Quantcast
Roland ACB sampler rumor - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland ACB sampler rumor
Old 21st November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Roland ACB sampler rumor

Rumour comes from a certain GS member on the Rap + Hip Hop production sub-forum: Roland is going to get all your money after NAMM 2016!

I'm considering this to be true as the guy already leaked the MPC Touch a month before it being officially announced (james jeffreys anyone? ). This time around he claims he caught an early Roland promo vid. I guess that's plausible, we know they previewed Aira to a lot of famous electro producers.. and there were also very early reports of boutique series (that mainly went unnoticed yet were proven correct) maybe marketing is doing similar with US hip-hop producers.. a performance MPC type ACB sampler also makes sense.. so anyways here is the rumoured info so far:

Roland has a new 16 Pad sampler/workstation coming and the ACB modeling features I told you about is nothing compared to the other features they're talking about for this new hardware.

Despite anyone's opinions about ACB technology, Roland has been winning with the AIRA and Boutique lines.

Anyone who's impressed with their MPC's, Maschines and Push 2's are going to lose their minds when the NAMM presentation is made.

Models Include:

Emu SP-1200
Emu Emax
Emu Emax 2
Emu ESI-32
Emu ESI-4000
Korg SDD-2000
Akai MPC-60
Akai MPC-3000
Ensoniq Mirage
Ensoniq ASR-10
Ensoniq ASR-X
Sequential Circuits Studio 440
Yamaha SU700
Casio SK-1
Casio RZ-1
Casio FZ-1
Roland W-30
Roland SP-808
Roland SP-303
Roland SP-404

Last edited by xanax; 21st November 2015 at 11:58 AM..
Old 21st November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Mv9000. I'll take 2
Old 21st November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If it is just an emulation of the way th A/D and D/A converters change the sound then I will pass. The sound of older samplers is just a much how they transpose the sample, deal with lower sample rates/bit depth and filters. Interesting though.
Old 21st November 2015
Deleted 2ecf148
Sampler emulation... What really?
Old 21st November 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
^ sampler emulation isn't new.. both Maschine & Renaissance have MPC60 & SP1200 modes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Proton ➑️
If it is just an emulation of the way th A/D and D/A converters change the sound then I will pass. The sound of older samplers is just a much how they transpose the sample, deal with lower sample rates/bit depth and filters. Interesting though.
well Maschine's SP1200 mode already emulates transpose aliasing, filtered outputs etc.. i would assume Roland ACB would take it next-level.. the AIRA/Boutique emus are already pretty thorough, going as far as replicating the swooshy hiss of the analog chorus on the JX/JU or the phase interaction of the snare & clap when layered on TR-8..
Old 21st November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
This could be either absolutely amazing or absolutely terrible lol
Old 21st November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
This is true. And the W-30 model covers the "S" series samplers.
Old 21st November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
^ although W-30 is in the same family as S series.. it was 12-bit / 30kHz max sampling.. and i think lacked some of the bigger S model filters.. it was overall a more gritty sampler then S series..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➑️
^ although W-30 is in the same family as S series.. it was 12-bit / 30kHz max sampling.. and i think lacked some of the bigger S model filters.. it was overall a more gritty sampler then S series..
W-30 sampled at 12-bit and played back through 16-bit converter, exactly the same as S-50. I owned both and all of my S-50 disks sounded the same when I upgraded. It wasn't grittier. It came after the S-50. They certainly didn't make it sound worse.

Both of them were capped at 30kHz and could hold up to 14.4 seconds of samples at the 15kHz rate.
Exactly the same.
Old 21st November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
This would be interesting.

You can say a lot about Roland, but NOT that they're not bringing us a lot of interesting new gear the last couple of years.
Old 21st November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wozniak ➑️
W-30 sampled at 12-bit and played back through 16-bit converter, exactly the same as S-50. I owned both and all of my S-50 disks sounded the same when I upgraded. It wasn't grittier. It came after the S-50. They certainly didn't make it sound worse.

