Gearspace.com

Gearspace.com (https://gearspace.com/board/)
-   Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production (https://gearspace.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/)
-   -   Prophet 5 (rev3.0) or Prophet 6 (https://gearspace.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1051388-prophet-5-rev3-0-prophet-6-a.html)

greggybud 22nd December 2015 06:43 PM

I think Prophet 6 prices are going to drop faster than what I would have expected.

I purchased mine new for $2100 2 weeks ago. And as said, it includes the P5 factory sounds but they are just vague starting points.

So there really is a huge price difference.

I'm so happy with my Prophet 6. It's immediate. No menus, not complicated, and so very easy to make fantastic sounds. It will be very easy to write over the 500 factory presets. It also has some features I find valuable not found on the Prophet 5 such as controllable slop, sequencer/arp, effects that can be completely bypassed, and, unlike the inconvenient pots on my OB8...pan spread.

GSF 22nd December 2015 06:43 PM

P6 no question.

Ham 25th December 2015 10:00 PM

I don't understand , do people blindly spend thousands on old gear without testing them ?
I have many old keyboards and units and have had maybe 100$ in repair costs over ten years.
Then again, i never eBay , so that might be why , but needless to say, the people saying vintage = problems either have no older stuff , got incredibly unlucky or blew all their money on something without testing it

Alndln 25th December 2015 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham (Post 11567463)
I have many old keyboards and units and have had maybe 100$ in repair costs over ten years , but needless to say, the people saying vintage = problems either have no older stuff , got incredibly unlucky or blew all their money on something without testing it

Or there are guys like me who's Korg X-3 started having key response problems and some keys not responding at all over time. After a Google search it turns out it's a common problem for Korg's of that time (M-1 etc.) which had something to do with some kind of glue drying out over time. The only qualified Korg repair shop within reasonable distance from where I live wanted $1500.00 to repair it. That's $200.00 more than I paid for it new. Plus all the buttons stick. So I either try and do it myself and risk screwing it up by taking it apart and putting it back together or pay another overpriced repair bill. Similar story with other old synths and rack synths that I BOUGHT NEW. I now have a sizable junkyard of old synth gear that's not worth the cost of fixing. I'm lucky I'm a guitar player and only use synths at home for recording so I now use soft synths only these days.

Ham 25th December 2015 11:09 PM

watch my Pro-One catch fire tomorrow morning.

burns46824 26th February 2016 08:52 AM

Prophet 6 sounds pretty darn good to my ears...just record it to tape and use vintage reverbs!

However, I don't think it has the grit of the Pro One if you're looking for bass sounds. I would assume the Prophet 5 rev. 2 sounds better...dunno though.

GNeuman 8th June 2016 09:42 AM

As I write this, there are 2 Prophet 5's on Ebay, a Rev 2 for $8799 USD and a Rev 3 for $6699 USD!!

Is the original really worth this much more than the new Prophet 6? :facepalm:

muziksculp 8th June 2016 10:20 AM

Yup,

Prophet 6 kfhkh

It is a modern classic of the old classic Prophet 5, and it offers more features, is lots of fun to work with, and sounds amazing !

Cheers,
Muziksculp yingyang

ALESIS-ION 18th January 2017 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dpro (Post 11547241)
That's a tough call right there. I would go play the P5 and see if your ok with Curtis filters. VS a discrete analog recreation of the old SSM 2240 filter in the rev1 and rev2 P5. Which is what the P6 has.
If you don't like the P5 as much buy it and resell it as they usually sell for a fair amount more than P6's. Then go buy a P6 and pocket the extra cash. :lol:

Regardless of the p6 having modeled SSM filters, I much prefer the sound and vibe of my rev 3.0. I spent some time with the p6, and while nice, just leaves me a bit flat. (I don't care about the arp or seq or FX, just raw sound)

ALESIS-ION 18th January 2017 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greggybud (Post 11561729)
I think Prophet 6 prices are going to drop faster than what I would have expected.

I purchased mine new for $2100 2 weeks ago. And as said, it includes the P5 factory sounds but they are just vague starting points.

I'm so happy with my Prophet 6. It's immediate. No menus, not complicated, and so very easy to make fantastic sounds. It will be very easy to write over the 500 factory presets. It also has some features I find valuable not found on the Prophet 5 such as controllable slop, sequencer/arp, effects that can be completely bypassed, and, unlike the inconvenient pots on my OB8...pan spread.

