The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
JP-8080 Still Love or Dated?
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPogo ➡️
JP8000, sure -- with keyboard death imminent (something about the glue?)

8080 on the other hand doesn't have that issue, and they did add a few extras. Not gonna find it for the 8000's price.
Any repair shop can fix the keyboard on a JP8000.
IF it needs repair. Not every vintage synth has problems.
eBay has a money back guarantee, btw.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanEdberg ➡️
Last few year prices have shot up X3 the price it was
It's the effect from Junos/Jupiters going into the upper outer limits of space. Juno 60s are nice but they are not 3500-5000 (lol) dollars nice. I genuinely like the old JP-8000, but no, it is not worth the same amount I paid for a factory second System 8 (1000).
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich ➡️
Any repair shop can fix the keyboard on a JP8000.
IF it needs repair. Not every vintage synth has problems.
eBay has a money back guarantee, btw.
True. But still, a 8000 is not an 8080; the market value of one is not a guide to the other -- and that's what I was responding to.
Lives for gear

to repair my jp 8000 sound issue(the one thats most common)

And this is aona factory sitting unit i purchased two hrs ago never even used... the headphone jacks still work

and other than its MINT

but to repair it is about 400 total....
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanEdberg ➡️
Last few year prices have shot up X3 the price it was
The latest in a long line of such market increases. And evidently people really are paying those prices, at least some of the time.

Perhaps this is a symptom of something larger: a perfect storm of people stuck at home, with means to buy, and increasing interest in specific forms of music. And time to spend on forums, where a consensus may be reached on the "best" of something.

And the value of the collector comes to play with older, physical items that no longer manufactured.

And the value of the specifist: getting the exact machine which made that one specific sound.

Interestingly, market value mainly reflects the perceptions of those who don't have one. The JP didn't become 3x more useful -- or 3x more often heard -- just more desired by those willing to pay 3x the price.

Is it worth it? If you want one, then yes.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by space skeleton ➡️
It's the effect from Junos/Jupiters going into the upper outer limits of space. Juno 60s are nice but they are not 3500-5000 (lol) dollars nice. I genuinely like the old JP-8000, but no, it is not worth the same amount I paid for a factory second System 8 (1000).
the conclusion I came to as well. But the music that inspired me toward synths wasn't featuring JP-80x0 sounds, so there's the emotional factor to consider ... and nobody is motivated to be the Next Synth Star because their favorite music was played on the S8.

Is that rational? No. Does it shape purchasing? Absolutely.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Synths don’t date.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
It's interesting to me that the 8080 has gone up so much in value. That was my first real synth, I saved up for a year when I was a teenager to buy a used one in the early 2000s. Was so stoked to get it but never liked it, it just didn't resonate with me at all sound wise. Sold it to get a Nord Lead 2 which I still love to death.

The JP is my least favorite of the VAs of that era having owned most of them by now, but hey to each their own.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Skip the JP80x0, you still pay a premium for a fun surface & inferior sound.

Get a Yamaha AN1x instead, it’s totally underrated, sounds deeper & will be cheaper.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixelsyd ➡️
Synths don’t date.
Heh heh, me and mrfr0sty are the only ones on here right now...it's almost uncanny!
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
There’s an 8080 on reverb for over 3K AU.
Amazing.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoltz ➡️
Skip the JP80x0, you still pay a premium for a fun surface & inferior sound.

Get a Yamaha AN1x instead, it’s totally underrated, sounds deeper & will be cheaper.
Real estate space, simple as that. AN200, Motif ES etc. are all options to get this sound in a reasonable and way-better-build enclosure. Kenton Plugstation would be another option, never seen one for sale.

So next, or after-that acquisitions will be an 8080 for 1.2€ because well, i always wanted an 8000 but cant afford the space. And they will not lose value.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GildedLindworm ➡️
Real estate space, simple as that. AN200, Motif ES etc. are all options to get this sound in a reasonable and way-better-build enclosure.
There's something to the small-size argument, though the 8080 isn't the only smaller solution. Of course, some say its Supersaw is uniquely more supersawish than anything else, so perhaps there's that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savagery ➡️
It's interesting to me that the 8080 has gone up so much in value. That was my first real synth, I saved up for a year when I was a teenager to buy a used one in the early 2000s. Was so stoked to get it but never liked it, it just didn't resonate with me at all sound wise. Sold it to get a Nord Lead 2 which I still love to death.
This strikes closer for me, since I just similarly traded mine away for something else which I like better. As I recently told my wife (while she tried to feign interest), The JP-8080 is a great-sounding and interesting synth, but what I traded it for is more obviously useful *for me and what I do*. Which is obviously not a universal (or even constant) value.

For reference: the JP-8080 was one of several synths I bought to investigate, before prices rose beyond my means. Besides the 8080, I also bought an Ion and a AN200. All have their pluses but cover similar territory; add a Sledge and a System 8, and I clearly had too much of a good thing.

So: I liked it fine, and it was still quite usable -- but it wasn't particularly essential to my particular palette/goals/uses. And the irrationality of its increased market value meant I could trade it for something that I knew for a fact was really appropriate for me: the poly after-touch Hydrasynth.

Would i have rather traded something else? Probably; there was a lot to like in the 8080. Would I trade the AN200 for the AN1x? Probably not, precisely for GildedLindworm's reasoning above. Will the Ion get more use now the 8080 is gone? It had better, or that goes too. Would I trade either of these to have the JP8080 back again? Probably yes: there's a lot to be said for that interface. But I'm certainly not sorry to have traded it for a Hydrasynth.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by littledoodler ➡️
I don’t get the hype. I had the keyboard version for awhile. Sold it. Never regretted it once. For that price you could buy a Moog matriarch which sounds light years better.
the hype is a lot of nostalgia but also what genre of music youre into ....the JP 8080 is the best of the best when it comes to supersaws . Incidentally I just received an email from Roland saying theyre gonna release "A legendary polyphonic synthesizer soon " ...that may be the JP 8000 hopefully.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I bought my JP8k new in 1998 or so. I remember the day I got it, too. It's still here, and in pretty dang good condition. It was right there when my career took off, so many memories with the thing. There is no amount of money which would entice me to sell it (if someone came along and offered me $20k, the answer would be a hard "no"). It is probably silly to be this spiritually attached to a physical object, but I couldn't care less. If it ever breaks I'll get it fixed.
📝 Reply