The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
JJC Wasp, a deluxe EDP Wasp clone
Old 4th August 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
JJC Wasp, a deluxe EDP Wasp clone

Just got a WASP!

JJC Wasp, a deluxe EDP Wasp clone-jjcwasp.jpg

My good friend Dojaja is now offering DIY kits and assembled units of this fabulous beast.

It is a much improved version of the original EDP Wasp, with proper steel&wood case, external audio input, MIDI-in, 4 CV inputs for controlling the filter and PWM, distortion, additional PWM LFO, and easily maintainable electronics. Available as a DIY kit or an assembled unit. If you ever wanted to own a wasp (apart from those in your attic), this is the one to get. Built with care in Slovenia.

More info&order: https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=151457
Attached Thumbnails
JJC Wasp, a deluxe EDP Wasp clone-jjcwasp.jpg  
Old 4th August 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
IMO the beauty of Wasp is the plastic case. It's light and portable. Sound is not THAT good that it would require Moog style casing I do love the BP filter when distorted.
Old 4th August 2016
Deleted User
Very interested in this. Are there any videos? Does the seller have a website?

I wonder what Chris Huggett makes of it.
Old 5th August 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Burrito ➑️
IMO the beauty of Wasp is the plastic case. It's light and portable. Sound is not THAT good that it would require Moog style casing I do love the BP filter when distorted.
I don't think only a Moog deserves a nice casing I'm a sucker for well built gear and this just feels like a solid piece. And IMO it sounds great!

Note that there's another wasp clone which is more portable (though missing some of the nice features from JJC Wasp): https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtop...b8c3e1c37824b4

Quote:
Very interested in this. Are there any videos? Does the seller have a website?
There is no website at the moment. I think there are also no videos, only sound demos. Maybe ask on Muffwiggler for a quick video demo?
Old 6th August 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
where is the order page?
Old 6th August 2016
Deleted cda76ca
So the kit version is Β£400 which is nothing for a fully functioning wasp.

The original was Β£200 in 1980's money (roughly 3 times the value)
Old 6th August 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
MUFFWINGLERS - Sorry, but the "humanizer" question must be answered.
Old 6th August 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
how do i contact the leader of the project ?
Old 7th August 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERHANS ➑️
Go to muffwiggler diy forum and search for jasper wasp. There are two builds there currently and am not 100% sure this is the jasper version but it looks like it. You'll either have to write in the forum you're interested or pm him and then wait if it's sold out. I was going to do it but I need to refine my soldering first.
Old 7th August 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
can i contact him here instead?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimboLoves ➑️
There are two builds there currently and am not 100% sure this is the jasper version but it looks like it.
Don't think so, though.
The photo of the Jasper on MuffWiggler shows the word "JASPER" on the panel.
This thread is called "JJC Wasp..." and the photo shows JJC Wasp #03 .

But I'll admit that both look like a Wasp.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Just follow the link at the top and get his email address, it's that easy. He responds quickly and is friendly.
Old 9th August 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Quote:
AFAIK he's not registered on this forum, for contact info and all other details check the link:https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=151457

Quote:
There are two builds there currently and am not 100% sure this is the jasper version but it looks like it.
There are currently two DIY versions that I'm aware of:

- JJC Wasp (object of discussion in this thread): bigger, steel&wood casing, more features, more $
- Jasper Wasp: smaller, more portable, less features, less $
Old 14th February 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibiking ➑️
There are currently two DIY versions that I'm aware of:

- JJC Wasp (object of discussion in this thread): bigger, steel&wood casing, more features, more $
- Jasper Wasp: smaller, more portable, less features, less $
Hi.
Can you or somebody else elaborate on the differences between the two clones above?
I've also found a Pixie clone (Australia)...
F.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavioB ➑️
Hi.
Can you or somebody else elaborate on the differences between the two clones above?
I've also found a Pixie clone (Australia)...
F.
Not sure about Jasper, check here: MUFF WIGGLER :: View topic - Jasper - Another Wasp Clone

JJC Wasp is a EDP Wasp clone, with these additional features:

