Quantcast
What synths should Behringer make next? POLL & Speculation Thread - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What synths should Behringer make next? POLL & Speculation Thread
View Poll Results: Vote for the synths you want Behringer to make
SH 101
119 Votes - 8.53%
SH 202
26 Votes - 1.86%
TB 303
99 Votes - 7.10%
Jupiter 8
498 Votes - 35.70%
Jupiter 6
113 Votes - 8.10%
Jupiter 4
141 Votes - 10.11%
OB-X
184 Votes - 13.19%
OB-XA
271 Votes - 19.43%
VCS-3
196 Votes - 14.05%
Synthi A
161 Votes - 11.54%
Polykobol
105 Votes - 7.53%
Polivoks
78 Votes - 5.59%
Mini korg 700s
58 Votes - 4.16%
Oberheim 4 voice
99 Votes - 7.10%
CS-80
390 Votes - 27.96%
PPG wave
169 Votes - 12.11%
Memory Moog
180 Votes - 12.90%
Prophet 5
261 Votes - 18.71%
Buchla easel
159 Votes - 11.40%
Voyetra 8
80 Votes - 5.73%
VP-330
65 Votes - 4.66%
Arp Quadra
90 Votes - 6.45%
Arp Chroma
70 Votes - 5.02%
Arp 2600
321 Votes - 23.01%
Arp sequencer
53 Votes - 3.80%
Synclavier
84 Votes - 6.02%
Wasp
76 Votes - 5.45%
SH1
25 Votes - 1.79%
SH7
62 Votes - 4.44%
SH5
105 Votes - 7.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1395. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28th February 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Uli:
"What would you like to order sir?"

Me:
Mid range FM-synth with intuitive knobby interface, 5-octaves. please!
A Modern DX7 if you like, with effects, multitimbrality, and high polyphony.
Old 28th February 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Following the comments from Uli Behringer, and as an avid Kontakt user / abuser, it would be interesting to see these new digital instrument developments take the form of sample-mangling in hardware form...

Imagine a synth that can load samples (edited on computer, I'm no masochist), and then control the synthesis / DSP parameters on the front panel while playing live or performing in the studio.

Analogue filters and analogue effects would be nice to dirty-up the samples, and digital processing like granular synthesis too, but all key parameters controlled from dedicated knobs on the panel for instant tweakability.

Matrix modulation options would be welcome, so that the LFOs, ADSRs, keyboard, and other sources can be routed to any destination parameters

The one-knob-per-function element (as far as it can be taken) allows the hardware to become an 'instrument' that can be learned and controlled with virtuosity. If knob #8 is sometimes a filter cut-off, but in another patch is a loop length control, the instrument feels more like a device than an extension of the performer / sound designer. It's this aspect that is putting me off the Yamaha Montage: I love the idea of the FM-X engine, but the menu-driven programming just seems too distracting and too much like work rather than fun to me, even compared to the DX-7.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Ooh - how about an analogue, multi-timbral 8-track sequencer-synth?

With the option for either real-time sequences or step-based patterns, with polymetric and phase-shifting options between voice/parts..

What would make this special would be that it is very knoby and hands-on compared to current offerings. Like a new take on the MC-202 (and with more voices...).
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Behringer ➑️
Many people have asked us to revive synth jewels from the past and make them affordable so everyone can own one. This very much resonates with me because when I was a kid, I spent hours in stores playing and admiring those synths - however I couldn't afford them which was tremendously frustrating.
Frankly, I never understood why someone would charge you US$ 4,000 for a MiniMoog, when the components just cost around US$ 200.

Uli
hahah I love it, you'll really agitate a few with kind of talk...so true too..
Old 1st March 2017
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
A Fairlight CMI!
collectable to a iPad, Android, PC, Mac, just for a optional visual interface like the old Roland S series samplers.
With sampling
With additive synthesis.
and a white keyboard.
Old 1st March 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Speaking of Axel Hartmann, how about something like this?

Old 1st March 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
deleted by user
Old 1st March 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Synths in Kit form...
Old 1st March 2017
haj
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Please make ARP2600! (eurorack size) I don't think Korg will ever make it, so!
Old 1st March 2017
A modular keyboard like the ARP 3620 or Moog 953 with:

Split function with seperate CV and MIDI out for each half of the keyboard
Vermona qMI style in/out and function
Rechargeable battery you can replace
Wood or vinyl, no EDM future keyboard full of ****ty pads, knobs and sliders.. just the basics.
a compartment underneath for storing patch cables/calibration tools
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmd ➑️
Or you know, it might have something to do with paying American workers a living wage for hand assembled synthesizers made an manufactured in the US.

nothing wrong with that, they have the right to do as they please and sell to whom will want those pieces, but if someone wants to come along and offer us cheaper gear that sounds great then why shouldn't they..

These are great times for all us, mind you synth nerds are weird, you give them what they want and they will still moan..lol
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz ➑️
if someone wants to come along and offer us cheaper gear that sounds great then why shouldn't they..
Sure, but the key phrase is "that sounds great." You get what you pay for. The DM12 sounds good, but that's okay because that's reflected in the price.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazmatic ➑️
Sure, but the key phrase is "that sounds great." You get what you pay for. The DM12 sounds good, but that's okay because that's reflected in the price.
Honestly it sounds better than great, I'll tell you the magic of this synth is when you start mixing your tracks, this synth just sits so well in a mix you hardly have to do any processing, it has just the right amount of thinness V fatness to not overtake a mix, or sound too weak..

