Quantcast
Synth Front End... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Synth Front End...
Old 7th February 2007
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
basscakes's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Synth Front End...

This may be a repeat thread, but I was wondering what type of front end everyone is using for there DAW while recording their synth rig...
Old 7th February 2007
  #2
Lives for gear
 
ShaneFontane's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by basscakes ➑️
This may be a repeat thread, but I was wondering what type of front end everyone is using for there DAW while recording their synth rig...
currently a moog little phatty
Old 7th February 2007 | Show parent
  #3
Lives for gear
 
teknosmoker's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Just recording the bus outs of a Speck Xtramix v5 directly into a MOTU 1224 right now. I'll upgrade the MOTU someday and would loooove to get a couple of different pre's/DI's (starting with something like a Germanium?) when I can afford em'.

-T
Old 7th February 2007 | Show parent
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Syki's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Synths into> Avalon U5's or Radial JDI's >into Summit TPA 200 b or Adesigns MP2a
> RADAR and sometimes from there into Tascam IFTAD into protools.
Old 7th February 2007 | Show parent
  #5
Lives for gear
 
ShaneFontane's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
sorry... read the thread wrong... api a2d into rme multiface 2
Old 7th February 2007 | Show parent
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Dave Peck's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
A bunch of hardware synths connected to a 24 channel Toft ATB console. A pair of Pacific Microsonics HDCD converters for four channels of high end A/D to get into the DAW while tracking, and a 24 channel Euphonix converter for getting back out for 24 track analog mixdown.

DP
Old 7th February 2007 | Show parent
  #7
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
I usually leave everything hooked up like this:

Nord Electro 2>>Pacifica>>ISA428>>RME HDSP9652
Nord Lead 2x outputs 1 and 2>>ADL600>>ISA428>>RME HDSP9652
NL2x outs 3 and 4, and yamaha cs15>>ISA428>>RME HDSP9652
Yamaha DTXTREME IIs>>RME HDSP9652

The preamp difference for synths is subtle enough for me to set and forget it, but for some reason the Electro into the Pacifica really makes a huge difference in clarity and definition. I put it in the mic input and pad the input.
Old 7th February 2007 | Show parent
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Cojo's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
It varies but usually some of these or a combination of them.

Synth --> (CIB and/or Fatso and/or Studer 962) --> Motu 828mkII

Old 7th February 2007 | Show parent
  #9
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
avalon u5 to fatso stike stike stike
Old 7th February 2007 | Show parent
  #10
Lives for gear
 
ShaneFontane's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Peck ➑️
A bunch of hardware synths connected to a 24 channel Toft ATB console. A pair of Pacific Microsonics HDCD converters for four channels of high end A/D to get into the DAW while tracking, and a 24 channel Euphonix converter for getting back out for 24 track analog mixdown.

DP
you lovin that atb or what? come on... throw a pic up
Old 8th February 2007 | Show parent
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Dave Peck's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneFontane ➑️
you lovin that atb or what? come on... throw a pic up
Pictures are in another thread, along with some info. Starting at post #301 on page 10 with some follow-up posts:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...w+pics+on+Toft

DP
Old 8th February 2007 | Show parent
  #12
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
I run everything through my Soundtracs IL3632. Unless I double certian synth parts (ie, I need 10 tracks out of a 6 track monomachine) then I dump tracks into Nuendo 3 via an apogee AD8000.
Old 8th February 2007 | Show parent
  #13
Lives for gear
 
ShaneFontane's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Peck ➑️
Pictures are in another thread, along with some info. Starting at post #301 on page 10 with some follow-up posts:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...w+pics+on+Toft

DP
nice rig dude...
Old 8th February 2007 | Show parent
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Dave Peck's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneFontane ➑️
nice rig dude...
Thanks! I'm diggin it

DP
Old 8th February 2007 | Show parent
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Greg_KPX's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
all synths into allen and heath desk, with a pair of sends patched to the motu ultralite. then its just a matter of cranking the right sends and recording one synth at a time.
Old 8th February 2007 | Show parent
  #16
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_KPX ➑️
all synths into allen and heath desk, with a pair of sends patched to the motu ultralite. then its just a matter of cranking the right sends and recording one synth at a time.
Thats actually a really good idea. I guess it depends on what desk you have though, I'd probably just setup a seperate stereo bus on my desk with the outputs patched into the DAW. That way I just have to hit a button on the channel strips to route the appropriate synth to be recorded.
Old 8th February 2007 | Show parent
  #17
Lives for gear
 
gsilbers's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
virus TI pure 192k into the computer! no interface or nothing whatsoever. thumbsup
Old 22nd February 2020 | Show parent
  #18
Lives for gear
 
burns46824's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBox ➑️
The preamp difference for synths is subtle enough for me to set and forget it, but for some reason the Electro into the Pacifica really makes a huge difference in clarity and definition. I put it in the mic input and pad the input.
Really? Why not the DI?
Old 22nd February 2020
  #19
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
Mackie Onyx 400F. Looking to upgrade to a RME in the near future.
Old 22nd February 2020 | Show parent
  #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilbers ➑️
virus TI pure 192k into the computer! no interface or nothing whatsoever. thumbsup
Well that worked . . . until Catalina! (Of course, a lot has happened since 2007!) Me:

Access VirusTI Polar β†’ S/PDIF β†’ Roland M-1000 β†’ iMac USB.
Access VirusTI Polar β†’ MIDI-DIN β†’ M-Audio M-Track 2x2M β†’ iMac USB.

Its excellent Fatar 37-key keyboard and solid Access build makes it my DAW's plug-in controller of choice:

Old 22nd February 2020
  #21
Lives for gear
 
TornadoTed's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I have a MOTU 16a for 16 inputs into Pro Tools

My balanced gear, TR8s, Peak, MC-707 runs straight in via balanced cables.

My unbalanced gear, MAM MB33, Nord Drum 3P run through a custom unbalanced to balanced box I built from these modules before going into the MOTU via balanced cables.

http://www.audiomaintenance.com/acat...nded_info.html
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 5 views: 7566
Avatar for Remoteness
Remoteness 25th October 2002
replies: 28 views: 2007
Avatar for Bob Olhsson
Bob Olhsson 4th September 2005
replies: 149 views: 51555
Avatar for lifesize
lifesize 6th February 2011
replies: 57 views: 6370
Avatar for Fishmed
Fishmed 19th June 2009
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump