The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer Mini model D? A good idea?
Old 28th April 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goony ➑️
Looks and reads like you have already judged...
Looks and reads like I do have an opinion on it as I've posted a few times already, but I'm reserving final judgement.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted b598644 ➑️
which means you can't make music with it?
Well you can make music with 2 sticks and a tin can, but is that the music you want to make?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrane ➑️
Behringer says a Minimoog is only $200 in parts
Only the electronic insides.
Not the wooden/metal case, not the keyboard, not the UI plate, not the knobs.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood ➑️
Looks and reads like I do have an opinion on it as I've posted a few times already, but I'm reserving final judgement.
Ah I see backtracking eh, covering your back. Get ready for a fall...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
But its pretty clear this falls well short of that.

See you passed judgement already.....
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
STAHP!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ah I see backtracking eh, covering your back. Get ready for a fall...
Quote:
Originally Posted by goony
See you passed judgement already.....
I stated....

"As with anything I'll reserve final judgement until I can hear it in the flesh. But as of now it seems to lack the lush, the wet, the cream, present in the Moog sound."

...and I'm standing by what I said. I'm not backtracking anything. I simply don't have enough information to pass final judgement at this time. My current view is that I'm unimpressed and hear nothing in this to encourage me to buy it, especially given what I already own. Simple as that and easy peasy.

Now why is it you care so much that I don't share your view? Where I come from it's ok to have a different opinion.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I stated....

"As with anything I'll reserve final judgement until I can hear it in the flesh. But as of now it seems to lack the lush, the wet, the cream, present in the Moog sound."

...and I'm standing by what I said. I'm not backtracking anything. I simply don't have enough information to pass final judgement at this time. My current view is that I'm unimpressed and hear nothing in this to encourage me to buy it, especially given what I already own. Simple as that and easy peasy.

Now why is it you care so much that I don't share your view? Where I come from it's ok to have a different opinion.
Did you forget this then.

"Originally Posted by marcgood
But its pretty clear this falls well short of that."

🎧 10 years
Quote:
But as of now it seems to lack the lush, the wet, the cream, present in the Moog sound.
Are we talking about synthesizers or soy lattes?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous ➑️
Sounds like a couple of Volca Basses stacked together, which is fine with me actually.

Not such a bad thing.

It would of been cool if the sections were seperate/interchangeable modules though. I wonder how much more that would of cost to make.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Did you forget this then.

"Originally Posted by marcgood
But its pretty clear this falls well short of that."
Are you daft?

Yes I said that and yes it does. Most people here seem to agree this does NOT sound like a Moog D. It falls WELL short of what Uli said it would do, which is sound like a Moog D.

Now if you continue to rewind the tape you will also see I noted that this was a prototype and it seems obvious that there is more work to do on it. I then stated that its still possible that he can get it to sound better. I then reiterated that in this current state it falls short.

At no time has my opinion changed or wavered.

It is not there now, it is not there yet.

Care to try again? And what is the purpose of this? Are you trying to say something here or are you just being petty?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by APHELEON ➑️
Are we talking about synthesizers or soy lattes?
I prefer condensed milk or heavy cream. I like it thick, like my synths and women.

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Are you daft?

Yes I said that and yes it does. Most people here seem to agree this does NOT sound like a Moog D. It falls WELL short of what Uli said it would do, which is sound like a Moog D.

Now if you continue to rewind the tape you will also see I noted that this was a prototype and it seems obvious that there is more work to do on it. I then stated that its still possible that he can get it to sound better. I then reiterated that in this current state it falls short.

Care to try again? And what is the purpose of this? Are you trying to say something here or are you just being petty?
Actually , the very few people who have played it in person and who have stated on a youtube vid or over at muffwigglers have said it already sounds pretty close to a minimoog already. I think it will be damn close when the product is actually finished
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Are you daft?

You seem confused about stating opinion and passing judgement, which you have done both, and there you are again passing judgement on other people here.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You seem confused about stating opinion and passing judgement, which you have done both, and there you are again passing judgement on other people here.
So I'm conversing with someone who lacks the concept of final judgement. Got it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bone ➑️
Actually , the very few people who have played it in person and who have stated on a youtube vid or over at muffwigglers have said it already sounds pretty close to a minimoog already. I think it will be damn close when the product is actually finished
Yes I seen and heard other people that have heard it in the flesh all say that.. Its going to be a good little synth module, once its fully finalised.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
So I'm conversing with someone who lacks the concept of final judgement. Got it.
Ah I see I'm conversing with someone, that lacks the ability to differentiate between judgement and opinion.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bone ➑️
...I think it will be damn close when the product is actually finished
As I stated pages ago, there is room for them to tweak this into being what Uli claimed since this is just a prototype.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ah I see I'm conversing with someone, that lacks the ability to differentiate between judgement and opinion.
So you really are this dense. Got it. Do us both a favor and stop following me around this thread like a love starved girl. You are making me uncomfortable.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
So you really are this dense. Got it. Do us both a favor and stop following me around this thread like a love starved girl. You are making me uncomfortable.
Or maybe you leave the thread completely. There you go, passing judgement again. Considering I started the thread, its more that your following me about....
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrane ➑️
Behringer says a Minimoog is only $200 in parts but costs $4000 to buy, in other words, the cost of goods is a scant 5% of the retail cost.

