The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Eventide H9000
Old 1 week ago
  #601
Lives for gear
 
Hmmm ... it's disappointing that the "flagship" might "eventually" get the same functionalities of the dot9 pedals, and so little else developed for the strengths of that ...
Is Eventide more focussed on re-hashing it's past success than leading new developments?
(squashed laurel leaves?)
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #602
Lives for gear
 
OurDarkness's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyB ➡️
Is Eventide more focussed on re-hashing it's past success than leading new developments?
(squashed laurel leaves?)
When the H9000 was introduced, the need to be backwards compatible with the huge library of algorithms and presets available became apparent so I guess it's good that they ported so many of them.

But, as it seems, nothing really new is developed. Why not granular effects, more filter modules, better phaser modules or a new sampler module plus the additional presets to show that new stuff? Why not a vocoder or some boolean logic modules with adjustable thresholds for audio processing?
Old 1 week ago
  #603
Lives for gear
 
Granular would be really interesting, and more complex and modulated filter options - Boolean options there would add lots ... I think of the H9000 as an instrument in itself, especially when it comes to ambient sound scapes ... it's not just a glorified pedal rack.
Vocoder is a niche I'm not sure I'm too interested in... but perhaps I could be persuaded? !
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #604
Gear Maniac
 
Yes please to granular synthesis! That's a 100% digital technology - the FX to finish sounds are obviously immediately at hand... That would be fantastic.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #605
Lives for gear
 
oldgearguy's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyB ➡️
Granular would be really interesting, and more complex and modulated filter options - Boolean options there would add lots ... I think of the H9000 as an instrument in itself, especially when it comes to ambient sound scapes ... it's not just a glorified pedal rack.
Vocoder is a niche I'm not sure I'm too interested in... but perhaps I could be persuaded? !
There was a vocoder in the H8000 but it was broken.
There are two in the H9000 (6810, 6811) as well as 2 special FX variants (8120, 8121).

I haven't tried them to see if/how they work. The H8000 problem (among many) was the level was low and you could send signals into only 1 input and still hear it so clearly actual vocoding wasn't being done.

(plus it sounded like crap when you did get anything out of it)
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
  #606
Gear Addict
 
Ed Driscoll's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orville71 ➡️
Yes this is still on our to-do list, just not something we were able to get to for this release.
Is there any timetable for when the remaining H8000 algorithms will be ported over? (Or read "more of the H8000 algorithms" if there are technical limitations preventing all of them from coming over.)
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
  #607
Eventide Audio
 
Orville71's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Driscoll ➡️
Is there any timetable for when the remaining H8000 algorithms will be ported over? (Or read "more of the H8000 algorithms" if there are technical limitations preventing all of them from coming over.)
Sorry, there is currently no ETA for when the rest of the H8000 algorithms will be available on the H9000. Here is a thread from our rackmount forum that can provide you with some technical details regarding this: https://www.eventideaudio.com/commen...#comment-40310
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #608
Gear Addict
 
Ed Driscoll's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orville71 ➡️
Sorry, there is currently no ETA for when the rest of the H8000 algorithms will be available on the H9000. Here is a thread from our rackmount forum that can provide you with some technical details regarding this: https://www.eventideaudio.com/commen...#comment-40310
Thanks!
Old 4 days ago
  #609
Lives for gear
 
surflounge's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I am excited to purchase an Eventide H9000 to be used specifically for mono to stereo conversion duty.
My recordings are all done in mono on location. Then in studio need to transform into stereo using the Eventide H9000.
What are the best settings for this, thank you. I do not use computer, just straight from recorder through the Eventide H9000 to output.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #610
Eventide Audio
 
Orville71's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by surflounge ➡️
I am excited to purchase an Eventide H9000 to be used specifically for mono to stereo conversion duty.
My recordings are all done in mono on location. Then in studio need to transform into stereo using the Eventide H9000.
What are the best settings for this, thank you. I do not use computer, just straight from recorder through the Eventide H9000 to output.
The H9000 has dedicated algorithms for mono>stereo processing and stereo width enhancement. A good option for what you're trying to do would be #7818 Stereo Simulator.

You can check out the full algorithm list here: https://downloads.eventide.com/audio...thmsManual.pdf

Page 273 shows some "Spatialization" algorithms and page 333 shows "Mix Tools" algorithms.

Beyond that, the H9000 has a very flexible internal routing structure that would allow you to take your mono signal and process in various ways to achieve stereo effects.
Old 4 days ago
  #611
Lives for gear
 
Squawk's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Does anyone else experience frequent disconnections over Ethernet with the standalone version of Emote?

I have no issues with the emote plugin (it’s very stable) so it’s not really a big deal.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #612
Eventide Audio
 
Orville71's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk ➡️
Does anyone else experience frequent disconnections over Ethernet with the standalone version of Emote?

I have no issues with the emote plugin (it’s very stable) so it’s not really a big deal.
What version of Emote are you using? Are you using Windows or Mac and what OS version are you on? Are these background disconnections (when the app is out of focus) or does it disconnect while actively using the app?

