Quantcast
NAMM 2017 - Your Predictions, Rumors and Desires... - Page 8 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM 2017 - Your Predictions, Rumors and Desires...
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I predict the tears of disappointment from all the Roland fans will raise the ocean levels .05 inches and raise the temperature and salt level accordingly. Roland fanboys cause global warming.
Old 2nd January 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco ➑️
I predict the tears of disappointment from all the Roland fans will raise the ocean levels .05 inches and raise the temperature and salt level accordingly. Roland fanboys cause global warming.
Roland fans dont expect their beloved branch to release at NAMM at all.
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Roland always has something at NAMM and Musikmesse. They are probably the most reliable company to do so. Will it be an awe inspiring NAMM unveiling? Those days are long gone.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax ➑️
Since some want to hear ridiculous wishes!
Here's one.
A company releases a synth with the controllers on the right!
Some of us lefties are put out by righties world!
Never thought about that. It is very bizarre - especially as making a keybed and controller panel that could be swapped L-R or R-L by the user is pretty trivial.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
NAMM show prediction

1. Korg release ARP 2500-2600 hybrid with minikeys.

2. Yamaha re-issue the CS80 as a lightweight plastic, pocket-sized instrument with 25-note membrane keyboard. iPad 3D interface included.

3. Behringer announce take-over of Oberheim, Roland, and Sequential. Then show prototype replicas of Jupiter-8, OB8, and Prophet 10 for $800 each plus tax.
Deleted d59bfd5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax ➑️
Since some want to hear ridiculous wishes!
Here's one.
A company releases a synth with the controllers on the right!
Some of us lefties are put out by righties world!
a quick fix for that could be to rotate the desired instrument by 180Β°

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco ➑️
I predict the tears of disappointment from all the Roland fans
You mean trolls. Us fans are plenty happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRAZZ ➑️
Will it be an awe inspiring NAMM unveiling? Those days are long gone.
Here? Maybe. Elsenet? We'll see.

The Prophet~6 and OB-6 made their respective NAMMs pretty exciting. Especially the OB-6 unveiling. How they kept that a secret is beyond me. If the DeepMind had been at NAMM, it would have been the same thing. Sure, expecting nothing special is safe. No disappointments. But I'm checking my seatbelts to make sure they're snug. I'm not expecting anything analog from Roland, more a Fantom successor, but even that might not happen. Their current crop of products is really good. The other guys however, I'm anticipating fireworks.
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
My wishes:

Novation: updated Ultranova with better UI (more controls), more polyphony and multitimbrality, 61 keys.
Waldorf: updated Blofeld with better UI, more polyphony, 61 keys, better effects,
Access: new Virus with better UI, maybe analog filters.

My predictions:

Arturia will announce a poly, but it will take a year to be released.
New effect boxes from Elektron.
Deleted d59bfd5
Arturia announces the "drum brute pro" and "matrix brute pro".
Roland introduces the MC-202 and a TR-606 boutique versions.
Yamaha returns with a fully knobby featured analog clone of the DX7
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This post really belongs in here.

I'm hoping this is the year of the polysynth explosion, or start of the avalanche. Dave Smith/Sequential is due for a flagship, maybe a T~8 clone. I hear rumblings of a KORG and Moog poly. KORG, either a Trident clone or what I'd love to see, an ARP Chroma with sliders and buttons. Moog, a six voice poly based on the Sub 37 architecture but maybe a different filter, would be a good Memorymoog clone. Yamaha had that gum-swallowing display back in 2015 which included the venerable CS-80, so I'm expecting a CS-80 II reissue, though I'm thinking VA. It'll be a fantastic VA though. If Arturia's Origin can do it, and the System-8 can do it, Yamaha should be able to do it with pizzazz. And here's a limb crawl: Kurzweil VA-1 finally appearing.

Workstation revival. KORG seems to be the one carrying this torch the most, but I'm counting on fresh blood. While Roland looks pretty good with the JD-XA and System-8, and any new poly would hurt their sales, many of us are expecting an Integra-based workstation to succeed the Fantom. I'm hoping that this is the year Kurzweil releases a proper K3000 workstation with that superribbon on board.

Drum machines. I expect a few. along with everyone else's wishes, how about a Linn Drum?

