The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
KORG Arp odyssey or Boomstar 4075?
Old 12th November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
KORG Arp odyssey or Boomstar 4075?

Looking for an ARP flavour in a desktop/rack format. It looks like aside from getting a real deal (which is not practical for me) I have pretty much only a choice between a KORG version of Odyssey or Boomstar with 2600 type filter - any opinions on which one is preferable are welcome.

Thank you!

P.S. Or maybe there are other candidates that I'm unaware of?
Old 12th November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Karp Desktop would be my choice.
Old 12th November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm inclined to agree with Rufuss.
Old 12th November 2016
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Boomstar would prolly sound meatier and better imo...

Old 12th November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
KARP. Had the 5089. It was nice. But it had some issues. Sent it in. Thought the guys were dicks, sold it. Bought a Micromac. Much better.
Old 12th November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The Karp sounds amazing. No mod wheel over midi with it though
Old 12th November 2016 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by donato ➑️
KARP. Had the 5089. It was nice. But it had some issues. Sent it in. Thought the guys were dicks, sold it. Bought a Micromac. Much better.
5089 is the Moog clone is it not..?

and I've found the guys at Studio Electronics to be a bunch of awesome geezers always happy to chat and reply to emails readily..
Old 12th November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wanted the 4075 Boomstar for a long time. Have no good reason for why I never bought one, other than I wanted to get it and a SEM at the same time but didn't want to part with the cash. Finally picked up the Korg Arp Odyssey and I love it.
Old 12th November 2016
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
@ jg42

I Had the boomstar, wasn't happy with a few things, sold it and kept my korg which is just a beautiful tool to use and listen to, worth noting that it can be very heavy or very sweet and smooth depending on how you treat it

My user experience is clear and NOT based on YT vids and that's how I make my choices but we are all different, my honest thinking is if you're chasing the arp sound (which you seem to be) then forget clones and just go after the korg, that's if you can't or don't want to spend 5 X more on an OG.
Old 12th November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by donato ➑️
issues? like didn't work properly? :-|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro ➑️
@ jg42

I Had the boomstar, wasn't happy with a few things, sold it and kept my korg which is just a beautiful tool to use and listen to, worth noting that it can be very heavy or very sweet and smooth depending on how you treat it

My user experience is clear and NOT based on YT vids and that's how I make my choices but we are all different, my honest thinking is if you're chasing the arp sound (which you seem to be) then forget clones and just go after the korg, that's if you can't or don't want to spend 5 X more on an OG.
Interesting, what didn't you like about boomstar?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz ➑️
Boomstar would prolly sound meatier and better imo...

that's what I thought too (based on youtube demos and SE reputation in general). But maybe we're missing "the big picture"?
Old 12th November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Out of the two, I'd choose the Odyssey any day...
Old 12th November 2016
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Various things including those awful teeny weenier than volca dials but I'd rather not bad mouth it, there's lots of great stuff about it including its lfo's and easy layout, I suppose it's size is an advantage if you like tabletops and small boxes (which I don't) but the korg was just a much better fit for me on sound, scope (huge range) and the feel, I could and still can't pick faults with it after nearly 21 months.

I have grown up loving the styling of the arp also, sentimentality.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jg42 ➑️
that's what I thought too (based on youtube demos and SE reputation in general). But maybe we're missing "the big picture"?
Best thing to do is get your hands on them, inspect them and play them and maybe you'll see.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro ➑️
Best thing to do is get your hands on them, inspect them and play them and maybe you'll see.
Obviously.Sadly, I can't find any stores that have boomstars in stock up here (in Toronto). :-(
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Rumor has it the Boomstar's are essentially a Moog based design with different filters tagged on depending on the model and with the 5089 being the most Moogish. If you're looking for Arp tones I'd go for the Karp Ody out of the two.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage ➑️
Rumor has it the Boomstar's are essentially a Moog based design with different filters tagged on depending on the model and with the 5089 being the most Moogish. If you're looking for Arp tones I'd go for the Karp Ody out of the two.
That's neither a rumor nor a secret. It's an open fact.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Obviously.Sadly, I can't find any stores that have boomstars in stock up here (in Toronto). :-(
Shame, I too bought on instinct as could not test drive either synth as I got the korg as soon as they landed but never looked back from the first key press. I'm sure you'll be happy with either choice, I am just giving my opinion seeing as you are seeming to be chasing a certain sound.

there are certain tones I expected to get and while the 4075 is capable of filthy fat and weird noises it couldn't/didn't give me some of the tones I expected from an arp clone, I've been around arp synths for many years so it was a bit mmmm that's not what I'm after, no thanks for me.

no doubt it gave some superb sounds so do not think I'm trying turn you off the box for one minute because I'm not, it is a PROPER bloody analogue synth in all senses of the word but there were things I didn't like in its build and design, mix a few dislikes along with the fact I could get where I wanted and more to the point, expected from the korg sealed its release from my grasp, I wanted to keep both initially.