I'm learning this all week as I complete track 3 of an ep I'm doing just using the Deepmind, when you really sit down with it it's so pleasing to be able get your ideas down fast and not be annoyed by how it sits in a mix spectrum..

I cannot believe how authentic a TR909 kick I was able to make, 808 snare was hard and crash cymbal I have all but given up on but everything else I was 100% happy with, oh haven't tried any acid lines with it yet, but that will come later..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz ➑️
Honestly it sounds better than great, I'll tell you the magic of this synth is when you start mixing your tracks, this synth just sits so well in a mix you hardly have to do any processing, it has just the right amount of thinness V fatness to not overtake a mix, or sound too weak..

I'm learning this all week as I complete track 3 of an ep I'm doing just using the Deepmind, when you really sit down with it it's so pleasing to be able get your ideas down fast and not be annoyed by how it sits in a mix spectrum..

I cannot believe how authentic a TR909 kick I was able to make, 808 snare was hard and crash cymbal I have all but given up on but everything else I was 100% happy with, oh haven't tried any acid lines with it yet, but that will come later..
Very cool. Let's hear it!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would definitely be in for an OBXa inspired poly . 12 voices , 3/4 lfo's, sub oscillator and features from the Deepmind like the effects section . The OBXa was one of my all time favourite polys but way out of my price range. I had to settle for a Matrix 6 when that came out in 85/86 but it was not the same. Imagine a 12 voice OBX.... In unison.

I'm all for something totally new as well. Digital, FM, granular, PCM, Sample playback...the more the better.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh ➑️
Very cool. Let's hear it!
I've completed 3 tracks of the 5 and I'm really happy with all 3 so far, my problem now is I'm back to work tonight for the next 6 days, so squeezing another two out is going to be rough, I won't force it, the 3 I have down came really fluidly and were not rushed..

Doing this once again proves to me that with one quality analog poly synth and a computer, you can make all the music and sounds your mind can come up with, any sounds you can't synthesize you simply sample and move on..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmd ➑️
Or you know, it might have something to do with paying American workers a living wage for hand assembled synthesizers made an manufactured in the US.

...plus a huge profit margin...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazmatic ➑️
In this case, I feel you get more than you pay for. I think DM12 sounds great. I prefer its sound to DSI synths that cost almost three times more.
Old 1st March 2017
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
I've always though most Moog synths are over priced, i sometimes wonder if most of their synths are machine made and there is a few staff that just sit and put them together, like final assembly which is quite simple apparently. Nothing so magical that we have to pay thousands of dollars for that's for sure. I'd love to see Behringer do a few Moog type synths, I can never afford those exorbitant prices.

Uli what could you do a Moog style synth for..?
Old 1st March 2017
Deleted 60622ed
Id love a dx7 with knobs and sliders...Ive just dipped my toe into FM and I think all my other synths are going on ebay now lol
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 60622ed ➑️
Id love a dx7 with knobs and sliders...Ive just dipped my toe into FM and I think all my other synths are going on ebay now lol
You have done what we call a "late 80s"

Time to put your analog synths in a dumpster
Old 1st March 2017
Gear Addict

a deepmind with a color touch screen that is multi-timbral
Old 1st March 2017
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
I can't wait to see what they have up their sleeve, finally we will all be able to have access to great sounding gear, Behringer is going to be the great leveler in electronic music gear.. Imagine a Model D clone for a fraction of the cost, or an Oberheim, loads of modular gear etc, gas will be through the roof but this time we might all be able to afford it..

bring it on I say
Deleted 60622ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh ➑️
You have done what we call a "late 80s"

Time to put your analog synths in a dumpster
Lol

I would if it wasnt full of dead hookers!

Im on fleabay now!
Old 1st March 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Model B should be their next synth.
A $500 Model D re-work would make huge waves. Me, i'd go SEM type mono, but A MiniUli makes sense. Pull the curtain back, and show what the Wizard is realy all about.
Old 1st March 2017
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Here's a challenge for you Uli - recreate the sp1200 for $500
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwolf ➑️
Here's a challenge for you Uli - recreate the sp1200 for $500
Polyphony - 8 voice
Sampler - 26.040 kHz, 12 bit sampling; 4 2.5 second blocks (10 seconds); 256 KB memory
Patterns - 100
Songs - 100
Keyboard - 8 Touch Pads
Memory - 32 patches
Control - MIDI, SMPTE

$249 sounds about right.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hello everyone, please allow me to chime in.

Since the introduction ...........snip............. and the purpose why we exist.

Thank you for all the fantastic support!

Uli
I'm curious about the 20 plus engineers..... That's a small army. Sounds like your going for the jugular. Am I right in thinking that several projects will be happening at the same time ? I'm also curious to see if that Odyssey inspired synth with memories and effects for $500 is still in the mix..... But No. 1 for me is an Oberheim OBXa reworking..... take my funds now.

Last edited by Reptil; 12th March 2017 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: quote trimmed down
Old 1st March 2017
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Please make a classic poly copy as authentically as possible without worrying too much about the cost. CS80, Jupiter 8... the ones people want the most
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

....when I was a kid, I spent hours in stores playing and admiring those synths - however I couldn't afford them which was tremendously frustrating. .....

Make the synths you lusted after as a kid, but couldn't afford.
πŸ“ Reply