Quantcast
Anyone use Korg SQ1 with logic? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone use Korg SQ1 with logic?
Old 5th December 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Anyone use Korg SQ1 with logic?

The SQ1 looks like a decent sequencer for the price, has anyone used it with Logic 9 or X to send midi clock so you can record the synth in time with logic tracks, Judging from the information about it, that's what it's meant to do?
Old 5th December 2016
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Works fine with midi clock which converts to cv to control hardware if required

It has two midi options when plugged in via usb , sq1 sync and sq1 control

In cubase, I would expect it be exactly the same in logic........
Old 5th December 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Be careful though: when it accepts MIDI clock, it cannot output MIDI notes, only CV. And you cannot transpose a sequence over MIDI.
Old 5th December 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Sure i just need it for the timing. Thanks.
Old 5th December 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Btw Can you sequence two synths from the SQ1 or is it one? Would it have to be midi thru to control the second one?
Old 6th December 2016
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
It has two sets of cv out so yes. 2 is fine

Both will need to be the same type of voltage though that's the only drawback if you can call it that

Last edited by Jamie munro; 6th December 2016 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: More info
Old 6th December 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro ➑️
It has two sets of cv out so yes. 2 is fine

Both will need to be the same type of voltage though that's the only drawback if you can call it that
I think @ Johncameron1 meant sequencing via MIDI. And the answer to that is yes, you can sequence two synths via MIDI from the SQ1 as long as you can live with the following limitations:
- only 8-steps per synth when sequencing two synths separately (the same is true when using CV though)
- the MIDI channels are always one channel number apart, so you have to be able to set the MIDI channels on the synth you're controlling accordingly
- There is no SLIDE when sequencing with MIDI
- There is only one MIDI output, so you will either need a MIDI splitter box or MIDI THRU on one of the devices you are sequencing

In general, the SQ1 makes much more sense as a sequencer for CV gear IMO.
Old 9th January 2017
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi,

I've started to use the sq1 with Logic X and yes it does sync with the project.
However I've ran into issues, maybe someone knows what I'm doing wrong?

When sequencing my Roland JP8000 via midi from the SQ1 synced with Logic, it does not play the sequence, but when I pause the logic project, meaning the SQ1 does not receive sync info from logic, it does play.

Also, when sequencing my Roland SH101 via CV / gate from the SQ1 (with or without sync from Logic), it works for a brief moment but the volume decreases and the sound fades out. Basically I press play on the SQ1 and the sequence starts playing but fades out in a matter of seconds. It's like the sequence is affecting volume, which I find very odd.
(for info, the onboard sequencer of the SH101 works fine and I'm using eurorack type mono cables for CV and Gate.)

Anybody knows what's going on ? Any help is much much appreciated.
Old 9th January 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolique ➑️
When sequencing my Roland JP8000 via midi from the SQ1 synced with Logic, it does not play the sequence, but when I pause the logic project, meaning the SQ1 does not receive sync info from logic, it does play.
When synched from incoming MIDI, the SQ-1 will not output MIDI, only CV. This was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Quote:
when sequencing my Roland SH101 via CV / gate from the SQ1 (with or without sync from Logic), it works for a brief moment but the volume decreases and the sound fades out. It's like the sequence is affecting volume, which I find very odd.
With only CV and gate you cannot control volume, so you are probably having an issue with EG triggering. Does changing the envelope release affect how fast the sound fades?

The 101 EG has a choice of Gate (EG only fires if no keys are held when a new key is played) or Gate + Trig (EG fires when any key is played even if others are held), have you tried both modes?

If the duty cycle of the SQ-1 is 100%, it's possible that in Gate mode the 101 will not retrigger the EG. Try reducing the duty cycle (DUTY knob).
Old 9th January 2017
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I see. I didn't realise thats what it meant. So that means when getting midi sync I can't sequence any of my midi keyboards? I find it crazy... There's no point having a sequence that isn't synced to my project so I'm stuck with CV I guess.

Unless... If I midi sync my Volca FM with Logic, then use the Sync Out from the volca plugged in the Sync In of the sequencer. Am I getting around this issue? I might have to try that even though it's a complicated way of doing a task that's supposed to be straightforward.

I wonder why Korg didn't include Midi sync+Midi out as an option? I know it's a very cheap limited sequencer but... I would think most people who own synths with CV are more likely to already own better sequencers..

Regarding the 101, I have tried the 2 modes of GE with no luck.
I might have to try reducing the duty cycle, I don't fully understand what that is though? (Edit: Ok it's basically gate length if I understand well..)

Anyways cheers for the help
Old 9th January 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
There's no point having a sequence that isn't synced to my project so I'm stuck with CV I guess.
Makes sense to me...the SQ-1 was designed for CV gear, the MIDI out is just a freebie.

Quote:
If I midi sync my Volca FM with Logic, then use the Sync Out from the volca plugged in the Sync In of the sequencer. Am I getting around this issue?
yes

Quote:
I don't fully understand what that is though? (Edit: Ok it's basically gate length if I understand well..)
Many sequencers treat gate length of 100% as a tie. If the gate never goes low, that could cause the behavior you described.

Have you ever tweaked the duty knob?
Old 10th January 2017
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
No I just didn't know what the duty knob was since it was the first time using the SQ1.

It all worked, the SH101 is acting as it should now and I did manage to make the midi work with the Volca workaround, not ideal but not really a problem.
Thanks for your help !
Old 30th October 2017
Here for the gear

hi,
Quote:
I did manage to make the midi work with the Volca workaround, not ideal but not really a problem.
Can you share some details on your setup? I tried to connect like DAW -> MIDI interface -> Volca FM MIDI-in -> Volca Fm Sync-out -> SQ-1 Sync-in but it doesn't solve the problem of not hearing sequence of SQ-1... Do I need to connect its' MIDI-out via MIDI-interface back to DAW?
Old 30th October 2017
Here for the gear

So what I ended up is -
  • connect SQ-1 to DAW via USB
  • sync out Volca to sync in SQ-1
  • set tempo in Volca with the same value as in DAW
  • hit record in DAW
  • hit start in SQ-1

Probably not ideal solution but works at least.
πŸ“ Reply