The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MPC Live
Old 25th September 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Kind of confused how List Edit isn't what you are looking for for half of this...As said earlier, in the older MPCs it was called Step Edit -- and I've noticed it was a loooot easier to use than List Edit IMO. But I think you should try inputing notes via List Edit and you might be pleasantly surprised. I think essentially what you are looking for is commonly called "SH-101 Style Sequencing" from many people. It can be done.

Question for others about List Edit: On the 60, inputing notes via Step Edit gave you exact note length/tick values according to what TC value you had set, any way to do this in List Edit? Was incredibly useful for basslines, or gated chord type stuff.
Old 25th September 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnochLight ➡️
Without actual disk-streaming (like on Force), MPC will always truncate recorded audio to 4 minutes 59 seconds. And yeah, sampling affords you up to 20 minutes in a take (or maybe 19 minutes, 59 seconds), but obviously that doesn't help audio track recording.

Not sure why Akai is holding out adding disk-streaming to the MPC. The hardware can easily handle it (as it's the exact same hardware as Force, save for the Key 61 which has double the RAM). I know the lack of true 1:1 track relation might be one issue, and the lack of an Arranger the other. Changing both or one of those things will drastically change the workflow of the MPC, and that might not be an area they want to F with.
It's my biggest gripe with this machine...I'm sick of worrying about RAM while making Live sets, it feels like I'm using a 1000 still at times. Living in the past. And it's a true annoyance because of exactly what you said, it CAN be done, they're just holding out on us. I don't think people buy a Force because of the Disk Streaming, they buy it for its interface and workflow.
That being said, I know someone who is close with some of the main dev's, and was told it is coming to the MPC line by the end of the year (I know, "friend of a friend", but it's something ).
Did anyone see the leak of a supposed Moog Model D plugin being added? Could be fake, but makes me think there's another update coming soon, probably around the holidays.
Old 26th September 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancaja123 ➡️
And it's a true annoyance because of exactly what you said, it CAN be done, they're just holding out on us.
Yeah, it does make me bang my head on the desk at times. That said, I don't think it's Akai holding out on us - I truly think it's because changing things to true 1:1 track relation and adding the Arranger will literally destroy the MPC's workflow, and despite the annoyances and oftentimes unnecessary complexity, there are so many die-hard MPC heads that love the (current) workflow that it could be detrimental to the product IMHO. Personally, I would love for them to keep the workflow but offer the Arranger and 1:1 tracks as an "option".

Quote:
That being said, I know someone who is close with some of the main dev's, and was told it is coming to the MPC line by the end of the year (I know, "friend of a friend", but it's something ). .

Well, lets hope they're right - but I have my reservations (for the reasons mentioned above).

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Did anyone see the leak of a supposed Moog Model D plugin being added? Could be fake, but makes me think there's another update coming soon, probably around the holidays.
The fake Moog model D might be fake……its the times we are living i tell ya!!!!!!!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs ➡️
The fake Moog model D might be fake……its the times we are living i tell ya!!!!!!!
That same 'leak' also showed FW version 2.11.5.9 which doesn't make much sense. That would mean they are seriously lagging when releasing firmware, if they just released 2.11.4 and they've already blown past that many builds internally and are at 2.11.5.9.

I know they do tend to work way ahead of the curve, but with Akai's track record, I just dont think the devs are that far ahead unless they're bumping build numbers for every minute little tweak they do.

Or who knows, maybe they're back on track and up to speed again??
Old 27th September 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralBody ➡️
As the MPC supports boths drum and synth it would be great, if it offers to Step Seq Modes (Drum-Step-Seq-Mode & Synth-Step-Seq-Mode) .

I was asking if the MPC has a "Synth-Step-Sequencer Mode" somewhere hidden.

Maybe the step recording for synth could be an option in the grid view.
I emailed & pm'd Dan from Akai almost begging (lol) for this feature years ago. Being able to transpose sequences from a midi keyboard after the fact would be icing on the cake!