He claimed he could make the EXACT SAME sounding product for a fraction of the cost, because he wasn't greedy or inefficient like Moog Music.
I think Behringer said $200 in electronic parts ... there must be at least $1000 of keyboard and $1500 of wood to explain the price ))

By the way you dont seem to agree that the minimoog is a simple design ... I think the sound is outstanding, but given no modern midi implementation and limited modulation possibilities, I for one would think a Sub37 for example must be a LOT more complex in terms of electronics and design. Maybe a MM is harder to make to repeat the sound but the plans of the internal circuits have to be simpler. Complexity does not equal value, but come on, it has to be simpler.
Old 28th April 2017
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Ok as none of those that were at Superbooth and have personally tried this synth prototype out yet have responded to my question. Also Behringer officially is fairly silent on this question. I will assume that the prototype as it is currently does not sound similar to a Minimoog compared to the current offerings from AJH. So I'm expecting further improvements from Behringer to get this in the sonic state that we are hoping for. Best of luck with that to all concerned. Having built a few classic synth clones myself I throughly understand that these things take time and modern tolerances/build methods take one sometimes away from where the original design ended up as being. This explains why Moog Music decided upon the path they took when re-releasing the Minimoog. Note this is not an issue of through hole verses smt. An oft quoted inaccurate statement about why older tech sounds better. But more of the tolarences and wider percentage differences in accuracy between older produced components and modern ones.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Or maybe you leave the thread completely. There you go, passing judgement again. Considering I started the thread, its more that your following me about....
You do not own the thread. We are free to share our opinions. If you do not like mine then leave me alone. Only one person here is seeking out the other, and it ain't me. I reiterate....

Do us both a favor and stop following me around this thread like a love starved girl. You are making me uncomfortable.

Really I'm not that into you.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
If it makes you feel better goony is not alone, I agree with him. If you judge someone or something and then say but Ill wait for final judgement, it doesnt cancel the first one. Are you the type of person that say stuff like "Dont take that personally but you are ugly and dumb" ? Same thing, the first part does not negate the second ...
P.S Oh and yes everybody can have and share their opinions, which should include the originator of the thread
Old 29th April 2017

🎧 5 years
I can't resist the hilarious innuendos going on.

Behringer is giving us the D for cheap.
@ marcgood says he likes his D to be thick and creamy and wet, while @ goony is reserving any judgment until he gets the D in the flesh, but he saw a preview he liked.

Thick and creamy for cheap? You might get an infection that way...

I'd prefer my D to be both sterile with the option for thick cream if I decide I want that.

LMAO.

Last edited by Discopotato; 29th April 2017 at 12:14 AM.. Reason: Wrong names.
Old 29th April 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatB ➑️
If it makes you feel better goony is not alone, I agree with him. If you judge someone or something and then say but Ill wait for final judgement, it doesnt cancel the first one. Are you the type of person that say stuff like "Dont take that personally but you are ugly and dumb" ? Same thing, the first part does not negate the second ...
P.S Oh and yes everybody can have and share their opinions, which should include the originator of the thread
You agree? How nice. But pay attention here.

We pass initial judgement all of the time, which is then subject to final judgement later.

Example, ever see a hot girl and thought she was the one for you? Then you go out on a couple of dates and notice she has a habit or quirk that turns you off, which then changes your opinion. Initial judgement/final judgement.

Example 2, you see a nice car you think you'll buy but after a test drive you change your mind. Initial judgement/final judgement.

In this case I do not like what I hear, but that could change upon final release. Do you get it now?
Quote:
If Uli produced something here that exceeded or even matched the sound you'd have a point. But its pretty clear this falls well short of that.

For points of reference enjoy some Moog sound:

Great stuff!
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
You agree? How nice. But pay attention here.

We pass initial judgement all of the time, which is then subject to final judgement later.

Example, ever see a hot girl and thought she was the one for you? Then you go out on a couple of dates and notice she has a habit or quirk that turns you off, which then changes your opinion. Initial judgement/final judgement.

Example 2, you see a nice car you think you'll buy but after a test drive you change your mind. Initial judgement/final judgement.

In this case I do not like what I hear, but that could change upon final release. Do you get it now?
Oh I get it dont worry. Im just not convinced you are done judging when you say "final judgement". Please make me wrong and and stop judging after saying "final judgement", and say it in 2017. ))
Another fine performance.

Old 29th April 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Closed