Yeah, but does it really sound as nice as a p5? Not to me...

ALESIS-ION 18th January 2017 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greggybud (Post 11561729)

The prophet-5 still is unsurpassed in warmth and character, even now.

I can live without the arp an seq, and have zero need for onboard FX.

intuitionnyc 19th January 2017 05:13 AM

I'll provide my two cents although I will probably get killed here for what I have to say:

I tried to love the P6 but couldn't. It sounded way to sterile for me. I felt I got more character out of many other synths.

I tried a P5 rev 3 at a shop and was in love. It had the mojo that the P6 IMO does not have. The owner of the synth shop was nice enough to put them side by side for an A/B comparison. For me, and this is just my opinion, it wasnt close.

In conclusion, it is neither for me. The P6 doesnt do anything for me and the P5 is a vintage analog beast that I want no part of. I would love it, but if it ever broke, it would be costly to fix.

I personally think there are more inspiring synths out there for me like an OB-6. Although, I will say the P6 is probably a more versatile synth than the OB-6.

If you like the P6 though, I would go for it. This is all about what YOU like. I would go for something more reliable and with a factory warranty over something expensive that might break. Just my opinion which ultimately means nothing.

Best of luck with whatever you chose and have fun!!! :)kfhkh

burns46824 20th January 2017 01:15 AM

In the context of a mix, they're probably close enough. However, there is nothing like the old gear. Not sure why that is, but it's true in my experience. The low end on my Pro-One is just BETTER than my MoPho.

Gringo Starr 20th January 2017 02:41 AM

Out of all the vintage synths I've owned and played the P5 definitely has the most Mojo and life to it. There's a lot of vintage synths that I've never played or even heard in person so I guess take that with a grain of salt.

In my opinion there's no modern synthesizer that even comes close to the tone and energy the P5 has.

ALESIS-ION 8th January 2018 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ollivolli (Post 11549576)
I see, yeah I heard something about that as well, but surely it wouldn't be all presets from P5?

Is it likely at all that a P5 will drop in value or will it just increase over time? (If it's kept in good condition of course)

If you are a preset guy, why buy a programmable synth with knobs? Just buy a workstation Rompler.

clusterchord 8th January 2018 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALESIS-ION (Post 12386079)
Regardless of the p6 having modeled SSM filters, I much prefer the sound and vibe of my rev 3.0. I spent some time with the p6, and while nice, just leaves me a bit flat. (I don't care about the arp or seq or FX, just raw sound)

i agree, however P6 filters sound absolutely nothing like the SSM in Rev2. its just marketing. nothing in reality to substantiate it.

anyone who claims there is sonic similarity is either tone deaf, or hasnt a clue how a P5 rev2 sounds.

fwiw, i love both P5 revisions but my first port of call more than decade ago was to grab a rev2. nowadays, would love to have the curtis version as well, as it has its own wonderful sounds, but have hard time to justify such gluttony. just few days ago i spent the afternoon jamming on a collegues rev3 going uhh ohh ahh all the time. its incredible what one can squeeze out of a prophet5, this board was made for improvisation and sound design on the spot.

i never got one milisecond of such pleasure playing a P6. onboard fx are okay in a pinch in a live situation where you want to minimalize gear you carry. but once you are carrying a 49 key polysynth you might as well grab a strymon or eventide , or two..

zerocrossing 8th January 2018 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clusterchord (Post 13058857)
i agree, however P6 filters sound absolutely nothing like the SSM in Rev2. its just marketing. nothing in reality to substantiate it.

anyone who claims there is sonic similarity is either tone deaf, or hasnt a clue how a P5 rev2 sounds.

fwiw, i love both P5 revisions but my first port of call more than decade ago was to grab a rev2. nowadays, would love to have the curtis version as well, as it has its own wonderful sounds, but have hard time to justify such gluttony. just few days ago i spent the afternoon jamming on a collegues rev3 going uhh ohh ahh all the time. its incredible what one can squeeze out of a prophet5, this board was made for improvisation and sound design on the spot.

i never got one milisecond of such pleasure playing a P6. onboard fx are okay in a pinch in a live situation where you want to minimalize gear you carry. but once you are carrying a 49 key polysynth you might as well grab a strymon or eventide , or two..

I don’t think Dave ever said the filters in the 6 were a direct clone, did he? I’ve always read that they were “based on” or “inspired by.”