This is a bug that was fixed in the Emote 2.0 beta version for most OS versions but we are still working on a fix to address some situation where it is still happening. Sorry for the inconvenience but any additional info you can provide will be useful for us to fix this issue.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #613
Lives for gear
 
Squawk's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I’m on the latest 2 beta (Big Sur). I did also let support know on a ticket. It times out with the app active, although idle. I’ll test it again today.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #614
Gear Addict
 
DEVO1982's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orville71 ➡️
Hi everyone,

We are happy to announce that H9000 2.0 beta version is now officially available to the public! This introduces a complete overhaul of the Emote UI, Scenes for Emote and H9000R users, and a much improved update system to simplify future updates. Please see our forum post for complete details and update instructions:
https://www.eventideaudio.com/commun...20-public-beta

We encourage all H9000 users to try out this beta firmware release and provide any feedback you may have on our rackmount forum page.

Thanks and happy beta!
I was able to upgrade my H9000 to v2.0 software without incident via USB stick on the front of the unit. Then I updated my Remote software and I’m really liking the new ‘all at once’ view of everything.
I have been using it for a few days now and it’s been very stable and refreshing to be able to see everything at once, make this unit very intuitive and satisfying.

Edit: I forgot to say that I’m on Mac OSX Big Sur connected via Ethernet using Remote as a Plug-in while running Pro Tools.

Last edited by DEVO1982; 4 days ago at 05:07 AM.. Reason: More information
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #615
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
In a youtube demo of the H9000, there was annoying parameter stepping when using the data entry wheel on the hardware.

For that price point, that is not acceptable. Smoothing that out in software is the minimum I would expect if I were an owner.
Higher resolution encoders would be more appropriate.

I hope that at some point I can buy one, but this issue would be a hair in the soup.

At 0:26 there is crackling
At 0:30 there seem to be those parameter jumps
At 1:07 again a parameter jump and some crackling artefact noise

Last edited by blue monk; 4 days ago at 10:48 AM..
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #616
Lives for gear
 
italo de angelis's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue monk ➡️
In a youtube demo of the H9000, there was annoying parameter stepping when using the data entry wheel on the hardware.

For that price point, that is not acceptable. Smoothing that out in software is the minimum I would expect if I were an owner.
Higher resolution encoders would be more appropriate.

I hope that at some point I can buy one, but this issue would be a hair in the soup.
It's possible you have watched something that shows a parameter being formatted in a different way. Knobs can be created and working with different tapers or steppings, so you noticed that.
I do not own an H9000 but knowing all the previous machines I don't expect an encoder issue like you claim.
Would be useful to watch that demo you are talking about...
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #617
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by italo de angelis ➡️
Would be useful to watch that demo you are talking about...
I added it to my post
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #618
Lives for gear
 
italo de angelis's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue monk ➡️
I added it to my post
Ok... that has nothing to do with what you described. It's not the encoder or its resolution.
When you are changing DIFFSIZE or REVERBSIZE you are changing several delay lines times and you get that zipper noise. It's a common "issue" on several fx processors as in general you do not change those parameters in realtime.
Software_wise those delay lines could be interpolated to avoid the zipper noise, making those modules (REVERB and DIFF) heavier in computational load. The H9000 should be fine though so interpolation could be added.
Be aware that ambient reverbs are WAAAAY much nicer and better if using the PLEX running several moddelay lines... which are all interpolated... so that zipper won't happen. It takes to get to know these units well to know what one can do and how....

Actually---
the zipper noise you hear is in the diffusor only. Those delays are not interpolated.
Changing the reverb size creates pitch shifting because those delays ARE interpolated as they should be in a modulated reverb. So it's natural you get that kind of "effect". I haven't heard a modulated reverb NOT producing pitch shifting IF its SIZE is changed while audio is in the delays buffers. Can't do that. The PLEX would do the same.
Try any digital modulated delay and change its time... and you'll get the same. Basic stuff!

BUT...
the reverb modules have delay gliding parameters! Those were created to avoid or minimize pitch "artifacts" by slowing down the time it takes for a delay to go from a value X to another one. By learning how GLIDE works... one can get rid of those pitch things... so... whoever used the H9000 in that video... ain't one of those who RTFM!!!

Last edited by italo de angelis; 4 days ago at 03:12 PM..
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #619
Lives for gear
 
drockfresh's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
The Eventide algos and implementation in the Moog One are pretty meh

That's makes me not even go near modern Eventide

Perhaps this H9000 sounds heaps better...?
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 495 views: 43412
Avatar for Gerry_Tross
Gerry_Tross 24th December 2020
replies: 2352 views: 397643
Avatar for didier.brest
didier.brest 6 hours ago
replies: 77 views: 10253
Avatar for Looneytune
Looneytune 11th September 2013
replies: 68 views: 17835
Avatar for The Press Desk
The Press Desk 12th October 2017
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump