The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What synths should Behringer make next? POLL & Speculation Thread
View Poll Results: Vote for the synths you want Behringer to make
SH 101
123 Votes - 8.53%
SH 202
27 Votes - 1.87%
TB 303
101 Votes - 7.00%
Jupiter 8
514 Votes - 35.64%
Jupiter 6
118 Votes - 8.18%
Jupiter 4
148 Votes - 10.26%
OB-X
184 Votes - 12.76%
OB-XA
276 Votes - 19.14%
VCS-3
200 Votes - 13.87%
Synthi A
163 Votes - 11.30%
Polykobol
107 Votes - 7.42%
Polivoks
83 Votes - 5.76%
Mini korg 700s
58 Votes - 4.02%
Oberheim 4 voice
103 Votes - 7.14%
CS-80
404 Votes - 28.02%
PPG wave
174 Votes - 12.07%
Memory Moog
182 Votes - 12.62%
Prophet 5
268 Votes - 18.59%
Buchla easel
159 Votes - 11.03%
Voyetra 8
83 Votes - 5.76%
VP-330
66 Votes - 4.58%
Arp Quadra
91 Votes - 6.31%
Arp Chroma
70 Votes - 4.85%
Arp 2600
321 Votes - 22.26%
Arp sequencer
54 Votes - 3.74%
Synclavier
88 Votes - 6.10%
Wasp
77 Votes - 5.34%
SH1
26 Votes - 1.80%
SH7
62 Votes - 4.30%
SH5
107 Votes - 7.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1442. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23rd May 2022 | Show parent
  #8071
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids ➡️
That would depend on the device. Some devices interpret the MIDI input and then re-send those messages out the THRU port, which could add an unknown amount of latency. Digitally interpreted first and then sent to the THRU port. Which means you're at the mercy of the implementation. Some devices are more like the THRU box you mentioned, where it's more like a passive connection.

There's no way to know unless you test it. There's no standard for how to handle MIDI THRU.
This is incorrect.

The MIDI specification includes the hardware layer, and that's where MIDI Thru is defined. A MIDI Thru connector can only pass through the MIDI In signal or it is out of spec. Where MIDI In is read by a processor and then retransmitted, that connector must be labeled as a MIDI Out or it is out of spec.

Have certain products broken the spec and mislabeled a MIDI Out as a MIDI Thru? Perhaps. But that doesn't mean that a legitimate MIDI Thru is delayed by processing. It means they mislabeled a MIDI Out. Specific devices that do this, if they exist, should be chastised for being out of spec.

Here's a copy of the spec:

https://mitxela.com/other/ca33.pdf
Old 23rd May 2022
  #8072
Lives for gear
 
ArtFluids's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I guess the only thing to worry about is jitter then. I can say definitively that if I send 16th notes from my MIDI interface from my Windows PC there is noticeably sloppy timing. Like, to the point where it's almost unusable. You can really hear it, no need to record it first and examine it. And I have a really beefy PC sending the MIDI from a MOTU interface.

But I have an USAMO and that definitely fixes it, at least if I'm only sending one channel of data. If I try to do multi-channel MIDI (or too many polyphonic notes) from the USAMO it seems to choke and I get weird notes. Even if I adjust the trimmer.

I've thought about getting a Mac for music production because I heard that their MIDI priority is way better than it used to be. To the point where an USAMO is no longer necessary. I don't know where I heard that though, I'll have to confirm.

Ideally, a hardware sequencer from Behringer wouldn't have any of those jitter issues.
Old 23rd May 2022 | Show parent
  #8073
Lives for gear
 
kurzweil's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I've never had issues with MIDI timing from PC, but I use an RME PCI card to send the MIDI out rather than USB. Not sure if that makes a difference.
Old 23rd May 2022 | Show parent
  #8074
Lives for gear
 
106 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
How about a top octave based combo organ?
I have a Rheem MKVII but my sister has it.

Nothing like a good powerful combo organ for old school space stuff.

I'd buy that in a hearbeat!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #8075
Gear Maniac
 
I wonder if its possible that their Jupiter clone may not be too far off
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8076
Lives for gear
 
kurzweil's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by your milkshake ➡️
I wonder if its possible that their Jupiter clone may not be too far off
Can't be too far back in the queue of polys..
But after UBXa and Pro-16, Shirley?
Can't imagine we'll see it before this time next year.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #8077
When they failed to give us new updated news on whether the minis will be purchaseable by late June I decided to grab the Skulpt se from a good deal that was floating around.
Synth is great, but the app for it stinks, especially saving patches to the right slot on the app, I lost a lot of sound editing patches that never saved and forget about doing any sequencing on that thing, and would it hurt Modal to have instructions on using the App?
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8078
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerFoote ➡️
How about a top octave based combo organ?
I already asked Uli a few times when he was a member of GS. He said Organs were not really a priority for Behringer. The focus was on synths.

Divide down tech should be easy to replicate these days.

Would have liked to see Behringer remake some classics like the Professional 222, VIP 345 or 400 and the Syntorchestra (the definitive krautrock string synth).
Old 4 weeks ago
  #8079
vlz
Lives for gear
 
vlz's Avatar
He's interested in string machines though, as we've had the VC340. While the divide-down tech is relatively simple, no one does it. The VC340 was the only one in around 30 years.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8080
Lives for gear
 
ArtFluids's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzweil ➡️
I've never had issues with MIDI timing from PC, but I use an RME PCI card to send the MIDI out rather than USB. Not sure if that makes a difference.
I've heard this. That firewire and other protocols are better for MIDI.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8081
Gear Nut
 
The Al1en's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz ➡️
He's interested in string machines though, as we've had the VC340. While the divide-down tech is relatively simple, no one does it. The VC340 was the only one in around 30 years.
If the impressive looking groove synthesis ppg thing hurries on a trend for inspired by, as opposed to mainly clone, for divide down, a 16 note poly Polymoog 203a with poly after touch, in a more manageable format, keeping the lights, push buttons and slider caps, replacing the trad presets with top row bank, bottom row patch, for 25 patches would scratch a long lost itch or two.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8082
Lives for gear
 
106 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz ➡️
He's interested in string machines though, as we've had the VC340. While the divide-down tech is relatively simple, no one does it. The VC340 was the only one in around 30 years.
Yes, I know. That's why I posted about TOD organs, since they already have MIDI control down on the VC340, if I'm not mistaken...
I have a 340 but do not use MIDI any more. Still, the VC340 is unique over all stringers, having MIDI.

Tone wise, nothing can really simulate a good combo organ.
My experience is with transistor organs though, like the Rheem MK VII.
That probably sounds better than the lowly MOSTEK MK50240N Top Octave Divider IC...

Just looked and people are asking between $35 and $55 a pop for 50240s.
Uli probably makes them though under the Cool Audio name?

Maybe he could do a discrete unit like the Rheem, Farfisa etc etc...
Old 4 weeks ago
  #8083
Lives for gear
 
Stephen Bennett's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Not a keyboard, but I'd like to see a digitally controllable analog patchbay with 64 (or more) ins and out. Something like this with passive analog throughputs.

It'd make using all these new synths a damn site easier than physically re-patching.

Stephen
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8084
Lives for gear
 
106 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 ➡️
Divide down tech should be easy to replicate these days.
See, that's my problem...
I have a Nord Electro 4D that has a Farfisa and a Yamaha combo organ DSP engines, but they do not sound or feel like a real Farfisa/Rheem etc..
A little too soft? Or Maybe my Rheem was just different sounding, dunno. I don't want to slag the Electro because it is a magnificent keyboard that I use for Mellotrons and Wurlys.

Had a Yamaha EX5R and it's organs were anemic too.

So, replications are of little use to me on the combo organ front.
I also use a Hammond XK-5 after I had the Electro for a few years.
The XK-5 rocks the tonewheel DSP....

But, Maybe the XK-5 can do some cheezy divider organ trick?
Haven't poked around enough to know for sure...
Old 4 weeks ago
  #8085
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I'd love to know what happened to the Solina. I held off on the VC340 because I thought the Solina was right around the corner.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8086
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerFoote ➡️
Tone wise, nothing can really simulate a good combo organ.
Combo organs like the farfisa's use a squarewave generator (from looking at their circuit diagrams), the tones are just filtered squarewaves.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8087
Lives for gear
 
106 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp ➡️
I'd love to know what happened to the Solina. I held off on the VC340 because I thought the Solina was right around the corner.
The Solina discussion went quiet a while ago, I am wondering if they are still doing it.

I wanted to wait as well, but I bit the bullet and bought the VC340.
I am pretty sure I can layer them to good effect.

My Solina pre-order is still in the works.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #8088
vlz
Lives for gear
 
vlz's Avatar
I think the Solina is pretty much ready, but can't be produced because of parts shortage.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8089
Lives for gear
 
106 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 ➡️
Combo organs like the farfisa's use a squarewave generator (from looking at their circuit diagrams), the tones are just filtered squarewaves.
I know that, ranks of them...
Just saying I can't get the same sounds on DSP machines.

I have also built organs and string machines back in early 80s/late 70s, so I know they are square waves.

But I think what I like are the less accurate qualities of discrete organs, which are also square waves. And to my ears TOG organs don't sound quite as good as discrete. I have no idea why and I would have agreed before more recently that emulation is as good.
It may end up being all the wire and switching that the signal goes through and crosstalk at the keyboard (for diode keyiong) that does "the magic sauce"? That would be very amusing.

