Quantcast
New Roland Space Echo @ NAMM??? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Roland Space Echo @ NAMM???
Old 21st December 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
New Roland Space Echo @ NAMM???

I did a search to see if anyone was talking about this yet but haven't found it. Please re-direct me if there is another thread.

It looks like Universal Audio does not have the Roland Space Echo plug-in available anymore. Do you think this means Roland will be offering a new delay at NAMM? If so, surely it won't be actual tape. No??? Thoughts? Maybe Roland bought the rights back and will make their own plug-in???

ALSO: Roland Corporation proudly announces that its legendary RE-201 Space Echo effects unit has been chosen to be inducted into the TECnology Hall of Fame, Class of 2016.
Old 21st December 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
When this happened my guess was that Roland is preparing an ACB Fx device and doesnt want no competition or issues with UAD stuff.
Old 21st December 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
"actual tape" BWAHAHAHA--

Yeah, people are expecting Roland to make its own, possibly ACB modeled, software versions of those classic effects, since they've finally decided to enter the soft world.
Old 21st December 2015
Deleted User
Roland could always reissue the RE-3 Digital Space Echo

Old 21st December 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox ➑️
"actual tape" BWAHAHAHA--

Yeah, people are expecting Roland to make its own, possibly ACB modeled, software versions of those classic effects, since they've finally decided to enter the soft world.
Gotcha!

Trust me, I wasn't expecting Roland to be making tape anything anymore. I figured it had to do with licensing. Makes sense that they would want that name back if they are going to enter the software world.

I have the UA Space Echo plug-in and think it is pretty darn good. I wonder if Roland could come out with something superior.
Old 21st December 2015
Deleted b788fee
I would love this ... Just make sure it doesn't look like a janky guitar pedal (RE-20) and maybe throw in some other effects as well ...

There's a real lack of desktop effects modules that aren't geared toward guitarists ... But as more synths arrive sans effects, there's an opportunity here ...

Hopefully, a re-issue would include stereo inputs for synths ...
Old 21st December 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Well, there are pedals and there are pedals that i would have on my desk ...

REPLICATOR β€” T-Rex Effects
Old 21st December 2015
Deleted b788fee
There are, I agree ... (Roger Linns' AdrenaLinn III comes to mind even though it only has mono input ... )

But most are too limited in scope ... Personally, I'm looking for something that does the basics really well (reverbs, choruses, delays, filters) with a large smattering of extra effects (overdrives, bit crushers, eqs, etc.) ...
Old 21st December 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
In the original AIRA videos, the Space Echo made frequent appearances alongside the 808, 909 & 303. The original prototype TR-8 had an interesting detail that changed when I performed a perspective correction on it: What would eventually be labeled "Delay" appears to be labeled "Space Echo" - my guess is that the emulation wasn't where it needed to be by the time they launched the AIRA line, and the research they put into that work could be implemented in a different unit.
Old 21st December 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathant ➑️
In the original AIRA videos, the Space Echo made frequent appearances alongside the 808, 909 & 303. The original prototype TR-8 had an interesting detail that changed when I performed a perspective correction on it: What would eventually be labeled "Delay" appears to be labeled "Space Echo" - my guess is that the emulation wasn't where it needed to be by the time they launched the AIRA line, and the research they put into that work could be implemented in a different unit.
That prototype picture brings me back

Anyway, the TR-8 already has a space echo like delay, if I'm not mistaken.

edit:
Delay 1 and 2 are tape delays, I think that's what the prototype was referring to.
edit2:
"The TR-8 has enhancements like Tape Echo, Gated Reverb and Scatter" - AIRA - The First 24 Hours With the TR-8, TB-3 and VT-3
"Gated Reverb" seems to have been written on the prototype too, so my guess is that they later added more reverb and delay variations and thus needed to generalize the names.
Old 21st December 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Is there an echo in here?
Old 21st December 2015
Deleted b788fee
In space, no one can hear you echo ...