Both of them were capped at 30kHz and could hold up to 14.4 seconds of samples at the 15kHz rate.
Exactly the same.
..yeah the S-50, S-550, S-330 & W-30 share basically the same (lo-fi) engine.. however i was talking about the S-7xx series that came after and had 16-bit sampling at rates up to 48 KHz as well as 5 stage EG multi-mode filters..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

however i was talking about the S-7xx series that came after and had 16-bit sampling at rates up to 48 KHz as well as 5 stage EG multi-mode filters..
Ah! Therein lies the confusion

When you mentioned the lack of "S" series model emulation, I assumed you meant the older series. Didn't see the point in emulating later 16-bit models that were vanilla and devoid of old-school, aliasing, crunchy character.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Didn't see the point in emulating later 16-bit models that were vanilla and devoid of old-school, aliasing, crunchy character.
i respect your opinion but there are some people that would disagree with that statement! fwiw quite a few house legends (including daft punk) were major users of the S-7xx series, renown for it's high-end sheen and tasty filters. some would even argue it's the sound of french disco house.. hence my surprise it appears omitted in favour of much more "vanilla" sounding samplers like E-mu ESI, Yammy SU700 or even Roland SP series..
Old 21st November 2015
Deleted d22f2ee
no doubt it will have 16mb of ram and work in a format that isnt cross compatible , if roland had any brains they would have done an mpc style vsynth sampler by now with at least 1gb of ram and capable of full modulation of all sampler points and maybe even a mod matrix ......ooh that would be so 2015 , i anticipate someone utterly predictable but i hope to be surprised .

I would also like to see a rack sampler by them that can load and store massive kontakt libraries and read them off ssd drive without the need to load but i guess its the Β£299 market for roland now or they wont be doing any really high end gear again.

There would be so much you could do now with a rack sampler / keyboard sampler using modern granular and modulation techniques but i suppose its like' people have reaktor for that ' , shame as i ****ing hate computers in a way i dont hardware keys and racks but just wish the hardware would learn a trick from the software people and make something really interesting for once.

It all feels a small redressing of old gear , they cnat make any of their gear sound as good as the old gear no matter how much they talk bull****e about sdr or ase or ruv modelling using the latest farc processor ( all reads ' bollocks ' to me ) and they seem unable to truely evolve music tech , truely evolve it

its like Every synth they made in the last 3 years should have had a full blow ability to load wavs / keymapped samples into it and realtime modulation of these and start / end / loop points ,

I think they play constant upgrade games , dont give them to much , just give them a little hot air and bollocks in the ad and make it pleasing to 5 year olds.

My only hope is the vsynth department are involved as they seem to have imagination

Last edited by Deleted d22f2ee; 21st November 2015 at 01:08 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

i respect your opinion but there are some people that would disagree with that statement!
Yeah, I'm sure. It's just my opinion. (And preference.) I like older, crunchy samplers. Wasn't even thinking so much about filter models. Just the DAC emulations.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure. It's just my opinion. (And preference.) I like older, crunchy samplers. Wasn't even thinking so much about filter models. Just the DAC emulations.
i like crunchy old samplers too but there are some very nice 16-bit old samplers too (ASR-10, MPC-3000, S-760) that again add a certain mid-late 90s sheen/color.. the way they transpose, boost certain frequencies, filters & even FX (for ensoniq samplers) is all pretty singular and hopefully would be taken into account.. however i see little to no point in emulating something like the SU700 or SP series..
Old 21st November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I call massive BS on this.

The OP of the rumour thread was smacked all over the place through his MPC thread. This is him having a giggle at our expense.

The next Aira product will be the Space Echo.
Old 21st November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
^ of course we can't discard the potential false rumour option.. but i think an MPC type ACB sampler is actually a pretty good idea and would be the next logical move. i also do think ACB FX units are on the way (the recent pull of Roland from UAD suite being a major indicator imo)
Old 21st November 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Take it the guy thinks this is this another "Maschine Killer" like the MPC Touch?...
Deleted d22f2ee
whatever it is it will look like a candy popsicle , plastic fantastic
Old 21st November 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:

[I][B]Roland has a new 16 Pad sampler/workstation coming and the ACB modeling features I told you about is nothing compared to the other features they're talking about for this new hardware.

