Roland System 8 - Page 322 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland System 8
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elf ➡️
What I have described to you is how to work with the S8 plug-in over USB in Cubase. How the editor you are using works I have no idea. I just offered it as something to try.
Ok sorry. Yes, I have never downloaded any plugs from Roland. I'm very happy with the 3 plug-outs.

I'll give things a fresh start, trying to make it work with Momos editor.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Patch compatibility between system 8 hardware and plug-in

System-8 has a number of under the hood effect parameters like a delay feedback setting (DlyFeedback) which cannot be accessed from the front panel.
I am surprised that I can not find these parameters in the plugin version (VST) of the the system 8. Did I miss these somehow?

If they don't exist in the software what happens when transferring patches from the System-8 to the plugin version in the DAW?

thanks for any hints!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by interruptor ➡️
System-8 has a number of under the hood effect parameters like a delay feedback setting (DlyFeedback) which cannot be accessed from the front panel.
I am surprised that I can not find these parameters in the plugin version (VST) of the the system 8. Did I miss these somehow?

If they don't exist in the software what happens when transferring patches from the System-8 to the plugin version in the DAW?

thanks for any hints!
Yes I noticed this too; any changes under the hood are NOT heard in the plugin version. I found out about this when I had a patch on my hardware where I lowered the dry level of the reverb, and it sounded totally different after transferring it to the plugin… I actually contacted Roland about this, but they didn’t promise anything.

Also, I found out that the Mod reverb on the plugin is actually the Hall reverb. So when you send a patch fron hardware to software where you have the Mod reverb applied, it will sound different as well.. This is a bug which I really hope they will fix..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Indeed, these parameters don't show up in the DAW. However they are there, can be edited and saved. If you check your automation parameter list they are accessible, but it is undoubtedly a bit of a faff.

In fact I wrote about here when I created some sounds for the S-8. Down the page there's info about how to use these in Logic X.

Hope that helps someone, but it would be far simpler if they added GUI controls for them.

Last edited by Soundsauca; 1 week ago at 02:03 PM.. Reason: Typo
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsauca ➡️
Indeed, these parameters don't show up in the DAW. However they are there, can be edited and saved. If you check your automation parameter list they are accessible, but it is undoubtedly a bit of a faff.

In fact I wrote about here when I created some sounds for the S-8. Down the page there's info about how to use these in Logic X.

Hope that helps someone, but it would be far simpler if they added GUI controls for them.
Are you sure? See my above post
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi MPrinson,

I can't confirm the transfer of settings. But you can definitely access some of those parameters in the DAW as I tested with the dry wet reverb send. Maybe a plugin revision changed something with regard to this at some point. I wonder if they transfer from the DAW back to the S-8 in that case.

Hmm, strange.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsauca ➡️
Hi MPrinson,

I can't confirm the transfer of settings. But you can definitely access some of those parameters in the DAW as I tested with the dry wet reverb send. Maybe a plugin revision changed something with regard to this at some point. I wonder if they transfer from the DAW back to the S-8 in that case.

Hmm, strange.
Yes I think they DO store the settings in the plugin patch, as they are sent back to the hardware when you click Send.
Here for the gear

All System 8. Really pleased with the Guitar patch.

Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth61 ➡️

Beautiful piece.

You know, although the System-8 misses out on basic concepts like aftertouch or a decent keyboard, a lot of known musicians seem to like for what it does well: its sound and its hands-on control. People/bands I recall using the instrument are Cuckoo, Jean Michel Jarre, Tangerine Dream. Whom else?
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIgnis ➡️
Beautiful piece.

You know, although the System-8 misses out on basic concepts like aftertouch or a decent keyboard, a lot of known musicians seem to like for what it does well: its sound and its hands-on control. People/bands I recall using the instrument are Cuckoo, Jean Michel Jarre, Tangerine Dream. Whom else?
Thank you.
Tears For Fears are using it live too.
Attached Thumbnails
Roland System 8-screenshot-2022-01-09-13.09.39.png  
Here for the gear
Quote:
Beautiful piece.

Heaven 17 currently uses one when touring.
Gear Maniac
Rachel K Collier as well (knobs in red ).
Attached Thumbnails
Roland System 8-knipsel.png  
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth61 ➡️

Very, very good. My System 8 was nearing the door, this piece has changed my mind!

Lives for gear

Quote:
Beautiful piece.

Yes. The S8 has some obvious limitations, but as soon as you just embrace them and explore all its possibilities despite its limitations, you will fall in love with what it does, since it does it so well! Eventually, there is one thing that matters the most, and that’s a good sound, which it will deliver!

I have a few much deeper and more complex synths (like Peak, Hydrasynth), but this one still is my favorite if I just want a good sound and fast. Also really playable, so instead of using aftertouch, you just reach the knobs to create more movement
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I'm back baby. Picked up another S8. It sounds and feels fantastic. I will definitely miss the sound of the prologue 16 I'm selling to fund the purchase, but I think S8 just has more possibilities and a more complete control surface.