Rounding things out, new studio gear. Great sounding monitors. Rack compressors, EQs, preamps, channel strips. New mics. New consoles, many with digital interfaces. All kinds of software.

I'm expecting this to be the biggest NAMM evar.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids ➑️
I've said it before: Now that the CEM 3340 has been reissued there's literally nothing stopping Roland from remaking a 1:1 SH-101. No presets or anything. Just give us the shoulder strap and handle.

It's a no-brainer and people would eat it up.

Maybe it could be a 101 Deluxe with a second CEM 3340 inside, stepping into Intellijel Atlantis territory.
I want a Minimoog-like 101 reissue so much.... and there's absolutely no way Roland does it; they'd be shooting themselves in the foot. They're all the way into the "System 1/System 8 is just like analog" paradigm. Which I want to believe but haven't yet.
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Korg is the most entertaining player in the whole "What's at NAMM?" nanodrama .... because their corporate ship doesn't leak. No idea what they're going to do until they actually do it.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Although I'm baffled by DSI's range of poly synths (so much overlapping of features, branding, visuals and tones), I'm interested to see what the Prophet 08 replacement is.

I'm sure that there's a significant market for a multitimbral analogue poly. 8 voices is enough for bass, lead and pads.

Fingers crossed.
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm not really understanding the whole DSI flagship or Prophet 8 replacement discussion honestly. They have the Prophet 12, Prophet 6 and OB6 all up in the same range that has been their high end pretty much since the beginning of DSI. If anything I would think maybe a refresh on the P12 just to do discrete filters.

I'd be more inclined to think they would do a new discrete mono. I would love to see them nail a modern Pro 1 killer. Something else they could do that would kick ass would be the FM update to the Pro 2. I more of a mono synth guy, though. If they really wanted to kill it, a 2 voice synth with one voice card each SSM (P6) and SEM (OB6).

I wouldn't mind seeing them scrub the Tempest and start over... discrete filters and oscillators from their current analogs (no samples at all), add ring mod to the capabilities. Resonant HP filter would have been nice. Oscillator FM would have been nice. I think the core voice structure of the Tempest was fine it was just missing little key synth features that would have made it a perfect little noise box.

Not that any of this matters to me personally, I may not buy another DSI product as appealing as some of them may look.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy ➑️
You mean trolls. Us fans are plenty happy.
Honestly, I would like to own one aira sampler with size of a tr-8 to fit into my aira setup. Aira has perfect playability. As experimental acid fan, I really miss one tr-8 size simple sampler with sequencer and few effects to fill out the void.

Nothing big, no acb emulator bs, not a workstation. Just a simple sampler.

I don't expect nothing from this namm, but maybe in the future. It's last logical step in aira line. If not, I'll wonder why did they skip this part :dunno:

Last edited by Gotcha; 2nd January 2017 at 09:30 PM..
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Other than a real good DAW controller for a reasonable price, I would love Moog to give us a poly-synth. C'mon Moog!!!!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by manalishi ➑️
Although I'm baffled by DSI's range of poly synths (so much overlapping of features, branding, visuals and tones), I'm interested to see what the Prophet 08 replacement is.

I'm sure that there's a significant market for a multitimbral analogue poly. 8 voices is enough for bass, lead and pads.

Fingers crossed.
I'm hoping for something Multi-Timbral that can cover Tetra and Prophet-08 territory.

Sequential Eight-Track. The voices all have one CEM3340 oscillator and one SEM filter but can be stacked and combined however you like.
Old 3rd January 2017
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I remember reading somewhere on this site that elektron where going to do another octatrack, I also read that they where planning something that wasn't a normal elektron box. That came true so I feel an octatrack 2 is likely (wanting one really really hard may make me a little biased). Also the section on their website for the octatrack is called "samplers" which is plural and the octatrack looks lonely in it.

Hopefully it'll have pads to trigger samples and multiple outs. I could see it being an analog keys to the analog four for the octatrack, that is adding multiple outs and a better interface but still using the same OS. The fact that the original octatrack can't do overbridge makes this unlikely, and I would also like to see elektron start from scratch on a new sampler, then it could be poly too. Seeing the analog heat makes me think that a new elektron sampler could easily have an analog filter and or analog distortion. Part of me doesn't want to see the octatrack left behind, but it's niggles where enough to sell mine for the time being.

