The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Orfium - lets talk about it.
Old 26th August 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Orfium - lets talk about it.

there has been a little chit chat in various threads about this new site "Orfium".. so thought I would start a dedicated discussion thread for it.

my initial thoughts...

"Orfium", on paper at least, looks to be an all in one music store, social media networking, streaming platform etc. solution. they say their aim was to create a one stop shop soundcloud, bandcamp, beatport, juno, spotify, youtube, insta snap face twit etc........ all rolled up into one site, yet with better royalty rates, user defined pricing, more user options and choices and so on. so you mean to say we can now actually control our own content and get paid for it?! sounds great!

hopefully they stay away from the standard affiliation partnerships we've seen with every other site.. hope they stay away from the above mentioned sites to keep this site truly globally accessible. reason being, just as soon as they affiliate themselves with those sites, they'll immediately loose literally about 2 billion potential users and customers. thats bad for everybody.

however, and this is a really big issue... as others mentioned in the other threads, the whole sign up id requirement thing is very strange. theyre based in the usa and require it for "tax reporting purposes", I suppose so uncle sam can keep tabs on who is making what and when, to compile data for tax time and hold people to the numbers they receive. hmm.. usually everyone in the diy money chain is responsible for their own tax reporting. but for everyone else, I mean the usa is only 5% of the entire world population after all, I am not sure how any of it is relevant. and labels have a much more stringent set of hoop jumping requirements. I havent found any clearly defined info. on the site about this.. probably in some fine print somewhere I have yet to discover.

I get theyre just trying to cover their own asses with the id thing, but to me, it clearly says they dont trust users enough to report their own taxes. theyre opening themselves up to potentially serious id legal issues (data mining, hackers, id theft etc.). and lets not forget, some artists prefer not to let the cat outta the bag.. to be (and built their entire brands on being) anonymous... are these artists just supposed to trust these unknown orfium people with their secret identities?! this is going to be a deal killer for many. they really need to rethink this requirement.

theyre charging a 20% flat fee from any/all sales. personally, I think this is too high for site just kicking off. perhaps 10-15% would be more appropriate for a noob on the scene. anyway. lets deduct from that financial institution fees (3-10%), so probably around 70-75% goes to artists dealing direct (not sure how often they pay?). however, if youre on a label, cut that by 50%. if the label uses a distributor, take an additional 15-30% off that total prior to label cut. basically, it ends up being just slightly better, if not quite similar to a lot of other stores... typical label artists will get a return of around 20-30% of the sale price. ok.

didnt see anything about their streaming rates yet... if its a set subscription rate, hopefully it'll be at least double what these other spotify's of the world (literally) crooks are charging. otherwise, they wont be getting my songs on their roster. good thing, apparently, we can opt out of streaming if we choose to do so. thats good.

and if theyre allowing users to upload, play, sell unofficial remixes, mix sets etc., how much are they paying the user and original copyright owner for this type of content use? I've already found several of my songs "remixed" on the site. well, nevertheless its promotion and if I will actually be paid fairly for the use of it, thats good too.

minus the id requirements, all in all its looking good, but still seems like a lot of gray areas...

anyway, on first look the site is just ok. nothing mind blowing. functional. a bit messy with the box on box type of scrolling and at times sluggish though. good idea, slightly poor execution thus far. as is maybe a 3 out of 5?

I truly hope they listen to user concerns, hash things out and get it right. I hope it takes off in a big way, because the industry needs serious change, like years ago already. with kickass and torrentz, the 2 biggest most used torrent sites - ip theft offenders that is, being shut down this month, its a slightly better time for releasing music, best time in years actually. I've signed up, but for now, just to monitor developments. I most definitely wont be submitting my id or content until I know more.

what say you?
Old 26th August 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I really like cake.
Old 26th August 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombilo ➡️
there has been a little chit chat in various threads about this new site "Orfium"..

id legal issues (data mining, hackers, id theft etc.).

what say you?
I happened to recommend that site.... sorry. I just read "the new soundcloud"...

I wouldn't send them sh*t! I wouldn't send anyone sh*t!!

Sooner or later that info will be stolen (if it doesn't get stolen the first time you send it).
And then someone can start massproducing passports or whatever with your name!
Its just a matter of time.

