The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI: Prophet 08 REV 2
Old 20th January 2017
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
no subs on the new one?
they were missing in the original Prophet 08

that's why I got 2 Tetras in polychain mode to have a very portable Prophet 08 with subs and cheaper
both modules fit in a small flight case with I/O cables and power routed to a single cable or an internal battery pack
use Tetra editor on my iPad for a complete portable system (more MIDI sequencing and looping on the iPad as well)
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Major disappointment from my perspective. I suspect dave had to follow this one through without knowledge of the deepmind 12. 16 poly p8 is better represented by 4 tetras. Shame on you dave.
The AS1 on the other hand looks like it will sell and i like the fact there is an option to own a 1 voice P6 for 480 quid. I also like the fact that dave chose a p6 voice vs ob6 voice.
but it is all rehashed sh1t.

Namm 2017 is thus far....

Old 20th January 2017
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Looks good to me. The Prophet 08 is a modern classic (don't know why it gets so much hate here) and this fixes pretty much all the issues the issues the original had. And 16 voices is amazing. I have many two-layer patches on the 08 that would be great with an extra 8 voices.

The layout looks much better too, looks like it's taken some design notes from the later DSI synths.
Old 20th January 2017
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Did the Prophet 8 have the same filter as the Mono evolver keys..??
Old 20th January 2017 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdafunk ➑️
Is it possible to use it as 2 seperate layers just like the prophet 08 but instead of 4 voices you can now use 8 voices on the Rev2 when using layers?

So that means you could have 4 osc in a patch?

Edit: nevermind found it on davesmithinstruments.com:
'stack two 8-voice sounds for massive, complex textures'

That is seriously MASSIVE. Seeing as the P08 is one of my favorite synthesizers of all time I might have ti buy the Rev2 now.
But am afraid the studio will look like a Dsi showroom lol.
Yeah, it seems like it's basically two stacked (original 8 voice) P08s -- plus the enhanced mod matrix, the variable waveforms + shape mod, and the effects section. Personally I don't think I'd ever take it out of layered mode; 8 (layered) voices is plenty for chords and most strings/pads

There's an awful lot to like here. I get that the Curtis filter's aren't everyone's thing, but the added layering and waveshape modulation capabilities should be able to take this places the P08 couldn't go, sound design-wise. To me this is now a seriously full-featured workhorse synth.

I have the OB6, and while I love the sound and would never sell it, it sure would be nice to have the extensive 'bread and butter' options on offer with the REV2. I mean, the OB6 has just 1 LFO, while the REV2 has 4, plus the third envelope, which is loopable...plus delay+ADSR, etc etc.

Not sure if I'll pick one up since I have the OB, but it's certainly intriguing. With all the polyphony and the extensive feature set, I imagine you could program some fantastic sounds out of it.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingVidiot ➑️
no subs on the new one?

that's why I got 2 Tetras in polychain mode to have a very portable Prophet 08 with subs and cheaper
both modules fit in a small flight case with I/O cables and power routed to a single cable or an internal battery pack
use Tetra editor on my iPad for a complete portable system (more MIDI sequencing and looping on the iPad as well)
There is definitely a sub on this one. The website specs are off.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiller ➑️
Major disappointment from my perspective. I suspect dave had to follow this one through without knowledge of the deepmind 12. 16 poly p8 is better represented by 4 tetras. Shame on you dave.
He said in the interview with SoS at NAMM that this thing was only 6-7 months in the making, since all the framework was already there. When was the Deepmind leaked?

Why would 4 tetras be better off? Aside from an extra sub oscillator, what else are we missing?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I see the "VCA Level" knob from the P08 is gone in the REV2! Was I the only one who loved that thing? Where else could one add a DC floor to the VCA envelope (other than modular)? Nice for ambient and drones. I hope the functionality is still buried in the menus somewhere since the patches are supposed to be convertable.

Nice to see the REV2 from DSI, and good to know that Dave DOES acknowledge that the P08 is a great synth in it's own style. Now I know if my P08 irreparably dies on me there is a fine replacement.

The price is really very much the best part - the new 8-voice is priced lower than what I originally paid for my P08.

Edit: eXode posted the high-res front panel pic a few pages ago in case anyone missed it:
https://www.davesmithinstruments.com...Top.png?a7b05e
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz ➑️
Did the Prophet 8 have the same filter as the Mono evolver keys..??

yes, LP filter was exact same chip.

tho evolver series followed the DCO and Digi oscillators and the analog filter with an ADC, then it implemented highpass filter, vca, env, feedbacks adn everything else in digital domain, before shooting out from main DAC to the output. different from the classic "hybrid" audio paththat he reintroduced on P2 and P12... which means digital oscillators and then out to analog filter and vca to outputs. no return to digital on the way out once it goes analog.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theJPdude ➑️
He said in the interview with SoS at NAMM that this thing was only 6-7 months in the making, since all the framework was already there. When was the Deepmind leaked?

Why would 4 tetras be better off? Aside from an extra sub oscillator, what else are we missing?
There's a subosc in the REV2 in the pics.

I think the Tetras are multitimbral so that's one advantage. But man what a pain that would be with the limited knobs and the UI. I think the 4 Tetras would cost about the same even at used prices...might as well go for the REV2 at that point.

I was thinking, this is sort of like a beefed up, modern JX10/MKS70 with the Vecoven mod (the one where they add PWM and extra features). That was another analog poly that had layering capability, with enough voices (12) to basically make layering part of the core sound design process on the synth. Different sound but same concept.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theJPdude ➑️
Feedback, and maybe 4-part multitimbrality I suppose.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingVidiot ➑️

no subs on the new one?
It's right there.

Deleted User
It really depends which gets past the tundra and igloos off the ice roads, and gets in shops in Canada. Both DM12 and Rev2 are not available here yet.

