The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Arturia MatrixBrute
Old 18th November 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSax ➡️
Meanwhile, I’m using the MxB and loving it!!! No stress waiting here... love this synth. My fav.
For reals. I feel like this is a 123 page thread where 100 pages are just posts asking for an update.

Meanwhile I rediscovered that the Arp/Sequencer mode allows for Seq Mod. I hadn’t used the mode often so forgot about that feature—very unique for an arpeggiator!
Old 24th November 2019
F5D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It is already a big relief to hear that they are working on the firmware and some here have reported that they are beta testing. This means that there will be an update eventually. My guess is also that this might be the only update that we will see for this synth, so it is best that they put all effort in it and fix all that is found in the beta testing. No need to rush it out.
Old 24th November 2019 | Show parent
Gear Head

When it takes almost 3 years, you can't speak bout rushing.
Deleted 0ec6b8e
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanPS71 ➡️
When it takes almost 3 years, you can't speak bout rushing.
I normally wait half a decade before complaining, so 2 more years until I start making Arturia memes
Old 24th November 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Brexit is looming, it was claimed the firmware would arrive before brexit
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 0ec6b8e ➡️
I guess the lack of response means the update is unlikely to drop this year ?

I’m not so sure about that.

Old 24th November 2019
Deleted c1687fe
I am on the fence still about buying the MB - I used to be cautious because of all the complaints here but now I just realize that I might not be ready to make really good use of a really deep monosynth. But after playing one for a couple of hours I will say I think even without the update it's the best anslog monosynth I have ever seen, not that I am some synth connoisseur.

But I have a theory about this firmware update now that I have been an arturia customer for a while - I think they would not have doubled back to waste project management and coding and QA resources unless they needed to get the firmware in shape for a new product to be built on top of the same firmware.

So my namm 2020 prediction, or at least future arturia hardware announcement prediction, is something analog that is new from arturia that is related in some way and shares at least some of the same DNA. Or is it RNA? Whichever one is analog.
Old 25th November 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gminorcoles ➡️
I am on the fence still about buying the MB - I used to be cautious because of all the complaints here but now I just realize that I might not be ready to make really good use of a really deep monosynth. But after playing one for a couple of hours I will say I think even without the update it's the best anslog monosynth I have ever seen, not that I am some synth connoisseur.

But I have a theory about this firmware update now that I have been an arturia customer for a while - I think they would not have doubled back to waste project management and coding and QA resources unless they needed to get the firmware in shape for a new product to be built on top of the same firmware.

So my namm 2020 prediction, or at least future arturia hardware announcement prediction, is something analog that is new from arturia that is related in some way and shares at least some of the same DNA. Or is it RNA? Whichever one is analog.
I will say i was not even on the fence, never had an interest for the MatrixBrute until one day I started playing with it in the store. I can now honestly say a year later regardless of the firmware update it’s my favourite and I have quite a few monos and when the firmware comes it will be the icing on the cake and the cake is already sweet. I wouldn’t sleep on the MB.
Old 25th November 2019
Lives for gear

I have to hold myself back from recommending it on every "which synth" thread.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenstino ➡️
I will say i was not even on the fence, never had an interest for the MatrixBrute until one day I started playing with it in the store. I can now honestly say a year later regardless of the firmware update it’s my favourite and I have quite a few monos and when the firmware comes it will be the icing on the cake and the cake is already sweet. I wouldn’t sleep on the MB.
+1, had the same experience; online videos had me interested, but a store tryout was completely convincing. Matrixbrute has many hidden gems (current favorite is the sublime paraphonic mode), and it compliments my OB6 and original MS20 really well.
Old 25th November 2019
Lives for gear

When I think about the MxB, I feel such joy because I feel like there's no (mono) sound that I can't create with it. I'm so used to frustrations and limitations in other instruments (and life in general), that the MxB gives me such a great feeling of freedom. It's very liberating, like being able to breathe after not realizing I've been holding my breath.

I know this sounds like hyperbole, but that's really how I feel about it.
Old 25th November 2019
Lives for gear

Aaaand right after I post that, the Poly D drops...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek ➡️
Brexit is looming, it was claimed the firmware would arrive before brexit
If Churchill were in charge, we'd get the firmware by now.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone ➡️
If Churchill were in charge, we'd get the firmware by now.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaping ➡️
Aaaand right after I post that, the Poly D drops...
So? It's not nearly the synth the MatrixBrute is. Doesn't have the memories. Doesn't have the mod matrix or real time matrix controls. Doesn't have the Steiner-Parker filter. Arturia isn't trying to become a megacorporation.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy ➡️
So? It's not nearly the synth the MatrixBrute is. Doesn't have the memories. Doesn't have the mod matrix or real time matrix controls. Doesn't have the Steiner-Parker filter. Arturia isn't trying to become a megacorporation.
Yes, feature-wise, of course it's not even close. But it sure sounds good! I'm not going to give up the Brute for it, no way, but I might get one alongside. Budget and wife approval are my problems with yet another hot synth dropping right now.
Lives for gear

Ratcheting is one of the top feature requests for the sequencer. Arturia has already said it won’t be in the firmware...but it’s already possible if you use the LFOs as Attack/Decay envelopes and ignore the normal envelopes.

