The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland System 8
Old 25th August 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seqai ➡️
Hi all!

Maybe someone had a similar issue with S8 or a similar device and can guide me in a right direction.
I noticed that sometimes my S8 freezes during a start-up: display lights up and just shows ROLAND and that's it. Normally after couple of seconds it shows SYSTEM-8 on a second line and is ready to be used. I think that it occurs if I turn it off and turn immediately or even within couple of minutes after that. I noticed the problem only after the OS update when I had to restart it and I first was under impression OS updater has just bricked it.
But I think if I wait for some time and turn it on it starts-up normally, so it doesn't feel like an OS error to me, though I did downgrade and factory reset it just in case (no result). PSU also seems normal (as far as I can judge), changed power sockets and disconnected everything from it to check, behaviour always the same.

I had a SYSTEM-8 for about 4 years and used it sporadically as a hobbyist, but almost everyday recently. Really sad about this, because just a week ago my SH-01a simply died also.
I am afraid it can die completely or indicate some fault in the power supply that can potentially worsen the state of a synth and make it harder to repair. Otherwise I can use it for now.

Could this peculiar behaviour indicate an issue with something during the power up? It feels like I have to wait for it to "cool-off" or "discharge" before I can kickstart it.
You could try and reflash the latest firmware?
Old 25th August 2022 | Show parent
Quote:
Hi all!

Maybe someone had a similar issue with S8 or a similar device and can guide me in a right direction.
I noticed that sometimes my S8 freezes during a start-up: display lights up and just shows ROLAND and that's it. Normally after couple of seconds it shows SYSTEM-8 on a second line and is ready to be used. I think that it occurs if I turn it off and turn immediately or even within couple of minutes after that. I noticed the problem only after the OS update when I had to restart it and I first was under impression OS updater has just bricked it.
But I think if I wait for some time and turn it on it starts-up normally, so it doesn't feel like an OS error to me, though I did downgrade and factory reset it just in case (no result). PSU also seems normal (as far as I can judge), changed power sockets and disconnected everything from it to check, behaviour always the same.

I had a SYSTEM-8 for about 4 years and used it sporadically as a hobbyist, but almost everyday recently. Really sad about this, because just a week ago my SH-01a simply died also.
I am afraid it can die completely or indicate some fault in the power supply that can potentially worsen the state of a synth and make it harder to repair. Otherwise I can use it for now.

Could this peculiar behaviour indicate an issue with something during the power up? It feels like I have to wait for it to "cool-off" or "discharge" before I can kickstart it.
A good thing to do when you have strange electronic issues is opening it up. Cleaning all dust. Do your positive wishes to your instrument, and power cycle.

This gentleman opened it up for everyone too see it on the inside!
Old 4th October 2022 | Show parent

🎧 5 years
if you install the trial version of the Roland cloud , can you load the JP4 and just leave it there without purchasing the lifetime key thing?
Would love the JP4 on my S8 but don't want the cloud subscription.
Would buy the lifetime key when I have a bit more budget anyway mind you. Thanks a lot!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobio ➡️
if you install the trial version of the Roland cloud , can you load the JP4 and just leave it there without purchasing the lifetime key thing?
Would love the JP4 on my S8 but don't want the cloud subscription.
Would buy the lifetime key when I have a bit more budget anyway mind you. Thanks a lot!
Yes. As long as the plugin is not inserted while in demo mode, it will stay there forever
Old 4th October 2022
Lives for gear

MF for the win.

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrinsen ➡️
Yes. As long as the plugin is not inserted while in demo mode, it will stay there forever
Thx. That's good news.
What is demo mode if I may ask? Cheers
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobio ➡️
Thx. That's good news.
What is demo mode if I may ask? Cheers
After the trial has expired, all plugins you don't have a lifetime license of will turn into demo mode (it will burst noise every now and then in your DAW and it will be removed after a power cycle of your plug-out hardware).

So even after your trial has expired, you can subscribe for just 1 month to put any of the plug-outs into your hardware and stop the subscription after that.

The only reason to buy a lifetime key is when you want to use it inside your DAW or if you want to be able to switch the plug-out slots of your hardware regularly (and don't want to subscribe obviously).
Lives for gear

The plugins will still work as librarians for the plugout in demo mode, though - you just can't re-send them to the synth as plugouts if you wanted to.
Old 9th October 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hi all!

Hello,
I have exactly the same issue.
I wrote to Roland, still waiting for a reply.
I started a thread about it (not sure if it's the correct thing to do, I'm still quite new to the forum):

Roland System 8 stuck on power up
Old 24th October 2022
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything on the topic:

Does anyone know where I can get some metal replacement knobs for the System 8? I've seen a few "modded" System 8 keyboards that had what to me looked like vintage-style knobs, and I thought it looked pretty cool.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
Old 24th October 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariohardleft ➡️
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything on the topic:

Does anyone know where I can get some metal replacement knobs for the System 8? I've seen a few "modded" System 8 keyboards that had what to me looked like vintage-style knobs, and I thought it looked pretty cool.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
I tried to find something. The problem I ran into was needing the D-shaft 6mm (I think 6mm) knobs. I eventually thought "Why not go with circular 6mm shafts with a hex socket screw and just tighten it that way?"

Well - that didn't work out, because it pushed the knob cap to the side slightly, so when you turn it it doesn't stay centered and I hated it. So I eventually gave up on this prospect.
Old 1st November 2022 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by acemonvw ➡️
I tried to find something. The problem I ran into was needing the D-shaft 6mm (I think 6mm) knobs. I eventually thought "Why not go with circular 6mm shafts with a hex socket screw and just tighten it that way?"

Well - that didn't work out, because it pushed the knob cap to the side slightly, so when you turn it it doesn't stay centered and I hated it. So I eventually gave up on this prospect.
I was contemplating something similar, along with the lexan overlay to have it look more retro & changing the color of lights. But then I decided the synth is actually marvellous just as it is, green lights and all.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoaT ➡️
I was contemplating something similar, along with the lexan overlay to have it look more retro & changing the color of lights. But then I decided the synth is actually marvellous just as it is, green lights and all.
I did just find out that Prophet 12 knobs (which are for sale) DO fit the System 8 perfectly. The only problem is... the indicator knob faces the wrong way. You could install the non-indicator versions and maybe just put your own painted marking on it to indicate its location, but that's a lot of money for something that isn't perfect (~$100).

On the actual look of the unit. I'm definitely not a fan of the look of the System 8 at all. I don't really think it's 'an acquired taste either, I think some people like it and some don't.

And while I apparently touched a nerve previously by stating I didn't like the keybed, I stand by that - it just doesn't feel good to play. It's not bad if you compare it to an Opsix keybed, but I have never enjoyed touching it, especially compared to the originals (Juno 60, JX3P, and... probably, although I've never used it, the Jupiter 8).

That said - it excels at a lot of things and so I do enjoy using it and having it around. But the green lights, the basic knobs, and the keybed (as well as the lack of actual stereo panning apart from the pan delay) keep me from totally loving it.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I did just find out that Prophet 12 knobs (which are for sale) DO fit the System 8 perfectly. The only problem is... the indicator knob faces the wrong way. You could install the non-indicator versions and maybe just put your own painted marking on it to indicate its location, but that's a lot of money for something that isn't perfect (~$100).

On the actual look of the unit. I'm definitely not a fan of the look of the System 8 at all. I don't really think it's 'an acquired taste either, I think some people like it and some don't.

And while I apparently touched a nerve previously by stating I didn't like the keybed, I stand by that - it just doesn't feel good to play. It's not bad if you compare it to an Opsix keybed, but I have never enjoyed touching it, especially compared to the originals (Juno 60, JX3P, and... probably, although I've never used it, the Jupiter 8).