Both have the advantages, but I am partial to mod matrixes, so the DM12 is leading in my head right now. But my head does not buy synths, my heart (and my pocketbook do!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEK8D ➑️

They are both fine synths, priced to sell, with similar features and definitely different sounds to them both.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Meh I have a P08 already GAS attack averted.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionid ➑️
Dave is a great synth maker... not the best keyboard player :(
He says the same thing about himself regularly during demos.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillloyd ➑️
There's a subosc in the REV2 in the pics.

I think the Tetras are multitimbral so that's one advantage. But man what a pain that would be with the limited knobs and the UI. I think the 4 Tetras would cost about the same even at used prices...might as well go for the REV2 at that point.

I was thinking, this is sort of like a beefed up, modern JX10/MKS70 with the Vecoven mod (the one where they add PWM and extra features). That was another analog poly that had layering capability, with enough voices (12) to basically make layering part of the core sound design process on the synth. Different sound but same concept.
Ah - good connection on the JX-10. I've got one with the Vecoven epROM and have to say, it's really great to be able to layer two different tones. You can get some really nice evolving patches that way (even without a heck of a lot of modulation options.)
Old 20th January 2017
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I bought a Prophet 08 about two weeks ago, here's to hoping that Guitar Center accepts my return since it's within the 30 days. Is it worth it for the new REV 2? I haven't had time to discover all the issues, but I've encountered some wobbly knobs (even though mine is a PE) and this new one looks sturdier and more modern.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
After listening to the sound cloud examples, he may not have won Namm 2017, but I do believe he is going to win my money...

REV2 fixes several things for me: FX, more logical layout of the knobs. The variable waveshapes. The curtis filter doesnt grate as much on this one, that could be because of the sub balancing out the tone, or maybe the fx.
(personal bias, I prefer more subdued tones, not as much brassy). Even more mod destinations.

Neat how the lfos can modulate the FX

I don't need the Prophet 6 now. This will do it nicely even at 8 voices.

Now, I must eye up what to sell..... my old nord lead should be nervous.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
In case anybody was wondering, I can confirm that the REV2 has the same high quality Fatar keybed as on the Prophet~6 and OB-6.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Scott, you read my mind. Were you at NAMM?
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wozniak ➑️
In case anybody was wondering, I can confirm that the REV2 has the same high quality Fatar keybed as on the Prophet~6 and OB-6.
Nice

So no danger of it being uneven and bent out of shape unlike some out there
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsetto ➑️
Scott, you read my mind. Were you at NAMM?
No. I'm in New York but I have eyes everywhere
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wozniak ➑️
Even though I'm not that great of a keyboardist by any means, I highly value a quality keybed on a poly synth.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimulkan ➑️
I see the "VCA Level" knob from the P08 is gone in the REV2! Was I the only one who loved that thing?
Good catch! That was an interesting feature, and not a typical one to say the least. It was on my Evo Keys too. It looks like its not there.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjit ➑️
I bought a Prophet 08 about two weeks ago, here's to hoping that Guitar Center accepts my return since it's within the 30 days. Is it worth it for the new REV 2? I haven't had time to discover all the issues, but I've encountered some wobbly knobs (even though mine is a PE) and this new one looks sturdier and more modern.
I think the "issues" people are mentioning, were less problems, and more like things most people just wished for, that have been improved upon. Guitar Center will take it back. Is it worth it? Up to you, and depends on what you paid for it. If the 8 voice Rev2 new is less than what you got it for, than yeah, I would take it back. You could always take it back, buy 2nd hand, which prices will drop even more now, and go buy yourself an Eventide box or two, which will sound great! I know that despite the FX on the Rev2, I'll have the H9Max sitting in between it and the convertors for sure.

The FX parameters as mod destinations is way cool, for sure. Things will get whacky in a hurry.

I don't understand at all how four poly-chained Tetras is in anyway an ideal setup? You're missing all of the knobs, a keybed, mod/pitch wheels, and aren't the Tetras still a bit buggy? Not to mention that while they are still DCO's they are completely different with waveform modulation on all waveforms.

Again, the Sub Osc is THERE!!! The website doesn't include its presence on the specs, but there is clearly a Sub knob on the interface, and it allears its sub osc per voice. So basically if you must, that's 3 oscillators per voice, at 16 voices, for a total of 48 DCO's. If you can't get anything remotely phat out of that, than thats your problem.
Old 20th January 2017
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Just for the crack id like to hear all 16 voices in unison with an lfo modulating pitch and another in the waveshaper eeeeeevvvvvvver so slightly
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Again, some of the soundcloud demos which sound most dry still seem to sound a little different from the original P08. I think something in the additions might have slightly altered the core sound , but if it has whether this was a conscious decision from DSI I have no idea.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell r. ➑️
Again, some of the soundcloud demos which sound most dry still seem to sound a little different from the original P08. I think something in the additions may have slightly altered the core sound , but as to whether this was a conscious decision from DSI I have no idea.
Considering that I always felt the Tetra I had sounded slightly different to the P'08 with the same patch, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was slightly altered. It'll be interesting to hear if the effects take any of the edge off the filter.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yup, I remember that discussion at the time. This time I think the difference is even more obvious though, intentionally or not. Having listened to the soundcloud demo that sounds the most dry of all, I just switched back to some old dry PO8 demos DSI had posted on soundcloud, and there's no question that the original sounded harsher, narrower, and with fewer overtones.

Last edited by wendell r.; 20th January 2017 at 10:56 AM..
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The new demos sounds way better than the old. I never liked the Prophet08, I bought a Prophet6 instead, but the Rev2 sounds like a different synth. Maybe the sub plus effects are the cause.
πŸ“ Reply