Exploding JV2080 expansion card
Old 8th June 2021 | Show parent
BM0
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphNYC ➡️
Before I try the surgery, just want to check with you guys that this capacitor looks ok:

https://www.amazon.com/Projects-Radi...ustrial&sr=1-1
The 100uF 16v rating is fine. I would say they look OK, though they don't really give you much information on what you are getting. I always go with Nichicon or Panasonic capacitors when possible. On my cards, I used 100uF 25v SMD Panasonic capacitors.
Old 8th June 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Do someone know if the built in "cards" in the XP-30 have the same problem?
Old 13th June 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm replacing the C5 cap on an expansion board. The cap has leaked a lot but not exploded.
I have to create a new contact point for the negative side because of the leaking - not a big deal.

However, the leaking appears to have made cap C4 (below it) look very unhappy. It *might* be OK, but if possible I'd rather replace it as well while I'm here.

Anyone happen to know the value of C4 on the expansion boards?

thanks
Old 14th June 2021
Lives for gear

Mission accomplished- replaced the caps on my 2 expansion cards.
Old 14th June 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks heavens for old threads. Got some soldering to do.
Old 14th June 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy ➡️
I'm replacing the C5 cap on an expansion board. The cap has leaked a lot but not exploded.
I have to create a new contact point for the negative side because of the leaking - not a big deal.

However, the leaking appears to have made cap C4 (below it) look very unhappy. It *might* be OK, but if possible I'd rather replace it as well while I'm here.

Anyone happen to know the value of C4 on the expansion boards?

thanks
C4 looks like it's a power supply decoupling cap, along with C1, C2 and C3. If you have a capacitance meter and desoldering tools, take one of C1-C3 off and measure it, and C4 is likely the same. Otherwise, a 0.1uF (100 nF) cap should work fine in that spot.

It may even be in parallel with C5. Typically on boards like this there's a larger cap (C5) where the power rails enter the board, then smaller caps near each chip.
Old 14th June 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz ➡️
C4 looks like it's a power supply decoupling cap, along with C1, C2 and C3. If you have a capacitance meter and desoldering tools, take one of C1-C3 off and measure it, and C4 is likely the same. Otherwise, a 0.1uF (100 nF) cap should work fine in that spot.

It may even be in parallel with C5. Typically on boards like this there's a larger cap (C5) where the power rails enter the board, then smaller caps near each chip.
Thanks. That seems to match up with what I was seeing with the DMM and cap testers (used in place - I know it's not extremely accurate, but gives a ballpark).
Old 15th June 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy ➡️
Thanks. That seems to match up with what I was seeing with the DMM and cap testers (used in place - I know it's not extremely accurate, but gives a ballpark).
Outside of our corporate labs, that's about all test equipment the rest of us monkey's have at home anyway. :0)
📝 Reply