I would like to look at a sem boomstar down the line as that's the most different from what I own but I really have a dislike for modules and often play them less so it'll likely never happen.

Edit:

As always the problem you'll encounter is strong opinions for and against certain synths with this type of question, some from non owners and some from those that have never touched either dog in the fight, for this reason I never really ask a comparison if I'm interested in a synth, I'd rather buy and then sell if I'm not into it.
Old 12th November 2016

🎧 5 years
Boomstars are great, and offer the most possible/price for a desktop mono. Its great the KARP is a replica, but its limitations in 2016 aren't really interesting to me. The flexibility of the VCO FM, filter FM, ring mod, envelope settings etc etc are far more worth it than a touch more ARP sonic signature.

If you fetishize a certain sound, get the KARP. If you want more flexibility with general tone signifiers (and an amazing tone on its own) get the 4075
Old 13th November 2016
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
I dunno but if someone offered me a free Boomstar or a Karp i'd take the Boomstar every single time infinitely.. the 86% keys are the single biggest reason I wouldn't buy the Karp, second is the resell value on a Boomstar will go up over time and the karp not so much imo..
Old 13th November 2016
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years

Old 13th November 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I dunno but if someone offered me a free Boomstar or a Karp i'd take the Boomstar every single time infinitely.. the 86% keys are the single biggest reason I wouldn't buy the Karp, second is the resell value on a Boomstar will go up over time and the karp not so much imo..
not sure if 86% keys are applicable here since I'm thinking about a desktop module - not a kybd version.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbow ➑️
Boomstars are great, and offer the most possible/price for a desktop mono. Its great the KARP is a replica, but its limitations in 2016 aren't really interesting to me. The flexibility of the VCO FM, filter FM, ring mod, envelope settings etc etc are far more worth it than a touch more ARP sonic signature.

If you fetishize a certain sound, get the KARP. If you want more flexibility with general tone signifiers (and an amazing tone on its own) get the 4075
great point, yes I'm looking for something with ARPy flavour - not necessarily an exact replica (though I wouldn't mind a 2600 or a 2500 ;-) Having said that, I have 5089 on its way and I'm thinking if 4075 will sound too similar to it in the mix?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

every time I watch a review from SonicState I want to buy the reviewed item even if I don't really need it!!!
Old 13th November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you already have a Boomstar, it makes much more sense IMO to go for the Odyssey. I think I prefer the Boomstar 4075 myself.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
not sure if 86% keys are applicable here since I'm thinking about a desktop module - not a kybd version.
ahh ok I think I was just talking about why me personally didn't buy one, i played one for an hr once in a store and hated the keys, the sound was ok but didn't blow me away whereas every Boomstar demo I hear i just hear ear candy everywhere..
Old 13th November 2016
Lives for gear

I played the Korg in the store here for a long time and thought it sounded cool but the keys were a no go for me. The build quality was just average - pretty much on par with the minibrute which in good considering the price. Purchased the Boomstar 4075 and have been blown away with how amazing it sounds. Build quality is excellent. Pretty versatile and sits in the tracks nicely.
Old 15th November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks, everyone for your advice!
I'm still not decided however I know have a better understanding of what's out there.

And I think I'm looking at modulars....
Old 15th November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbow ➑️

The Karp has VCO FM, Filter FM, ringmod, flexable envelopes etc as well. I think they are both pretty feature rich.
Old 15th November 2016

🎧 10 years
The KARP sounds really, really close. Has that raw vibe. I love my black and orange KARP and will probably buy a desktop to go with it when the prices bottom out.

Also, after having a very underwhelming ATC-1 and cartridges many years ago, I don't touch anything Studio Electronics.

Last edited by plikestechno; 15th November 2016 at 08:40 PM..
πŸ“ Reply