The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
u-he Repro-1 public beta, SCI Pro-One emulation
Old 12th May 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 ➡️

What I suggest you do is please create a 909 / 808 model of the same accuracy as Repro to prove all these people wrong
What I suggest he do is get back to work on RePro-5 and Zebra 3 cause there is no end to the analog vs digital arguments... ever...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by draig ➡️
What I suggest he do is get back to work on RePro-5 and Zebra 3 cause there is no end to the analog vs digital arguments... ever...
Exactly. Make great apps, you'll never convince spods on the internet who get off on the negative comments. Reminds me of the people who left negative reviews of a beach on an island we went to and whinged that it was "too hot". Why even go to Southeast Asia?
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dluther ➡️
You're joking, right? Mix and match in a blind comparison where the only thing you have to rely on is your hearing ability. It's 14 kick drums played at a very pedestrian pace.

It's not the attack that changes, it's the frequency. If he'd adjust his softsynth down 1/2 semitone, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.
no Im not joking if you know about testing the best ways to reduce bias to minimum, and the best way to deal with human hearing to get a result that is interpretable and useful. The best way is not to bombard the listener with a slew of undisclosed changing sounds. This test is obviously designed to confuse the listener and biased negatively to be failed. I see these tests often from people trying to prove their point.

You need to run an A/B test run minimum 10 times using ABX software - of the same sound. Urs is right tho in a sense to dispute the exaggerated claims about a million miles of difference - the above is ok I guess but it doesnt really settle anything...

The attack does clearly change but the point is to compare like with like in an A/B format...

Quote:
Originally Posted by draig ➡️
lol I welcome Urs presence and comments its great to have developers joining the debates...I'm sure he has his minions working away in the background and can have a momentary break
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urs ➡️
Hehehe, in future we'll check the exact tuning of the examples. When pitched up, we can clearly hear it too.
Awesome! Did I win anything?
Deleted User
Quote:
The best way is not to bombard the listener with a slew of undisclosed changing sounds.
The only way I can interpret your response is that you and I were listening to different samples. What I heard were 14 kick drums, playing the exact note, at a tempo I could play with my nose hitting a keyboard, which isn't "bombarding" anything. The only variation were the instruments themselves which was the entire point of the exercise. How does that constitute a "slew" of "changing" sounds? They clearly weren't "undisclosed" because Urs told us exactly what we were going to hear.

The only bias that exists is in your head. What would have been meaningful is if you'd revealed your picks and they'd been wrong.

I'd like Urs to resubmit the same test with the tuning fixed, which is the only way I could discern the difference with my ears, which again, is the entire point of the exercise.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
The only way I can interpret your response is that you and I were listening to different samples. What I heard were 14 kick drums, playing the exact note, at a tempo I could play with my nose hitting a keyboard, which isn't "bombarding" anything. The only variation were the instruments themselves which was the entire point of the exercise. How does that constitute a "slew" of "changing" sounds? They clearly weren't "undisclosed" because Urs told us exactly what we were going to hear.

The only bias that exists is in your head. What would have been meaningful is if you'd revealed your picks and they'd been wrong.

I'd like Urs to resubmit the same test with the tuning fixed, which is the only way I could discern the difference with my ears, which again, is the entire point of the exercise.
well, you can get angry if you want, but if you look into the the proper best practices of ABX testing in the audio sphere, you will learn something and understand what I'm talking about. Im not going to bother repeating myself and banging my head against a wall.
Deleted User
Quote:
well, you can get angry if you want
Not angry at all. The fact you even consider my reactions as "angry" only serve to further weight your own bias.

Quote:
proper best practices of ABX testing...
Ah, there's your problem right there -- you think this is an "ABX" scenario where it's only an "AB" comparison.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Not angry at all. The fact you even consider my reactions as "angry" only serve to further weight your own bias.

Ah, there's your problem right there -- you think this is an "ABX" scenario where it's only an "AB" comparison.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABX_test

ABX audio testing tool
Old 12th May 2017
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Oh no the analog zombies are out again biting and eating digital synths for lunch!!!

Take care people, if you get the analog virus your brain will start to malfunction hearing aliasing everywhere and become obsessed with analog synths, your wallet will suffer a lot too. It is highly contagious and it is quite spread at GS and FB groups, it is recommended to follow sound logic and discard subjective opinions ASAP.

This message is brought to you by the shills of the software industry.
Old 29th August 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Wow. I was out of the U-he loop for a while and just discovered Repro-1. I have used a hardware Pro-1 extensively and was always looking for something that could actually get that sound ITB. Native Instruments and Arturia's Prophet emulations didn't get close to that type of sound quality (I acknowledge that the sound of the Prophet is not exactly the same as the Pro-1).

Repro-1 sounds amazingly good and gives me the same vibe I got from the hardware. I programmed it with some of my old handwritten patches and they sounded exactly like I expected. I'm really looking forward to the Repro-5.
📝 Reply