Quantcast
What synths should Behringer make next? POLL & Speculation Thread - Page 255 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What synths should Behringer make next? POLL & Speculation Thread
View Poll Results: Vote for the synths you want Behringer to make
SH 101
121 Votes - 8.53%
SH 202
26 Votes - 1.83%
TB 303
100 Votes - 7.05%
Jupiter 8
505 Votes - 35.61%
Jupiter 6
114 Votes - 8.04%
Jupiter 4
143 Votes - 10.08%
OB-X
184 Votes - 12.98%
OB-XA
273 Votes - 19.25%
VCS-3
198 Votes - 13.96%
Synthi A
162 Votes - 11.42%
Polykobol
106 Votes - 7.48%
Polivoks
80 Votes - 5.64%
Mini korg 700s
58 Votes - 4.09%
Oberheim 4 voice
100 Votes - 7.05%
CS-80
396 Votes - 27.93%
PPG wave
171 Votes - 12.06%
Memory Moog
181 Votes - 12.76%
Prophet 5
265 Votes - 18.69%
Buchla easel
159 Votes - 11.21%
Voyetra 8
81 Votes - 5.71%
VP-330
65 Votes - 4.58%
Arp Quadra
91 Votes - 6.42%
Arp Chroma
70 Votes - 4.94%
Arp 2600
321 Votes - 22.64%
Arp sequencer
54 Votes - 3.81%
Synclavier
87 Votes - 6.14%
Wasp
76 Votes - 5.36%
SH1
25 Votes - 1.76%
SH7
62 Votes - 4.37%
SH5
106 Votes - 7.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1418. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Behringer's youtube channel put up a video of a Bi-phase clone earlier. This was the link but it's been set to private. Hmm....

Last edited by CasimirsBlake; 1 week ago at 07:19 PM..
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasimirsBlake ➡️
Behringer's youtube channel put up a video of a Bi-phase clone earlier. This was the link but it's been set to private. Hmm....
As in Mu-tron Bi-phase?
That's good news if they are tackling more classic analogue FX
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasimirsBlake ➡️
While we wait..

Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Saw this posted on another forum....supposedly from insta
Attached Thumbnails
What synths should Behringer make next? POLL & Speculation Thread-e4aia68.jpg  
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

In a B2600 type chassis.
Gear Maniac
Would be cool. Alas, wavetables are copyrighted.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by regebro ➡️
Would be cool. Alas, wavetables are copyrighted.
how hard would it be to change them up a little bit - never hear the difference in most of them.
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWriter ➡️
how hard would it be to change them up a little bit - never hear the difference in most of them.
I think that would count as "development" which isn't Behringers style, and purists would complain.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I think that would count as "development" which isn't Behringers style, and purists would complain.
behringer demonstrably does do development; both HW and SW.

to me, a wavetable is a sequence of numbers. change the numbers - subtract one from each. is it the same? can you tell the difference?

that kind of purist won't be buying Behringer stuff. we've can see that already.
Gear Maniac
That would be easily detectable and no one would fall for that. They would have probably have to split each wave up in it's components, and then put it back again, but different, which might even be hard to do, because it needs to start at the zero point, I think. So it might not even be doable, for many of the waves, but don't hold me to that statement. Maybe it's easy, I never tried.

My point is that its' more work, and also, a Blofeld costs $600 has basically the same wavetables, and have a more modern interface, so unless it's nostalgia you are after...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The RD-9 is using 909 sample data in some form I would imagine. Has there been any talk on how they got around that?
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeper_6 ➡️
The RD-9 is using 909 sample data in some form I would imagine. Has there been any talk on how they got around that?
Good point. They probably just sampled it, which might go around the whole issue. I doubt that's possible when it's single waves we are talking about.

But then again, it all boils down to if Behringer thinks Waldorf has the money to sue them or not...
Old 3 days ago
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
no idea if a wave can be copyrighted, it would surprise me somewhat and i am quite sure those waves have been used in many places, solaris springs to mind, arturia too?

let's put it this way, behringer were not starting this project without knowing they could use what they plan to
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
My point is that its' more work, and also, a Blofeld costs $600 has basically the same wavetables, and have a more modern interface, so unless it's nostalgia you are after...
the Behringer wave comes with different architecture to a blofeld, i love my blofeld but a wave it is not, thus it is more than nostalgia that will drive the popularity of this unit
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That would be easily detectable and no one would fall for that. They would have probably have to split each wave up in it's components, and then put it back again, but different, which might even be hard to do, because it needs to start at the zero point, I think. So it might not even be doable, for many of the waves, but don't hold me to that statement. Maybe it's easy, I never tried.

like a patent; utility or design types, a copyright protects some 'thing'. what exact 'thing' is being protected in a wavetable. it's merely a list of numbers, context is makes it 'art'. you can't patent math, you can't even copyright numbers - as numbers. I've worked around all kind of patents legally. I'm wondering what the work-around for this is.

I agree, the incremental worth today for those waves is pretty small for a certain number of folks. others are looking for exactly that. duran duran* cover bands and whatnot.

*-just a guess at that band. have no idea. I never listened to them. it just sounded right. lol
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro ➡️
the Behringer wave comes with different architecture to a blofeld, i love my blofeld but a wave it is not, thus it is more than nostalgia that will drive the popularity of this unit
It's true that the one time I had some time with a PPG Wave I didn't manage to change a single setting. The UI is clearly quite special. :-)
Gear Maniac
Quote:
like a patent; utility or design types, a copyright protects some 'thing'. what exact 'thing' is being protected in a wavetable. it's merely a list of numbers, context is makes it 'art'. you can't patent math, you can't even copyright numbers - as numbers. I've worked around all kind of patents legally. I'm wondering what the work-around for this is.

I agree, the incremental worth today for those waves is pretty small for a certain number of folks. others are looking for exactly that. duran duran* cover bands and whatnot.

*-just a guess at that band. have no idea. I never listened to them. it just sounded right. lol
A wavetable is arguably a recording or sound, which is copyrighted.

But there might be some easy way of changing the wavetables to have a different sequence of numbers, and still sound the same, I haven't tried. And then there is no problem.

If there is not, then Behringer might just bank on it being too expensive to sue them.
Old 1 day ago
vlz
Lives for gear

at least they have not stopped prototyping.

What synths should Behringer make next? POLL & Speculation Thread-bode.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
What synths should Behringer make next? POLL & Speculation Thread-bode.jpg  
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
If there is not, then Behringer might just bank on it being too expensive to sue them.
there's is always that opportunity; you might be surprised how often that happens anyway. IP isn't free. you have to fight for those IP rights.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz ➡️
at least they have not stopped prototyping.
yay! there's those new style pots again too. looks like they're here to stay. I wonder how the audio taper version is on these.
Gear Maniac

time for an IR3109 clone
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocosushi ➡️
time for an IR3109 clone
more chips the better!
Old 21 hours ago
Gear Addict

Korg SB-100 SynthE Bass

This has been my white whale for the last couple of years!

Old 12 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawneyBean ➡️
Korg SB-100 SynthE Bass

This has been my white whale for the last couple of years!

Wow that filter really growls.
Old 11 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocosushi ➡️
time for an IR3109 clone
ALFA out of Latvia just put their IR3109 clone into production. They have been churning out synth chips at an insanely fast pace and have covered the CEM line very well.

https://www.alfarzpp.lv/eng/sc/AS3109.php

https://www.alfarzpp.lv/eng/sc/application.php
Old 10 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeper_6 ➡️
ALFA out of Latvia just put their IR3109 clone into production. They have been churning out synth chips at an insanely fast pace and have covered the CEM line very well.

https://www.alfarzpp.lv/eng/sc/AS3109.php

https://www.alfarzpp.lv/eng/sc/application.php
Is the fab plant also in Latvia, or do they spec them and then get them fabricated elsewhere?
Old 10 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
to me, a wavetable is a sequence of numbers. change the numbers - subtract one from each. is it the same? can you tell the difference?
They are calculated and carefully chosen numbers which represent a unique sonic footprint...not something that you can randomly change without any obvious difference in the result.

I believe that the importance of the wavetables has its roots in the nature of the wavetable architecture..it's like changing the VCOs in a subtractive analog synth. Will it sound good? Probably (if there are talented and experienced people working on the project). Will it sound like the original? Not likely.
Old 6 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax ➡️
They are calculated and carefully chosen numbers which represent a unique sonic footprint...not something that you can randomly change without any obvious difference in the result.
you can make small changes and not notice, subtract one from each value for instance. many folks take for granted lots of linear distortion present in system without complaining. sure, you'll have a small percentage complain about the difference.

my experience with Behringer has been most folks don't even notice the parts quality issues present in every system.

so, yeah a perfectionist might complain, but they're not really the bulk of Behringers customers.

in any case, Behringer has a plan. and so do I :0)
Old 4 hours ago
Gear Head

not sure why they havent done the Oberheim SEM 2 or 4 voice. you know with the separate filter controls for each VCO and the per voice stereo panning capability. that would be a home run for them.
Old 3 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzweil ➡️
Is the fab plant also in Latvia, or do they spec them and then get them fabricated elsewhere?
From their twitter...

https://twitter.com/alfarzpp

"ALFA RPAR AS is a semiconductor factory founded in 1959. In 2016 we started to design integrated circuits for synth and audio.

Riga, Latvia"

They are amazing. ALFA have also recently produced a CA3046, CA3280 and many other synth centric chips/transistors that have long been discontinued.

It seems they are also very open to suggestions and manufacturing needs...think Erica Synths.
📝 Reply