The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
KORG Arp odyssey or Boomstar 4075?
Old 15th November 2016

🎧 10 years
the Boomstar 4075 is an awesome monosynth.
Dont have lots of experience with the Odyssey but it seems the Boomstar env are more snappy.
You also have feedback , more cv connections, midi syncable lfo , sub osc and velocity to env with the Boomstar.
The Boomstar is my favorite mono of all time , it is really great.
Old 15th November 2016

🎧 10 years
Nothing but love for the Boomstar here. Owned the 5089 and SE80 but had to sell them. Still miss the 5089 very much, such a fantastic tone/quality to it. Never experienced anything negative about it or Studio Electronics for that matter.
Old 15th November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by donato ➡️
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage ➡️
Rumor has it the Boomstar's are essentially a Moog based design with different filters tagged on depending on the model and with the 5089 being the most Moogish. If you're looking for Arp tones I'd go for the Karp Ody out of the two.
That's neither a rumor nor a secret. It's an open fact.
Not an advertised fact but yeah
Old 15th November 2016 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
KARP. Had the 5089. It was nice. But it had some issues. Sent it in. Thought the guys were dicks, sold it. Bought a Micromac. Much better.
1st I've seen anyone refer to us as "dicks" really anywhere, donato. Maybe you'd like to explain why?

Good read tho in the main up here...

Exhaustive:

https://gearspace.com/board/electron...mstar-89.html?

Additional: The KARP is a surface-mount piece... always a threat to servicing.

"Rumor has it the Boomstar's are essentially a Moog based design with different filters tagged on depending on the model and with the 5089 being the most Moogish."

Very close but not exactly true, except in respect to the revered Moog VCA.
More later.

MSR
Old 15th November 2016

🎧 15 years
I had a poor service experience with SE (midi issues related to bug, contacted them for EEPROM upgrade. Took no less than 7 emails to Greg with a promise to send it next day/week every time and over 4 months for them to finally mail the EEPROM out).

That being said the 4075 is a lot of fun and I think it sounds good. It's a nice small unit for taking out for use in a live set. I dislike the power connector they use.

Overdrive and ring mod are fun. The small knobs don't bother me. Build quality is good. Seems like it will last a long time.
Old 15th November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Speaking of modulars is Tonestar vastly different from a Boomstar? (Aside from obvious form factor differences) I can see that it has 1 Vco instead of 2. So, 2 Tonestars instead of 1 Boomstar 4075 - makes sense? (Probably more flexible but of course more expensive even without factoring in the case...)
Old 15th November 2016

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jg42 ➡️
Looking for an ARP flavour in a desktop/rack format. It looks like aside from getting a real deal (which is not practical for me) I have pretty much only a choice between a KORG version of Odyssey or Boomstar with 2600 type filter - any opinions on which one is preferable are welcome.

Thank you!

P.S. Or maybe there are other candidates that I'm unaware of?
I always thought the 2600 had a 4072 VCF.
Old 15th November 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindMachine ➡️
I always thought the 2600 had a 4072 VCF.
Yes... from SE website: "The 4075 filter is a discrete, voltage controlled, 24/db/oct cascaded transconductance low-pass filter, employing six pairs of hand-matched transistors. In its lowest FREQUENCY setting it shaves off higher frequency harmonics; its RESONANCE or “Q” circuit pushes those harmonics past the self-oscillation boiling point, projecting a thumpy, thrashing squeal, with explosive low to mid-range power and depth. The design is actually pulled from the four-pole ARP 4072 (better: more parts and trims), sans the 12kHz design flaw which hamstrung the original’s high end. The 4075 name has stuck—no sense correcting our little misnomer misstep now."
Old 16th November 2016

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogia ➡️
Additional: The KARP is a surface-mount piece... always a threat to servicing.
I don't understand all the tech details but what does this imply? Cheaper or weaker components?

Does anyone know if the desktop or upcoming "full size" are also surface mount?
Old 16th November 2016 | Show parent

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva ➡️
I don't understand all the tech details but what does this imply? Cheaper or weaker components?