Despite anyone's opinions about ACB technology, Roland has been winning with the AIRA and Boutique lines.

Anyone who's impressed with their MPC's, Maschines and Push 2's are going to lose their minds when the NAMM presentation is made.
So, this is going to be a drum machine, or pad/workstation, based in the ACB technology, hmm, as general concept it reminds the latest product of Novation, the Circuit. Or maybe it will be something completely different?
Old 21st November 2015
Deleted 2ecf148
will it do pc sound card emulation?
Old 21st November 2015
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Yeah, this rumour seems to be a stretch.
Based on everything AIRA and Boutique so far, I can't see Roland emulating anything that isn't Roland. They couldn't even use the MPC trademark anyway.
I could see them releasing an ACB sampler, but it would be emulating Roland samplers only.
I have S7xx samplers and they have a sheen and a nice filter, but nothing so signature that you'd go out of your way to emulate it.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➑️
Yeah, this rumour seems to be a stretch.
Based on everything AIRA and Boutique so far, I can't see Roland emulating anything that isn't Roland. They couldn't even use the MPC trademark anyway.
I could see them releasing an ACB sampler, but it would be emulating Roland samplers only.
NI (Akai's biggest competitor) has an MPC 60 mode, don't see why Roland couldn't..

.. not to mention every single one of Roland's competitors have included 808/909 presets for the past 20 years..
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
NI (Akai's biggest competitor) has an MPC 60 mode, don't see why Roland couldn't..
Because the AIRA and Boutique lines have been 100% all about Roland emulations.

Quote:
.. not to mention every single one of Roland's competitors have included 808/909 presets for the past 20 years..
In recent years they've made it clear they don't like it, and tried to stop people using their trade mark names. I hardly think they'd immediately start using other company's trademarks.
I just highly doubt this is in the pipeline.
We'll see I guess.
Old 21st November 2015
Deleted 2ecf148
Awe 64 emulation
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushy Mushy ➑️
I call massive BS on this.

The OP of the rumour thread was smacked all over the place through his MPC thread. This is him having a giggle at our expense.
Here's what I think makes this rumor sounds unrealistic: that list of models is simply too long, and some of them seem very unnecessary. Both an ESI-32 and an ESI-4000? SP-303 and SP-404? And who ever said, "I'm really trying to achieve that SP-303 sound". Even if just half of those models were included with such a product, it would be difficult to make them all sound different enough from one another.

I'm a sampler junkie, so I will always welcome new hardware (stand-alone) samplers. I hope Roland does make such a device. Even if it just had a couple of vintage models (or even none at all) I'd probably buy it if the sequencer and UI was done well. But I'm skeptical at this point.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➑️

I just highly doubt this is in the pipeline.
It is.
mp3
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundxplorer ➑️
Both an ESI-32 and an ESI-4000?
ESI-32 = EMU E4 series
ESI-4000 = EMU Ultra Series

Both are probably not necessary, I would tend to agree there... But I think this way they avoid any potential legal issues around modelling the EMU Z-Plane filters.

Which brings another interesting possibility to mind. I'd like to hear what the ADC of an MPC60 sounds like with the interpolation algorithm of the ASR-10, feeding the analog filters and envelopes of the EMAX, and then through the ASR-10 chorus. That would be fun...

Quote:
And who ever said, "I'm really trying to achieve that SP-303 sound".
People praise the SP series as effects processors.

Quote:
Even if just half of those models were included with such a product, it would be difficult to make them all sound different enough from one another.
That's a good point. You're talking very subtle coloration anyway for all the 90's models on that list.

That said, I'm looking forward to the ASR-X and ASR-10 models. If this rumor has merit...
Old 21st November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
why would ACB be used for a digital technology emulation?
Closed