Quantcast
Roland System 8 - Page 316 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland System 8
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyf ➡️
There is a youtube video where he makes a supersaw lead on an SH-201. It sounds great!

He uses both layers and pans each layer to the side. I don't think the JP-8000/8080 could do this... I like the SH-201s approach here. I wonder if the V-Synth, or any other Roland Synth has this ability of layering and panning with the supersaw?

The V-Synth can layer two given its semi-module but you can’t pan them.

The ZenCore synths can pan each partial, which includes the Supersaw and you can use four per patch.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrinsen ➡️
The S8 can do this as well with performance mode
Hi would anyone with a S8 mind doing a video that features this?

Preferably a video that uses the supersaw in a context like the lead created in this SH-201 video.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
None of Roland's subsequent efforts sound like the original JP-8000 Supersaw. Neither does anything else in software I've heard trying to emulate it. There's a warmth and blend and softness on the original that's never been replicated, not even by Roland themselves.

The feedback osc on the JP-8000 is also quite unique.

These will become as treasured, if not more treasured, than the original Jupiter 8. Mark my words.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance ➡️
None of Roland's subsequent efforts sound like the original JP-8000 Supersaw. Neither does anything else in software I've heard trying to emulate it. There's a warmth and blend and softness on the original that's never been replicated, not even by Roland themselves.

The feedback osc on the JP-8000 is also quite unique.

These will become as treasured, if not more treasured, than the original Jupiter 8. Mark my words.
I like the JP8k and all, but you have some bolts loose if you think a mass produced VA synth is going to be "more treasured" than a Jupiter 8.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by space skeleton ➡️
I like the JP8k and all, but you have some bolts loose if you think a mass produced VA synth is going to be "more treasured" than a Jupiter 8.
I think you’re conflating treasured with its monetary value on the second hand market. It’ll never be as valuable as the JP8 just due to how many more 8000/8080’s are out there in the wild. The 8080 already sells for over 4 figures though, which is crazy IMO.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Also, in theory Roland could 1-1 recreate the JP-8000 in software form since it is already digital and they know the exact codes.

Recreating an analog synth in the digital domain might come as far as indistinguishable to the human ear, but it is theoretically impossible to recreate it 1-1. It will always be an approximation.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I think the JP8k pricing flowing upwards is just a result of the insane water table being set by Juno 60s/106s being over 2 grand now. "It's a knobby Roland! They made that whole era of late 90s Gatecrasher Trance on it!" (Isn't all that "hands in the air breakdown super theme" Dutch stuff due for a huge comeback with the whole Y2K aesthetic now in full swing?)
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrinsen ➡️
Also, in theory Roland could 1-1 recreate the JP-8000 in software form since it is already digital and they know the exact codes.

[...]
"Knowing the code" (assuming they still have that) is only part of the story: they also need to emulate the hardware the code runs on so that teh codez are ran in exactly the same way, and they'd need to emulate any JP-8000 output circuitry and such too. Roland has already made some vintage digital emulations, like the "DCB" D50, and the results haven't been bit-perfect as far as I've heard (thought only Roland really knows how in depth their emulations really are, so maybe they can do better).

(I'll note that if Zencore can sound the same across hardware/software it's because Roland is emulating its own hardware chips by my understanding, and I saw recently that some people are working on emulating old Motorola chips so that they can run old VAs on their computer. Video games have been doing this kind of stuff for a while.)

Anyway, I don't think many care about that level of detail thought: digital in people's mind are just fake 1s and 0s, unlike analog which is some kind of natural magic that transcends human comprehension and can never truly be captured. People care about the thing being analog in and of itself regardless of how it sounds, there's a lot of romantisme surrounding it.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox ➡️
"Knowing the code" (assuming they still have that) is only part of the story: they also need to emulate the hardware the code runs on so that teh codez are ran in exactly the same way, and they'd need to emulate any JP-8000 output circuitry and such too. Roland has already made some vintage digital emulations, like the "DCB" D50, and the results haven't been bit-perfect as far as I've heard (thought only Roland really knows how in depth their emulations really are, so maybe they can do better).

(I'll note that if Zencore can sound the same across hardware/software it's because Roland is emulating its own hardware chips by my understanding, and I saw recently that some people are working on emulating old Motorola chips so that they can run old VAs on their computer. Video games have been doing this kind of stuff for a while.)

Anyway, I don't think many care about that level of detail thought: digital in people's mind are just fake 1s and 0s, unlike analog which is some kind of natural magic that transcends human comprehension and can never truly be captured. People care about the thing being analog in and of itself regardless of how it sounds, there's a lot of romantisme surrounding it.
Ok you got a point, but I think those differences are pretty much neglectible.

Totally different thing for anyone interested in the differences between the System-1(m) and the System-8:

I was just trying to recreate a patch from my System-8 on my System-1m and (strangely after all these years) just found out that the amp envelope is quite different: at max settings the System-1m has a lot longer attack time, decay time and release time. I would suspect a polysynth to have longer envelope times, but strangely it is the other way around Both have sufficient long envelope times though imo. At the shortest settings, at least the decay times are both as short (about 3 ms).
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox ➡️
If they could do the D-50 that well I'd expect they still have all of what they need for a synth that came out 10 years later. The company I work for has operating code thats from the 70s Would find it hard to believe Roland doesn't have all that on hand.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
After the MV-1 and Jupiter-X/XM software companions, I guess the next Roland (dont-chase-ghost) synth will have one too.
📝 Reply