This is like the first rule of the internet. dont send sensitive info.
Old 26th August 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Yes they need change this stupid ID rules and take lesser than 20% like Bandcamp does. But if they do fix these, I like the idea too.
Old 27th August 2016 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik ➡️
This is like the first rule of the internet. dont send sensitive info.
agreed. I never have and never will. I sent the founder a message stressing these concerns and requesting they change this "stupid id rules"... if they listen and make the changes, it could be a great site to work with.
Old 27th August 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yeah I checked it out the other day after reading about it on here. It looks great but there's no way I'm sending them my ID. So I wonder whether it'll be the next big thing or a load of hot air.
Old 5th September 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Interesting developments. I read the owners are now decided to changing the ID rules so you can use just Paypal to verify the account soon. I guess they actually do listen to what we say!
Old 21st September 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hey guys,

This is Chris Mohoney, founder of Orfium. I was just invited to join this discussion via a comment on the article Attack Magazine did on us. First off I am definitely listening. I'm trying to solve some pretty difficult problems for everyone so listening is the most important thing I can do in order to better understand the nature of the problems. That said, we rolled out an alternative method of verification that only requires you to connect a verified PayPal account, that's it, no need to upload an ID if you can do that.

In regards to some of the tax questions (I’m also an accountant btw) we don’t withhold any taxes but depending on the payment method we use to pay royalties we could be required to file a 1099 or W-8 for non-US residents. All this does is reports how much we paid which the IRS uses to ensure the recipient did indeed report the amounts as income on their personal tax returns, but it does not require us to withhold anything. It’s not fun and I wish I didn’t have to do it, but the government requires all businesses in the US to do this. I believe we only have to do this for non-incorporated recipients of more than $600 per year in royalties. Also I believe that if we send payments via PayPal then PayPal takes care of this requirement automatically, but if we write a check then we definitely are required to do this.

Next up we are working updating the upload process which will include an organized upload manager and mass upload tool, as well as official support for podcasts and sets, and also we are working on improving discovery and recommendation algorithms to help the best music bubble up to the top. We actually have about 110 items on the dev's checklist right now so we are definitely busy, but trying hard to priortize the things that make the most sense to do first.

Anyway just wanted to thank you guys for starting this thread and conversation. I've never posted on here before so hopefully I get email notifications when someone replies, otherwise I'll try to remember to check back periodically. There is also a community run page on Facebook that I monitor here: https://www.*********************152729485157164/

Also if you drop a line in our support desk at [email protected] and ask for me I will personally reply if you need to get in touch. Cheers!

Last edited by Chris at Orfium; 21st September 2016 at 01:43 AM.. Reason: typo fixes
Old 21st September 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Well thats cool! Thanks for the update Chris. I'll certainly be joining now.
Old 22nd September 2016
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Thanks for the update.
Old 22nd September 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They also need to stop spamming me. I don't know where the hell they got my email address but I certainly didn't give it to them.

Right away I don't know why I should trust them.
Old 22nd September 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Interesting because I joined 3 week ago and have not received even one email since activating my account then.
Old 23rd September 2016
Deleted 3cb98a6
I don.t know..
Our band just joined but on andriod i.m having a hard time finding music within a subgenre. Some things just don.t seem to make sense.
If i choose "alternative rock"and search i get an offer for a song i could dig.Then zapping further using the arrow i feel as if it deviates from my chosen genre or steps out completely. Maybe 10 songs ahead i find somerthing i like, then i visit the groups page and ad them to favourites. But as soon as i back-up to the search result it has been reset to the start again, instead of picking up where i left.
Also...a proposal within a genre now leads to the display of all the songs of one band/group. Litterally clicking trough the entire album. This should only be one song..
If i like one song of artist x...i will find other songs myself.
To many genres aswell. I mean, Greek, holliday? Might aswell make a genre for every county in the world. And why Cristian music? Does Orfium also make a genre for Muslim, Hebrew etc...?

And what's up with this "everybody loves kayne" dude?
He is one hell of a musician. His music spans all genre. From reggea, to indie to pop to metal. I think promoting a song/artist in this manner (pushing it in search results even if not applicable) is not going to be appreciated by many.

Maybe a country filter in the search function would make a good addition? Or Europe, britian and States as searchable subdivisions.
Networking bands like to start close to home. As a European band i have no need for a rock band from Borneo.
Also for potential fans and the music industry in general it would be good if listeners would have the ability to search locally. If they find something they could actually go and see Live it would help artist, venue's and local or National musicscene's even more.

But we are still discovering...
Old 20th November 2018
Here for the gear

Worst website support EVER
📝 Reply