But I don't want to debate the technologies... I just use what works for me and do not expect many others would do the same in my situation.

Have a great evening,
Roger
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8090
Lives for gear
 
kreeper_6's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Last info on solina from behringer was the video from last year (2/3/2021). They announced many previously unannounced synths were ready for production in march.

Model 15
2-XM
Proton
Toro

Model D Mini
Saturn Mini
Pro VS Mini

JT-4000 Micro
UB-1 Micro

Edge (Announced Oct. 2021)


These synths have been called "Final Preproduction" or "Final Prototype" and being tested as recent as march/april/may 2022

LMdrum
Wave
VCS 3

Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8091
Gear Maniac
 
xavierbzh's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
News on the WAVE

We’re very excited to share the feedback from Hermann Seib, one of the co-innovators of the original PPG Wave. Hermann was gracious enough to provide incredible support for the development of our Wave synthesizer, which is now in its final stage. We spent over two years of intense development to recreate the sound of this iconic instrument.
Here's what Hermann has to say:
"My first Impressions of the new Blue Machine. I've had the honor and fun to play with the beta of the upcoming Behringer Wave for some time now. Putting it on top of its great-great-granddaddy, the PPG wave 2.2, which it is currently modeled after. It’s a much smaller form factor, mostly thanks to the 4-octave keyboard. I'd have preferred the original's 61-key layout, but the 49 full-size keys are OK, professionals will have a big controller or master keyboard anyway. For most purposes, 4 octaves are enough. The smaller overall size is no problem; the controller elements work quite well - they are large enough, with enough space in between, (former) PPG owners won't need much time to readjust, newcomers will find it easy to work with.
The display is quite similar to the original, the various pages (Analog, Digital and Tuning) look and work precisely like the original. I couldn't help grinning when I saw that they included the Mod Wheel setting on the Analog page in the same way I did in my V8.3 for the original, hehe... nice touch, Behringer;-)
The Program page is a bit different and doesn't have exactly the same feature set, while some things are implemented in a different way, like the relatively hard to use sequencer of the original. OK, back then, the complete operating system of the PPG Wave had to fit into 24k; a very tight fit. Oh yes, there's a little oscilloscope display beneath the main display. It works quite well.
Now regarding the most important part, the big question: "Yeah, but does it sound like a PPG?" - I think they pretty much nailed it. I've played through all of the factory programs I know and love since many years, and it reproduced them dutifully and very much in an authentic way. Editing new sounds should be no problem to anyone already familiar with the PPG Wave, and the results match the original to a really high degree; complete identity is unreachable anyway, since each and every PPG sounds a bit differently, thanks to the analog chips and the "tuned by ear" filters. But it comes really, really close. Plus, it already got some features surpassing the original, and I'm sure more will be added over time, once the basics are fully working. The OS still needs to be fully completed, but the sound is already fully there in my opinion. Well, that's it - these are my first impressions on a new Blue Machine in my arsenal. Of course, a WaveTerm app is planned in collaboration with Behringer when the unit is ready for production. Really exciting project and I enjoy being part of this revival."
Attached Thumbnails
What synths should Behringer make next? POLL & Speculation Thread-1.jpeg   What synths should Behringer make next? POLL & Speculation Thread-2.jpeg  
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8092
Lives for gear
 
ArtFluids's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bennett ➡️
Not a keyboard, but I'd like to see a digitally controllable analog patchbay with 64 (or more) ins and out. Something like this with passive analog throughputs.

It'd make using all these new synths a damn site easier than physically re-patching.

Stephen


https://www.ericasynths.lv/shop/stan...-matrix-mixer/

Like this?
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8093
Lives for gear
 
Stephen Bennett's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids ➡️

Like this?
No. Like this. I was thinking of a general studio patchbay. 16 (or 32) ins and out of programmable routing. They are very expensive just now, especially if you have multiple synths and outboard.

]

Stephen
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8094
Lives for gear
 
kurzweil's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierbzh ➡️
News on the WAVE

We’re very excited to share the feedback from Hermann Seib, one of the co-innovators of the original PPG Wave. Hermann was gracious enough to provide incredible support for the development of our Wave synthesizer, which is now in its final stage. We spent over two years of intense development to recreate the sound of this iconic instrument.
Here's what Hermann has to say:
"My first Impressions of the new Blue Machine. I've had the honor and fun to play with the beta of the upcoming Behringer Wave for some time now. Putting it on top of its great-great-granddaddy, the PPG wave 2.2, which it is currently modeled after. It’s a much smaller form factor, mostly thanks to the 4-octave keyboard. I'd have preferred the original's 61-key layout, but the 49 full-size keys are OK, professionals will have a big controller or master keyboard anyway. For most purposes, 4 octaves are enough. The smaller overall size is no problem; the controller elements work quite well - they are large enough, with enough space in between, (former) PPG owners won't need much time to readjust, newcomers will find it easy to work with.
The display is quite similar to the original, the various pages (Analog, Digital and Tuning) look and work precisely like the original. I couldn't help grinning when I saw that they included the Mod Wheel setting on the Analog page in the same way I did in my V8.3 for the original, hehe... nice touch, Behringer;-)
The Program page is a bit different and doesn't have exactly the same feature set, while some things are implemented in a different way, like the relatively hard to use sequencer of the original. OK, back then, the complete operating system of the PPG Wave had to fit into 24k; a very tight fit. Oh yes, there's a little oscilloscope display beneath the main display. It works quite well.
Now regarding the most important part, the big question: "Yeah, but does it sound like a PPG?" - I think they pretty much nailed it. I've played through all of the factory programs I know and love since many years, and it reproduced them dutifully and very much in an authentic way. Editing new sounds should be no problem to anyone already familiar with the PPG Wave, and the results match the original to a really high degree; complete identity is unreachable anyway, since each and every PPG sounds a bit differently, thanks to the analog chips and the "tuned by ear" filters. But it comes really, really close. Plus, it already got some features surpassing the original, and I'm sure more will be added over time, once the basics are fully working. The OS still needs to be fully completed, but the sound is already fully there in my opinion. Well, that's it - these are my first impressions on a new Blue Machine in my arsenal. Of course, a WaveTerm app is planned in collaboration with Behringer when the unit is ready for production. Really exciting project and I enjoy being part of this revival."
I know some people don't like the shorter keyboard, but I think that form-factor is 'cute' and it looks really portable for gigs. I can imagine actually using that synth outside the studio..
Old 4 weeks ago
  #8095
Lives for gear
 
kreeper_6's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
They should do an Andromeda A6 type synth, being inspired by but more original like the deepmind was. It has to be 16 parts Multitimbral and needs to retain the routing sophistication, osc/filter mixing, etc.

They did the moog 921 osc, the moog filter and the sem filter...Everything the A6 is based on. It would be a discrete beast likely if they did it, maybe not so easy tuning it all.

I love my Andy. It's a synth that everyone should have a chance to acquire if they wanted. It's right up their alley philosophy wise, Affordable and Attainable.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8096
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
What happened to the original drum machine based off the TR ones RD-999?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #8097
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Re; organs, still agreed there's a ridiculous gap there. Behringer have already been the only company to make a divide-down analog synth since 1983, and now with that lead for the Solina too, it should be very easy to build the world's first divide-down organs since then, or revive the arena of paraphonic multi-synths, which has been sorely lacking since then, as well.

This a cheap and simple technology that alaways sounds different and unique from full polyphony, and there would be all sorts of opportunities to do new things with it too now, now that that there are so many control options.

Last edited by wendell r.; 4 weeks ago at 02:14 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
  #8098
Gear Nut
 
The Al1en's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
The mods at the Bontempi forum don't know why they just got a collective shiver down their backs
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8099
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeper_6 ➡️
They should do an Andromeda A6 type synth, being inspired by but more original like the deepmind was. It has to be 16 parts Multitimbral and needs to retain the routing sophistication, osc/filter mixing, etc.

They did the moog 921 osc, the moog filter and the sem filter...Everything the A6 is based on. It would be a discrete beast likely if they did it, maybe not so easy tuning it all.

I love my Andy. It's a synth that everyone should have a chance to acquire if they wanted. It's right up their alley philosophy wise, Affordable and Attainable.
Yes I keep saying this - something with andromeda ‘s level of modulation and routings (three loopable - 5-6 stage? Envelopes, two lfos and sample and hold plus a load of other control sources routable to just about anything), fairly deep in built sequencer, fully multitimbral but with modern processor power and screen allowing better modulation performance and a less fiddly clunky interface. Plus a more vintage sound like what I hear of the UB-Xa or their monos. I’d love this.
Old 1 week ago
  #8100
Lives for gear
 
ArtFluids's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years


I think it would be cool to see a 4-lane 16-step step sequencer. With gates on the steps to enable/disable (each lane has one gate output, and switches on each step determine if that step outputs a gate or not). Sort of like the Doepfer MAQ16/3 or Analogue Solutions Generator/Oberkorn. Like the above picture but 4x16.

Put it in the same case as the Pro-1.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 70 views: 9805
Avatar for kevizzles
kevizzles 5th August 2021
replies: 10005 views: 964617
Avatar for Stormchild
Stormchild 13 hours ago
replies: 2659 views: 293058
Avatar for vlz
vlz 10th March 2022
replies: 0 views: 1092
Avatar for Deleted 60622ed18ae7bb7
Deleted 60622ed18ae7bb7 30th July 2019
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump