The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
List of All of the Gear You Have and All of the Gear You've Owned
Old 3rd February 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp ➑️
Another guy whose list I was looking forward to seeing. That's beautiful right there. Love the crazy sampling coupled with such a broad synth palette.

Kinda curious as I only had an S950 for a couple weeks myself, how does the S6000 compare to the MPC's? Are they as easy to navigate and assign sounds in, or is it a little more complicated? Can it read .wavs and if so, can it hold its own hard drive? I've got an MPC5000 that gets used exclusively as a sound module rather than for its sequencer, so this is one area where downsizing to a rack sampler would make a lot of sense.

Did I sell you mine? I thought I'd dropped it on eBay. Sold it so long ago, I can't remember.
I didn't buy it from you but reading one of your posts about it enticed me to pick one up. I'm pretty happy with it too. It's getting used on my current track in fact.

The S6K/S5K are very easy to use. IMO one of the easiest ever made. They read .wav and several other sampler formats. Mine is connected to an 18 gig external SCSI drive and has a SCSI to CF card adapter sitting in the bay for the internal hard drive with a 16 gig card. I also have the USB option and use Aksys for dragging and dropping samples in and out of it. I regularly find myself opening the USB drive of my MPC on the desktop and dragging the samples right into Aksys and onto the S6K's CF card.
I would just swap CF cards but it's not easy since I installed the adapter inside the sampler.

I've used the MPC 1000 and S6000 setup for a few years now and it's really an awesome team. Getting pads assigned to samples in the sampler is no sweat at all. Just need to know the notes of the pads and setup your keymapping properly in your sample program which is dead simple to do either from the panel or from Aksys. I don't even have to think about it anymore.

Out of my entire pile of wacky gear I think my favorite part is all of the weird permutations I can achieve between instruments and processing devices. I think of it as modular synthesis at the macro level using the entire studio. Some of the more obscure weird processing units I have, have turned out to be surprisingly excellent sources of unusual character. Even more so when two or more such units are daisy chained.
For example I'm running the SH-2 into the Zoom 9150 then to the Ibanez DM-1000 to convert it to 8 bit audio and then into the Mangler. The range of interesting sounds I got out of this chain was amazing. I turned on my MPC2500 and before I knew I'd taken 64 samples of processed SH-2 loops that blew my mind. thank god for the Save All Samples and Programs option in JJOS!

Overall it's just a really, really big box of Crayolas for my scribblings!

Last edited by Hollowman9; 3rd February 2017 at 06:50 PM..
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 ➑️
Overall it's just a really, really big box of Crayolas for my scribblings!
You sound like you would really enjoy modular.
Lives for gear

Quote:
You sound like you would really enjoy modular.
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Dam Derp this would take waaaaayyyy too long what are you thinking?

I don't even think I can remember every piece of gear I have ever owned/sold.

Im copping out bro good luck with the thread..
Old 4th February 2017 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 ➑️
Dam Derp this would take waaaaayyyy too long what are you thinking?

I don't even think I can remember every piece of gear I have ever owned/sold.

Im copping out bro good luck with the thread..

I know, this was an INSANE idea! I had a list from an old website I had that was updated like five years ago, and it still took me a few hours of sorting through VSE's entries trying to remember everything that was missed including the stuff not on their site. I'm almost certain there's a ton of nonsynth gear that I missed as well.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Gone:

ARP Axxe
Emulator III
Prophet 5 Rev 2
Oberheim Matrix 12
NEXT Superbass
Ensoniq EPS
Memorymoog+ (almost got it back again recently, but fate intervened)
Oberheim OB-MX
Juno-6
Polymoog
Studio Electronics SE-1x

Have - nothing that nice:

Farfisa Professional Piano
Korg DSS-1
MFB Synth II
Casio CZ-1000
Rhodes Stage 73
Hammond M3
Kohler and Campbell upright piano
E-Mu Command Station
Novation Drum Station
Roland TR-707
Yamaha CP-11
Kurzweil K1000SE
MPC 2000
Motif XS8
Crumar Multiman
Volca Sample

But nicer studio gear. A tradeoff I guess.