Check out the video I made for details!

Old 26th November 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyaguy ➡️
Ratcheting is one of the top feature requests for the sequencer. Arturia has already said it won’t be in the firmware...but it’s already possible if you use the LFOs as Attack/Decay envelopes and ignore the normal envelopes.

BRILLIANT!

Thank you for sharing your newly discovered MxB ratcheting expression methods.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyaguy ➡️

Nice thanks
Lives for gear

You’re welcome! By the way I’m just using one LFO as AD EG for both VCF and VCA in the video but you can of course use a separate one for each of you want. Or also use the mod matrix to modulate the LFO/AD with the seq mod or standard envelopes, etc.
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
To expand a little on the LFO style ratcheting, as shown in guyaguy's excellent tutorial video, here are 3 additional techniques:

1. The LFO waveforms are bipolar, so straight up VCA modulation only gives a half cycle of sound. This can be offset, literally, by assigning a Macro knob to the (VCA) column where the LFO is assigned. Turning the Macro clockwise will shift the waveform towards the positive - for a downwards sawtooth this results in a variable longer gate time and also in a "hold" at the start since it is being saturated as well. Turning the Macro counter clockwise gives shorter gates and less amplitude.

2. Using negative values for the MOD lane gives a longer gate time. Used together with the Macro assignment above, gate length and saw-envelope saturation or lower volume can also be adjusted.

3. By assigning the ratchet LFO to the filter VCAs (Level) instead of the final VCA, you can get separate ratcheting for each filter. This allows a combination of rathceting notes and continuous notes through the two filters (or another ratchet division using the other LFO with a different Seq Mod Mod Amount for its rate - it's the MxB, so may things can be done!).

By setting the sequencer Gate time to max, rather than using max release time for the VCA envelope to ensure full base volume for the whole step duration (A = min, D = min, S = max, R = any value), then using the techniques above for variable gate times per step (for non ratcheting steps) in addition to the ratcheting.

BTW, the upcoming firmware has a couple of goodies that can be made good use of for the LFO ratcheting method...

I'd like to share an example patch, but being on the new Firmware, I'm afraid that'll have to wait. However, like the previous case (the drum example), I can post audio. The attached snippet is an example of using 1, 2 and 3 to get a complex articulated sequence with one ratcheting and variable gate sound and one non-ratcheting accented sound playing together. The ratcheting part uses VCO 1, the non ratcheting "bass" part uses VCO 2 and 3 tuned to an interval. The Macro for the ratcheting gate-length/saturation is being tweaked a little for a couple of passes of the 16 note sequence.

There is some ratcheting discussion on the Arturia forum, including both the LFO method and the patch-cable self-triggering method (a bit unwieldy in practice) here.

Attached Files

RatchetEx.mp3 (1.96 MB, 1833 views)

Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hello everyone!

Sorry for not keeping you updated these last days, things have been quite hectic with the ongoing V Collection promo.
For those wondering if the update will be out before the brexit....
The 2.0 update should be released by the end of the week
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

DrJustice, thank you, that audio sample sounds so good!

Edouard - omg omg omg

Last edited by kwaping; 26th November 2019 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: "o" in the wrong place
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Praise the lord , and Arturia
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Great stuff, thanks for the development of new firmware.

I dont suppose there is any chance of giving us the release notes, or some shorter list of main features/fixes in advance of the actual release is there? I would like to whip myself into a frenzy whilst waiting for the actual release
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I've been a pretty loud voice on here regarding the needed bug fixes/development of the brute. I hopped on the beta recently and have to say, my expectations have been exceeded by Arturia's development team.
Obviously, we all will have ideas and hopes for more development in the future and Arturia will hopefully continue support for this wonderful synth. That being said, I think everyone here will be quite happy with the new OS.
I can't wait to see what people do with it!
Exciting times for the patient brute peeps!
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edouard Arturia ➡️
Hello everyone!

Sorry for not keeping you updated these last days, things have been quite hectic with the ongoing V Collection promo.
For those wondering if the update will be out before the brexit....
The 2.0 update should be released by the end of the week
Way to go Edouard!

Hope you have devs standing by for the inevitable bugs that
slipped through the beta net.

Now I guess we'd all better commit all matrixbrute work in progress MIDI to audio to get ready for the update!!

Rens
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtroost ➡️
Now I guess we'd all better commit all matrixbrute work in progress MIDI to audio to get ready for the update!!
Backing up your MxB using the MIDI Control Center should do it (Click the "Recall to Computer" button). You can reinstall the current FW and reload that backed up project if the need should arise. That should be quicker and easier than lots of recording.
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

DrJustice, have you listened to the Poly D demos yet? I'm wondering if the big Brute can cover that ground, or if I should start saving money. Thanks!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaping ➡️
DrJustice, have you listened to the Poly D demos yet? I'm wondering if the big Brute can cover that ground, or if I should start saving money. Thanks!
Yes, I've listened to some. It sounds good - it's Moog circuitry, so that stands to reason. The MxB can do good "general" Moog/Minimoog impressions, but the actual Minimoog circuitry of a D probably can't be beat if you want to get 99% there. If you can utilize an MxB and a PD as simultaneous sound sources, then why not, if you like them both
📝 Reply