If they did step record in grid view, I would be very excited. It's real clunky and not very intuitive in the list edit. They keep putting out great updates for MPC so I'm sure it's possible down the road. We just need to keep asking for it.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I've given up on Akai for now... Once I seen the lack of common sense on the updates, then the Akai MPCKey... I clocked out... Still on 2.10 I think or whatever.. I usually just use it to control other equipment. Really wish they would fix up some things instead of keep trying to create and sell new products, but thats me...
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZero ➡️
I emailed & pm'd Dan from Akai almost begging (lol) for this feature years ago. Being able to transpose sequences from a midi keyboard after the fact would be icing on the cake!

If they did step record in grid view, I would be very excited. It's real clunky and not very intuitive in the list edit. They keep putting out great updates for MPC so I'm sure it's possible down the road. We just need to keep asking for it.
it would take a bit of effort but be great to make a campaign by listing a few things that most users can agree on are ideal and realistic to be updated/fixed within a close future.

If we could pull off such a thing and stick to that im sure Akai would take it into consideration. So when that list is accomplished, then a vote for another.

I would start with something like only 5 improvements, preferably existing functions/features that need to be addressed, the more detailed the better.

Sometimes when we are all as asking for different stuff all of the time im sure it becomes just noise to them and its understandable.

I would totally agree that the step-sequencer needs to get a grid view, or get integrated in the grid. maybe that is one common point most could agree on.

btw, the question of linear-sequencing, i thought it was something i wanted, it was a vision of something great but im not that sure anymore. And i would really hate it if the developers did finally offer it to us, put all that time and effort and then it shows its not a significant workflow improvement for the MPC, that would be a bummer. The same with disc-streaming, Im not sure its something i truly need or a priority for having a better workflow for what the MPC is.

The focus should be on the refinement of existing features and making good perfect. New stuff only based on a broad consensus among users or obviously something developers find important. But other than that, proven sh&t "only"
Old 28th September 2022 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Akais Linear sequencing is 50/50 for MPC users, you either love it or hate it.
I love it, but it could be a better still.
Old 2nd October 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Im assuming linear sequencing is referring to something like the Force arranger mode, so assuming that: I'm not sure how disk streaming is comparable to linear sequencing. Disk Streaming frees up the user from being stuck to a very small amount of ram. Linear Sequencing breaks the entire MPC workflow.

🎧 5 years
anyone else notice a new update or was I hallucinating?
Gear Maniac

Quote:
.. Im assuming linear sequencing is referring to something like the Force arranger mode ..
The sequencer in the MPC Live/X/One is one long sequence (which you can loop if you want or change to another sequence on the fly), but it's missing deeper of control over the individual track lengths etc.

It's handy for making one song per project, but terrible if you want to perform multiple songs in the same session without loading a new project.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsaipanda ➡️
The sequencer in the MPC Live/X/One is one long sequence (which you can loop if you want or change to another sequence on the fly), but it's missing deeper of control over the individual track lengths etc.

It's handy for making one song per project, but terrible if you want to perform multiple songs in the same session without loading a new project.
I agree - I just programmed a 9 song "set" in one project with 80 sequences sharing plug-ins, and it was not the right way to go (but I'm committed, the gig is this week) - much better to say Project=Song, and at least the new update has that "quick launch" panel for projects.

I regret nothing however, it was a fun project and forced me to work with limitations.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmergingStates ➡️
anyone else notice a new update or was I hallucinating?
Yeah you're hallucinating. Akai is closed, they're not releasing anything on a weekend.
Old 2nd October 2022

🎧 5 years
Thanks, I must have missed an update a while ago. I’m on 2.11.4 here
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks, I must have missed an update a while ago. I’m on 2.11.4 here
Ahh yeah, mid-August. I only remember because it was the day I tore down all my stuff on my desk to move to our new house heh. Had to sit with it on a USB drive for a couple days before I could get the MPC out and install it and still be disappointed.
mp3
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatWilson ➡️
I've given up on Akai for now... Once I seen the lack of common sense on the updates, then the Akai MPCKey... I clocked out... Still on 2.10 I think or whatever.. I usually just use it to control other equipment. Really wish they would fix up some things instead of keep trying to create and sell new products, but thats me...
If you want them to continue to support the thing you bought, then you want them to keep making new things to sell. Because that’s where they get the money to support the thing you bought.

🎧 5 years
If you have more than one machine do you have to buy more than one license? Or can you use one instance of the new plugins across all machines in your account?

