The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sequential Oberheim OB-6
Old 8th October 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You weren't on 1.6.6? I should have asked what firmware you were on.
Old 8th October 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channelizer ➡️
It's a bug that transmits pitch bend on midi channel 17 when in MPE mode. The synth uses the 17th channel position to mean MPE and then gets confused and thinks it's using channel 17. There is no channel 17 so it is read as sysex! There's a similar bug where you try to send prog changes but it actually sends aftertouch. I told Sequential about these bugs in March.... With my Low Frequency Expander I have to apply some code to unpick and correct this.
Ok looks like I already have the latest Beta 1.6.6 installed, it seems the bug still exists. I am disabling MPE as I don't need to use it in my current use case, and it works as expected with MPE turned off. Thanks for your help
Old 9th October 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Tonight I wanted to see how well the OB-6 can do a dark, mellow pad. And yes, it can, beautifully. I'm really loving this synth so far.

No effects except on the OB-6 itself. I EQed some low end out (as the patch is bassy) and some top end since the OB-6 has an audible noise floor in the high end, noticeable with dark pads. The joys of analog.

P.S. I may record something based on this as a full track soon, using Valhalla reverbs and some Sirin goodness. When time permits.
Attached Files

OB-6 Demo 3.mp3 (11.23 MB, 93 views)

Last edited by kpatz; 9th October 2021 at 03:34 PM..
Old 9th October 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru ➡️
Lovely synth! This is an excellent video that shows what this beauty is capable of. It covers all the features very well too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertflyer ➡️
The intro sound seems unreal! I’ve owned multiple ob-6 over the years and to me something is being processed here like some very decent mastering? Or can the only-6 get that sound easily just raw and direct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Marks ➡️
My OB-6 sounds exactly like the one in the video out of the box, without mastering or processing. I think that this sound uses a bit of the vintage knob.

I obtain the same type of sounds from my OB-6 in my tracks. It always sounds amazing.

Just to revisit the question of processing in the intro, the creator said he used Valhalla shimmer for that intro, which makes sense to me cause my ob6 only sounds that extra smooth and creamy through Valhalla shimmer.

btw, loving my new ob6. It really is a synth that has something unique and amazing.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 ➡️
@ muziksculp

The OB-6. Where 007 lives forever.

Yeah 007 is a great factory sound
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The OB-6 doing the LFO Strings it does so well.
Attached Files

OB-6Strings_1001.mp3 (11.42 MB, 96 views)

Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoTron ➡️
Yeah 007 is a great factory sound
Yeah I love this sound, though I wish I could easily remove that delayed repeat that comes in which seems to be generated by a square lfo but if I remove the modulation the tone is lost.
Old 10th October 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagneticSun ➡️
Yeah I love this sound, though I wish I could easily remove that delayed repeat that comes in which seems to be generated by a square lfo but if I remove the modulation the tone is lost.
Ill have a look at this when I'm at my friend's place who's got the OB6.
Old 10th October 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Isn't 007 a user bank location? If you're talking about a factory preset would it be in 507 as well? I could check it out on mine but I overwrote 007 with my own patch already.
Old 10th October 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
yes 500+ is preset ) 0-499 = user area
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagneticSun ➡️
I found it in 507.

The delayed repeat thingy is weird. It's actually vco1 dropping in pitch suddenly after a second or so, and then it goes through the delay and reverb to get the repeating part (turn effects off and you'll hear vco1's pitch drop suddenly after 1 second). I tracked this to having osc sync turned on and vco1's pitch being swept upward using x-mod... when vco1's pitch reaches that of vco2, its apparent timbre drops in pitch when synced.

Turning sync and xmod VCO1 destination off makes the pitch drop stop, but then the oscs aren't tuned the same as the original patch.

This seems to work: leave osc sync on, turn vco1 xmod off, tune vco1 to B2.
Old 10th October 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Another programming tip: although key priorities only apply to unison mode, the retrigger modes apply to poly as well and control whether the envelopes retrigger when voices are stolen. Something to consider when programming poly patches, the key mode button does serve a purpose.

Also, in a poly patch, selecting a desired priority and voice count is handy if you decide to use the patch with unison on in the future.

A touch of vibrato from the LFO adds a lot of life to the patch, especially with reverb.

Another thing I love to do is start with a dark LPF pad, then use the x-mod with filter envelope routed to filter mode to add some HPF to add sizzle, either at the start of the note (fast attack/slower decay), or more gradually (slow attack). It's like having 2 layers or 2 filters in one.

Last edited by kpatz; 10th October 2021 at 02:56 PM..
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz ➡️
I found it in 507.

The delayed repeat thingy is weird. It's actually vco1 dropping in pitch suddenly after a second or so, and then it goes through the delay and reverb to get the repeating part (turn effects off and you'll hear vco1's pitch drop suddenly after 1 second). I tracked this to having osc sync turned on and vco1's pitch being swept upward using x-mod... when vco1's pitch reaches that of vco2, its apparent timbre drops in pitch when synced.

Turning sync and xmod VCO1 destination off makes the pitch drop stop, but then the oscs aren't tuned the same as the original patch.

Awesome thank you will give it a go when I get the chance. Cheers!
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I found it in 507.

Ok that worked! Thanks again
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Another programming tip: although key priorities only apply to unison mode, the retrigger modes apply to poly as well and control whether the envelopes retrigger when voices are stolen. Something to consider when programming poly patches, the key mode button does serve a purpose.
I need to play with this. I want this to be true, but the original manual v1.1 specifically does say: "Key Assign settings are only relevant to Unison mode. They do not affect polyphonic playback.".
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I need to play with this. I want this to be true, but the original manual v1.1 specifically does say: "Key Assign settings are only relevant to Unison mode. They do not affect polyphonic playback.".
Key Assign settings is unison mode only, but envelope retriggering applies in poly mode as well. I confirmed this today, I was playing something with the sustain pedal down and once voices started stealing the envelopes stopped retriggering. I then switched to a retrigger mode and then the envelopes always retriggered even when stealing.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Also, in a poly patch, selecting a desired priority and voice count is handy if you decide to use the patch with unison on in the future.

A touch of vibrato from the LFO adds a lot of life to the patch, especially with reverb.

Another thing I love to do is start with a dark LPF pad, then use the x-mod with filter envelope routed to filter mode to add some HPF to add sizzle, either at the start of the note (fast attack/slower decay), or more gradually (slow attack). It's like having 2 layers or 2 filters in one.
This is fun stuff, thanks.
Old 11th October 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
what happened to that OB-6 app editor that someone is developing on here?
Old 11th October 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Isn't 007 a user bank location? If you're talking about a factory preset would it be in 507 as well? I could check it out on mine but I overwrote 007 with my own patch already.
Yes but on a new machine all presets are doubled, so 507 and 007 were the same. Or at least that's what i think, it's not my machine, but i remember really liking patch 007
Old 12th October 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Another quick demo. This one has 3 tracks (lead, bass and pad) recorded with the OB-6, and some Valhalla VintageVerb thrown in.
Attached Files

OB-6 Demo 4.mp3 (1.95 MB, 107 views)

Old 12th October 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Another quick demo. This one has 3 tracks (lead, bass and pad) recorded with the OB-6, and some Valhalla VintageVerb thrown in.
Nice! Try pairing the OB-6 with Supermassive for some super massive drone action (the Viger preset kills on that sometimes, depending on the note you hit).

I stumbled across that fact and ended up basing an entire song around it based on what it made me think of (it's a dark electro-industrial song w/samples no vocals). I never know how to share a song without it seeming like I'm pushing traffic, so I'll just say that's not my intent. I'm also not that skilled so don't think anyone would feel pressured to buy, anyway!

https://callforsubmission.bandcamp.com/track/vespiary

Stylistically, the song is probably a bit FLA and a bit Xorcist, but I never set out trying to emulate anyone. I consider this my Halloween song.
Old 12th October 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Nice! Try pairing the OB-6 with Supermassive for some super massive drone action (the Viger preset kills on that sometimes, depending on the note you hit).
I'll have to give that a try sometime. I have Supermassive (as it's free) but I've never really messed with it. Guess I have to sometime.