- solid steel&wood case
- external audio input
- MIDI-in
- 4 CV inputs for controlling the filter and PWM
- notch filter
- distortion (on/off switch at the back of the unit)
- additional PWM LFO (switch at the back of the unit, with two fixed speeds)
- hold button
Old 14th February 2018
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Not very easy to find info on Jasper features, but based on JasperSynth – A Do-It-Yourself Clone Vintage Synthesiser and photos it looks like an EDP Wasp clone, with these features/changes:

- external audio input
- MIDI-in (with additional MIDI PCB: JasperMIDI PCB – JasperSynth)
- a mixer for osc1, osc2 and external in
- notch filter
- hold button
- some original components have been changed

So comparing JJC Wasp and Jasper:

- JJC Wasp has a biger, solid steel/wood enclosure and is heavier. Depending on your preferences, this can be an advantage, or you might prefer a smaller footprint of Jasper.
- JJC Wasp has these additional features: 4 CV inputs for controlling the filter and PWM, distortion and additional PWM LFO.
- Jasper has a mixer for osc1, osc2 and external in (similar to original Wasp Deluxe)
- Jasper has some different components from the original whereas JJC Wasp has original components (not 100% sure, check with the builder). Not sure if this affects the sound.
- You can get JJC Wasp fully built, while Jasper is a DIY kit. But I'm sure you can find someone to build it for you (on muffwiggler or somewhere else)
- Jasper is cheaper I think

As an owner of JJC Wasp, I think it's a great instrument and built like a tank. But I also woudn't mind a Jasper for live gigs

Last edited by ibiking; 18th February 2018 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: Added info that Jasper has a mixer for osc1, osc2 and external in
Old 14th February 2018
Deleted User
that's my Jasper, everyone can make his case like he wants to, it's DIY there have been different versions of the edp wasp too, the "normal wasp" came in cheapish plastic case which tends to break quite fast, and the wasp deluxe came in a wooden case. just counting the pots, the jasper seems to have 3 more than the JJC, which ones are missing on the JJC compared to the Jasper?
Attached Thumbnails
JJC Wasp, a deluxe EDP Wasp clone-20171013_202535.jpg   JJC Wasp, a deluxe EDP Wasp clone-20171013_202705.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibiking ➑️
So comparing JJC Wasp and Jasper:

- JJC Wasp has a biger, solid steel/wood enclosure and is heavier. Depending on your preferences, this can be an advantage, or you might prefer a smaller footprint of Jasper.
- JJC Wasp has some additional features: 4 CV inputs for controlling the filter and PWM, distortion and additional PWM LFO.
- Jasper has some different components from the original whereas JJC Wasp has original components (not 100% sure, check with the builder). Not sure if this affects the sound.
- You can get JJC Wasp fully built, while Jasper is a DIY kit. But I'm sure you can find someone to build it for you (on muffwiggler or somewhere else)
- Jasper is cheaper I think
Thank you ibiking!
I'm really tempted... and would in fact be more prone to get the JJC Wasp (fully built).
F.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by decoder23 ➑️
that's my Jasper, everyone can make his case like he wants to, it's DIY there have been different versions of the edp wasp too, the "normal wasp" came in cheapish plastic case which tends to break quite fast, and the wasp deluxe came in a wooden case. just counting the pots, the jasper seems to have 3 more than the JJC, which ones are missing on the JJC compared to the Jasper?
A nice looking Jasper!

About the pots, will check when I get to the studio, but I think Jasper also has pots for controlling the volume of OSCs and external input (similar to Wasp Deluxe).
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavioB ➑️
Thank you ibiking!
I'm really tempted... and would in fact be more prone to get the JJC Wasp (fully built).
F.
Cool, if you decide to go for it, you can contact dojaja at muffwiggler, I think he still makes them: MUFF WIGGLER :: View topic - EDP Wasp DIY
Old 14th February 2018
Deleted User
yeah the jasper does have a mixer for osc1, osc2 and external in..
Old 18th February 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by decoder23 ➑️
yeah the jasper does have a mixer for osc1, osc2 and external in..
I checked and JJC Wasp indeed does not have a mixer for osc1, osc2 and external in. I've updated my comparison post above.
πŸ“ Reply