I miss the EIII and the Polymoog the most.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Mine goes like this:

Awesome job in the 90's:

Bought every classic analog I could find .

Long term relationship breakup, no more analogs.

Got better job, got more gear.

Long term relationship with alcoholic. Clinging onto analogs and hiding a lot of stuff in the closet.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by choond ➑️
Mine goes like this:

Awesome job in the 90's:

Bought every classic analog I could find .

Long term relationship breakup, no more analogs.

Got better job, got more gear.

Long term relationship with alcoholic. Clinging onto analogs and hiding a lot of stuff in the closet.
Jesus
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminIAm ➑️
Jesus
Yeah, I'd heard he had a drinking problem. The dude's blood is WINE for Christ's sake!
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by choond ➑️
Clinging onto analogs and hiding a lot of stuff in the closet.
Been there. I dated a pill popper for a few years. None of my gear ever disappeared, but other things mysteriously walked off before I figured out what was going on.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Been there. I dated a pill popper for a few years. None of my gear ever disappeared, but other things mysteriously walked off before I figured out what was going on.
Thanks Derp (and Gem).

Last edited by choond; 4th February 2017 at 10:59 PM..
Old 15th March 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You went ITB a while back, didn't you? Do you ever miss the hardware?
(man, i've been meaning to reply to this for a month and a half now. sorry.)

yep, totally ITB these days. for the most part, no, i don't miss any of that stuff at all - at least as far as feeling like i "need" any of it. honestly, i wouldn't mind if i still had most everything on that list, but only because i think they're cool/fun/interesting/whatever. i don't think there's anything there that i would use in my setup now, but i could definitely see breaking them out on occasion just to kill some time. i see them all as "toys" (don't mean that in a bad way at all), and wouldn't mind playing with them every once in a while. the only thing that i really wish i still had sometimes is the Elektron Octatrack, which i'd load up with stems that i'd make ITB. there were a number of things that i hated about it, but the OT is a really cool machine.

i do wish that i had extensively sampled all the drum machines, but i didn't have a very good way of doing so back then (though i'd be happy if i had even just recorded them to cassette tape or with my old Pioneer CD burner). if i had them now, i'd just sample/record them if i were to make any use of them at all. i wish i had hours of DR-110 hi-hat patterns recorded at different tempos (for example), and i'm really curious to see whether or not round-robin sampling might be worthwhile for older digital drum machines.

what i didn't even mention were all the guitars that i've owned. went crazy a few years ago collecting 60s Hagstrom IIIs and various 60s japan guitars, ended up selling all of them. i do wish that i still had some of those. all i've got now is my old Sears/Silvertone that i've had for 20+ years and a Fender Mustang Special (which is probably the best guitar i've ever owned as far as "this suits me perfectly", love that thing). each of those guitars was unique, sometimes i wish i could waste hours again switching back and forth between them comparing their differences.

Quote:
Also, have you found a solution to getting hands-on with synth programming that doesn't feel like a compromise? Legitimately interested in this as I keep buying plugins but not using them because I hate the interface.
i have no problem at all programming softsynths using a mouse (trackball) and staring at the screen. i actually enjoy it. when it comes to performance, i map the controls that i need for any particular track in Ableton (using the APC40mkII, and Push2 whenever i get around to hooking it up) or Maschine (used as a VST inside Ableton) and go from there.
Old 16th March 2017 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc ➑️
(man, i've been meaning to reply to this for a month and a half now. sorry.)

yep, totally ITB these days. for the most part, no, i don't miss any of that stuff at all - at least as far as feeling like i "need" any of it. honestly, i wouldn't mind if i still had most everything on that list, but only because i think they're cool/fun/interesting/whatever. i don't think there's anything there that i would use in my setup now, but i could definitely see breaking them out on occasion just to kill some time. i see them all as "toys" (don't mean that in a bad way at all), and wouldn't mind playing with them every once in a while. the only thing that i really wish i still had sometimes is the Elektron Octatrack, which i'd load up with stems that i'd make ITB. there were a number of things that i hated about it, but the OT is a really cool machine.