Old 22nd December 2015
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
I saw something about the Roland Space echo being inducted into the hall of fame as one of greats our our time recently, that's what all the latest talk is about isn't it..??
Old 22nd December 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 ➑️

i love this machine
Old 22nd December 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
There's lots of room for good stereo fx units so if they bring out something in the 300 euro range that does a solid space echo emu and adds a few things like a dj style low/high pass filter and some other fx like phase/flange or even the juno chorus with a dry/wet knob on it i think it could be a nice unit. Pretty sure they have all the algorithms for all of this already so it's a matter of putting it in a nice desktop box the size of the vt3
Old 18th November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Bump! Did anything ever comes of this ? I've just developed a bad case of gear lust for a space echo. Plus I don't really need it for my music, just ashamedly love the look of one
Old 18th November 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 ➑️

warmth knob...
why did they left this out on the acb boxes.
Old 18th November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It might be on the next "expansion"....
Old 19th November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wow. Blast from the past.
I was wondering about this last year as Universal Audio stopped selling the Roland Space Echo plug-in. I think it is called something else now, but it's not Roland anymore.
I thought they were gonna reintroduce their own plug-in. We'll see.
Old 19th November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I think a real tape clone would be amazing. ACB emulating everything about the tape physics, capstan, heads, cross talk, leakage could be amazing too.
Old 19th November 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveItAll ➑️
I think a real tape clone would be amazing. ACB emulating everything about the tape physics, capstan, heads, cross talk, leakage could be amazing too.
I agree , Def a market for this? Such a history behind the original unit with so much variety of applications. In light of the resurgence of hardware I can only hope. A plugin would be cheaper and arguably more versatile but you can't beat a nice box! Or a warm knob lol
Old 19th November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Their re20 pedal is some years old now but still sounds very authentic. If they improve on that it's gonna be a no brainer purchase.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga ➑️
Their re20 pedal is some years old now but still sounds very authentic. If they improve on that it's gonna be a no brainer purchase.
i had one a few years ago, alongside a RE201 and a SRE555.
i felt that the RE20 was just good enough for live use. sold it after a few gigs, it always sounded horribly harsh to me.
Old 19th November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
No one else thinking Boutique?
1st of February "201" day
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by intuitionnyc ➑️
Wow. Blast from the past.
I was wondering about this last year as Universal Audio stopped selling the Roland Space Echo plug-in. I think it is called something else now, but it's not Roland anymore.
I thought they were gonna reintroduce their own plug-in. We'll see.
It's still the same plugin ( as well for the chorus and the DimensionD). It's just that they had a temporary license to use the name Roland with it, which is over now and reverted to the name UAD instead.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceNoir ➑️
No one else thinking Boutique?
1st of February "201" day
I'm always afraid to say the B word lol, 201 day has a ring to it though!!
Old 19th November 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
ACB space echo !! Bring it on!!
Old 19th November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The worry would be that they make it smaller, like a lot smaller.

Alongside all the hate from the proper gearslutz who had the decency to invest in perfect condition orignals that have been refurbished and loved
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman ➑️
It's still the same plugin ( as well for the chorus and the DimensionD). It's just that they had a temporary license to use the name Roland with it, which is over now and reverted to the name UAD instead.
I think I remember a UA rep coming here and saying Roland unexpectedly terminated the license for those products. I strongly suspect that was a move to counter upcoming ACB FX plug-in/plug-out products.. I'm sure RE-x0x series is somewhere on their roadmap..
Old 19th November 2016
F5D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anything Space Echo from Roland would be nice, even a digital unit in rack format. I have not acquired the Boss pedal, because it is unnecessarily huge and shaped for guitar use, but luckily the d16 just yesterday released the Repeater delay plugin that pretty much covers all my delay needs. Of course it is not a solution for OTB work, but for ITB, quite a killer plugin.
πŸ“ Reply