Already loaded SH-2 plug. It sounds really good. I may swap it for the 101 plugout in a while. although not as fat, I love its simplicity and it sounds great too.
Here for the gear

It's my second S8. I sold the first one and since learnt a lot more about programming.
I think the S8 is so underrated.
Also the sequencers, two of them in performance mode is worth it all by itself.
Yes it's digital, it's light, has green lights and a strange choice of keyed but blimey, it's one hell of a synth.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
People/bands I recall using the instrument are

Jean Michel Jarre
Yeah - he does. As a stage prop.

*Disclaimer - I own a System 8 and am happy with mine although I would have preferred 61 full sized keys.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Rachel K Collier as well (knobs in red ).
Whoever believed in coincidence.

S8 - check (minus the nail polish on the sliders)
P08 - check
Audio Technica's - check
Bass Guitar - check (although mine's a Fender J, not a P)
IOF
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrinsen ➡️
Yes. The S8 has some obvious limitations, but as soon as you just embrace them and explore all its possibilities despite its limitations, you will fall in love with what it does, since it does it so well! Eventually, there is one thing that matters the most, and that’s a good sound, which it will deliver!

I have a few much deeper and more complex synths (like Peak, Hydrasynth), but this one still is my favorite if I just want a good sound and fast. Also really playable, so instead of using aftertouch, you just reach the knobs to create more movement
You know I realized a while back that some of the musical sounds that I loved the most were not made by synths with overly sophisticated routing or modulation capabilities. I have a few of those synths and never use them to their fullest. If I want some really intensely modified sound I tend to go to the computer for Reaktor or Max/MSP for treatment in Ableton. Most of what I do I can get done with the System 8, Prophet 10, Mini D, 2600, and some FM synthesis.
Here for the gear

Well this is rather inspiring, for S8 owners

Lives for gear

Quote:
People/bands I recall using the instrument are Cuckoo, Jean Michel Jarre, Tangerine Dream. Whom else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by asbak ➡️
So true. On the "Oxygene Live In Your Living Room" he similarly had a JP-8080 not-touched-but-present. One can only assume he just can't bear to be far from a Roland, even if he isn't using it.

Meanwhile: people using the System-8? A lot of us around here (Gearspace). When I first saw one (in a synth shop), I was only mildly interested; Jupiters and Junos didn't figure large in my synth designs. But the S8 engine itself -- wow!
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by asbak ➡️

*Disclaimer - I own a System 8 and am happy with mine although I would have preferred 61 full sized keys.
It’s more than a prop. If you look at his latest live concerts you see the System 8 more often than not as his upper center piece, and he is playing it.
For instance go look at the “connection concert” between minute 16 and 17 .
Here for the gear
Quote:
It’s more than a prop. If you look at his latest live concerts you see the System 8 more often than not as his upper center piece, and he is playing it.
For instance go look at the “connection concert” between minute 16 and 17 .
...and if you look even closer, his System 8 has only one connection: power, so it lights up. The audio from that synth is going nowhere. That's why he's using it as a "prop".
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtHor ➡️
...and if you look even closer, his System 8 has only one connection: power, so it lights up. The audio from that synth is going nowhere. That's why he's using it as a "prop".
The regular audio connections don't have to go anywhere. System 8 has audio over USB.

In what youtube and time moment can we see only power is connected?
Here for the gear
Quote:
The regular audio connections don't have to go anywhere. System 8 has audio over USB.

In what youtube and time moment can we see only power is connected?
It's been talked about here and on the System 8 group on Facebook. Do a search and you will find the discussions with screen captures where you can see him "playing" his System 8, a TB-3 and TR-8, all of which have only a power cable plugged in - no USB, no audio, nothing.
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtHor ➡️
It's been talked about here and on the System 8 group on Facebook. Do a search and you will find the discussions with screen captures where you can see him "playing" his System 8, a TB-3 and TR-8, all of which have only a power cable plugged in - no USB, no audio, nothing.
Of course 90% of all his concerts will be prerecorded, and maybe even 100% could be. And of course you will find takes from playback sessions where only power is plugged in. But can someone provide at least one picture or other proof of the system-8 in a JMJ life concert where he is playing it and only power is connected? I'm willing to believe it, just not by hearsay.

Edit : in this interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYEbKBDm9uA
JMJ himself is admitting that a great deal of the keyboards in his gig are used as a midi controlling desk rather than pure playing. Nevertheless that should at least mean the MIDI or USB would be connected, not only the power.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
But can someone provide at least one picture or other proof of the system-8 in a JMJ life concert where he is playing it and only power is connected? I'm willing to believe it, just not by hearsay.
Seattle Paramount Theatre concert apparently, using standard outputs though.

Roland System 8-jmj.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Roland System 8-jmj.jpg  
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

System 8 piano, arps, bass.

Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I was messing around with the System 8 tonight and randomly created a semi-TB-303 sort of sound using the Jupiter 8 plug out - I liked it at least. It’s pretty cool what the System 8 can do. I had also come up with some awesome FM bells earlier using the S8 engine, but ended up not saving the patch because I ran out of places to store them.

Biggest downside of the S8 is that damn patch storage. If I could easily send all the patches out from just a single plug out and transfer them back in easily, that would have been awesome….

Anyway, here’s the sound:

Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Confused about the many complaints about S8 patch storage. It's been the Roland way (and other manufacturers) to provide memory card slots for decades.

Insert a SD card into the S8, save, done.

I have a 4GB SD ($4.00 item, give or take) card in mine.
📝 Reply