i do wish that i had extensively sampled all the drum machines, but i didn't have a very good way of doing so back then (though i'd be happy if i had even just recorded them to cassette tape or with my old Pioneer CD burner). if i had them now, i'd just sample/record them if i were to make any use of them at all. i wish i had hours of DR-110 hi-hat patterns recorded at different tempos (for example), and i'm really curious to see whether or not round-robin sampling might be worthwhile for older digital drum machines.

what i didn't even mention were all the guitars that i've owned. went crazy a few years ago collecting 60s Hagstrom IIIs and various 60s japan guitars, ended up selling all of them. i do wish that i still had some of those. all i've got now is my old Sears/Silvertone that i've had for 20+ years and a Fender Mustang Special (which is probably the best guitar i've ever owned as far as "this suits me perfectly", love that thing). each of those guitars was unique, sometimes i wish i could waste hours again switching back and forth between them comparing their differences.

i have no problem at all programming softsynths using a mouse (trackball) and staring at the screen. i actually enjoy it. when it comes to performance, i map the controls that i need for any particular track in Ableton (using the APC40mkII, and Push2 whenever i get around to hooking it up) or Maschine (used as a VST inside Ableton) and go from there.
Thanks for taking the time to share this. This was really insightful. Maybe one day I'll get the hang of softsynths and become a convert like yourself. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little jealous of you.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sold: MC303 & Blofeld.
Given I've only ever sold two things in 20 years you can comfortably gauge what I thought of them. That said, I want the MC back. Go figure.
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I built my first studio in 1978...the list of what gear came and went list is long and boring...
most of it is long gone to make way for the digital era but I still have the mics.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushy Mushy ➑️
Sold: MC303 & Blofeld.
Given I've only ever sold two things in 20 years you can comfortably gauge what I thought of them. That said, I want the MC back. Go figure.
I do not miss the MC-303 at all. That was the first piece of synth gear I ever bought. It got stolen, and I was actually kinda thankful because I no longer had a reason to feel attached to it.
Old 17th March 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Studio 1:

Future Retro Orb sequencers x 11
Korg microSAMPLER samplers with microphones x 4
Yamaha QY700 sequencer
Access Virus C desktop synth
Yamaha MSP5 studio monitors x2
Midi Solutions Quadramerge midi merge box
Kenton Merge-4 midi merge boxes x2
Yamaha MEP4 rack midi processor
SPL Dynamaxx rack compressor
MAM MB33 MK2 rack synth
next! Superbass 4.4 rack synth
Proco RAT R2DU rack distortion
Rane SM82S rack mixer
Yamaha FS1R rack synth
Doepfer MS-404 rack synths x 2
Novation A-Station rack synth
Gemini DRP-1 digital rackmount recorder
Alesis Picoverb rack reverb
Ultimate Music Theory whiteboard

Studio 2:

Roland MC909 groovebox
Yamaha MSP5 studio monitor
Unidirectional Dynamic Microphone

Backup equipment:

Roland MC909 groovebox
Access Virus C desktop synth
Yamaha QY700 sequencer

That's about AU$13000 worth of gear, carefully chosen and futureproof. Luckily I bought it all when I still had the means, as with the mortgage I could never afford it now.
Old 17th March 2017 | Show parent
Deleted b598644
i am not putting down what i all had over the last 20 years , it triggers regrets
Old 19th March 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Since 1981, I got about 130 synths;
today, 63 synths remain ;

What is plugged in my desks :

1) Roland SH101
2) " Juno 60
3) " JX3P
4) " a Juno 1
5) " SH32
6) " Jupiter 6
7) " JX8P
8) " JX10
9) " RS 09
10) Korg MS10
11) " Trident mk1
12) " DW8000
13) " Poly 61
14) " EMX
15) Yamaha S80
16) Alesis Fusion 6HD
17) Alesis Fusion 8HD
18) Novation KS 5
19) Hypersynth Xenophone
20) SCI Prophet 6
21) NR Synth Alligator ARP2600
22) SE Code 8-arp & cs filters

6 synths for gigs;
5 broken synths : micron,k station,D70,VFX,Hammond B200,
30 somewhere in the house;