Like everything in life, you should never expect something to be an exact duplicate of something else. There will always be a degree of difference. I know that the Prophet 6’s much wider parameter range makes it a better choice for me. Yeah, through modulation you could get the 5’s filter all the way open, but the 6 allows for it via the filter knob alone. I think that extended range puts people off. Is there also some mojo that I’m missing? Probably, but small things like velocity and aftertouch add up to huge differences to me. So whatever “life” the 6 lacks, I can more than make up for it with extended expression. Maybe Dave could have released a 1:1 (or as close as possible with modern components) Prophet 5 reissue, but it does’t sound like he’s interested in going backward. I know that when I heard someone play the keyboard part from One Of My Turns on the Prophet 6, I was sold. Of course, there was no way for me to do a direct comparison (who knows how much compression and EQ Pink Floyd’s part went through?) but it made me smile. When I got he 6, I never really tried to do any sort of comparison but I just started using it... and I loved it. I still do. People laughed at me and said, “oh, you’ll have it up on eBay as soon a the honeymoon is over!” Well, it’s been years. Not only did it not happen but I added another synth with that filter to my rig. (Pro 2)

ALESIS-ION 8th January 2018 10:51 PM

Quote:

I hear you. So you think Dave is lying about modeling his new filter on those original SSM's?

My p5 is a 3.0--1981. A few dirty key contacts, but otherwise still working great.

There is just something to the p5 in it's general personality that always puts a smile on my face.

I'm sure if I spent more time with a p6, with all FX bypassed, it might grow on me, but I don't expect it to sound like a p5. It's not meant to.

string6theory 9th January 2018 02:33 AM

I'd get a brand new, mindblowing Prophet 6+6 (keys + module) any day over a $6K to $8K+ vintage P5 rev-1,2 or 3. Not even a close decision imo.

You get a (pseudo) multitimbral Prophet with separately modulatable sets of voices - which is a phenomenal capability for this synth. The possibilities are truly endless. Much better than polychaining for 12-voices, though that's also available at the press of a button.

Double down on an OB 6+6 and you're truly good to go! hooppie

There's nothing like sound designing, practicing, playing, jamming and recording live with a multitimbral Prophet or OB. Double tracking after the fact is completely different and much, much, much less inspiring or practical. You'll simply never hear what you never hear. (Kinda like, you'll never know what you never know gooof).

The 6+6 configuration provides a much enhanced sonic level & synergy for these two analog synths.

I can't recommend either highly enough.

peachh

Zasterz 9th January 2018 04:36 AM

Quote:

Agree. I am glutton enough to have both revs 2 and 3.3. (Though not both OBX and OBXa! :heh:). I try not to get involved in these threads where people claim anything sounds just like them, “try to tell the difference in this demo”, etc. They are really special to me, and different enough from each other too. And contrary to what’s often suggested, I’d be perfectly happy if everyone else thought Repro sounded the same and drove the vintage prices lower– I’m not planning on selling mine ever and it would be nice to source parts cheaper, buy a backup machine, etc.

gunnare 5th August 2018 06:50 PM

Hello all!

I want to do some modelling work for the prophet5 filter . (Any rev. is interesting)
Do you have a prophet5?

This is what I need to analyze the filter: A mp3 or wav audio file

A single note with a single waveform.
Each note ca 4 seconds long (to give time to study scopes and freq analyzers).
Cutoff at 0, 2.5 5 7.5 and 10 Each setting played for 4 seconds, then a little pause before next setting.

The same with resonance at 10 would be nice, but the file mentioned above would be fine to get me started.
You can upload it somewhere and make it available to all , or post it to the emailadress at the bottom of this webpage:
浥浯特浯潮⁳祮瑨敳楺敲

I would appreciate it a lot!

All the best
gunnare

Mutantt 5th August 2018 08:02 PM

One of the best VA developers above.

gunnare 5th August 2018 10:21 PM

Looks like Dan Goldstein at Acoustica will help me. He has 4 Prophet5 and 1 Prophet10.

kvmoore 6th August 2018 05:27 AM

About the P5 presets in the P6, I don't see how ALL of the presets in the P5 would be possible for the P6 (mind you, I haven't had the opportunity to play either instrument.) purely based on specs and the differences between the two synths in physical architecture. For example, the P5 oscillators can have their waveshapes stacked at the press of a button (or couple of buttons) whereas the P6 oscillators has a knob to select the waveshape, thus making stacking any combination of waveshapes not possible.

