Quantcast
Exploding JV2080 expansion card - Page 9 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Exploding JV2080 expansion card
Old 8th June 2021 | Show parent
  #241
BM0
Lives for gear
 
BM0's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphNYC ➡️
Before I try the surgery, just want to check with you guys that this capacitor looks ok:

https://www.amazon.com/Projects-Radi...ustrial&sr=1-1
The 100uF 16v rating is fine. I would say they look OK, though they don't really give you much information on what you are getting. I always go with Nichicon or Panasonic capacitors when possible. On my cards, I used 100uF 25v SMD Panasonic capacitors.
Old 8th June 2021
  #242
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Do someone know if the built in "cards" in the XP-30 have the same problem?
Old 13th June 2021
  #243
Lives for gear
 
oldgearguy's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I'm replacing the C5 cap on an expansion board. The cap has leaked a lot but not exploded.
I have to create a new contact point for the negative side because of the leaking - not a big deal.

However, the leaking appears to have made cap C4 (below it) look very unhappy. It *might* be OK, but if possible I'd rather replace it as well while I'm here.

Anyone happen to know the value of C4 on the expansion boards?

thanks
Old 14th June 2021
  #244
Lives for gear
 
ralphNYC's Avatar
Mission accomplished- replaced the caps on my 2 expansion cards.
Old 14th June 2021
  #245
Lives for gear
 
SkyWriter's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Thanks heavens for old threads. Got some soldering to do.
Old 14th June 2021 | Show parent
  #246
Lives for gear
 
kpatz's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy ➡️
I'm replacing the C5 cap on an expansion board. The cap has leaked a lot but not exploded.
I have to create a new contact point for the negative side because of the leaking - not a big deal.

However, the leaking appears to have made cap C4 (below it) look very unhappy. It *might* be OK, but if possible I'd rather replace it as well while I'm here.

Anyone happen to know the value of C4 on the expansion boards?

thanks
C4 looks like it's a power supply decoupling cap, along with C1, C2 and C3. If you have a capacitance meter and desoldering tools, take one of C1-C3 off and measure it, and C4 is likely the same. Otherwise, a 0.1uF (100 nF) cap should work fine in that spot.

It may even be in parallel with C5. Typically on boards like this there's a larger cap (C5) where the power rails enter the board, then smaller caps near each chip.
Old 14th June 2021 | Show parent
  #247
Lives for gear
 
oldgearguy's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz ➡️
C4 looks like it's a power supply decoupling cap, along with C1, C2 and C3. If you have a capacitance meter and desoldering tools, take one of C1-C3 off and measure it, and C4 is likely the same. Otherwise, a 0.1uF (100 nF) cap should work fine in that spot.

It may even be in parallel with C5. Typically on boards like this there's a larger cap (C5) where the power rails enter the board, then smaller caps near each chip.
Thanks. That seems to match up with what I was seeing with the DMM and cap testers (used in place - I know it's not extremely accurate, but gives a ballpark).
Old 15th June 2021 | Show parent
  #248
Lives for gear
 
SkyWriter's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy ➡️
Thanks. That seems to match up with what I was seeing with the DMM and cap testers (used in place - I know it's not extremely accurate, but gives a ballpark).
Outside of our corporate labs, that's about all test equipment the rest of us monkey's have at home anyway. :0)
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 627 views: 107649
Avatar for damoog
damoog 27th April 2019
replies: 204 views: 29167
Avatar for Rob Ocelot
Rob Ocelot 15th September 2021
replies: 102 views: 36091
Avatar for paterolandson
paterolandson 9th March 2021
replies: 5225 views: 396457
Avatar for Chri
Chri 1 week ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump