Gearspace.com

Gearspace.com (https://gearspace.com/board/)
-   Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production (https://gearspace.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/)
-   -   Prophet 5 (rev3.0) or Prophet 6 (https://gearspace.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1051388-prophet-5-rev3-0-prophet-6-a.html)

studio460 24th September 2018 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suburbanbeat (Post 13528303)
. . . I'd go for the Prophet 6 and go on a Hawaiian vacation with the difference.

I highly recommend visiting Kauai. It's the prettiest island with the most rain forest and the fewest visitors. We try to go every year. Avoid Oahu at all costs. The Big Island is a giant rock—dry and uninteresting—very little rain forest. Maui is nice but there seems to be more awesome sights and hikes on Kauai.

FabGear 24th September 2018 09:11 AM

To me if you can get a good working Prophet 5 for the same cost as a 6 it's a no brainer. At that price you could probably make a $1000 or so if you wanted to sell it and you have as much time as you want to try it out.

Synthpark 24th September 2018 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intuitionnyc (Post 12387065)
I tried to love the P6 but couldn't. It sounded way to sterile for me. I felt I got more character out of many other synths.

If you engage just a bit of subtle distortion and slop, sterile sound transforms into "mojo". I also tried the P6 in the shop. As long as there was no distortion in the sound, sound was quite boring, resonance sounded thin. But with distortion the synth plays out all its strenghts. I am glad, my new OB6 has the distortion as well.

string6theory 24th September 2018 10:15 AM

Add a little bit of osc freq in the aftertouch section and you get some “dynamic detune” (aka slop) per your playing pressure.

drBill 26th September 2018 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveH (Post 13534004)
I have an original Prophet-5 that I got new.

Besides being worried about going through the last to the Curtis chips I have.
(Was doing some synth design at the time and still have spares.)
And needing to adjust and clean some key buss wire. And needing to work
in the keyboard to even out the key height. (And it doesn't have that many hours on it.)

I’m just not as “free and easy” with the Prophet-5.


Yes I love this sound. But practically speaking I get more use out of the new
Prophet 6 and OB-6. And I never have to worry about what’s gonna need fixing or adjusting next.

They get used so much I have bot the keyboards and the desktops of each.

Nice DaveH! I've been considering the same. I bought my P5 new in 1980 and it will always remain, but I hope to add a P6 sometime soon. BTW, I'm in NorAZ too!!! kfhkhkfhkh

Grumblepig 26th September 2018 02:31 AM

I'm splitting my time between a P6 and a P5. I do love the Prophet 6, though it's taken effort to accept it as its own creature, and not as an almost/not quite P5. Slop has never been the key for me, and detuning the oscs doesn't bring that gorgeous blurriness of the 5 into play. But the P6 does "beautiful" quite well. And "interesting," to be sure. And it's an immensely playable synth. I've never spent so many hours just wandering the keys. I play it more than I play piano now.

The P5, however, still has the instant vibe every time I come back to it. The unevenness, the fuzziness come from an unknown place, far as my ears are concerned. The fact that I live with a P5 part of the year hasn't stopped me from wanting to buy another one. Madness, by some standards, but I hold the Prophet 5 to be one of the most beautiful instruments.

I know how fortunate I am to have both synths in my life, but there's a weird "grass is greener" twang to it all, as the P6 and P5 live several countries apart. When I'm with the P5, loving every sound that it makes, but worried that every note might be its last, I miss the P6 for its reliability and calm demeanor. When I'm with the P6, I'm running it through this chorus or that, or begging the fine tune knob to somehow fritz out and go just a bit ancient on me. Yeah, I'd love to have them in the same room, MIDI'd up together, but that's years away.

I have to say, as I've mentioned in other posts on GS, I value the tips and tricks I've learned here regarding bringing the Prophet 6 closer to home. Lowering the levels of the oscs in the mixer etc. And no matter any grumblings I have or wishes for a Prophet 5.5, I love the 6 and will never part with it. But that P5 sitting 4 feet away... damn.

string6theory 26th September 2018 09:04 AM

And that warm and invitingly organic strip of wood above the 5 octave keyboard has got to be the sexiest strips of wood in synth design history! That’s some fuzz factor right there, fogetaboutit. bumpkin

maisonvague 26th September 2018 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumblepig (Post 13537332)
The P5, however, still has the instant vibe every time I come back to it. The unevenness, the fuzziness come from an unknown place, far as my ears are concerned. The fact that I live with a P5 part of the year hasn't stopped me from wanting to buy another one. Madness, by some standards, but I hold the Prophet 5 to be one of the most beautiful instruments.

Nicely put. I feel the same. hooppie

suburbanbeat 26th September 2018 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by string6theory (Post 13537650)
And that warm and invitingly organic strip of wood above the 5 octave keyboard has got to be the sexiest strips of wood in synth design history! That’s some fuzz factor right there, fogetaboutit. bumpkin

When I'm being honest with myself, I admit that this its design is one of the main reasons I've lusted after a Prophet 5 for over a decade now. For that reason (and the many reasons listed in this thread), I'd really only spring for a Prophet 5 if it were for a smoking deal. I own a GliGli-upgraded Prophet 600, and as I recently mentioned in another thread, I found that I am able to match many Prophet V3 (Arturia's Prophet 5 VST) patches to the point that they are nearly indistinguishable.

I'd be very curious to see a real, carefully done shoot-out between the Prophet 5, Prophet 6, and Prophet 600. Perhaps the results would be sobering enough to stop my dreaming about a P5 once and for all.

It's so pretty.

Grumblepig 26th September 2018 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by string6theory (Post 13537650)
And that warm and invitingly organic strip of wood above the 5 octave keyboard has got to be the sexiest strips of wood in synth design history! That’s some fuzz factor right there, fogetaboutit. bumpkin

I have a feeling there are some of us on the planet who will go to our graves babbling to eternity about the P5, but yeah. I've always felt one could hear the wood and metal in the sound of a Prophet 5. I'm thrilled with how lovely the P6 looks and sounds, but I hear "electronic" more than "organic" when I play it. Not knocking, just saying!

drBill 26th September 2018 06:17 PM

I had a client with a P600 and I could never get it close to what I was used to on my P5. Close, but never quite as luxurious a sound as the P5.

ScottMG 27th September 2018 03:00 AM

It's only a tough call if you can't afford a Prophet 5. That's not to say a P6 isn't a great synth for the money. It's really just what you can afford. They are both worth their market price.

Scott.

Deleted 83f48a0 27th September 2018 03:21 AM

@ Ollivolli did you end up keeping the P5? Did you program any of your own sounds? I saw a post where it sounded like you bought it.

string6theory 27th September 2018 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suburbanbeat (Post 13538160)
When I'm being honest with myself, I admit that this its design is one of the main reasons I've lusted after a Prophet 5 for over a decade now. For that reason (and the many reasons listed in this thread), I'd really only spring for a Prophet 5 if it were for a smoking deal. I own a GliGli-upgraded Prophet 600, and as I recently mentioned in another thread, I found that I am able to match many Prophet V3 (Arturia's Prophet 5 VST) patches to the point that they are nearly indistinguishable.

I'd be very curious to see a real, carefully done shoot-out between the Prophet 5, Prophet 6, and Prophet 600. Perhaps the results would be sobering enough to stop my dreaming about a P5 once and for all.

It's so pretty.

I’ve seriously considered adding my own sexy strip of wood to my P6, then adhere a new Sequential logo on top. There’s room above the keyboard damit! :cop: :cowbell: :synth: hittt rockout :tut:

jkthtyrt