Yes, the P6 also has the sub oscillator but it's no substitute for stacking waveshapes. I would think only the presets from the P5 that don't utilize multiple stacked waveshapes per oscillator would be the ones that would also work on the P6 architecture.

daviddever 6th August 2018 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kvmoore (Post 13456088)
About the P5 presets in the P6, I don't see how ALL of the presets in the P5 would be possible for the P6 (mind you, I haven't had the opportunity to play either instrument.) purely based on specs and the differences between the two synths in physical architecture. For example, the P5 oscillators can have their waveshapes stacked at the press of a button (or couple of buttons) whereas the P6 oscillators has a knob to select the waveshape, thus making stacking any combination of waveshapes not possible.

Yes, the P6 also has the sub oscillator but it's no substitute for stacking waveshapes. I would think only the presets from the P5 that don't utilize multiple stacked waveshapes per oscillator would be the ones that would also work on the P6 architecture.

In the second half of the SHAPE pot travel, you're effectively mixing odd and even harmonics, which gives you more flexibility than the on-off waveforms (as you can set the relative levels).

suburbanbeat 20th September 2018 03:48 PM

I'm bumping an old thread here, but I just thought I'd chime in with my perspective. The Prophet 5 is the only synth that I still lust for (well, maybe the T8 too), but I have to admit that, with the release of the Prophet 6, it doesn't make a ton of practical sense. Standard, factory-installed MIDI, stereo output, velocity, and an extra note of polyphony are massively helpful features of the 6 that the 5 lacks. Given that the 6 is also half the price, comes with a warranty, and is immensely more reliable (and thus less costly) than it's 40 year-old brother, it is simply the better value by a long shot.

BUT, the slimmed-down construction of the Prophet 6 makes it less attractive by my tastes, and the 5 has a larger keyboard. So, there are some arguments to be made for the Prophet 5, but if I had the cash to choose either, I'd go for the Prophet 6 and go on a Hawaiian vacation with the difference.

Deleted d14cc4f 20th September 2018 04:27 PM

I'm finally going to list my Prophet 5 rev 3.3 for 6k. I found the original receipt the other day and discovered I actually paid only $170(!) for it in 1998. Less than I thought. Nice.

At first I was more than sceptical, but after a month or so, I'm more than happy with the Prophet 6. The P5 presets included in it demonstrate that if you don't hit the damn filter so bloody hard by turning up the bloody oscillators so bloody much, it sounds plenty big and warm and soft and smooth. And stable or not depending on the slop. If you want small and hard, rinse the osc levels into the filter and get another flavour.

Keep oscs low, run it through a nice pre and you have warm vibe for days.

Swapping the 5 for a new P6 and the OB-6 works for me.

maisonvague 20th September 2018 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horseface (Post 13528381)
I'm finally going to list my Prophet 5 rev 3.3 for 6k. I found the original receipt the other day and discovered I actually paid only $170(!) for it in 1998. Less than I thought. Nice.

At first I was more than sceptical, but after a month or so, I'm more than happy with the Prophet 6. The P5 presets included in it demonstrate that if you don't hit the damn filter so bloody hard by turning up the bloody oscillators so bloody much, it sounds plenty big and warm and soft and smooth. And stable or not depending on the slop. If you want small and hard, rinse the osc levels into the filter and get another flavour.

Keep oscs low, run it through a nice pre and you have warm vibe for days.

Swapping the 5 for a new P6 and the OB-6 works for me.

Wow. That's a bold move. Good for you!

Personally, I could imagine adding a P-6 to my studio, but not replacing a P-5 with it. Still, I understand your thinking here and wish you success with the sale. A P-6/OB-6 combo would indeed be very nice.

DaveH 24th September 2018 06:45 AM

Love the old, but new gets used more.

I have an original Prophet-5 that I got new.

Besides being worried about going through the last to the Curtis chips I have.
(Was doing some synth design at the time and still have spares.)
And needing to adjust and clean some key buss wire. And needing to work
in the keyboard to even out the key height. (And it doesn't have that many hours on it.)

I’m just not as “free and easy” with the Prophet-5.

Yes I love this sound. But practically speaking I get more use out of the new
Prophet 6 and OB-6. And I never have to worry about what’s gonna need fixing or adjusting next.

They get used so much I have bot the keyboards and the desktops of each.

studio460 24th September 2018 08:39 AM

Wow! Two Prophet 5-to-Prophet 6 converts! It seems both of you had both units at the same time. How do they compare?