That said - it excels at a lot of things and so I do enjoy using it and having it around. But the green lights, the basic knobs, and the keybed (as well as the lack of actual stereo panning apart from the pan delay) keep me from totally loving it.
I was kind of on the fence with it. I actually sold it once, but traded it back later. When I installed Juno60 model on the slot previously occupied by juno 106 model and Jupiter 4 in the slot previously occupied by jx3p model, it changed into a definite keeper.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoaT ➡️
I was kind of on the fence with it. I actually sold it once, but traded it back later. When I installed Juno60 model on the slot previously occupied by juno 106 model and Jupiter 4 in the slot previously occupied by jx3p model, it changed into a definite keeper.
Interesting. I have the Juno 60 model on which is way better than the Juno 106 (and I felt the same way about an actual 106 and 60, I own a 6 and it's far better than a 106).

I want to swap out something for the Jupiter 4, but I actually like the JX3P plug out, it's not at all as good as the original... but it still does some really cool things. But I'd love to test out a J4 on there. Just waffling on what I'd swap out. I'd maybe consider swapping out the Jupiter 8, but I quite enjoy Oscillator 2 as an LFO and the random arpeggiator on it. Not sure why they couldn't have random arps on the other engines, but what do I know.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Interesting. I have the Juno 60 model on which is way better than the Juno 106 (and I felt the same way about an actual 106 and 60, I own a 6 and it's far better than a 106).

I want to swap out something for the Jupiter 4, but I actually like the JX3P plug out, it's not at all as good as the original... but it still does some really cool things. But I'd love to test out a J4 on there. Just waffling on what I'd swap out. I'd maybe consider swapping out the Jupiter 8, but I quite enjoy Oscillator 2 as an LFO and the random arpeggiator on it. Not sure why they couldn't have random arps on the other engines, but what do I know.
To me, the Jup4 is really good sounding emulation. Juno60 is also stellar. I liked jx3p too, and Juno106 was the main reason I got the thing originally. But swapping them was the right thing to do. Juno60 gives all that's needed from 106 and then some. Jupiter 4 rised the whole concept to next level. It is organic in a way no other virtual analog is. At least the ones I have had a joy to play.
Old 2nd November 2022
Lives for gear

Just bought one - excited to check it out
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphNYC ➡️
Just bought one - excited to check it out
The weirder filters on the S8 engine is what makes this special imo - and of course it has that killer Roland analogue sound nailed. Great sounding synth, very lush and punchy.

I want to try the Jupiter 4 plug out that seems the most vintage sounding by far.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Call me crazy, but I prefer the sound of the 106 over the 60. They're both good, but I chose to keep the 106 in my System-8 and use the 60 as a plugin.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedgin ➡️
I want to try the Jupiter 4 plug out that seems the most vintage sounding by far.
It is. I dropped the JX-3P for the JP-4 as soon as it was released.

It's the first (and so far, only) ACB model that has a "vintage" knob — per-voice offsets for pitch, filter cutoff/resonance, and envelope timings (and maybe other stuff). They call it "Circuit Mod", and on the System-8 you can control it with the Color knob in the (otherwise unused) OSC 3 section.

This feature makes the JP-4 plugout come alive in a way that's missing in the other plugouts. They really need to add this feature to all of them. They do have a "Condition" setting in the menu, but it's quite subtle and doesn't do much.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild ➡️

It's the first (and so far, only) ACB model that has a "vintage" knob — per-voice offsets for pitch, filter cutoff/resonance, and envelope timings (and maybe other stuff). They call it "Circuit Mod", and on the System-8 you can control it with the Color knob in the (otherwise unused) OSC 3 section.

This feature makes the JP-4 plugout come alive in a way that's missing in the other plugouts. They really need to add this feature to all of them. They do have a "Condition" setting in the menu, but it's quite subtle and doesn't do much.
Hi @ Stormchild ,

Would you say the JP-4 is their best synth soft synth in the Roland Cloud/System 8 Plugout series ? if not, which one do you like the most ?

I subscribe to the Roland Cloud, but have not installed the JP-4 yet, the demos of this synth sound a big step above the rest to my ears.

Thanks,
Muziksculp
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp ➡️
Hi @ Stormchild ,

Would you say the JP-4 is their best synth soft synth in the Roland Cloud/System 8 Plugout series ? if not, which one do you like the most ?