Sold :
OBX x2, CS60, Pro One, SH101(2), Sys 102, Vostok, Trilogy, PE1000, Siel orchestra, Spectralis, Origin, Pro 2, PEK, PER, Analog 4, Analog Key, JX3P(2), DX7 x2, minibrute,vermona perfourmer/ and digital synths : fantom/triton/trinity/motif/eps/s1100/microkorg/ms2000/jp08/ju06/mwxt/dss1/
moog lp/T3/wavestation/fender rhodes/nl2/nord g1/an200/cs1/cs2/jv1080/ xv5050/blofeld/mopho key/esx x2/e2s/mininova/virus a/esi2000/esi4000/ tg77/tx802/tx81z/dx21/k1-II/K4/ys200/gem ws2/
Old 23rd March 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Active:

Stufio Electronics Omega 8
Modal 002r
Creamware Minimax ASB
DSI Prophet 6 module
Moog Minitaur
Waldorf Microwave XT
Waldorf Streichfett
Mos-Labs Kobol III Expander
Analogue Solutions Leipzig S
Roland V-Synth XT
Roland JD-990
Roland SH-2
Roland TR-8
Vermona DRM I I I mk ii

Inactive:
Akai MPC2500, Kawai K5000s, Motif Rack, TX81Z, Kawai K1, Zoom mr-3

Broken:
Cheetah MS rack, Roland MKS-30

Gone: too many to list
Old 23rd March 2017
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Too much stuff in either category. I like going ack to things and looking at them from a different perspective/set of needs. Most things I sold because I needed cash for my son's financial needs including a CS-80,DX1 and Jupiter-8. Ce la vie !
Old 23rd March 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
No!
Old 23rd March 2017 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramseur ➑️
Analogue Solutions Leipzig S
So did it turn out that the resonance issue was indeed fixed, or was Tom fibbing again when he said that?
Old 24th March 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
So did it turn out that the resonance issue was indeed fixed, or was Tom fibbing again when he said that?
this is about the Leipzig S:

I don't know about "fixed". I will say that the resonance (emphasis) doesn't really do anything until about 3:00 on a dial that maxes out at 5:00 or so.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramseur ➑️
this is about the Leipzig S:

I don't know about "fixed". I will say that the resonance (emphasis) doesn't really do anything until about 3:00 on a dial that maxes out at 5:00 or so.
So definitely not fixed. I know Sound on Sound was griping about it and I think it was you that was mentioning that Tom had told you it was over-exaggerated and that it's since been 'fixed' before you bought it. I hated that on my old Leipzig and Red Square. Fine-tuning the resonance was just about impossible because of it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Here's everything I've owned in the past:

Alesis A6 Andromeda
Korg 01/Wfd
Korg Microkorg
Korg Polysix
Roland D-50
Roland D-550
Roland Juno 106
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-80 Rev 4
SCI Pro One
Yamaha DX100
Yamaha Motif XS6
Yamaha TX802

Now I have... nothing.
Old 24th March 2017
Gear Head

Currently:
Kurzweil K2600XS with sampling option, DADAT and all the roms except GM
Roland V-synth 2.0 plus D50 and vocal designer cards
Waldorf Pulse 2
Mopho
Yamaha RS7000
Ensoniq DP Pro

Plus a few VST's and Maschine MK1

Sold out of necessity:
Elektron Monomachine
Roland Fantom X6
Novation X-station 25

My rig hasn't changed for years as the Kurz and V are so deep. I'm only really tempted by the Montage and JDXA.
Old 27th March 2017 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz ➑️
Now I have... nothing.
Ouch. What happened?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ouch. What happened?
Sold everything in 2013. Wife wanted a vacation and I needed a new car, so the synths had to go.

I might get a JP-08 or JU-06 just so I have something to play around on though.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz ➑️
Sold everything in 2013. Wife wanted a vacation and I needed a new car, so the synths had to go.

I might get a JP-08 or JU-06 just so I have something to play around on though.
Sell the car into sex trafficking and drop the wife off on eBay. Use the money to buy gear and beer.
πŸ“ Reply