Roland System 8 - Page 319 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland System 8
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn78 ➡️
Have there been any widespread reliability issues with the S8? I had one and it completely died within a month (wouldn’t power on)
I think that may be the first one I've ever heard of dying
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert ➡️
ITo me the only reason to buy new is if I am not sure about an item and then I can send it back.
^^ THIS ^^

That said, most electronics fail within the first year if there’s a systemic component failure issue, so buying new with a 2 year warranty is a great way to improve your chances of not getting a bad used purchase - which is absolutely a gamble.
Gear Nut
Quote:
Have there been any widespread reliability issues with the S8? I had one and it completely died within a month (wouldn’t power on) so I sent it back and got a prologue, which has been great. But I love the classic Roland sound above all others so I still have the S8 itch. But I am worried about another one dying and having to pay for repairs.
No rumours in that direction. Mine ‘s one of the first I think and still going as strong as on day 1.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Have there been any widespread reliability issues with the S8?
None here. I really like mine.

My only wish is for a decent Editor/Librarian. I bet MidiQuest will release one, but it's going to take another 5 years.

The only one I have used is from Momo, and I have never been able to set it up working properly with Cubase. I can't even save/load patches with it. Part of the reason I think is language barrier..

Anyway, working 100% to my knowledge.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnochLight ➡️
System 8 isn’t that kind of synth. It’s a “take it to the grave with me” kind of synth. Buying used is always an extremely risky venture with electronics, but if you want to save a buck then that’s probably a good approach.
honestly I've bought more than a dozen used synths and never had an issue except the S8. And luckily it was from a dealer so they just took it back. But then again I was never buying 80s era stuff.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
honestly I've bout more than a dozen used synths and never had an issue except the S8. .
Like I said, luck of the draw. Statistically the S8 is super reliable and has a very low failure rate. It's all ACB (virtual emulation) so it's not like there's actual filters or oscillators that can fail.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Statistically the S8 is super reliable
Where did you find those statistics?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I think I paid $950 for mine used, not a scratch on it. Pretty sure I could at least sell it for what I paid.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat ➡️
I was one of the nay sayers on the Jupiter X/Xm vs the System 8 thing, feeling I preferred the Jupiter versions of the emulations, however having listened to the updated OS with the new FM stuff .....just wow!

I am thinking about getting one again just for that alone. Bit late to the party but that is one hell of an update. Turns it into a whole new synth, particularly combined with the S8's performance tools and features. .
What new update with FM? The one that came years ago, long before you were naysaying the System-8?
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaks Dude ➡️
I think I paid $950 for mine used, not a scratch on it. Pretty sure I could at least sell it for what I paid.
That's the best price I've seen for years. where did you get it?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc ➡️
What new update with FM? The one that came years ago, long before you were naysaying the System-8?
I had a System 8 in some time ago that I based my opinion on. It had not been updated with the new OS that contained all the FM stuff. I only recently got to see what the FM update could do via yotube vids.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert ➡️
Where did you find those statistics?
From the statistics master himself, Garry Shandling.

On a serious note, this thread alone has a great track record for S8 reliability:
Attached Images
Roland System 8-stasmishtics.png 
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Do you think Roland will do any more models for the S8 seeing as its still a current seller? I thought the JX8P would have been the next possible candidate as its a fairly simple synth, but perhaps Rolands focus is now purely the Zen core stuff.

My interest is the FM update on the System 8 engine, but would be good to know if they will carry on supporting it.
Gear Nut
Quote:
Do you think Roland will do any more models for the S8 seeing as its still a current seller? I thought the JX8P would have been the next possible candidate as its a fairly simple synth, but perhaps Rolands focus is now purely the Zen core stuff.

My interest is the FM update on the System 8 engine, but would be good to know if they will carry on supporting it.
When it comes to further developement, it is not probable, the Aria team used to have a spin-off in the Boutique series where ACB was also being used. But seeing that he latest boutique models are using the Zen technology, I expect Roland to cut off the Aira development. The last news on the Aira website was the MC707 which dates back from 2019.

When it comes to support, it looks they are still actively supporting the System8, which is not illogical since they still sell it. A new update for instance is available for Win11 PC this month. The only other change to the system this year (and since 2018) was adding support for the Juno60 plugout earlier this year, which can hardly be seen as a major breakthough.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIgnis ➡️
When it comes to further developement, it is not probable, the Aria team used to have a spin-off in the Boutique series where ACB was also being used. But seeing that he latest boutique models are using the Zen technology, I expect Roland to cut off the Aira development. The last news on the Aira website was the MC707 which dates back from 2019.

When it comes to support, it looks they are still actively supporting the System8, which is not illogical since they still sell it. A new update for instance is available for Win11 PC this month. The only other change to the system this year (and since 2018) was adding support for the Juno60 plugout earlier this year, which can hardly be seen as a major breakthough.
I suspected a similar thought. I do wonder sometimes, what with the S8 having 3 BMC chips. and the Jupiter X/Xm only having one, whether Roland could run some sort of emulation program, so they could add Zencore models to the System 8 (like a PC/Mac emulation app). I would have thought the S8 has the extra grunt to handle something along those lines. Sounds long winded and stupid, but would keep S8 owners happy with future models without having to completely design new models for an older system.
Gear Nut

Quote:

I've wondered if they would do a JP-8000 plugout... not that it would use ACB. I guess the S8 engine kind of covers this ground but I'd bet a lot of people would be interested in both a plugout and a boutique.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I've wondered if they would do a JP-8000 plugout... not that it would use ACB. I guess the S8 engine kind of covers this ground but I'd bet a lot of people would be interested in both a plugout and a boutique.
I have a JP8080. I would not want a port of it. I see it as the VA generation after analog.

