Baloran ‘The River’ Synthesizer - Page 155 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Baloran ‘The River’ Synthesizer
Old 28th February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmokTime ➡️
My fault, I did not discover this beautiful synth until right after the gates closed. Literally missed by a few weeks.
I only discovered it today. Shame production stops
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro ➡️
I only discovered it today. Shame production stops
Production stopped?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh ➡️
Production stopped?
Oh sorry. I'm assuming they're not taking new orders. Didn't mean to frighten anyone with deposit paid, sorry.
Here for the gear

To be honest, not sure if they have stopped production. Current orders being fullfilled i have no doubt, Laurent is a great guy with high integrity. I think though he is putting his time in R&D on the new synth, “The Lake” (personally think The Ocean would have been a better name) That leaves a new run in 2021 of “The River” in an unknown state. Ibhave reached out to Laurent with no response by email and no response on this forum. Brilliant man and very busy though.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
To be honest, not sure if they have stopped production. Current orders being fullfilled i have no doubt, Laurent is a great guy with high integrity. I think though he is putting his time in R&D on the new synth, “The Lake” (personally think The Ocean would have been a better name) That leaves a new run in 2021 of “The River” in an unknown state. Ibhave reached out to Laurent with no response by email and no response on this forum. Brilliant man and very busy though.
That's great information, thank you. I would consider buying. I have some synths I need to offload to make room!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
No changes w re to nrpn in Live 11. The last change they made was to not filter double values out anymore which was really bad for nrpn. That was a year ago or so.
I have made suggestions for that quite often in the past to ableton (centercode). If you've got an account please do vote on a proper nrpn implementation.
Also, I couldn't get the nrpn m4l plugin to work with my andromeda.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I’ve been test driving Live 11 for the past several days and can confirm that sequencing The River using NRPNs is still problematic.
Old 1st March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague ➡️
Sorry, what do you mean by “DC” ?
MIDI CC control of Triko parameters?
Not DC, Deepl translate CC with DC :D :D

I didn't anticipate that users would want to drive The River with a computer, but now I understand the need for automation.
There is internal communication in The River via NRPN, but via CC I have to do something special. I can't put all the parameters in CC Also the communication with The and the communication with The Triko is not provided by NRPNs, so opening it to the outside requires quite heavy facilities.
So I suggest that you make a list here of what might really be needed and also tell me the problems with NRPNs and how to reproduce the problem.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thank you for your words

Yes the new project keeps me busy but is not incompatible with the production of The River, as I am now well helped in this task.

This year promises to be very complex. Between the pandemic and its terrible repercussions in the music world, and the shortage of semiconductors, projections are difficult. I stayed under observation for some time actually without being able to communicate about the new batch.

The preparation of a batch implies that all the actors, all the components are present for a given date and at normal prices. This is not the case at the moment. So I'm unable to commit to dates, which I've always respected rather well. So I won't launch a new production of electronic boards for this year as long as the conditions are not better. So I can't commit to deliver n The River before the end of the year.

My decision is that this year, there will be a very small production of The River (10...15 instruments) that will be assembled from existing stocks. The choice of color will be very limited, both for the cases and the wood. They will therefore be offered for sale on site after fabrication, without reservation.
Old 1st March 2021
Here for the gear
Thank you for sharing this Laurent!

I guess I'll be hitting refresh on the website quite often until the end of the year then
Here for the gear

Bonjour Laurent, thank you for your detailed reply. As i dont want to miss the sale of the 10-15 instruments and I will refresh the website often. If you would post on gearslutz when they go up for sale it would be most appreciated and I will buy promptly.

Derek
Old 2nd March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloran ➡️
Thank you for your words

Yes the new project keeps me busy but is not incompatible with the production of The River, as I am now well helped in this task.

This year promises to be very complex. Between the pandemic and its terrible repercussions in the music world, and the shortage of semiconductors, projections are difficult. I stayed under observation for some time actually without being able to communicate about the new batch.

The preparation of a batch implies that all the actors, all the components are present for a given date and at normal prices. This is not the case at the moment. So I'm unable to commit to dates, which I've always respected rather well. So I won't launch a new production of electronic boards for this year as long as the conditions are not better. So I can't commit to deliver n The River before the end of the year.