Or they will put out something to replace the machinedrum and monomachine. Maybe mix up the 12 bit machinedrum userwave bit with the octatrack's 24 bit wav so we'd get a choice.
Old 3rd January 2017
Here for the gear

Wish in 2017

Hi Everyone,
My first post.... so it will be the wish list for a close future

/ KORG /
I am original owner of old Korg units (MS and PS, ...)

My wish :
According to Korg movment in MS series recreation, i strongly expect from Korg a MS 50 unit or something close or even beyond the original : In first place before everything else. Of course less than 500USD.
They had the original schematics since near 30 years now and now in 2017, Modular competitors in the Eurorack format exists nowadays.
- CVGate/V Octave/Hz volt on board.
- MIDI : Why not

-> Why MS-50 ? : It it time to complete the MS20 units series (Original, Mini, MS IC, Module.... that enough) with something else very smart and in the MS spirit. Open.

A vocoder (VC10) will be a plus. (A KR"88" too)

An Expanded SQ Sequencer : The SQ1 is fine.
But Its time to go toward a Koma Complex Seq world.

A MS20mini fix procedure (No more Noise Issue) : I have the Original 1978 MS20 (Rev1) and compare to the Mini, there is a gap. They could do something for thier loyal customers... If not already done, then when and how ? (Remember : It is a Wish)

Dream of Bigger machine :
I do not dream anymore of a ARP2600 from Korg : Clones exist and the Price may be more than 1500USD...

So i seriously think about it and here is the deal and SPECS for the entire KORG Staff :

--> If Korg enter the High level of pricing of the Analog world, then there are 3 Big options (for me) in the future.
In order of Priority : Base on what they already done and know how to + customer demands.

A) A PS3300 (Do not need a PS3100 in this case) or a PS3200.

But if only one could be produced, then a PS3300 with Memories ! and Seq Cababilites to drive it. All units with 2017 connexions on board : CV / Midi ..

=> HOW : THE Smart solution : A PS3300 ala Yamaha TX816 family !
- 1 Brain unit, Rackable/Deskstop compliant : Ready with 1 FULL PS Unit inside. A PS3100 in fact but with Memories
- 2 Modules extension in option ready to Plug in. Up to the full PS3300 configuration.
Others Brand like Yamaha did that very well and save a lot on reuse of boards.
And, i dream a little bit more that way... someting Smarter over the top :
- Extra Modules/Design on popular Demand
- or with thier Contributors : Companies, DIY ... . (Roland did it with 500 series)

That way, OK. I will re-invest $$$$,$$ in Korg in the future.
It is the scalable way and very welcome way to enter in Analog polyphonic machines and go further.

Look at Waldorf and the late Modular Keyboard...
Look at Roland Boutique, and Modular 500
Look at Yamaha TXx16 (216-> 416-> 816) scalable with extra Modules (all the same! in 1984/86)

B) An ARP 2500 or an ARP Chroma with a programmer on board or Programmer in option. Chroma with Poly aftertouch , of course.
ENSONIQ did it natively.... in the 80'

C) A 'combo' like a Korg Trident MK3 / or ARP QUADRA
Poly aftertouch...

/ Dave Smith /
- 1 Prophet X or T8 (201'8' ??? I presume)
5 octaves, Poly aftertouch. Not less... At 3000$.
Beringher could help us ?
ENSONIQ did it. So Dave, i wait.....

Here is finaly the first part of a wish list for the future...
Next Step : Yamaha / Tom Oberheim....
Old 3rd January 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hah! There won't ever be a PS-3X00 reissue in its original analog voice-per-key configuration.
Old 3rd January 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner Car ➑️
Hi Everyone,
My first post.... so it will be the wish list for a close future

/ KORG /
I am original owner of old Korg units (MS and PS, ...)

My wish :
According to Korg movment in MS series recreation, i strongly expect from Korg a MS 50 unit or something close or even beyond the original : In first place before everything else. Of course less than 500USD.
They had the original schematics since near 30 years now and now in 2017, Modular competitors in the Eurorack format exists nowadays.
- CVGate/V Octave/Hz volt on board.
- MIDI : Why not

-> Why MS-50 ? : It it time to complete the MS20 units series (Original, Mini, MS IC, Module.... that enough) with something else very smart and in the MS spirit. Open.

A vocoder (VC10) will be a plus. (A KR"88" too)

An Expanded SQ Sequencer : The SQ1 is fine.
But Its time to go toward a Koma Complex Seq world.

A MS20mini fix procedure (No more Noise Issue) : I have the Original 1978 MS20 (Rev1) and compare to the Mini, there is a gap. They could do something for thier loyal customers... If not already done, then when and how ? (Remember : It is a Wish)...

I can see more of this if so...

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psykx ➑️
I remember reading somewhere on this site that elektron where going to do another octatrack, I also read that they where planning something that wasn't a normal elektron box. That came true so I feel an octatrack 2 is likely (wanting one really really hard may make me a little biased). Also the section on their website for the octatrack is called "samplers" which is plural and the octatrack looks lonely in it.

Hopefully it'll have pads to trigger samples and multiple outs. I could see it being an analog keys to the analog four for the octatrack, that is adding multiple outs and a better interface but still using the same OS. The fact that the original octatrack can't do overbridge makes this unlikely, and I would also like to see elektron start from scratch on a new sampler, then it could be poly too. Seeing the analog heat makes me think that a new elektron sampler could easily have an analog filter and or analog distortion. Part of me doesn't want to see the octatrack left behind, but it's niggles where enough to sell mine for the time being.

Or they will put out something to replace the machinedrum and monomachine. Maybe mix up the 12 bit machinedrum userwave bit with the octatrack's 24 bit wav so we'd get a choice.
Since it is possible that I was the source of the leaks you mentioned, a few things:

Based on what I heard at NAMM last January, it was fairly obvious that Elektron had something cooking that was outside of the more traditional instrument realm. And when pressed about some of the features only available to the analog line being applied to the Octatrack (like Overbridge and probability modes), I was told that it couldn't be done with the OT, but that they were listening to requests and it was likely that those features would appear on a future product. Take from that what you will.

I wouldn't expect to see an OT MKII at NAMM in January, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of the current OT being discontinued in the last quarter of 2017 and replaced be a digital beast in 2018. I think if Elektron planned to have an OT replacement at the upcoming NAMM show they would have already stopped production on the current model.
Old 3rd January 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I heard that Elektron were adding a "Fairlight" sort of machine to the OT, something more geared to melodic sequencing. Don't remember where. Could have been a fake youtube comment.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabar ➑️
Will Pioneer release the Nexus 2 version of the DJM-2000 mixer? Seems likely given how the CDJs/DJM-900s were upgraded lately.
djm 2000 nexus 2 - it never will be. official information.
Old 3rd January 2017
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
any rumors about NI Komplete Kontrol S series Generation 2?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent ➑️
Since it is possible that I was the source of the leaks you mentioned, a few things:

Based on what I heard at NAMM last January, it was fairly obvious that Elektron had something cooking that was outside of the more traditional instrument realm. And when pressed about some of the features only available to the analog line being applied to the Octatrack (like Overbridge and probability modes), I was told that it couldn't be done with the OT, but that they were listening to requests and it was likely that those features would appear on a future product. Take from that what you will.

I wouldn't expect to see an OT MKII at NAMM in January, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of the current OT being discontinued in the last quarter of 2017 and replaced be a digital beast in 2018. I think if Elektron planned to have an OT replacement at the upcoming NAMM show they would have already stopped production on the current model.
Well the octatrack is out of stock, but thats just me being wishful. Would you expect to see a monomachine/machinedrum replacement this namm then?
Old 3rd January 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Why not a model D desktop?
I mean, look at the korg ms 20m desktop. It's almost as long.
The Voyager - that had more knobs and switches - had the RME edition.
So wishes? I wish for a model D desktop. Really want a model D. Don't have the space for a full on keyboard.
Old 3rd January 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Korg could do an MS20 style synth with Ladder Filter. The world is their oyster. Hope they keep to the full size MS20 compatible patch system as the Euro rack stuff is a lesser system

Old 3rd January 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I don't know but I think possible might be
1) poly 8 voice korg
2) Roland announcing a new incoming plug outs for system 8 (no actual new hardware)
3) Virus TI3 (LOL no probably not)
Old 4th January 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Closed