A VA rendition of a VA on S8 or JPX/XM? ...hmmm.. I don't really use it much these days. I would prefer to see D50 on the Jupiter X tbh. (I'm not sure what tech they used for the D-05 Boutique version)
Gear Maniac

Quote:
(I'm not sure what tech they used for the D-05 Boutique version)
they use DCB for the D-05
Gear Addict
Quote:
That's the best price I've seen for years. where did you get it?
Either from a really good friend or someone really desperate for money.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It would not surprise me that the exact same devs that did ACB now do Zencore. It's not like they have a whole separate team. As such, I suspect that it'll be Zencore stuff from here on out. I was shocked that they did the Juno 60 in ACB earlier this year and gave it to System 8 owners. Probably the last time that will ever happen, though.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It would not surprise me that the exact same devs that did ACB now do Zencore. It's not like they have a whole separate team. As such, I suspect that it'll be Zencore stuff from here on out. I was shocked that they did the Juno 60 in ACB earlier this year and gave it to System 8 owners. Probably the last time that will ever happen, though.
I think if they finally drop the System 8, I predict they will do a cheaper cutdown Jupiter X called the Juno X.

Perhaps in a high quality Juno 106 style metal chassis with 5 oct keyboard, with maybe half the model slots of the JPX (no XV or RD as standard) and no i-Arp. but the same basic step/realtime sequencer of the S8.
Gear Nut
Quote:
I think if they finally drop the System 8, I predict they will do a cheaper cutdown Jupiter X called the Juno X.

Perhaps in a high quality Juno 106 style metal chassis with 5 oct keyboard, with maybe half the model slots of the JPX (no XV or RD as standard) and no i-Arp. but the same basic step/realtime sequencer of the S8.
The System-8 helped me get back the fun of playing the Jupiter-8 and the Juno as I remembered trying them out during the eighties. I couldn't afford them back then.

Apart from the System 8, I now have the XV5080 (4 expansion cards), the Fantom X8 (2 expansion cards), the SE02 and the D05. Not to mention Arturia's Jup-8 V, Cherry Audio's Mercury 4, Krakli's SK7, Martin Lueders PG-8X, Tracktion's Retromod 106 and Roland's own System 100 plugout.

I believe I now have enough Rolandesque (vintage) stuff to keep me busy for the next two decades or so.

No Zen core for me unless Roland starts walking a totally new path of creating synthesized sounds. They have written history between the seventies and the first decade of this century, but since then they have been repeating themselves, except for maybe the pure system-8 engine itself. I hope Roland can reach a new breakthough soundwise, instead of technology wise.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIgnis ➡️
The System-8 helped me get back the fun of playing the Jupiter-8 and the Juno as I remembered trying them out during the eighties. I couldn't afford them back then.

Apart from the System 8, I now have the XV5080 (4 expansion cards), the Fantom X8 (2 expansion cards), the SE02 and the D05. Not to mention Arturia's Jup-8 V, Cherry Audio's Mercury 4, Krakli's SK7, Martin Lueders PG-8X, Tracktion's Retromod 106 and Roland's own System 100 plugout.

I believe I now have enough Rolandesque (vintage) stuff to keep me busy for the next two decades or so.

No Zen core for me unless Roland starts walking a totally new path of creating synthesized sounds. They have written history between the seventies and the first decade of this century, but since then they have been repeating themselves. I hope Roland can reach a new breakthough soundwise, instead of technology wise.
I don't disagree, however I bet they do do a cheaper version of the JPX to fill the lower end market when they finally drop the System 8.
Lives for gear

Quote:

That's not a bad idea. I could actually see them doing that.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I don't.

The concept wished for here, no one's really trying to see things like Roland does let's be real, is a vintage analog synth styled board with as little bells and whistles as possible.

If y'all haven't noticed by now Roland is going out of their way to not do that. Collectible miniature Boutiques, virtual Cloud, vintage studio in a box JP-X, nothing-vintage but actual analog JDs, etc. They've been in the area for years yet, even now that they're listening closely, they don't do this easy simple obvious thing, they don't give the faster horse.

Functionally speaking, the SYSTEMs and the not-loved-around-here modern SHs are what come closest to working like those old synths. The first are aimed at Dance/DJ, the later at beginners, satisfying the vintage aficionados isn't their priority. I expect both line will continue to evolve, they're still relevant, but the chances of them having a fancy vintage build plus a 5-O keyboard are slim.

Won't be called JUNO either: that brand is already in use for their successful line of easy to use keyboards for schools/bands/gigs/wtv. It's likely that they'll update that to join the Zen platform at some point, but the result won't be equivalent to a cut down JP-X.
📝 Reply