Frankly, I never understood why someone would charge you US$ 4,000 for a MiniMoog, when the components just cost around US$ 200.'
That would be like going back to the rip-off "design" days of Behringer. I'd hope that after the X32 and DM12, the company would be more innovative with some blue-sky thinking.

Who'd want to be a synth engineer if Uli just rocked up to your desk and said "I want an exact Minimoog clone for $750 retail; do it"?
Old 3rd March 2017
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
I think a model D clone for cheap would only strengthen the pride and gap between those who owned an original and a cheaper one, think about it, those with the real thing will always boast they have the real thing and that will encourage others to also try and get in that group, imagine all the audio comparisons..the rest of us who cannot afford 5 thousand dollars can do as we please.

Why do people care if others can't afford 5k but can afford $300 ..why..??

What would be funny would be if a Behringer clone sounded better or as good..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz ➡️
I think a model D clone for cheap would only strengthen the pride and gap between those who owned an original and a cheaper one, think about it, those with the real thing will always boast they have the real thing and that will encourage others to also try and get in that group, imagine all the audio comparisons..the rest of us who cannot afford 5 thousand dollars can do as we please.

Why do people care if others can't afford 5k but can afford $300 ..why..??

What would be funny would be if a Behringer clone sounded better or as good..
Totally agree and good points.
Sounds like those that can afford the Model D, want to deny us that cannot a similar synth. Sounds like snobbery at its worst.

Here in the UK a Model D retails at approx £3369.00 if Behringer pop out a similar synth at £500 guess which Im going for especially if its a desktop, which in itself makes it different from the model D.
Deleted User
y'all just need to petition sonic core into making the minimax asb desktop synth again. that was last decent minimoog type desktop synth.

Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goony ➡️
Totally agree and good points.
Sounds like those that can afford the Model D, want to deny us that cannot a similar synth. Sounds like snobbery at its worst.

Here in the UK a Model D retails at approx £3369.00 if Behringer pop out a similar synth at £500 guess which Im going for especially if its a desktop, which in itself makes it different from the model D.
yeah especially if it's desktop module, how does it even impinge on the real thing at all, it being a 3 octave keyboard/synth..?
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 ➡️
y'all just need to petition sonic core into making the minimax asb desktop synth again. that was last decent minimoog type desktop synth.

No mate, get Soundforce to make a keyboard controller ala their current model d midi desktop and bang Monark or the legend in, they sound so much better than the creamware.
Old 3rd March 2017
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Look as I said earlier I don't think a cheap Model D desktop clone would have any impact on Moog the brand or people who want to pay that money for a Moog, people will always support brands they align themselves with. Tbh I don't believe half of what these manufactures say about making these things by hand, in fact I'm almost sure most are machine made and there is just some light final assembly and testing, they call this being hand made and people fall over themselves to spend wild amounts of money because they believe it was 'hand made'.. a mate of mine actually has a Mini and took some pics of the pcb and claims most of the innards are machine made...I'm not that tech savy but these are the pics of his Mini he sent me..
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer Mini model D? A good idea?-img_0244.jpg   Behringer Mini model D? A good idea?-img_0245.jpg  
Old 3rd March 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I agree with people who say make something original and innovative. At least we would have a few hundred pages less in the posts comparing it and arguing what its based on.
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro ➡️
No mate, get Soundforce to make a keyboard controller ala their current model d midi desktop and bang Monark or the legend in, they sound so much better than the creamware.
nah! soundforce's controllers are nice, but some folk don't want to be tied to a computer. if i wanted that i would ask Uli to make a Behrlight C.M.I.
Old 3rd March 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Behringer Model 3

3VCO, SEM type filter, 2 LFO w delay, 2 ADSR loopable, paraphonic, 2FX, Arp, Seq, Mod Matrix,
3 1/2 oct kb. $399
Desk/Rack module $299

There, no more ethical conflicts.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
great folks at Moog
Are they ?
Yes - since Bob Moog died, they made some cool gear (Sub37 my favorite), but the Reissue is just milking the old legend - not a lot of innovation there, with proper schematic and a source for parts a young tech student would do the same and maybe add some more features.
Also Moog prices were always a bit "we are shafting the customer, because we are the great Moog".
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 ➡️
nah! soundforce's controllers are nice, but some folk don't want to be tied to a computer. if i wanted that i would ask Uli to make a Behrlight C.M.I.
i get that and neither do i personally but i think its a better prop than the creamware, now if somebody could get those legend/monark engines transported into a piece of hardware......
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallery7 ➡️
Agree..Build their own Classic based Super Mono synth at a$1000-$1500 price point.

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz ➡️
Look as I said earlier I don't think a cheap Model D desktop clone would have any impact on Moog the brand or people who want to pay that money for a Moog, people will always support brands they align themselves with. Tbh I don't believe half of what these manufactures say about making these things by hand, in fact I'm almost sure most are machine made and there is just some light final assembly and testing, they call this being hand made and people fall over themselves to spend wild amounts of money because they believe it was 'hand made'.. a mate of mine actually has a Mini and took some pics of the pcb and claims most of the innards are machine made...I'm not that tech savy but these are the pics of his Mini he sent me..

You're being awfully pedantic about this. I know it'd be hard since you're in Australia, but I'd suggest actually going and seeing the Moog factory. No, they're not whipping up PCBs by hand, but there is an American assembling and testing these by hand, which I can support.

Same thing with DSI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt ➡️
Are they ?
Yes - since Bob Moog died, they made some cool gear (Sub37 my favorite), but the Reissue is just milking the old legend - not a lot of innovation there, with proper schematic and a source for parts a young tech student would do the same and maybe add some more features.
Also Moog prices were always a bit "we are shafting the customer, because we are the great Moog".
There are two ways of looking at re-issues - either it's giving customers what they want, which seems to be working - or it's 'milking an old legend'. They've come out with some cool stuff - I really like the Sub Phatty, the Mother-32 is a really fun way to get your feet wet in semi modular, and the AniMoog app is really fun.

It's always been a boutique company. And, it's partially employee owned, so I am totally cool with that.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

That's quite a bold thing to say. It would be a big F-U to the great folks at Moog to bring out a 50 - 100 dollar Behringer Model D.
People are really ungrounded when it comes to the costs of product design and actually releasing one. Behringer won't get anywhere near $50, $200, or $500 because they want to not lose money.

Uli is definitely feeding into the myth with marketing statements like those, which is a bit off putting. He's telling people what they want to hear and not making promises he intends on keeping.

That's pretty trashy.
Old 3rd March 2017

🎧 5 years
Agreed.

Mods, can we fold this thread into the "What synths should Uli make next" thread?
Closed