My decision is that this year, there will be a very small production of The River (10...15 instruments) that will be assembled from existing stocks. The choice of color will be very limited, both for the cases and the wood. They will therefore be offered for sale on site after fabrication, without reservation.
Thank you for the update Laurent, I know a lot of us have been waiting to find out about batch 5.
I can understand your reasoning on this but wonder if you would consider allowing us to put a deposit down for those 10-15 rivers as you have done with the other batches, whomever puts the money down can secure a spot. I myself have been on the waiting list since last summer and have not bought any other synths as I’ve been saving that money for the river, I’m sure others have done the same. I would be happy to pay a deposit or in full and also happy to wait until the end of the year for delivery as long as we could secure an order that we’ve been waiting so long for.
I of course respect all your decisions but maybe you would consider allowing some of us ready to buy to secure an order ?
Thank you for all of your contributions to the synth community, making such an incredible modern analog polysynth is no small feat
Old 3rd March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by _space ➡️
Thank you for the update Laurent, I know a lot of us have been waiting to find out about batch 5....
I completely understand and I regret it. But there will be no choice. If I tell you: it's your turn, your The River will be white with walnut wood sides, will you be satisfied? It seemed simpler to me to finish the instruments, to photograph them and to put them on sale on the site. And if for some reason I can only produce 6 white instruments (I have a limited trust in the sheet metal supplier, it's the only piece without a safety stock), then I will avoid greater disappointment for the unserved customers who would have advanced funds. The Baloran company, thanks to you, is doing well. It can endure this difficult period without any worries and really hopes to resume a more normal activity from 2021-2022 with the production of two or three products
Old 3rd March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
I completely understand and I regret it. But there will be no choice. If I tell you: it's your turn, your The River will be white with walnut wood sides, will you be satisfied? It seemed simpler to me to finish the instruments, to photograph them and to put them on sale on the site. And if for some reason I can only produce 6 white instruments (I have a limited trust in the sheet metal supplier, it's the only piece without a safety stock), then I will avoid greater disappointment for the unserved customers who would have advanced funds. The Baloran company, thanks to you, is doing well. It can endure this difficult period without any worries and really hopes to resume a more normal activity from 2021-2022 with the production of two or three products
Thank you for the response Laurent. I can’t speak for others but yes I would still be satisfied with any colour of river. I of course would have preferences if given the choice but with the state of the world right now and all the manufacturing and supply chain issues I’m happy just to get a river of any colour.
I personally don’t have time to be refreshing my browser every hour to see if there are any available.
Maybe you would consider a split of something like 10 secured orders with deposit and understanding that colour choices will be limited or no choice at all. And then a further 5 (or however many more you are able to produce) that go up on the Baloran site once assembled.
I appreciate your consideration and whatever your final decision is I hope that I can get one in 2021.
Old 5th March 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I would be happy to pay deposit now for any color. You have my email i believe for Derek. If not, perhaps send an email to those on waiting list that the sales have gone live on your site.
Either way i appreciate you making these available

Derek
Old 5th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

I didn't anticipate that users would want to drive The River with a computer, but now I understand the need for automation.
There is internal communication in The River via NRPN, but via CC I have to do something special. I can't put all the parameters in CC Also the communication with The and the communication with The Triko is not provided by NRPNs, so opening it to the outside requires quite heavy facilities.
So I suggest that you make a list here of what might really be needed and also tell me the problems with NRPNs and how to reproduce the problem.
What I was imagining was something like The River Remote, which is accessed via MIDI channel 14, for The Triko which, for example, could be accessed via another MIDI channel such as 15 or 16.

Obviously, it's much easier to imagine than actually do. So I would understand if this is too much to ask.

My experience with The River Remote has been very positive. I am using an iPad and TouchOSC to connect to The River via bluetooth. The improvement in ergonomics and general day-to-day usage of The River is more than I expected. It got me thinking how nice it would be to have a TouchOSC panel for The Triko.

Another reason I'd like to see Triko access made a bit more user friendly and less dependent on The River's interface is that I’m using it often as an FX processor for other gear. The Triko sounds great with other synths. It would be nice to be able to edit and control The Triko remotely from my main mixing desk and not necessarily need to be positioned directly in front of The River.

I’m also rather envious of the MIDI implementation and software programming interface for The Triko hardware and would love to make something like it using Ableton Max4Live (see photo below).

Speaking of which, the issue with NRPNs is related to Ableton, not The River. Using Logic, NRPNs work perfectly. But in Ableton, strange things happen. Unfortunately, I don’t know enough about Ableton’s handling of NRPNs to tell you more. But the problem is easy to reproduce: just try recording parameter changes such as CUTOFF or EMPHASIS as MIDI via the Panel USB and then try to play them back. Sometimes they will play back accurately, other times odds things will occur such as The River suddenly entering Auto-tune mode or begin selecting presets or even freezing up entirely. I’m not sure there’s anything you can do. The problem seems to be with Ableton’s odd way of handling NRPNs.
Attached Thumbnails
Baloran ‘The River’ Synthesizer-screen-shot-2021-03-03-11.08.54.jpg   Baloran ‘The River’ Synthesizer-screen-shot-2021-03-03-11.09.38.png  
Old 8th March 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:

Personally, I'm looking for control over the more "basic" features. For example being able to send automation to the filter cutoff or resonance would be a huge bonus. Same with envelope parameters, LFO freq, and LFO depths.

Ideally though, automating anything directly on the front panel, would be extremely useful when working with Ableton.
Old 21st March 2021
Gear Head

Shimmer and Cosmos missing

Hi, can anyone help me with this? I'm trying to add Shimmer to a patch and both it and Cosmos are gone, replaced with Small and Large rooms. I've been using both a lot so it seems strange that it's suddenly not on the FX menu anymore. Something I need to reset? Sorry if this is a newbie question.
Old 22nd March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannery Row ➡️
Hi, can anyone help me with this? I'm trying to add Shimmer to a patch and both it and Cosmos are gone, replaced with Small and Large rooms. I've been using both a lot so it seems strange that it's suddenly not on the FX menu anymore. Something I need to reset? Sorry if this is a newbie question.
You need to tell The River in the System Settings which FX EEPROM you're using in order for it to display the correct names. It sounds like yours is still set to Type 1. You need to select Type 2.