Does anyone know if the desktop or upcoming "full size" are also surface mount?
Surface mount is harder to repair as it requires a different technique (and very small parts). The upcoming stuff is almost certainly SMT as well. My MS20m is SMT, so I would expect the same from the Odyssey FS, and I'd bet that the Odyssey module probably uses the exact same board as the mini key KARP, since the only changes (MIDI pitch bend, lack of keyboard) are both external to the analog sound board.
Old 8th December 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Update: Thx everybody for your participation! Ended being bitten by a (semi)modular bug and ordered a Tonestar instead!
Yes, mr. @ fiddlestickz - it's your fault as well - was impressed by your Tonestar demos!
Old 8th December 2016
Deleted 7f2cf6c
Is there any mono synths under a grand that have a keybed and arnt surface mount?
Old 8th December 2016 | Show parent
Based on sound, Boomstar by a nose. BUT, the Karp ain't bad at all. It has its own drive circuit too. Rumor is a full size Karp is coming out. I'm down, preffering the Odyssey sound to Moog for funky bass. I do have the 5089 euro filter and SE VCA module, and they are both excellent. Also, the Karp has full MIDI CC, the Boomstar doesn't. If you sequence via DAW, its something to think about.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think the KARP just sounds better. Where are the demos of the Boomstar sounding this good?

Quote:
I think the KARP just sounds better. Where are the demos of the Boomstar sounding this good?

Sounds great. I think the Boomstars can get a bit dirtier. Not necessarily what I always like, but there are some really good demos out there of the 4075 too.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEK8D ➡️
Based on sound, Boomstar by a nose. BUT, the Karp ain't bad at all. It has its own drive circuit too. Rumor is a full size Karp is coming out. I'm down, preffering the Odyssey sound to Moog for funky bass. I do have the 5089 euro filter and SE VCA module, and they are both excellent. Also, the Karp has full MIDI CC, the Boomstar doesn't. If you sequence via DAW, its something to think about.
The KARP doesn't have full MIDI CC, it pretty much only responds to gate/note as far as I know (like the MS20 mini). It doesn't even respond to external pitch bend if I recall correctly. So no advantage over the Boomstar there.

You can find the MIDI implementation chart here: http://www.korg.com/us/support/downl...al/0/435/2648/
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXode ➡️
The KARP doesn't have full MIDI CC, it pretty much only responds to gate/note as far as I know (like the MS20 mini). It doesn't even respond to external pitch bend if I recall correctly. So no advantage over the Boomstar there.

You can find the MIDI implementation chart here: ARP ODYSSEY/MIDI Implementation chart E | KORG
Yep. The module does respond to pitch bend, the keyboard does not.
Old 8th December 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'd say a Boomstar combined with a Monologue seems like the ideal combo right now.
Old 11th February 2018 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXode ➡️

You can find the MIDI implementation chart here: Downloads | ARP ODYSSEY - MIDI Implementation chart E | KORG (USA)
I stand corrected, and was mistaken. This Karp vs Boomstar is still on my mind. They are really close, but the cost of the Karp module puts it ahead in terms of value IMO. Wonder when we will get to hear some demoes of the MKII Boomstars? Those are going to be even more expensive it appears.
Old 11th February 2018

🎧 10 years
I've had both. They are both amazing.
But the Karp sounds more quirky, and is much more performance oriented. It's the one I kept in the end.
Old 12th February 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I absolutely love my Karp
Old 12th February 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
^Same here and long after the honeymoon. For me it's a desert island mono synth with it's three filter options and layout.
Old 12th February 2018
Deleted 61b93a1
^ What I also like about the Karp is that it’s got a very definite personality, and makes that personality heard in a mix. You decide if you want an ARPish flavor or not up front, and if you do the synth delivers that. There’s no searching through a million “sour spots” to try to find something that sounds good, as can happen with a more versatile synth.

“I yam what I am and that’s all that I yam.”
📝 Reply