I subscribe to the Roland Cloud, but have not installed the JP-4 yet, the demos of this synth sound a big step above the rest to my ears.
Of the poly synth emulations, the Jupiter-4 is the most vintage sounding (which is true of the hardware as well), but for me it's in a three-way tie with the Jupiter-8 and Juno-106 (so I keep those three installed in my System-8). I would definitely like to have the original hardware of all three if I could, as each one has its own character.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Of the poly synth emulations, the Jupiter-4 is the most vintage sounding (which is true of the hardware as well), but for me it's in a three-way tie with the Jupiter-8 and Juno-106 (so I keep those three installed in my System-8). I would definitely like to have the original hardware of all three if I could, as each one has its own character.
Do you have any of the originals, which helped you decide which to keep on the System 8?

I currently have a JX3P and a Juno 6, but they're both large keyboards that don't always have room in the studio to use, with the Juno 6 being much larger, similar in size to something like the Prophet 5/10.

The Juno is a much better emulation of the original. I think they were much farther off with the JX3P emulation, at least relative to my unit.
Lives for gear

Quote:

How 'broken' can the circuit mod get?

Don't suppose you've used Prophet/OB-6 vintage knob to compare it to?

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedgin ➡️
How 'broken' can the circuit mod get?

Don't suppose you've used Prophet/OB-6 vintage knob to compare it to?
It gets quite out of tune if you crank it to the max. But it is easy to dial in just the right amount. As with almost everything audio the best results are achieved by adding until you hear it and then dialing back just a bit.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
So to get this straight: if i want the JP4 and Juno60 in my S8 I need to buy lifetime licenses, I dont need to subscribe to the cloud for 1 month to be able to test and port these to my HW?
Lives for gear

21 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician ➡️
So to get this straight: if i want the JP4 and Juno60 in my S8 I need to buy lifetime licenses, I dont need to subscribe to the cloud for 1 month to be able to test and port these to my HW?
I'm pretty sure you can just demo them via a subscription for one month, push them to your System-8 as Plug-Outs and that's it! That would be the cheapest way to acquire them. There's no copy protection on Plug-Outs so I kind of assume Roland just feels like that's a perk of spending 1.5k on the hardware. It's nice using the software as a librarian though, at which point, yeah, just buy the lifetime key.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Do you have any of the originals, which helped you decide which to keep on the System 8?

I currently have a JX3P and a Juno 6, but they're both large keyboards that don't always have room in the studio to use, with the Juno 6 being much larger, similar in size to something like the Prophet 5/10.

The Juno is a much better emulation of the original. I think they were much farther off with the JX3P emulation, at least relative to my unit.
I had a JX3P years ago (which died). When I got the JX-03 Boutique, I thought it sounded spot on from memory. I then got a real JX3p again after selling the JX03. (so couldn't directly compare)

Now have a System 8 and playing them along side, they don't sound alike as I thought they did. The best emulation on the System 8 (imho) is the Juno 60. (Better than the 106 imo).

Think I am going to purchase the JP4 plugout and replace the JX3P, as I don't really use it now I have the real McCoy.

I have a sneaky feeling they may do the JX8P for it. (they did ACB and ABM versions of their other classics, so its not totally out of the question)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat ➡️
I had a JX3P years ago (which died). When I got the JX-03 Boutique, I thought it sounded spot on from memory. I then got a real JX3p again after selling the JX03. (so couldn't directly compare)

Now have a System 8 and playing them along side, they don't sound alike as I thought they did. The best emulation on the System 8 (imho) is the Juno 60. (Better than the 106 imo).

Think I am going to purchase the JP4 plugout and replace the JX3P, as I don't really use it now I have the real McCoy.

I have a sneaky feeling they may do the JX8P for it. (they did ACB and ABM versions of their other classics, so its not totally out of the question)
Let them do the JP-8000 first
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehudi ➡️
Let them do the JP-8000 first
I'll be honest with you. JP8000 plug out just does not interest me at all. I recently sold my JP8080 and don't miss it at all.

I can see an ABM Boutique version possibly happening, but not so sure they'd take the trouble to do an ACB version for System 8.

JP6, Alpha Juno and JX8P would be higher up on the 'to do' list I believe.
📝 Reply