Quantcast
MPC Live - Page 936 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MPC Live
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg01A ➡️
Does anyone have any advice or tips on the best settings for the auto sampler? I tried a while back to make some D-50 auto samples but I wasn't able to figure out how to get it to sound good for both pads and shorter sounds. I'm thinking I might try to make some keygroup programs from Korg gadget on the iPad but I don't want to waste my time making mediocre keygroups if I don't know how best to do it.
Yeah to tag on to what Enoch said, remember Roland has those samples already set up with loop points and whatnot in the D50, so by sampling those, you have to recreate the work Roland did to get those to play the way they do. The short hits will be easy, but when it comes to the pads and stuff, you've got all of Roland's modulation going on along with the loop setup, so those are never going to sound quite the same once they are "frozen" in a new sample. If anything uses keytracking for modulation as well, that would literally require you to sample each key in order to get it right..
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Akai and Dreadbox are in the same room at SuperBooth 2021

Really hoping we see some cross-pollination and maybe see the Dreadbox Typhon working in USB-Audio Class Compliance mode with Akai MPC. Their tables are so close to each other! Anyone going?

Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnochLight ➡️
Best storage option is any quality SSD installed into the bottom. Don’t bother with SD Cards and USB sticks IMHO. Also, do *NOT* save any Projects or samples or install Expansions on the built-in factory storage. It’s limited and you’ll run out of space fast, and that storage isn’t accessible in Computer Mode as a mounted drive so you’ll never be able to easily back your data up.
You can if you run a program that can see Linux drives. I had one for Mac and could access the internal storage. Can’t remember it’s name but there are a few different softwares that can read Linux drives
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmergingStates ➡️
You can if you run a program that can see Linux drives. I had one for Mac and could access the internal storage. Can’t remember it’s name but there are a few different softwares that can read Linux drives
Indeed, jumping through some hoops you may be able to mount the drive in Linux, but the point is - it has such limited storage that it just shouldn't be used. Akai literally doesn't want you to, otherwise they'd make mounting the drive in Windows and Mac (which most users are on) very visible. Still best to mount a proper SSD in the underside and use that for all of your storage, IMHO.

I mean, unless you want to truly get down and dirty and replace the factory SD-Card with the OS firmware and factory content with an upgraded SD-Card (say for instance, 512 Gigs or 1 TB), which is also possible with the right cloning software and technical prowess to access the built-in SD-Card on the motherboard (and be ready to void your warranty).
Here for the gear

Quote:
Indeed, jumping through some hoops you may be able to mount the drive in Linux, but the point is - it has such limited storage that it just shouldn't be used. Akai literally doesn't want you to, otherwise they'd make mounting the drive in Windows and Mac (which most users are on) very visible. Still best to mount a proper SSD in the underside and use that for all of your storage, IMHO.
Thanks for the input on the auto sampler, I'll have to watch that tubedigga video.

Should mention that while you're right about saving projects/samples etc to external storage, there are good reasons to save plugin patches and settings etc to the default location on internal storage. If you do save to the default location, they then become easily accessible from the user category in the plugin preset selection (but it's still probably worth saving it once again to external storage if you want to have it backed up)
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg01A ➡️
Should mention that while you're right about saving projects/samples etc to external storage, there are good reasons to save plugin patches and settings etc to the default location on internal storage. If you do save to the default location, they then become easily accessible from the user category in the plugin preset selection (but it's still probably worth saving it once again to external storage if you want to have it backed up)
True, and presets take up very little space (like a preset is usually less than 991 bytes or so), however; I am able to do this on my attached SSD as well just as long as the preset is saved under the "Synths" content folder under their respective plugin, and the file name follows the format "XXXX-User-Preset Name" where "XXXX" is the last number in that folder's presets existing number sequence.

Also, here's another great Auto-Sampler tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sYOcMG8IzU

Old 15 hours ago
PHG
Lives for gear

Let's say I have a sample, and I want to make 100 chops, then fine tune the start and end point on them all...

If I fine tune the start and end point on the first 50 chops, then I want to take a break and come back and do the next 50, is there a way to save my progress and turn the MPC off? Or do I need to keep fine tuning all 100 until I can "save samples as non-destructive program".

Hopefully that makes sense. Thanks!
Old 11 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHG ➡️
Let's say I have a sample, and I want to make 100 chops, then fine tune the start and end point on them all...

If I fine tune the start and end point on the first 50 chops, then I want to take a break and come back and do the next 50, is there a way to save my progress and turn the MPC off? Or do I need to keep fine tuning all 100 until I can "save samples as non-destructive program".

Pretty sure your chops stay in place until you tell it otherwise. You don’t need to export the sample as a program to keep them. In the MPC the samples maintain all the slicing. Be mindful that it’s easy to accidentally reset slices (eg by shifting from, say, manual detection to transient detection). But when you save your project it saves wherever those slices are at. Don’t have it in front of me at the moment but I’m almost certain that’s how it works.
Old 10 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Really hoping we see some cross-pollination and maybe see the Dreadbox Typhon working in USB-Audio Class Compliance mode with Akai MPC. Their tables are so close to each other! Anyone going?

Yeh, I am also keeping an eye on this- A 1 USB cable solution (audio/midi/power) to add an analogue synth to the MPC is the Holy Grail.

Typhon and the new 6 voice Poly maybe!
Old 5 hours ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The only issue is that when used as a USB audio thing, it becomes "an interface". This means that the synth itself needs to work as the sound card. Thus all monitoring will also go through the synth.. so if you want to listen to the other tracks in the MPC, you'll have to hook headphones to the synth. Right?
Old 5 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHG ➡️

Long as you dont Convert the Chops to a Program, the Slice Markers will stay in place after you Save the Project
Old 4 hours ago | Show parent
Grrrr!
I finally updated the firmware and then did a reset, the reset part was a Dumb move! I`v now lost all my prefs and my midi in doesn`t work

I need to slave my MPC Clock to the MC-707 but it`s not receiving anything at all, not even note data?
to top it all off the prefs menu has changed since I last did it some years ago so nothing looks even familiar now.
I`m using DIN midi A on the MPC as the input port.

any ideas?
Old 3 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Its a real PITA losing all your preferences when you do a reset ,there really should be a way of saving and reloading them
Old 3 hours ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
TI am able to do this on my attached SSD as well just as long as the preset is saved under the "Synths" content folder under their respective plugin, and the file name follows the format "XXXX-User-Preset Name" where "XXXX" is the last number in that folder's presets existing number sequence.
This is awesome and I didn't know that, thanks for the tip! Do you know if this works for FX (and racks) as well, and if so, what should be the folder structure?
Old 1 hour ago | Show parent
PHG
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis ➡️
Pretty sure your chops stay in place until you tell it otherwise. You don’t need to export the sample as a program to keep them. In the MPC the samples maintain all the slicing. Be mindful that it’s easy to accidentally reset slices (eg by shifting from, say, manual detection to transient detection). But when you save your project it saves wherever those slices are at. Don’t have it in front of me at the moment but I’m almost certain that’s how it works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40Beatz ➡️
Long as you dont Convert the Chops to a Program, the Slice Markers will stay in place after you Save the Project
Thanks yall! I was just using the MPC software a few months back. I would start to chop something, then save my project. When I reopen the project, all my chop progress seemed to be gone. So eventually I just told myself, if I start something, I have to finish it right away.

I just got my MPC Live 2 Retro this week, and started chopping something. I guess I maxed it out at 128 chops haha. I wanted to take a break half way through, but was afraid to lose all progress. I just left it turned on and went back to it a hour later...

I'll experiment with it more today, and get a better feel for how it saves data.
Old 1 hour ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic ➡️
The only issue is that when used as a USB audio thing, it becomes "an interface". This means that the synth itself needs to work as the sound card. Thus all monitoring will also go through the synth.. so if you want to listen to the other tracks in the MPC, you'll have to hook headphones to the synth. Right?
That's correct!
📝 Reply