Thanks.
Lives for gear

The new plugins can be used in 3 different places at once. That’s what the license gives you. For example, your MPC Live, your computer and your Akai Key 61.

Quote:
If you have more than one machine do you have to buy more than one license? Or can you use one instance of the new plugins across all machines in your account?

Thanks.
Old 3rd October 2022 | Show parent

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphNYC ➡️
The new plugins can be used in 3 different places at once. That’s what the license gives you. For example, your MPC Live, your computer and your Akai Key 61.
Thanks Ralph. Just to be clear, how about an mic live and mpc x? Or when (if) the time comes, mpc live and Force?

Because the key 61 includes them free I was wondering if it was different to purchasing them for your Live, One, X.

Cheers.
Old 3rd October 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Can a Live and 61 Key work together on a single software/plugin instance?
Old 4th October 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezowinZ ➡️
you could load the plugin on mpc 61 and sequence it on the force...
Old 5th October 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by work together. If you have Fabric on a Key 61 and not loaded anywhere else - then that is the only device able to run the plug-in. You can always sample it to another machine. Or multi-sample it. But you can’t turn on your Live and see it there as a plug-in. Or your computer. Unless you manually install the plugin there.
Lives for gear

I don’t know if there’s a difference between purchasing via the Key 61 or separately. I suspect you get 3 instances of the plugs no matter how you buy it.

Quote:
Thanks Ralph. Just to be clear, how about an mic live and mpc x? Or when (if) the time comes, mpc live and Force?

Because the key 61 includes them free I was wondering if it was different to purchasing them for your Live, One, X.

Cheers.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphNYC ➡️
Not sure what you mean by work together. If you have Fabric on a Key 61 and not loaded anywhere else - then that is the only device able to run the plug-in. You can always sample it to another machine. Or multi-sample it. But you can’t turn on your Live and see it there as a plug-in. Or your computer. Unless you manually install the plugin there.
I should've been more clear with the release of the new plugins. I'm referring to using the MPC software or the MPC plugin in my DAW. Can an MPC and Key 61 connected to the computer both control the MPC software or plugin instance?
Lives for gear

Quote:
I should've been more clear with the release of the new plugins. I'm referring to using the MPC software or the MPC plugin in my DAW. Can an MPC and Key 61 connected to the computer both control the MPC software or plugin instance?
That I don’t know. I have an MPC live and the key 61 (which I think I’ll sell) and the software installed but I never tried controlling software with both Akai units. I would think once you put an Akai hardware unit into “controller mode” that would be the only controller you could use. But never tried that.
Old 6th October 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
All this talk of X0X style step sequencing makes me realize the “drum plugins” category is remarkably empty. Though they already have a step sequencer, it would be really interesting if they did X0X/TR style *drum* sequencing on a plug-in. Even if it essentially the same engine as the drum synth (but with included + user samples) it would be a great use of the UI and touch screen capabilities. Then from there you could have the ability to save patterns, or convert them to MIDI, kind of like printing your pattern to the MPC. A half baked thought, but it would be a lot of fun
Gear Addict

Quote:
All this talk of X0X style step sequencing makes me realize the “drum plugins” category is remarkably empty. Though they already have a step sequencer, it would be really interesting if they did X0X/TR style *drum* sequencing on a plug-in. Even if it essentially the same engine as the drum synth (but with included + user samples) it would be a great use of the UI and touch screen capabilities. Then from there you could have the ability to save patterns, or convert them to MIDI, kind of like printing your pattern to the MPC. A half baked thought, but it would be a lot of fun
If you are on the beta board, you should submit a feature request.
Gear Addict

Step Recording in Grid view could should be easy to implement:

1. Select Gridview
2. Press Step Seq Button to activate Step Recording while in Grid View
3. Play Pads or attached Keyboard to enter notes.Each Note pressed advances one step.
4. Use TC Step lengt for Note length.

Something like this is really not complex.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralBody ➡️
Step Recording in Grid view could should be easy to implement:

1. Select Gridview
2. Press Step Seq Button to activate Step Recording while in Grid View
3. Play Pads or attached Keyboard to enter notes.Each Note pressed advances one step.
4. Use TC Step lengt for Note length.

Something like this is really not complex.
So go apply for one of their programmer positions and show those guys how to do it if it's so easy.
📝 Reply