The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is this FM or Something Real?
Old 14th April 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Is this FM or Something Real?

Hey again guys. I also seem to have trouble identifying real sounds versus vst or synthesized sounds...Does anybody have a clue on what this sounds like to them. It sounds like a cross between an EP or some kind of FM, glass thingy, or something from Ominisphere? It's the sound that comes in right away at the start of the song at the :13 mark. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Old 14th April 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Might be an Ensoniq VFX?
Old 14th April 2016
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Interesting sound followed by a bunch of horrible crap... way to waste a good sound.
Old 14th April 2016
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
If a digital tree falls in the digital woods simulation...
Old 14th April 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
wow what a HORRIBLE song..

but I agree, digital synthsations from UVI will get you there, has a VFX emulation
Old 14th April 2016
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I get similar sounds running Blofeld wavrtablea through analog filters with a carefully designed envelope. I
Old 14th April 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
many was of doing this.

could be mimicked with a sample of a chime or bell pitched down and filtered then split and run through a bit crusher with just a little of the bit crusher effect filtered in.

or an old noisy cheap rompler playing bells pitched down (kawai k1 or even a casio home keyboard)

can also be filtered fm

my guess is noisy and/or cheap old rompler or an effected sample.
Old 14th April 2016
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esemjayes ➑️
Does anybody have a clue on what this sounds like to them. It sounds like a cross between an EP or some kind of FM, glass thingy, or something from Ominisphere?
For pop and EDM you can see FM as a last resort. Don't use it if something more simple is available.

Omnisphere is completely overkill for this. This is single-cycle waveform stuff that you can get from a variety of sources - it's wavetable stuff without the thing that makes wavetables wavetables (i.e. modulating the index of the waveform).

Try NI Massive, choose a single oscillator without filters (File > New preset). Set the volume envelope to zero attack and a bit of release, sustain level to max.

Set the waveform to something else than default saw/square. Use the WT knob and move it a little bit until you find something that matches. Add a hint of chorus and reverb to sweeten it up and animate a very small bit.
Old 14th April 2016 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai ➑️
Interesting sound followed by a bunch of horrible crap... way to waste a good sound.
Haha I love the beginning the sound, and was going to warn you to turn the speakers down once the other synth starts.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHo Kid ➑️
wow what a HORRIBLE song..

but I agree, digital synthsations from UVI will get you there, has a VFX emulation
So you think it's a VFX?
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebison ➑️
I get similar sounds running Blofeld wavrtablea through analog filters with a carefully designed envelope. I
I'm thinking something along those lines now, not so much FM.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer ➑️
For pop and EDM you can see FM as a last resort. Don't use it if something more simple is available.

Omnisphere is completely overkill for this. This is single-cycle waveform stuff that you can get from a variety of sources - it's wavetable stuff without the thing that makes wavetables wavetables (i.e. modulating the index of the waveform).

Try NI Massive, choose a single oscillator without filters (File > New preset). Set the volume envelope to zero attack and a bit of release, sustain level to max.

Set the waveform to something else than default saw/square. Use the WT knob and move it a little bit until you find something that matches. Add a hint of chorus and reverb to sweeten it up and animate a very small bit.
Yeah, I'm not sure it's FM, thinking it's a wavetable, I know he has a VFX, it sounds really dirty so I'm thinking hardware but could be a vst. My ear tells me it's an actual keyboard but I could be wrong, I hear similar things in those wavetables in Massive but I don't think that's what it is.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer ➑️

there's also a low-level sizzle that responds to the frequency of each note. sounds like 12-bit DACs on an old rompler.

i'm otb so i don't have an answer for this: What approach do you recommend for adding that sound? It's duller than a straight bit crusher.

and there's noise that precedes the first note, sounds like the output noise of an old rompler. for those who don't have one lying around or who want to stay itb, what are there options?
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotunes ➑️
there's also a low-level sizzle that responds to the frequency of each note. sounds like 12-bit DACs on an old rompler.

i'm otb so i don't have an answer for this: What approach do you recommend for adding that sound? It's duller than a straight bit crusher.

and there's noise that precedes the first note, sounds like the output noise of an old rompler. for those who don't have one lying around or who want to stay itb, what are there options?
I've read he has an Ensoniq VFX so it could be that. Not a rompler it uses wavetables.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Also, I don't know any synth that would choose to have it sound that dirty on purpose, I think he made it that way.
Old 15th April 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esemjayes ➑️
Also, I don't know any synth that would choose to have it sound that dirty on purpose, I think he made it that way.
Kawai K1, which can easily make this sound, is this noisy. cheap casios and yamahas too (these are the romplers i'm referring to).

not saying it isn't a vfx or that he didn't dirty up results himself. just saying that lots of cheap gear i've used over the decades can do this sound too by just pressing the octave-down key.
Old 15th April 2016 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Kawai K1, which can easily make this sound, is this noisy. cheap casios and yamahas too (these are the romplers i'm referring to).

not saying it isn't a vfx or that he didn't dirty up results himself. just saying that lots of cheap gear i've used over the decades can do this sound too by just pressing the octave-down key.
It sounds like he resampled it or added distortion later or something or ran it through something. I don't think it came out of a synth like that I own a lot of synths and never heard something come out like that, even ones from the 80s.
Old 15th April 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
My take: The more I listen I don't think it's any kind of Bells thing, which I what I used, sounds more straight forward to me. Could just be an EP emulation, also, that "Dirt", I tried distortion, but it was all over the place, this sounds really consistent, so I used white noise, but it could just be the signal being Distorted in parallel. Also, my playing isn't that accurate but whatever.
Attached Files

Fohawk.wav (4.61 MB, 274 views)

πŸ“ Reply