The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland System 8
Old 25th August 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seqai ➡️
Hi all!

Maybe someone had a similar issue with S8 or a similar device and can guide me in a right direction.
I noticed that sometimes my S8 freezes during a start-up: display lights up and just shows ROLAND and that's it. Normally after couple of seconds it shows SYSTEM-8 on a second line and is ready to be used. I think that it occurs if I turn it off and turn immediately or even within couple of minutes after that. I noticed the problem only after the OS update when I had to restart it and I first was under impression OS updater has just bricked it.
But I think if I wait for some time and turn it on it starts-up normally, so it doesn't feel like an OS error to me, though I did downgrade and factory reset it just in case (no result). PSU also seems normal (as far as I can judge), changed power sockets and disconnected everything from it to check, behaviour always the same.

I had a SYSTEM-8 for about 4 years and used it sporadically as a hobbyist, but almost everyday recently. Really sad about this, because just a week ago my SH-01a simply died also.
I am afraid it can die completely or indicate some fault in the power supply that can potentially worsen the state of a synth and make it harder to repair. Otherwise I can use it for now.

Could this peculiar behaviour indicate an issue with something during the power up? It feels like I have to wait for it to "cool-off" or "discharge" before I can kickstart it.
You could try and reflash the latest firmware?
Old 25th August 2022 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by seqai ➡️
Hi all!

Maybe someone had a similar issue with S8 or a similar device and can guide me in a right direction.
I noticed that sometimes my S8 freezes during a start-up: display lights up and just shows ROLAND and that's it. Normally after couple of seconds it shows SYSTEM-8 on a second line and is ready to be used. I think that it occurs if I turn it off and turn immediately or even within couple of minutes after that. I noticed the problem only after the OS update when I had to restart it and I first was under impression OS updater has just bricked it.
But I think if I wait for some time and turn it on it starts-up normally, so it doesn't feel like an OS error to me, though I did downgrade and factory reset it just in case (no result). PSU also seems normal (as far as I can judge), changed power sockets and disconnected everything from it to check, behaviour always the same.

I had a SYSTEM-8 for about 4 years and used it sporadically as a hobbyist, but almost everyday recently. Really sad about this, because just a week ago my SH-01a simply died also.
I am afraid it can die completely or indicate some fault in the power supply that can potentially worsen the state of a synth and make it harder to repair. Otherwise I can use it for now.

Could this peculiar behaviour indicate an issue with something during the power up? It feels like I have to wait for it to "cool-off" or "discharge" before I can kickstart it.
A good thing to do when you have strange electronic issues is opening it up. Cleaning all dust. Do your positive wishes to your instrument, and power cycle.

This gentleman opened it up for everyone too see it on the inside!
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
if you install the trial version of the Roland cloud , can you load the JP4 and just leave it there without purchasing the lifetime key thing?
Would love the JP4 on my S8 but don't want the cloud subscription.
Would buy the lifetime key when I have a bit more budget anyway mind you. Thanks a lot!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobio ➡️
if you install the trial version of the Roland cloud , can you load the JP4 and just leave it there without purchasing the lifetime key thing?
Would love the JP4 on my S8 but don't want the cloud subscription.
Would buy the lifetime key when I have a bit more budget anyway mind you. Thanks a lot!
Yes. As long as the plugin is not inserted while in demo mode, it will stay there forever
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

MF for the win.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrinsen ➡️
Yes. As long as the plugin is not inserted while in demo mode, it will stay there forever
Thx. That's good news.
What is demo mode if I may ask? Cheers
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobio ➡️
Thx. That's good news.
What is demo mode if I may ask? Cheers
After the trial has expired, all plugins you don't have a lifetime license of will turn into demo mode (it will burst noise every now and then in your DAW and it will be removed after a power cycle of your plug-out hardware).

So even after your trial has expired, you can subscribe for just 1 month to put any of the plug-outs into your hardware and stop the subscription after that.

The only reason to buy a lifetime key is when you want to use it inside your DAW or if you want to be able to switch the plug-out slots of your hardware regularly (and don't want to subscribe obviously).
Old 23 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Addict
The plugins will still work as librarians for the plugout in demo mode, though - you just can't re-send them to the synth as plugouts if you wanted to.
📝 Reply