The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Malekko Manther Mono Synth
Old 3rd September 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodde ➡️
Did you report that to Malekko? That's not good. Same goes for the midi problems of the posts above. I wonder why these basic things got through quality control.....
Josh is a friend of mine, i told him via email. They know about it.
Old 3rd September 2019
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Is the drum machine that was to partner the Manther still going ahead does anyone know..?

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard ➡️
Malekko have more than enough know how to fix it. I'm guessing they're busy with other things too. Everyone got in such a huff to have these released, it's no wonder there were some issues.
I don't see that as an argument to pass (basic) bugs through quality control.
Deleted 60622ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodde ➡️
I don't see that as an argument to pass (basic) bugs through quality control.
Yeah well thats pretty much 80% of any synths released in the last five years and most of them arent small outfits.
Deleted 60622ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz ➡️
Is the drum machine that was to partner the Manther still going ahead does anyone know..?
I thought these were going to be a series of similar boxes. Not into drum machines but my experience with the manther is good so Id be interested in seeing what they did.
Old 21st November 2019 | Show parent
Gear Head
timing

anyone have timing issues when using song mode? playing individual patterns no issue, but once chained together in song mode.... it is very noticeably off
Old 17th February 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So what’s the verdict on this one? Sounds great but are there still bugs to be ironed out? Timing issues perhaps? Very close to pulling the trigger and would love to know.

And if anyone is selling in europe let me know.

Cheers
R
Old 17th February 2020 | Show parent
Deleted 60622ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by flextone ➡️
So what’s the verdict on this one? Sounds great but are there still bugs to be ironed out? Timing issues perhaps? Very close to pulling the trigger and would love to know.

And if anyone is selling in europe let me know.

Cheers
R
Ive been playing mine a lot recently...tuning has been a little unstable on cv but thats to do with forgetting to unplug the cv on the initial calibration and the blend knob not being back on zero, so I just stick to midi. Sounds great, been sequencing it alongside an erebus, boog, and pro one, and theyre all so different and excellent sounding..it now records external midi into the sequencer so you can take advantage of its (also) excellent motion recording while sequencing from something better than its little buttons (Ive been using a force)

Solid little mono imo
Old 10th March 2021
Gear Head

Just got a Manther and it's lovely.
There are two things I can't seem to do.

Clearing a step of a sequence: I've tried hitting an active step, it stays active; I've tried Clear + an active step, nothing happens. I've tried it in record mode and not, while the sequencer is playing and not. The only way I can silence a note is turning its probability to 0.

Live recording: when I hit Record, the sequencer stops running and won't run until I come out of record mode.

Is it just me? Should I reinstall the firmware? It is currently version 1.20

I've tried contacting Malekko but I'm not convinced my message has got through, I've had no confirmation email and their web site doesn't work properly - the tab system doesn't work, so I'm unable to register with the web site, etc.

This is a fantastic machine with a lovely sound and a great sequencer, I hope I can get these two things functioning right ...
Old 10th March 2021
Gear Head

OK, the problem has disappeared. In the Record menu I found it to be in step record mode which I disabled. Now hitting Record doesn't stop the sequencer and I can live record.
Curiously, I can now disable / clear steps by hitting the step buttons as expected, but I can't reproduce the error where this didn't work by putting it back into step record mode. Weird.

Another thing. The faders all seem to cause a stepping of the parameter when being raised but sweep smoothly when being lowered.

It sounds so nice and fits the bill of what I want so well that I think I'm just going to see it as a quirky synth rather a buggy one. Let's see if that change of view works in the long term ...

I could easily return it on the basis of it being buggy - the shop I got it from are good like that - but I really don't think I will. It's too good a combo of usable sounds and great sequencer. Variable glide per step? Gate length per step? These alone make it stand out, without having per-step locking of almost everything else.
Old 25th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Has anyone heard any news if we are ever getting any more Manther OS updates?Not much info coming out of Malekko for ages.

Still enjoy using it despite some quirks and bugs.
Old 5th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

"12 months ago.
Hello,
Yes, we are beta testing a new os for the Manther now, and this also has slider improvements. We hope to release this very soon.
Are you currently at the latest firmware? V1.2? We've been improving slider feel with every update."

This is what I got as reply when I was asking for some slider improvement. Was a year ago
Old 7th July 2021
Gear Addict

I wrote to ask them about firmware updates yesterday as I just ordered a new Manther. Below is their response sent today.

Hello ima_jrk
The short answer is yes.
We now have a beta version which smoothes the slider input, along with a few other improvements...
Thanks for asking!
Old 11th July 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

So based on the promised beta, I decided to take the leap and order a Manther, however, it's not staying. Synth firmware was updated to 1.2.

First, for those curious, look at the spectrogram of the slider sampling - you can clearly see the stepping in the waveform while opening the fully resonating filter and see that it is smoother, but not smooth, coming down.

However, I don't believe the sampling issue is just on the VCF - it's just the most noticeable. If you see my second screen shot, look at the fundamental - everywhere you see a horizontal line in the fundamental is when the volume jumped as the Manther picked up the next value as i increased the amplitude of the saw.

Next, the filter doesn't open all the way with the VCF control seems to open to about 13-14K - I have never worked with an original 101 or 202, so I don't know if this is faithful to the original or not, but if you look at the spectrum of a high note, you'll see the bottom half of the spectrogram is missing harmonics with the filter all the way open until I activate the key tracking.

Finally, it seems most of the sliders don’t actually start affecting their parameters until at least 20% up their range which means that I don’t get the full range of the slider.
Attached Thumbnails
Malekko Manther Mono Synth-manther_filter_jump.jpg   Malekko Manther Mono Synth-manther_mixer_jump.jpg   Malekko Manther Mono Synth-manther_filter_range.jpg  
Old 26th January 2022
Here for the gear

Manther

The manther in my opinion is an absolutely amazing monosynth the general default sound is quite dirty and that for me makes it seem like a much more powerful ..... I love the wave table folder on the triangle saw wave and also I have not really experienced the same bugs that other people have I know that occasionally a piece of complicated electronic Equipment may have moments where it freaks out and you have to restart it and the manther does do that sometimes ... but its a great synth and i defo dig the p locks and sequencer in general
Old 9th February 2022 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Love my Manther, but I'm having problems getting it to sync to clock over Midi from Logic.

I've set the clock source in the Manther menu to midi - I don't think there's anything else to change on the Manther? - so it must be something to do with my project sync settings in Logic. I've set the clock to output on the midi port that the Manther is connected to. I'm not sure what else to set re clock mode and MMC etc.

I just want Manther to start and stop when Logic starts and stops, and to keep in time. Is that even possible?

If someone has this working would they mind sharing a screenshot of their Logic Project Sync settings and preferences? Thanks!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterharrison ➡️
Love my Manther, but I'm having problems getting it to sync to clock over Midi from Logic.

I've set the clock source in the Manther menu to midi - I don't think there's anything else to change on the Manther? - so it must be something to do with my project sync settings in Logic. I've set the clock to output on the midi port that the Manther is connected to. I'm not sure what else to set re clock mode and MMC etc.

I just want Manther to start and stop when Logic starts and stops, and to keep in time. Is that even possible?

If someone has this working would they mind sharing a screenshot of their Logic Project Sync settings and preferences? Thanks!
Just spotted elsewhere that after changing the clock source you need to restart the machine.
Going to try that when I get home.
Still keen to see details on the Sync settings in Logic...?
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterharrison ➡️
Just spotted elsewhere that after changing the clock source you need to restart the machine.
Going to try that when I get home.
Still keen to see details on the Sync settings in Logic...?
I don't use Logic, but can confirm sync works fine with Digital Performer.

I have to set DP to Transmit Sync via the channel the Manther is set to.

Hopefully that helps.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I can confirm that the Manther is tracking Logic perfectly after a reboot. Clearly after changing the clock input to Midi you have to restart it. It then responds to start/stop messages and keeps time beautifully.
Lots of fun!
Old 20th September 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxdoctor ➡️
"12 months ago.
Hello,
Yes, we are beta testing a new os for the Manther now, and this also has slider improvements. We hope to release this very soon.
Are you currently at the latest firmware? V1.2? We've been improving slider feel with every update."

This is what I got as reply when I was asking for some slider improvement. Was a year ago
I'm considering to get one of these, but i'm noticing that another year and something passed by and they're still at version 1.2 - https://malekkoheavyindustry.com/sup...s-and-support/

I'll hold on a bit more, hoping they'll release an update to narrow down some of the bugs reported here ... but it's a bit odd that more than 2 years passed without any update at all.
Old 26th September 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUCA81 ➡️
I'm considering to get one of these, but i'm noticing that another year and something passed by and they're still at version 1.2 - https://malekkoheavyindustry.com/sup...s-and-support/

I'll hold on a bit more, hoping they'll release an update to narrow down some of the bugs reported here ... but it's a bit odd that more than 2 years passed without any update at all.
yes, it is a nice piece of gear, and I hear you.
perhaps you try to contact them and ask if they plan to release a new FW soon.
the more the merrier...
Old 30th September 2022
Gear Head

…and 1.3B is out now, you see…

https://malekkoheavyindustry.com/con....3beta.wav.zip
Old 30th September 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Just updated and all seems to be working fine.

Some nice updates!

For updating, I have found a louder signal works better. Went directly out of a MacBook with the vol of the Mac set 1 click lower than full.
Old 14th December 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by ima_jrk ➡️
So based on the promised beta, I decided to take the leap and order a Manther, however, it's not staying. Synth firmware was updated to 1.2.

First, for those curious, look at the spectrogram of the slider sampling - you can clearly see the stepping in the waveform while opening the fully resonating filter and see that it is smoother, but not smooth, coming down.

However, I don't believe the sampling issue is just on the VCF - it's just the most noticeable. If you see my second screen shot, look at the fundamental - everywhere you see a horizontal line in the fundamental is when the volume jumped as the Manther picked up the next value as i increased the amplitude of the saw.

Next, the filter doesn't open all the way with the VCF control seems to open to about 13-14K - I have never worked with an original 101 or 202, so I don't know if this is faithful to the original or not, but if you look at the spectrum of a high note, you'll see the bottom half of the spectrogram is missing harmonics with the filter all the way open until I activate the key tracking.

Finally, it seems most of the sliders don’t actually start affecting their parameters until at least 20% up their range which means that I don’t get the full range of the slider.
Could anyone check if these issues are still present with the new firmware update?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

Neat
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head
Seems like it's discontinued ...
https://www.thomann.de/ro/malekko_manther.htm
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUCA81 ➡️
Seems like it's discontinued ...
https://www.thomann.de/ro/malekko_manther.htm
...but Malekko still has it on their webpage...
📝 Reply