Nice track too (so far, playing it now)
Old 25th October 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Sorry if this has been answered (I looked but it’s hard to comb hundreds of pages of posts.)

Are the digital effects in parallel? I.e Is only the effected part of the sound going through the adc/dac with the original dry portion of the signal still completely analogue or do both the wet and dry go through the adc/dac when not bypassed?
Old 25th October 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clbraddock ➡️
Sorry if this has been answered (I looked but it’s hard to comb hundreds of pages of posts.)

Are the digital effects in parallel? I.e Is only the effected part of the sound going through the adc/dac with the original dry portion of the signal still completely analogue or do both the wet and dry go through the adc/dac when not bypassed?
As far as I know, if the effects are engaged all audio is routed through the digital (24/48 I think). Effects off = fully analog path. There's no wet/dry mix. On or off.

Note that distortion is fully analog.
Old 25th October 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
According to the manual, with the effect switch off it's a true analog bypass, signal path is analog from the voice mix to the output. When on, the audio passes through the ADC/DAC, though it isn't clear if the dry signal is still analog or if the wet/dry mix is digital. I would guess it's digital, since otherwise there'd be no need for the master effects on/off, which activates the analog bypass. I could be wrong though, I'm not a Sequential engineer.

The effects path itself is serial. With effects on, Voice mix->Distortion?->ADC->FX A->FX B->DAC->Master Volume->Output (I don't know where the distortion effect actually is in the chain, I'm guessing before the digital effects... I didn't see that mentioned in the manual) EDIT: Distortion comes before digital effects.. just confirmed on my unit.

EDIT 2: If both effects are set to OFF the analog bypass also remains in effect even if the effects switch is ON.

With effects off, Voice mix->Distortion->Master Volume->Output
Old 26th October 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm about to pull the trigger on the Soundtower OB-6 editor/librarian, is it worth it? Most of the chatter I've seen says the randomizer is worth the buy alone. What's your thoughts here?
Old 26th October 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj.anti.matter ➡️
I'm about to pull the trigger on the Soundtower OB-6 editor/librarian, is it worth it? Most of the chatter I've seen says the randomizer is worth the buy alone. What's your thoughts here?
Hi,

I have the Soundtower VST editor for the Prophet REV2, and it's also a librarian. A super useful utility.

I'm most likely going to purchase their VST editors for the OB-6, and Prophet 6. Haven't done so yet.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Old 30th October 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
New OB 6 should I return?

HI all
Bought a new OB 6 last week finally had time to play it. Have been having major tuning issues. Yes I ran the calibration. The problem is not just that the note may be out of tune it also wavers significantly( like a LFO filter is on it) by many semitones? If it was just a calibration issue shouldn't the note be off yet maintain its pitch?

I have reset the calibration data "manual +holding down 3"
It will work for a while then I will come back a few hours later and the pitching shift starts again?

Just wondering if anyone out there in OB land has had similar issues?

Maybe I just got a lemon?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo44 ➡️
HI all
Bought a new OB 6 last week finally had time to play it. Have been having major tuning issues. Yes I ran the calibration. The problem is not just that the note may be out of tune it also wavers significantly( like a LFO filter is on it) by many semitones? If it was just a calibration issue shouldn't the note be off yet maintain its pitch?

It will work for a while then I will come back a few hours later and the pitching shift starts again?

As temperature changes the oscillators may drift. Keep recalibrating over time and it should get better, if it's not a hardware issue.

If you initialize a patch (Manual+Write), do you still get the wavering? Are all modulations turned off (LFO, X-mod, aftertouch)? Check the pitch wheel too (if you have a keyboard OB-6). There's a wheel calibration that may help if you're having pitch/mod wheel issues.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo44 ➡️
HI all

After arriving at a new locale or wiping the tuning tables. You need to run the tuning many times so it can learn the nee environment and temperature fluctuations. Keep running the tuning routine so it can build a new history for your home. So maybe once an hour or every time you go to use it. Eventually it should know your environment better.

I just run the tuning every time I fire it up and once before committing anything to audio.
📝 Reply