EEPROM Type 2 replaces the Small and Large rooms from Type 1 with the Cosmos and Shimmer FX. With only one EEPROM able to be installed at a time, it is not possible to continue using both sets of FX. You can only display their names.

Last edited by maisonvague; 22nd March 2021 at 09:11 AM..
Old 22nd March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

I think it’s because I recently reinstalled factory programs. I remember not being able to find anything more recent than Lot 3 files, so those obviously predate EEPROM 2. I really appreciate everyone’s supportiveness.
Old 28th March 2021
Gear Maniac

Hi
Version 2.15 is online. It incorporates an important correction. It could happen that a note remains frozen (continuous emission) when one exerted fast repetitions on the same note without a complete release between the two. It's corrected
Another modification requested by users, the velocity curve and aftertouch curve parameters are global. They will not be changed by loading a patch, multi or template.

Last edited by Baloran; 29th March 2021 at 05:38 PM.. Reason: change version
Old 28th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannery Row ➡️
Restoring factory programs does not change the menu. Can you tell me the firmware version on your The River ? I strongly advise you to install the last version (2.14). You will then see in the system menu of the panel the choice EEPROM FX that you will have to set to 2. Did you install a new eeprom ?
Gear Head

Quote:
Restoring factory programs does not change the menu. Can you tell me the firmware version on your The River ? I strongly advise you to install the last version (2.14). You will then see in the system menu of the panel the choice EEPROM FX that you will have to set to 2. Did you install a new eeprom ?
I have 2.12 I believe, will confirm later today when I get to my studio. I received my River in December with the newer EEPROM already installed. What happened was: after restoring factory programs (from Lot 3, though mine is Lot 4), for some reason my EEPROM setting was switched to 1, which is why I did not see Shimmer and Cosmos as options for FX, but instead saw Small and Large rooms. Once I checked my system parameter for EEPROM (thank you @ maisonvague ) I changed the value to 2 and the problem was solved. I am not sure why the EEPROM value was switched to 1. I imagined it might have been caused by installing factory programs older than EEPROM 2, because the two things happened simultaneously. But what do I know? 😁 Thanks Laurent for a great machine which I am still in the early stages of learning. I will install 2.14 as soon as I can.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Version 2.14 is online. It incorporates an important correction. It could happen that a note remains frozen (continuous emission) when one exerted fast repetitions on the same note without a complete release between the two. It's corrected
Thanks!

(2.14 does not seem to exist any longer, so I suppose a quick correction was made to 2.14 --> 2.15 ?)

For the longest time I've had some specific notes hanging. It started with the rightmost F# and G#, but since I didn't used those very often, it was not a big problem.

Lately the middle F# started to hang a lot. I didn't have to press it double, but rather hit it hard once to make it hang. That was a lot more problematic than the other two notes.

(Quickest way to stop the hanging note, was just to press down 8+ keys at the same time. I suppose "PANIC" would work, but easier to just lay the hand down on the keyboard when I'm playing for myself.)

I tried again before the update (I had 2.13), and I easily made the note hang by hitting it hard (not every time, but often).

After installing version 2.15, I'm at least so far not able to produce the hanging note again. Yay!
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by enulun ➡️
After installing version 2.15, I'm at least so far not able to produce the hanging note again. Yay!
Very happy to read you
Old 1st April 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
With the River having a heart from the Moog Source, I’m curious if we could fashion more patches that are based on other Moog synths? I’d enjoy patches that would be suitable for an early Gary Numan record for instance. Since I’m unlikely to buy a MemoryMoog anytime soon having the River cover that sonic territory (loosely) seems like a good idea. I’ll try, but if someone else is more clever at patch creation gets a start in that direction if love to hear it.
Old 2nd April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

From a Customer no present on Gearslutz

"In very rare moments and very fast playing in Polyphonic and Monophonic Mode The River is occasionaly missing a Note On on single notes.
Firmware 2.15"

Have you the same problem ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Laurent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
From a Customer no present on Gearslutz

"In very rare moments and very fast playing in Polyphonic and Monophonic Mode The River is occasionaly missing a Note On on single notes.
Firmware 2.15"

Have you the same problem ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Laurent
Same problem here!
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by albundy ➡️
Same problem here!
Thanks for your fast reply !

Do you think it could be because in a fast game you don't release the note completely before re playing it or do you think this problem comes even on unrehearsed notes?
With the previous version, you didn't have this problem?
Old 3rd April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks for your fast reply !

Do you think it could be because in a fast game you don't release the note completely before re playing it or do you think this problem comes even on unrehearsed notes?
With the previous version, you didn't have this problem?
Sorry can't tell, but didn't have this problem before.I had a problem with a firmware where i had to go back to a previous version as there was no screen on so can't really tell what the firmware was before...

Last edited by albundy; 3rd April 2021 at 12:36 PM..
📝 Reply